Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A funny thing called expectation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:51 am
Original Poster

A funny thing called expectation

I have just checked into the same Hilton for a 2nd week in a row. Same rate, slightly different treatments.

Last week: non concierge floor with access to the lounge, no robe, no slipper, no newspaper, no body wash, no breakfast coupon (I ate in the lounge though)
This week: concierge floor with a bigger window (otherwise the same room), robe+slipper+newspaper+body wash, breakfast coupon at the restaurant

All the robe+slippers+newspaper+bodywash probably all come with the concierge floor. Do they really matter? Probably not. Do they enhance the stay? Yes they do.

I was perfectly fine last week. I checked in around noon so I was happy to get a room right away. Not knowing about the other amenities, I simply accepted that's how this midwest airport hilton is.

But now I know I could do better, I look at last week feeling cheated, ever slightly. A strong word I know and I am not feeling that strongly at all. Just teeny weenie little bit.

In summary, I don’t have a point here. Just want to document the funny way my mind works… How perspective changes…
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:02 pm

You should change the title to "The Diary of lancexfang"
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Expectations might vary with status and the number of stays in a property. You haven't chosen to share with us, but we can assume you are Gold or Diamond - and that in the first instance there was no room available for a courtesy upgrade, but they extended lounge access to you, whether because you were Diamond and it's part of what you are entitled to, or they treated you with lounge access as a Gold (but you were not entitled to it).

If you are not Gold or Diamond, consider yourself quite fortunate to get lounge access, and the upgrade you did the second stay.

In either case, if one really "needs" the concierge floor and the accouterments, we can always book and pay for such a room; Hilton HHonors provides such an option
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

I get it. No I’m not complaining at all. When I travel solo on business, I rarely pay much attention. It’s just this time I’m doing this back to back and was afforded this opportunity of comparison. It’s more about how much happier if we don’t know better or expect anything going in. What would life be without flyertalk? Maybe not necessarily always worse…
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Overall I agree it is about expectations. I know the few times here and there where for whatever reason when I have to go to the lobby for the paper, I feel cheapened and my whole routine is out of sync, sad but true.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Many properties don't care about anything on your first stay. Once you are a repeat visitor, they roll out the red carpet for you. Personally I think it's a great way to encourage loyalty to a property.

There could be a ton of other reasons, they could have had the upgraded room available this time and not last time, you could have said good evening to the person checking you in, or they could have sold out all the regular rooms. But now you have the carrot on the end of the stick.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
This thread has inspired me to comment about my experience at the Homewood Suites Turkey Creek in Knoxville,TN. I am currently at the hotel and have stayed here 35-40 days per year for the past nine years. I know the GM's name and have spoken with him on many occasions yet I have never been welcomed back as a repeat guest and the Diamond benefits (water/cookies) have only been "awarded" to me once in the past six stays at least I complained about this treatment(or lack thereof) once and received 1000 HHonors points as compensation after which the staff has gone on to continue to ignore my status and my loyalty to the hotel on all subsequent visits. Fortunately a Hampton has just opened a few blocks away and we will be giving them our business from now on. All I ever wanted was to be welcomed back as a valued customer and this Homewood could not even handle that simple request. So much for the red carpet!
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jchiguy1
This thread has inspired me to comment about my experience at the Homewood Suites Turkey Creek in Knoxville,TN. I am currently at the hotel and have stayed here 35-40 days per year for the past nine years. I know the GM's name and have spoken with him on many occasions yet I have never been welcomed back as a repeat guest and the Diamond benefits (water/cookies) have only been "awarded" to me once in the past six stays at least I complained about this treatment(or lack thereof) once and received 1000 HHonors points as compensation after which the staff has gone on to continue to ignore my status and my loyalty to the hotel on all subsequent visits. Fortunately a Hampton has just opened a few blocks away and we will be giving them our business from now on. All I ever wanted was to be welcomed back as a valued customer and this Homewood could not even handle that simple request. So much for the red carpet!
Do not be surprised to find that they might have the same owners.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:45 pm

I just checked and you are indeed correct. There are other Hilton family options nearby though that do have a different owner and I will haopily move my business in that direction.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
The last statements are hit and miss IMHO. I have a couple of properties in which I stay a couple of time a year, no more. Red carpet and suite u/g every time.

OTOH there are properties at which I stay 7 to 8 times every year if not more. I have yet to see the color of a suite in all of these.

UTA
Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:54 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by UTA_flyinghigh
The last statements are hit and miss IMHO. I have a couple of properties in which I stay a couple of time a year, no more. Red carpet and suite u/g every time.

OTOH there are properties at which I stay 7 to 8 times every year if not more. I have yet to see the color of a suite in all of these.

UTA
If you frequent a property, it pays to get in touch with the management team and let them know that you don't mind an occasional upgrade now and then as a loyal customer, space permitting. Of course it does help if your pattern of stays indicate at least occasional suite bookings.

Also, let them know that you hold a competitor's top tier status () as well but choose their property over the nearby competitor, despite lower rates, simply because you enjoy the good service here and feel more loyal to HH. This last bit is a gentle reminder that you do have a choice and that loyalty is not a one way street!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:02 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by jchiguy1
Don't the Homewoods offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee? I'd have probably chose to go that route and held them to their guarantee out of principle, after a few incidents like that! Cheating Diamonds from their, rather meagre, published benefits is unacceptable practice!

Of course I understand you not wanting to get on the wrong side of the staff and be known as "That guy/girl" if you frequent an establishment for such extended amount of time.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by payam81
Don't the Homewoods offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee? I'd have probably chose to go that route and held them to their guarantee out of principle, after a few incidents like that! Cheating Diamonds from their, rather meagre, published benefits is unacceptable practice!

Of course I understand you not wanting to get on the wrong side of the staff and be known as "That guy/girl" if you frequent an establishment for such extended amount of time.
Thank you for letting me know about the guarantee. I thought only Hampton offered that feature. I would feel a little disingenuous though using tt over this issue though. It is really not enough of a problem to require a refund but is annoying enough to make a note sbout. I'm not looking for a free stay just to have them notice that I'm there.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 2:01 pm

In my experience, I too have noticed a small tendency to get better rooms and more perks after a month or few at a property. But there is also this phenomenon that I experienced at a property that doesn't happen to have a lounge.

In terms of nice treatment for regular guests, I find that Starwood (special treatment beyond what's "required" by the program) and Hyatt (no special treatment) are more consistent. Hilton, I just can't figger out.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Homewood Suites' guarantee is the Suite Assurance Guarantee®. The guarantee states: "We guarantee high-quality accommodations, friendly, efficient service and clean, comfortable surroundings. If you are not completely satisfied, please let us know. We'll make it right or your night's stay is free."

Some properties highlight this, but don't try looking for it in the Homewood Suites or HHonors websites - at least I haven't found it there, though the initiative dates to 2005.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.