Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Amsterdam, Netherlands {NLD}

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Amsterdam, Netherlands {NLD}

Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scubaccr
@wizla

DT CS charges for early checkins so don't bother turning up more than 1hour before checkin time
Just as a data point, we showed up at the DT Centraal at 10:30am thinking we would ask them to hold our bags til check-in but we were welcomed and allowed to check-in immediately for no charge. The front desk told us that the room we had chosen through digital check-in wasn't ready yet but that there was one on the same floor with the same view available now if we wanted it. Needless to say we took it.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by tschwartz
Agree on the cruise ship feel of the hallways but found the rest of the hotel exceptional. The rooms were were good size and the Sky Lounge upstairs has great views. We stayed in late October as Gold and had access to the lounge for breakfast. It was busy as it was a small room but not crowded and the food was very good for a breakfast lounge.
Interesting...I was Diamond at the the time of my stay and wasn't offered lounge access...hmmm...
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Loved my stay at the DT Centraal. No upgrade as a Gold, but found a great room on the OLCI app. Lots of space. I didn't get lounge access, but found the breakfast buffet in the lobby one of the best I have had in Europe. Really great. Location cannot be beat. I walked everywhere. Fun Tip: You can get a nice lunch with a great view at the top floor of the main Library just a few yards to the left of the hotel past the floating Chinese restaurant. Another Tip: The folks behind the desk can sell you 1,2 or 3 day transit passes for same price as the kiosks at the train station, but since you charge them to your room, you earn points.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Which Hampton?

Originally Posted by Artemk
We stayed at Hampton Arena - the stay was great, but it is truly out of the way. Hampton Centre East is much more centrally located and, I believe, would work better for sightseeing. It will be much easier to swing by your room and take a break, compared to Arena.
I'm going to be in Amsterdam for work in May, and am kicking myself as the dates that I've picked for the trip seem to be the only week that month that rates at both Doubletrees and the Hilton are way above what my employer will pay. The only Hilton properties I can afford are the two Hamptons. I enjoy walking around at night when on these work trips-- last time I stayed at the DT Centraal, which was great for that. Are either the Hampton Centre East or the Arena location located in neighborhoods that would be pleasant to walk around at night? Or am I just out of luck on this trip?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: HH D
I would say walking around into any direction at the Arena property is not necessarily safe. Unless you would leave valuables at the hotel (as I always do in an unknown city). But there are a number of shops and restaurants within 10 minutes if that is what you like. I is a fairly new area. You could always take a 10-15 minutes tube/train to downtown, the station is next to the hotel.

The Centre East property is in a more safe area, but there's not much going around nearby. It is an area that is a mix of old and new residential buildings and offices. There's more different things to see, harbor, residential areas that allow no cars, side by side to 100-year old streets. But you could also take a tram downtown or even walk to it and take the tram back. I like the hike towards the Y-brewery cafe, but it closes at 8 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Sisosig
I would say walking around into any direction at the Arena property is not necessarily safe. Unless you would leave valuables at the hotel (as I always do in an unknown city). But there are a number of shops and restaurants within 10 minutes if that is what you like. I is a fairly new area. You could always take a 10-15 minutes tube/train to downtown, the station is next to the hotel.

The Centre East property is in a more safe area, but there's not much going around nearby. It is an area that is a mix of old and new residential buildings and offices. There's more different things to see, harbor, residential areas that allow no cars, side by side to 100-year old streets. But you could also take a tram downtown or even walk to it and take the tram back. I like the hike towards the Y-brewery cafe, but it closes at 8 PM.
Thanks much! I think I'll give the Centre East property a try. If you have any other restaurant/cafe suggestions in the area, I'd love to hear them.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
QQ - looking at either the DT Central Station, or the Hilton Amsterdam.
What one is better for family who don't mind some walking. We are going to see several museums, and the Anne Frank house, as well as just wander the city a bit.

Three people, three nights. I am not worried about room's so much, will book the larger family type rooms, but more about specific locations.
Though will say that the Hilton ends up being a few hundred cheaper all in.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:51 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
From the Hilton youll likely need to take a tram to the spots you mentioned. If you dont mind public transit (in this particular case very clean and efficient) then the Hilton is probably fine to save $. Its basically in a more residential area. If you want to step out and be in the action and walk to the stuff you mentioned, then pick something more central.
Dad to Rei and bsdstone like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:05 pm

We are trying out the Hampton Centre East later this year. We will be there 4 or 5 days and have no issues with walking or public transport. It's just too good of a deal. We don't spend a ton of time in our room and just need a clean, somewhat quiet space with a good shower and a comfy bed.

Any input on the showers here or if there are any decent upgrades given?

Last edited by MissJ; Jun 13, 2019 at 4:02 pm
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kpbadger
From the Hilton youll likely need to take a tram to the spots you mentioned. If you dont mind public transit (in this particular case very clean and efficient) then the Hilton is probably fine to save $. Its basically in a more residential area. If you want to step out and be in the action and walk to the stuff you mentioned, then pick something more central.
Thanks for the response. I think i will stick with the DT Central Station then. I like the idea of being that close in.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by whimsey21
I think I'll give the Centre East property a try. If you have any other restaurant/cafe suggestions in the area, I'd love to hear them.
Must have missed that question. There's a 'premier' buffet-style organic/vegetarian restaurant nearby called Spirit. Food and pastries all freshly prepared. Very popular with local students and millennials. Think: 15-20 euro for a dinner including craft beer / wine, but they also serve lunch and breakfast. Now, for myself I wouldn't pick a restaurant like that, but just stumbled upon it while walking Czar Peterstraat. I was trying to find a restaurant because the Hampton seems to have back-shifted to 24hr pizza only. Only realized it was vegetarian after looking it up on the internet afterwards..
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Amsterdam Hilton v Double Tree

So planning a visit back to Amsterdam in August. I have been several times before and most recently stayed at Double Tree. This time am considering the Hilton and wondering how it compares to the Double Tree. The rest of my group are all visiting AMS for the first time so I want canal view and good location. Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:13 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by sierranevada
So planning a visit back to Amsterdam in August. I have been several times before and most recently stayed at Double Tree. This time am considering the Hilton and wondering how it compares to the Double Tree. The rest of my group are all visiting AMS for the first time so I want canal view and good location. Thanks
Since the majority in your group are 1st timer - I would definitely go for the DT Central Station (there are 2 DT's in Amsterdam) - this is so much more convenient to do all touristy stuff. Of course no guarantee of canal view (but this applies to the Hilton property too)
Will not really recommend the Hilton property - in my opinion an overpriced property with not much value for money and I can expect in August, prices will be sky high especially if current situation improves and the world opens up further. However it is also not the most suitable property for 1st timers - yes it's relatively close to the Museum quarter area (10-15 mins walk). Unless you are looking for a property which is quiet and residential neighborhood type surrounding, this is the property to go for.

Cheers!
Old Jan 5, 2022, 6:58 am

DT Central is my favourite DT in the world. WA is nice but not worth the difference, imo. Hilton is too anti social for a leisure visit to Amsterdam, imo.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Thanks for the feedback - was leaning towards DT Central when I remembered how much I liked it so looks like that is where we will be!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.