Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront {AUT}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront {AUT}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by fransknorge
The location is perfectly fine if you do not have a car.
If you have luggage you can go on the bridge on a sidewalk following the road, thus negating the stair. The walk to the metro station is sign posted and I did it late at night alone in the rain without any issue. It is true it is residential and there is nothing around for eating or shopping, except for a Penny supermarket.
I completely agree, I was there this day last year and whilst not perfect I found the walk from stadion station to the hotel safe and not far, there is a small supermarket on route too, as for the hotel I liked that too
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
We are two guys aged 65(+) and prefer using public transport wherever and whenever possible. Going to this hotel by underground and walking with luggage to the hotel (no steps incurred) was most convenient.
Maybe this is a gender thing or it is about European DNA, there was nothing around that might has made us feeling unsafe.
Great location Danube wise, provided that your room does not show to the railway tracks. Otherwise not the Viennese Habsburg Style feeling as in the epi centre. Sissi wouldn’t have stayed here.
But then there are two more Hilton hotels serving better for what makes up the popular image of Vienna.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To clarify for anyone coming to this thread in months and years to come.

There are NO steps from the hotel door to the U Bahn station. Zero steps. The poster has gone the wrong way, no doubt down the steps off the bridge and next to the road.

Walk our the hotel, cross the bridge and then as you start to walk down the hill cross over and walk next to the apartment blocks. That brings you down and passageway to a street with the supermarket, then walk straight, all the way to the train station.

Note the sign posts above your head out by the hotel to show the walking route. It’s a pity the poster wasn’t more observant.

Rooms on the Danube side are very quiet.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 2:00 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,
Was wondering if anyone might know what the current status of the hotel's operation including executive lounge/breakfast in current times? I've emailed the hotel (using an email found on the old Hilton website) and after a week I have still not heard anything back. Planning a trip to Vienna in the coming weeks...and am considering this property as an option.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,
Was wondering if anyone might know what the current status of the hotel's operation including executive lounge/breakfast in current times? I've emailed the hotel (using an email found on the old Hilton website) and after a week I have still not heard anything back. Planning a trip to Vienna in the coming weeks...and am considering this property as an option.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
I was wondering the same but I found nothing about it. I was looking for a stay in July and the best prices are for a minimum of 4 nights so I have to be very sure that everything's fine before paying for a staycation. I'm thinking to take one for the team and book a night using points (67k for a King Executive Room). Also, they opened the pool yesterday, if it matters.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 4:51 am

Stayed a couple of nights one week ago. After booking I received an email with details of what was open and closed (no other hotel on our trip did this).

My experience - I don't know if something has changed already:
- lounge was closed, but we were given a €70 voucher to use in the bar (which was serving drinks and food from the room service menu).
- the restaurant was closed.
- pool was closed, but planned to reopen on 1st July.
- breakfast was offered in the bar - with a relatively limited continental breakfast served a la carte. Egg dishs were not on the menu but were offered.
- fitness was open, but spa/sauna was closed.

I would definitely return to this hotel. We had no special requirements, but did notice that the service we received from all staff was excellent. Providing the voucher as the lounge was closed demonstrates managements commitment to good customer service, in my opinion.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by 8420PR
Stayed a couple of nights one week ago. After booking I received an email with details of what was open and closed (no other hotel on our trip did this).

My experience - I don't know if something has changed already:
- lounge was closed, but we were given a €70 voucher to use in the bar (which was serving drinks and food from the room service menu).
- the restaurant was closed.
- pool was closed, but planned to reopen on 1st July.
- breakfast was offered in the bar - with a relatively limited continental breakfast served a la carte. Egg dishs were not on the menu but were offered.
- fitness was open, but spa/sauna was closed.

I would definitely return to this hotel. We had no special requirements, but did notice that the service we received from all staff was excellent. Providing the voucher as the lounge was closed demonstrates managements commitment to good customer service, in my opinion.
Thanks for your post, it's very helpful! Did you booked an Executive room or are you Gold/Diamond? I'm seeing right now that Executive rooms are available for about 50 EUR extra/night and I'm curious what I get if I pay extra 200 EUR for 4 nights.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 7:52 am

I'm diamond, booked a standard room and was upgraded. As the lounge was closed, I received €70 vouchers (for 2 people) per day for the bar to be used on the normal drinks menu and the room service food menu (which was all that was available). It may have changed now, as it looked like they were gearing up for further guests when I was there.

Again, based on my stay I recommend this hotel.
danieltravel likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 9:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Finnair Plus Platinum, TAP Silver, EB Silver, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond, NCH Platinum , BW Diamond
This was the (main part) of the reply I got from them two days ago:

"Currently our Executive Lounge is still closed. Since we do not know for sure how everything is going to be in the future we do not have a fixed date yet were it will be opened again.

Of course, we have an alternative for our Executive Bookers and Hilton Honors Guests. We have a seperated space in our Bar Area where guests can enjoy almost the same offerings as they could in the real Executive Lounge.
If by any chance we can not offer this at the time you would be here, you would get a voucher for everyday so you would be able to enjoy some free drinks and snacks at our bar.

The breakfast is currently brought to our guests. So you can choose from our breakfast menu and the dishes will be served.

Our pool will be opened again tomorrow - to the delight of all of our guests!"
nldogbert and hugolover like this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 5:09 am

Folks, I said that I'll take one for the team so I'll be there this weekend since the weather seems to finally be on my side. If you have any questions, put them here and I'll look into them.
wizla, LassiJ and FinExplorer like this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:09 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by danieltravel
Folks, I said that I'll take one for the team so I'll be there this weekend since the weather seems to finally be on my side. If you have any questions, put them here and I'll look into them.
Hi Danieltravel,

Did you end up going and staying? Curious about the experience.

Cheers!
hugolover likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by danieltravel
OK, I had two nights (3rd - 5th of July). I booked a King Executive Room using points & money since I have no status to exploit.

First I'll be brief about the amenities you can find (or not) in the room. We were two adults and a four years old and we got only two pillows. Truth to be told, I was asked at the reception if I want a supplementary bed but I said no, although any other day you can find at least four pillows. In the bathroom we had only one shampoo, one shower gel, one soap and two body lotion mini bottles. The executive rooms tend to have bathrobes and slippers but not this time. If you want your room to be cleaned, you have to ask because they're trying to reduce contact (I'd say that they're trying to cut costs but this is just my opinion).

The Executive Lounge is still closed but you can have the breakfast in the Restaurant from 7:00 to 10:00 (in the weekend it used to be 6:00 - 11:00, I think). The breakfast is a downgrade (not that big from my point of view) with just a few variations of cold cuts plus scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages and hard boiled eggs as hot dishes. Only orange juice and water as cold drinks but they still have the usual coffee machine and the tea selection. Into a bar's section, if you're an executive guest, there's an area used from 15:00 to 17:00 for the afternoon tea. They put on display some plates with various sweets and/or fruits but you have to ask for coffee/juices/stuff. Later, from 18:00 to 20:00, you have the Happy Hours with food, booze, soft drinks, and hot drinks.They put on display some standard cold dishes (all the same, no diversity) and an option of hot meal (in the first evening I didn't look, in the second evening they had sea food rice with some veggie fried stuff). In the first evening I had to ask for drinks but in the second they had some wine and beer on display. Then, from 20:00 till 22:00 you can have, if you ask, the usual soft drinks. All in all it's a downgrade and it doesn't worth to pay for an executive room (it's free if you have the status but I don't). Also, the lounge is serviced by only one person that works for the bar too as a waiter and having to ask all the time for anything it's time consuming for anyone. There's a general reduction in staff but they really gave the best so shout out to them, if someone will complain about the service..... just don't, it's inhuman.

All in all it's a downgrade and, while I was expecting this, I won't pay again for an executive room but I will definitely be back because of the location and the staff. In the weekend it was loaded with guests (most of them were like us, from Vienna) and I'm sure it had something to do with the good weather. While there were a lot of guests, I didn't bumped into anyone even a single time because everyone was giving enough space to anyone, no crowds inside elevators (even if two out of four are out of service) because people preferred to wait, so I want to give another shout out for all the guests that were more than patient and civilized. Other than that.... the sauna is closed, max 8 people in the gym (you have to ask for a card at the Reception), max 18 in the pool. Btw, if anyone's a resident of Vienna, I found out that you can use in there the Gastro-Gutscheine. For those that don't know, the City of Vienna gave to its residents a voucher of 50 EUR/family (or 25 EUR if you're a single person) that can be used in bars & restaurants to help jump starting this sector.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good feedback and I'm not tempted. For now I would say its only worth picking boutique small hotels where the offer is largely unchanged or the lower Hilton brands like Hampton which offer little anyway. For example at the top-end Curio Ibiza or something like that.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 2:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Finnair Plus Platinum, TAP Silver, EB Silver, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond, NCH Platinum , BW Diamond
Stayed there four nights last week and in contrast to danieltravel's opinion I actually enjoyed the "bar lounge" more than the normal lounge (if it would have been open).
The sunny warm weather contributed to the positive experience. But how often do you have a service of complimentary soft drinks, big bottles of brand sparkling water, barista made coffees etc. to the terrace and pool for the whole day, with a cake selection between 15-17 (on some days they took them out already before 15 and left them after 17)?
And then a selection of tasty complimentary Spritzers made with Prosecco and served with berries, additional to the booze, beer and wine served to the cozy outdoor terrace between 18-20?

I have to admit that even during the weekdays the bar was sometimes overwhelmed by the requests and it was often easier / faster to pick up the drinks from the bar than to order to the table. On the last evening I think visited the bar maybe only once as all other orders were brought to the table by a very hospitable waitress.
Also on couple of evenings the lounge attendant was one of the "junior employees" and didn't probably know that it was according to the guide lines to put the beer and wine out to the lounge area. After we politely queried why they were out the previous day(s) but not then the lounge attendant called a manager and put them out after getting a confirmation, which then helped the workload in the bar.

The food options were rather limited on most evenings with exception to a tasty fish plate on one evening. For example on some evenings they had a bread selection and on some evenings they hadn't so probably that is the only disappointment compared to the normal Executive Lounge.

I don't know how much danieltravel paid for the Excecutive room and as a Diamond member I had complimentary "lounge service" but with the list bar prices it wouldn't be hard to utilise the current service even for the full room rate with the current Dream Away rates.
Attached Images           
danieltravel likes this.

Last edited by LassiJ; Jul 13, 2020 at 2:46 pm
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:13 am

LassiJ Thank you for the review, I was pretty sure that we're gonna see some improvements.
Quote: "And then a selection of tasty complimentary Spritzers made with Prosecco and served with berries, additional to the booze, beer and wine served to the cozy outdoor terrace between 18-20?"
There were no complimentary Spritzers during my visit and that's only one example. As I see, the beverages are now on display (only in the second evening we got some Zipfer beer and white wine on display).
And yes, next time I'll go with the basic room because we had to pay for 90% of the consumption (food & beverage) and the lounge wasn't very useful for us although it seems to be on the right track. We decided to go back for a few days around the end of month, after they'll have some time to fine tune the services. Nonetheless, I still consider this hotel as my favorite spot in Vienna and thank you again for keeping us updated about the current situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.