Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Success in Getting Property Left Behine Returned

Old Mar 14, 02, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM

I stayed at the Hilton Mesa this past weekend. I am sure I left my phone's battery charger in the room. When I returned home the night I checked out (Tuesday), I called the hotel. They told me they would leave a message for the people in "lost and found." Did I get a return call? No.

Today I called during business hours. The operator told me that lost and found is a function of Housekeeping. I was put on permanent hold. I called back and asked for Housekeeping. I left a message for the Director of Housekeeping. Did I get a return call? No.

Any suggestions on what my next step should be? If they didn't find the charger, I can buy a new one, but if they found it and I can get it back, why bother? Also, what are the chances of getting it back if they did find it? Any thoughts?
Old Mar 15, 02, 12:52 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
I have ALWAYS had to go to the Manager of the Hotel when I have left something behind - my exp has been exactly the same as yours - "houeskeeping" will call me and never does., When I've gone to the Hotel Manager, once I got my property back and once i didn;t.
Old Mar 15, 02, 8:19 am

I had success in getting a brand new HWV t-shirt that had been absentmindedly left in our room returned to me by the Hilton Waikaloa Village. I believe we wrote and called to follow up. They did return the call and promptly. I always loved the property and this just reinforced it as one of my very favorites.
Old Mar 15, 02, 11:21 am

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I forgot something, went back 60 minutes later, nothing there... I believe they throw most of it away.. it was 2 books on my nightstand... (this was at the Palmer House hilton in Chicago)... good luck
Old Mar 15, 02, 12:06 pm

Atleast with some hotels, they hold on to everything left behid for a certain time.

Mom left something at the Heathrow Crowne Plaza. We called and they were happy to send it back, and we paid them for the postage, a polite thing to do. They also had a (near empty) shampoo bottle and a couple of things that we had left behind, so, all was there.

Then again, it was England and I think they are a little more honest than we are.

I left my phone charger at the Woodland Hills Hilton, called the front desk, they checked immediately, found it, I picked it up, since I am local. Was grateful.

I think it depends on the hotel, also the integrity of the staff. Yes, some do steal.

------------------
Michael
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
HH GLD, SCI GLD, MM SIL
LE PRESIDENT ETERNEL DE CAMAIR-CAMEROUN AIRLINES
Old Mar 15, 02, 1:29 pm

I left a very, very nice pair of dress shoes in my room at the Hampton Inn that I frequent. I called housekeeping an hour after I left to ask them to keep an eye out for the shoes. After 3 phone calls with no resolution, I finally spoke with the manager (should have done that in the first place). However, they never "found" the shoes. My guess is that housekeeping found them and kept them. Strange to think that someone is actually "walking a mile" in my shoes...
Old Mar 15, 02, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I called the hotel manager this a.m. and guess what? Within two hours the Manager of Housekeeping called me back. Must have been a coincidence. He said they haven't been able to get into the room. Hmmm.

By the way WorldTraveler, how's Mom?

[This message has been edited by ILuvParis (edited 03-15-2002).]
Old Mar 15, 02, 3:23 pm

I've always had good luck with this. Noramlly, I call reception and talk to whoever is wroking the Front Desk. This makes somebody aware of the situation other than housekeeping. Invariably, I get directed to housekeeping where I try to track down the specific person who cleaned my room. Barring that, I ask the Director of Housekeeping to look into it.

So far, I have had my most valuable items returned. My best expereince with a lost item was at the Radisson Inn in LaCrosse, WI! I had left my pager in the room and flew home to PHX. Reception transferred me to housekeeping, where the person who cleaned my room was waiting. She ran upstairs to the room, called me, had me page the pager, and she found it and mailed it off that day! (It seems my 18month old son, rolled it under the bed.)

Old Mar 15, 02, 8:46 pm

Re: the lost phone battery. Check the local Hertz counters; they're supposed to toss stuff after 30 days. I picked up a replacement charger for my Nokia this way (they gave me the stuff they were due to toss one day).
Old Mar 15, 02, 9:12 pm

Location: DEN, UA PE, Hilton Gold, ** Reactivate Delete Feature**
My one experience was very positive. When I stayed at the Tokyo Hilton in December, in my packing haste I pulled my noise cancelling headphones out of my carryon and set them down, forgetting to put them back. I sent a fax to which I got a prompt reply from the head of housekeeping. He sent them back immediately and refused to charge the expense to my credit card. I was very impressed (it was a very good stay all around.)
Old Mar 15, 02, 9:13 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

I remember I left some clothes behind in the closet while staying at the YVR Hilton which i used to stay at almost everyweek. I didn't even know that I left it behind until I was back next week and my clothes were nicely folded in a bag waiting for me in the room.
Old Mar 16, 02, 5:05 am

Hey all.

I like this board! I love Hilton. What's not to like!?

Mom is good, thanks.

"called me, had me page the pager, and she found it and mailed it off that day! (It seems my 18month old son, rolled it under the bed.) "

Sorry, but this is cute. Kids will be kids, LOL

Empress, how is the YVR Hilton? Marriott(next door) wouldn't upgrade me, I walked over to the Hilton, explained I am Gold, said she would have upgraded me in a heartbeat, Marriott fought me the whole way. Guess where I want to stay next time? Are the rooms large like the Marriott? thanks. Good to see you again and I so enjoyed your trip report, thank you.

------------------
Michael
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
HH GLD, SCI GLD, MM SIL
LE PRESIDENT ETERNEL DE CAMAIR-CAMEROUN AIRLINES
Old Mar 16, 02, 3:11 pm

@ Hilton Irvine (SNA) Airport I left a pair of gold earrings. I realized it as soon as we left the hotel but figured it was two late. Several days, after returning home, we received an HHonors telephone call asking about the stay. I mentioned the earrings. A few days later, the hotel manager contacted me and adv she had secured the earrings and I could pick 'em up when in the area again (I had visit planned)
We called Hampton Inn Indpls Airport about four days after a stay to see if a shaving kit had been left. Was advised negative (found out later we had left @ home), but they did mention that they had found a sweater & jeans in the room. We advised 'em to donate those clothes since they were left intentionally as I'm in the habit of shedding clothing during a trip to lighten my suitcase.
Old Mar 18, 02, 3:26 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
Never have had a lost item in a hotel (that I can remember) until three weeks ago.

Lost my prescription sunglasses at the Waldorf-Astoria.

Finally figured out that is where I had left them three weeks later. Called hotel lost and found. Irene from L&F returned my call in less than an hour saying she could not find them.

Got a call another 30 minutes later saying she had gone to room and looked under the bed , where she found them.

She then mailed them out and I received them today!! Awesome service.
Old Mar 18, 02, 8:56 pm

Programs: United, Starwood
The wife and I left behind all of the stuff we had bought at the Louvre in our room at the Paris Hilton. We realized it at the airport, but didn't have time to go back. We mailed them a letter once we got home detailing all our information and providing an AMEX number for postage. It took about a month in transit, but we got it all back safe and sound. Great service from the Paris Hilton.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: