FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront {AUT} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/125891-hilton-vienna-danube-waterfront-aut.html)

m Mar 22, 2002 6:04 pm

Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront {AUT}

I have now returned from a stay at the subject hotel. I was told it was a Holiday Inn until last year, and a Crowne Plaza before that. It is a high class hotel. It is right on the Danube River, and so the view is quite pleasant from your room if it faces the river. There is a trail along the the river for walking. There is a great bar, lobby level, overlooking the Danube. There is a very nice sauna tub in their fitness area. Their rooms are very large, esp. by European standards, and they are familiar with the perks expected by HHonors elite people. There is no executive lounge (unlike the other 2 Hiltons), but the breakfast buffet in the restaurant is very nice, though not as spectacular as at the CDG Airport Hilton. The hotel is not near the center of the action, as with the other 2 Hiltons, but the tram (#21) is 1 block away that takes you to a major U-bahn/S-bahn station, and you can be in the Center (Stephansdom) in less than 30 minutes. So you could consider the location either a plus (overlooking Danube; quiet) or negative (more remote than the other 2 hotels). It is cheaper than the other 2, so its a tradeoff. All 3 Hiltons are very nice, with each one having positives and negatives.

DOC 2 BE Mar 22, 2002 6:19 pm

I "passed" it when I took the hydrofoil from Budapest to Vienna. It was then the Crowne Plaza. I do think that it is near their amusement park, the Prater.

j379pa Mar 22, 2002 11:22 pm

Thanks for your report. I'd like to visit Vienna again, and enjoyed the area you described on my last visit. I'll have to file your info for a future trip!

Any idea where they fall on the point cash-in scale?

JP

JOUY31 Mar 23, 2002 5:38 am

Just had a 2 night stay at the Hilton Danube. Huge rooms - 40 sq. meters - the lobby is somewhat cramped and the decoration of the corridors - grey and orange - is not that elegant. Otherwise pleasant service. Somewhat cheaper than the central Hilton, but you should take into account the difference in price of the airport transfer - 25 Euros by taxi for the Hilton Danube - 5.80 Euros by bus to the central Hilton (City Air Terminal). The Hilton Vienna Plaza is the most elegant and expensive. One last advantage for the Hilton Danube : an outdoor swimming pool.

m Mar 23, 2002 1:58 pm

Regarding JOUY31`s comment, it is not necessary to pay a 25 euro cab fare. You can take the 5.80 euro bus (20 minutes) to the VIE Hilton, and for an additional 1.30 euro public transportation fare, take the S-bahn to Praterstern (1 stop)and transfer free to tram 21. So you can be at the Danube Hilton within 1 hr. from the airport. Or you can take a taxi from the VIE Hilton to the Danube. If you go to the Plaza, which I agree is the fanciest and most expensive, it will cost you just as much, because you have to take a cab or U-bahn from the Hilton. In terms of convenience from the airport, no hotel can beat the VIE Hilton. But there are other considerations, too. All 3 Hiltons have different pluses and minuses, but all are very nice.

Nanook Mar 23, 2002 5:42 pm

Thanks for the report. I had booked the Danube Hilton, then the Vienna Hilton opened up so I changed. We'll be there next month.

I know the Vienna Hilton's rooms are smaller, especially the bathrooms (ugh!), but it's an old sentimental favorite of ours, especially because my husband used to work there when he was more youthful. We'll have dinner at the Vienna Plaza one evening as Werner Matt was chef at the Prinz Eugen restaurant in the Vienna Hilton when that restaurant was wonderful.

Happeejo Sep 11, 2003 1:23 pm

Hilton Vienna Danube

When trying to book for 2 adults and two children it comes back saying 'sold out.'
When I change it to 2 adults and 1 child, it give me the option of 'double double' which Im assuming means two double beds. Under 'accommodations', it states that most rooms have 2 queen beds. Does anyone have any experience at this hotel regarding room size and occupancy limits?
Thanks muchly.

JJeffrey Sep 12, 2003 9:55 am

I had the same thing happen to me when I tried to book a room for 4 people at the Hilton Plaza in Vienna. I'd suggest either making your reservation over the phone or calling the hotel direct after you book online to check their policy and let them know you'll have 4 people.

hmattila Sep 13, 2003 9:52 pm

And be careful at least at danube Hilton. They had no ideas of Gold or Diamond benefits. They told me that if they give upgrade they dont need to offer a free breakfast (I am Diamond). I argued almost with every single employee about this until one admitted that they should give me a free breakfast. But if I would have not played tought, they would never have gave me that.

Also they lost the certificate (was a free stay) which Diamond desk faxed to them. Then they said that is it ok, if they charge my card, since they could not find a certificates.

The whole stay was full of fights, troubles etc. I wrote a long letter to the general manager, he never replied, so I guess even Diamond does not mean much for this property.

Vienna Plaza has always been nice and location 100 times better than the Danube one.

nako Sep 13, 2003 11:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hmattila:
And be careful at least at danube Hilton. They had no ideas of Gold or Diamond benefits. They told me that if they give upgrade they dont need to offer a free breakfast (I am Diamond). I argued almost with every single employee about this until one admitted that they should give me a free breakfast. But if I would have not played tought, they would never have gave me that.
</font>
I hate to break it to you, but the employees were correct. If they upgrade you, they're not obligated to give you breakfast - so long as said upgrade is to an Executive Level room.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">At Hilton hotels outside the U.S. with Executive Floors, Diamond VIPs will be provided with a guest room on the Executive Floor, whenever possible. In cases when there are no Executive Floors or where Executive Floor accommodations have been fully booked, Diamond VIP members will be offered a complimentary continental breakfast each morning or an alternative special amenity.</font>
It sounds to me as if they had a good grasp as to HHonors benefits.

Mike

[This message has been edited by nako (edited 09-13-2003).]

UKTony Sep 14, 2003 4:48 am

Even worse the latest international quide (http://www.hilton.com/en/hhonors/media/pdf/Hilton_HHonors_Member_Rewards_International.pdf) as changed the wording to "will receive additional amenities and/or services, which will vary by property".

So basically an extra bar of soap could be considered sufficent and in my experience of the UK many times even this might be expecting too much!

Consider three recent stays (Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum)

Hilton Coventry. Nothing, standard room allocated on worst side of hotel and the longest walk from reception. At least the points and stay credited but the usual email to Glasgow services was required to get the VISA x2 promo points.

Crown Plaza, NEC. Upgrade to suite, Wine (75cl) and Water, CD player and CDs, Bathrobe, etc etc .. even a 'doggie' bag for the toiletries (Molton Brown) I wanted to take with me.

HI, Coventry. Exec room and letter from manager stating PC policy of Wine (2x35cl), Water and fruit on the first night, water and fruit for subsequent. Even basic PC members got 35cl of wine on the first night!

The 'Hilton' experience is by far the worst and is repeated by Hilton Warwick (a dump next to a rubbish dump IMHO).

edi-traveller Nov 23, 2003 8:41 am

Hilton Vienna Danube

Spent a weekend in Vienna with the Mrs recently. Stayed at the Hilton Vienna Danube - a lovely hotel with excellent facilities.

However, second night we came back from Vienna at abot 10.30pm and had a glass of wine in the cafe (because the main bar was roped off for a conference). We asked for another wine at 11pm and was told that the cafe was closing. I asked for a drink from the main bar but was told that was only for the conference. The best they could offer was a bottle of wine in the room from room service.

Conference or no conference I expect the facilities to be available and to be effectively "sent to our rooms" in a Hilton was unacceptable.

The following day I saw the Director of Operations who was marvellous. She apologised, and treated us to a free dinner on out last evening. I was happy with the way she resolved the issue.

Then yesterday I received in the post a complimentary Hilton Gold Card (I would not have made gold this year just silver).

So overall I'm a bit of a fan of Hilton at the moment.

wbl-mn-flyer Nov 24, 2003 1:23 pm

[edited, I didn't really need to quote the message above, being the first response and all]

Thank you for your review of this new property in Vienna (or one I've only recently heard about in any event).

It sounds like you did have a bad experience, but in the end the on-site management seems to have done a very nice job of making it up to you. It's nice when things work out that way.

[This message has been edited by wbl-mn-flyer (edited Nov 24, 2003).]

PDX1K Nov 24, 2003 8:05 pm

I stayed at this property this summer and thought it was a good value for $85 internet rate. The location is nice along the river but a bit out of the way to the city center. The rooms were just ok but the breakfast buffet was excellent. When we checked in they said that we could have either an upgraded room or breakfast but not both. We chose breakfast since otherwise it was $30 per person. I am Diamond and have never had to choose between a better room and breakfast. Didn't feel like arguing.

PDX1K

ElmhurstNick Apr 20, 2004 1:18 pm

Public transportation

We will be arriving from Salzburg at the Westbahnhof. I know that the hotel is not on a U-Bahn line, but is it on a tram line? Otherwise, I guess I could take the U4 someplace closer (like Vienna Nord station) and grab a taxi.