Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Amsterdam, Netherlands {NLD}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Amsterdam, Netherlands {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:48 pm

Double check for correct information that is up to date on the Anne Frank House website. They have been taking timed reservations only for the majority of the day for some time now. Perhaps there has been a change that I am unaware of, but advice to "just show up" may not be the best advice.

I really disliked the hilton at the airport, so I guess everyone has their own unique tastes. Hampton Inn had good reviews from a fellow traveler.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Try am Indoenesian Rice Tafel, in Amsterdam is the best in my opinion
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
While you are at NDSM wharf, check out the cool food offerings in the area. It is a very interesting area. The DoubleTree is a very interesting building there. I ate a great brunch at Pilek, which is a really cool space in a bunch of shipping containers.

Then I would take the ferry back to the Centraal Station area and then head over to Barneys for a treat and a nice coffee. After I came back down to earth, I would wander around the Jordaan.

East of the DoubleTree by Centraal Station is the main branch of the library. At the top floor is a cafeteria with amazing outdoor views of Amsterdam. Maybe check out NEMO. Take the trams out past Eastern Docklands and into IJBurg and wander around. Check out the neighborhoods on the NDSM side of the IJ. Especially the film museums right by the Veer ferry stop. I found a midnight rave in an old church that played EDM music until sunrise.

I would also highly recommend the DoubleTree by Centraal Station. I loved that hotel. Not sure about the Hilton Amsterdam (except that is where John and Yoko holed up and mentioned in the song 'The Ballad of John and Yoko'). There is a new Hampton over on the East side in Docklands that looks really convenient to try. Rates look really reasonable and it is on a couple of tram lines making it really easy to get into the center part of the city.

Last edited by bitterproffit; Oct 16, 2017 at 6:31 am Reason: clarification
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
Try am Indoenesian Rice Tafel, in Amsterdam is the best in my opinion
And have a Bin Tang beer .
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I agree, the Hilton Doubletree at the Central Station is the best located, if reasonable prices.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Happy Advanced Birthday @wizla, I enjoy your posts and we generally frequent the same properties.

When at the Hilton in Amsterdam ask if their John and Yoko suite is free for a viewing. They are not likely to upgrade you to it but it is a piece of history and I enjoyed the short tour given by the concierge. The hotel has a decent lounge.

The Doubletree at NDSM wharf is nice because of it's unique structure. Very high windows and well fitted out for the extremely limited space. Ask for a corner room on a higher floor. Hotel has no lounge. Take the free ferry from central station, it should go every 30 minutes.

I like the doubletree at central station, but it can be very pricy at times. Their lounge was good too but very busy.

Whenever I am in Holland I do single nights stays and include Rotterdam and The Hague, those are two very nice properties. If I have a car I include the garden inn Leiden and Hilton Soestduinen. Those are basic but extremely good value.

Globalist

Last edited by Globalist; Oct 15, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Sorry to be pedantic but none of this is "mattress running". It's "hotel hopping".
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
We loved Moeders Restaurants. 4.8 Stars! We ordered their dutch sampler. At 5:30, they were already packed and turned away lots of people... Bring a picture of your mother and put it on their wall if you can find a place. Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Province.html
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Sorry to be pedantic but none of this is "mattress running". It's "hotel hopping".
Hotel hopping can also be mattress running albeit one night at a time. (While mattress running is not always hotel hopping).

Especially valid as Hilton has separate qualification criteria for nights and stays.

Globalist
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Jeez.....thanks guys, what a response!......the mattress run , sorry hotel hop.. @craigthemif .......i need three more stays fo diamond re qualify, hotels in Amsterdam seem crazy expensive , the doubletree Amsterdam centraal is more than the Hilton itself.
I Arrive 9-30pm 25th October, I looked at the Hilton at the airport Ł213 batted against Ł87 at the Hampton ( I only wanna sleep) was a no brainier.......the adventure starts the next day, I'm gonna shoot down to the Doubletree ndsm wharf , drop my bag ( maybe check in? ) and EXPLORE ....... I chose the Wharf as I do like being near water, hence mainly staying in docklands whilst in London.......any way, sticking to the point, Ive read all the replies and taken them all on board, I'm very grateful and thank you all.......I'm also looking forward to stay at the Hilton , I've heard great reports!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wizla
Jeez.....thanks guys, what a response!......the mattress run , sorry hotel hop.. @craigthemif .......i need three more stays fo diamond re qualify, hotels in Amsterdam seem crazy expensive , the doubletree Amsterdam centraal is more than the Hilton itself.
I Arrive 9-30pm 25th October, I looked at the Hilton at the airport Ł213 batted against Ł87 at the Hampton ( I only wanna sleep) was a no brainier.......the adventure starts the next day, I'm gonna shoot down to the Doubletree ndsm wharf , drop my bag ( maybe check in? ) and EXPLORE ....... I chose the Wharf as I do like being near water, hence mainly staying in docklands whilst in London.......any way, sticking to the point, Ive read all the replies and taken them all on board, I'm very grateful and thank you all.......I'm also looking forward to stay at the Hilton , I've heard great reports!
I'm not judging. I do it all of the time. Makes perfect sense for stay-based qualification with Hilton and SPG. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to stay more than one night in the same hotel.

I just thought it might be beneficial to clarify the usual jargon. Mattress run is checking into a hotel and leaving without spending the night. Hotel hopping is moving from one hotel to another each night to pick up stay credits but usually spending the night.

I'm just starting off on a mileage run that logically involves staying in a different hotel every night since I'm past sleeping in airports/planes. Now what the heck do we call that?!?!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I'm not judging. I do it all of the time. Makes perfect sense for stay-based qualification with Hilton and SPG. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to stay more than one night in the same hotel.

I just thought it might be beneficial to clarify the usual jargon. Mattress run is checking into a hotel and leaving without spending the night. Hotel hopping is moving from one hotel to another each night to pick up stay credits but usually spending the night.

I'm just starting off on a mileage run that logically involves staying in a different hotel every night since I'm past sleeping in airports/planes. Now what the heck do we call that?!?!
Haha, that's a good point......I probably wouldn't bother and just stay at the Hilton itself but I need three more stays to hit 30 per year and thought it best to get it in the bag.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Happy birthday, wizla!
I really like you reviews! Have a nice time in the Netherlands!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:45 am

Hi Wizla,

Have a Happy Birthday, visit a decent Coffee shop.

Basset
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
@wizla
I have been living in amsterdam since 2006 (currenty out in Asia though), know it well, plus stayed in most IHG/HH/MR hotels, or guested others
(ps enjoy your reports, hope to one of these days will coincide with one of your stays, plus my Birthday is Oct 21st.... different star sign though Libra v Scopio)

nb Hampton airport hotel 15minute train ride (there is a shuttle minibus) and totally isolated, next to eg others eg HIE and CP of IHG.

For first night consider Hampton Bjilmer (direct train from Schiphol) instead of airport Hampton, at least shops etc nearby if you need to get out, and sets you up for next days much easier hotel swap. Hampton East amsterdam also exists but have never stayed there.

DT Central Station (ex Mint) is great location wise for trawling Amsterdam Center, including redlight districts. Plus 10min walk you have metro/trams at CS to everywhere.
DT CS itself doesn't have great rooms, or a good lounge, though restaurant b/f is good, DT upgrades unless to the full suites ( which are rare even for HHD) means a shower only room (no bath). DT CS charges for early checkins so don't bother turning up more than 1hour before checkin time

Hilton Amsterdam is nice. Policy is to try and upgrade HHD's to J/Suite, hopefuly end of corridor canal view. Lounge food is so so, but plentiful, and restaurant b/f is very good, order from a la carte b/f choices via waiters.
Assuming the nearby road to/from ConcertHall/MuseumPlein is no longer dug up, walk 1000m over bridge for trams to MuseumPlein, Ams C. S. etc. Even a fast bus from that location direct to airport in 20minutes.

For getting around get a travel pass for metro+buses, 1day/2day/3day/4day/7day. Can buy at machines in any metro station. Also Tourist Office/GVB outside Ams C.S. that had all the guides/pamplets/sells-tram-tickets

Official City Guide URL
o https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/ (official Ams City Portal)
o https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/i-am/i...rdam-city-card
(The I amsterdam City Card consists of a smart card, a public transport pass and detailed city map and provides over 50 free and 60 discounted offer)

Restaurants
o Recommended Restaurant = Dynasty (next street up from flower market, Reguliersdwarsstraat 30, 1017 BM Amsterdam)
(med Price, excellent food+choices+value, my favourite, signature dish = Secret of Ox)
https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Rest...y-115359-41102

Things/Places to see in Amsterdam
o Walk in Vondel Park
o Floating Flower Market
o Amsterdam Zoo
o MuseumPlein, multiple museums (trams 2, 5, from Ams Station)
o Anne Franke House
o Heineken brewery tour
o Canal Cruises, 2hour and longer (most leave from Ams CS water or at start of Damrak street)
o Canal Hopper Day Pass (can get off canal boats at various stops, eg Ams CS, Leidseplein)
o Redlight district tour (includes drinks)
o Leidseplein square and it's bars
o PC Hooftstraat is THE shopping street in Amsterdam
.. Shops (ALL Famous Brands, Gucci etc) all in one street just off MuseumPlein

Last edited by scubaccr; Oct 19, 2017 at 9:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.