Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Swindon (UK) {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Swindon (UK) {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2002, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Swindon (UK) {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

This has to be the worst Hotel I have ever stayed In....

Its no better than a travel lodge.

To much to mention what went wrong, but don't expect to much here, especially from the house keeping department.
Old May 4, 2005, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
(un)happy to report nothing has changed!

My Profile: High room, away from lift non smoking, Diamond etc etc

My Room: Next to lift, box like, no amentity, no upgrade, smoking floor

Complaint: A british failing ... thinking of getting a t-shirt printed with "Diamond so goddamn upgrade me!"
Old May 4, 2005, 8:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Hello, sorry to hear about your experiences, but I think this a relatively good hotel. When I fell ill there, the manager had someone drive me down to the local doctor in the Hilton minibus.

I remember a swimming pool, and standard "Hilton National" rooms.

You wouldn't get 500 miles at a travelodge.

Also, it's very convenient for the outlet shopping in Swindon.

Have you stayed in the Wembley Hilton (" four Star hotel that combines first class facilities in an enviable location" according to the hilton website)? Or the Bracknell Hilton? Or even the Bournemouth Hilton (have they got their lifts working yet?)?
Old May 7, 2005, 3:38 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
I'm going to be staying there next month, on my way to Cardiff. Have to do another 3 stays by the end of June for an extra 25,000 points (booked through hilton.co.uk) so thought I'd get them all out of the way in one weekend ... Swindon, Cardiff and Newport.

Will only be sleeping in Swindon, so not looking for too much. I tend to treat hotels like this as Hampton Inns and so have lower expectations.
Old May 7, 2005, 4:28 pm

Hey Travel The world

Did almost the same LAST month.

Same as you needing 4 stays for the 25000 points.

Stopped at Newbury North on the Friday night, Swindon on the Saturday and Cardiff last Friday night, where we got an upgrade to the exec floor and comp access to the exec lounge.

Highlighted April because as you will be aware the offer is on from May 1st to 30th June, however when I made enquiries with hhonors in Glasgow I was told that I could stay in April and they would count!!!!

Since then have had a battle to get those stays included, being told that NO they don't count. But pleased to say that having spoke with a team leader they have agreed to honour them as there are a large number of people in the same position.

Loved Cardiff and Swindon. Newbury North was ok basically an upgraded travel lodge although they are in the process of a refurb.

Regards

Paul
Old May 7, 2005, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott
Had a very nice stay at the Hilton Swindon last December. Front desk staff couldn't have been nicer, even helping when I was sick with the flu. Restaurant staff were pleasant as well. Would stay again any time.
Old May 8, 2005, 4:23 am

Swindon is definitely one of the better UK Hiltons. I quite like Bracknell too, for that matter, but it's usually outside my price range.

As an aside, over the past few weeks I've noticed diamond benefits have been a lot more forthcoming, even at the worst properties. I think someone must have stirred something.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 5:41 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
Thumbs up Hilton Swindon - it's alright

Just back from my third stay at this hotel, it's handily placed along the M4 on the way from London to Cardiff/Bath/Stone Henge/etc. Not to mention the outlet shopping in Swindon itself.

Upgraded this time to the Cotswold Wing (that's 2 out 3 for upgrades) although the rooms are exactly the same but with supposed better fixtures/fittings. Bottles of water daily and one bathrobe. Cotswold wing on quieter side of hotel.

The restaurant in the hotel is very good and the rate we were on included dinner the first night and breakfast each morning. Rate was Ł65 per night, dinner would have been Ł20 each (and probably worth it, as it's a buffet style carvery, with plenty of choice). Not sure how much breakfast would have been, but this deal makes it a reasonably cheap stay.

Ł3 per day parking ... not sure why they charge for parking

Gym OK. Friendly staff.

Will stay again ... which I guess is the best endorsement.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Travel The World
Ł3 per day parking ... not sure why they charge for parking
Because they can? There's nowhere else to park. Beware the carpark barrier. It's round a corner - I nearly took it off the first time I stayed there.

But I agree, not bad for a UK Hilton.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 7:51 am

When I arrive at the trainstation, is it possible to walk to the hotel or should I arrange a cab? Anyone taken the train there?
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by travisw
When I arrive at the trainstation, is it possible to walk to the hotel or should I arrange a cab? Anyone taken the train there?

I've now stayed at the Swindon Hilton a few times, and quite like it ... OK it's not a 5-star "Hilton", more like a 4-star Doubletree, maybe even a 3-star HGI. Will be interesting to see how it's rebranded.

Restaurant is excellent, buffet/carvery and lots of it. Usually stay on a rate that includes dinner on the first night.

As for the train station, it's not walking distance. There is a shuttle bus, but I've no idea where that goes to ... maybe worth giving them a call.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 6:34 am

Just back from another stay at this hotel, and it may be just familiarity, but I'm sure the standards have dropped.

Little things like: now they charge you for newspapers in the lobbey area (they used to have a stack of them free - first come first served); and the breakfast had less choice - the basics for a fry-up (English Breakfast), but no extras like Haggis or even pancakes/waffles.

Dinner was still good, although I'm sure there used to be more/better choice in the starters buffet.

What hasn't changed is that the place was very busy ... so no upgrade for us, not that there is much to upgrade to

Just got the feeling that they are dropping some of the frills in getting ready to rebrand to (IMO) HGI.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:12 am

Just completed a stay here. The decor is the same as a lot of the old Hilton Nationals -- not very attractive, much like a Travelodge. When I checked in (as I Diamond), the staffer made no mention of an upgraded room. I asked and she said that they're given a choice of upgrading me to the next available room type (club room) or offering "additional amenities" and they chose to offer amenities -- glass of wine, two bottles of water, one apple, one orange.

My room rate included dinner and breakfast so not sure if they would have offered me a breakfast otherwise.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
I like this hotel.

They are good at upgrading, you may get a refurbished deluxe room and they do if available give diamonds suites. Complimentary breakfast is never a problem and they do put a welcome amenity in the room- typically small bottles water, small wine, local small cakes.

Ok, some rooms could be refurbished, but the decor isnt bad, and I feel customer service here is very good. I like the hotel and the location is convenient just off the M4 with Bath also easy to reach.

No problems here, one of my preferred Hiltons.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Skimanant
I like this hotel.

They are good at upgrading, you may get a refurbished deluxe room and they do if available give diamonds suites. Complimentary breakfast is never a problem and they do put a welcome amenity in the room- typically small bottles water, small wine, local small cakes.

Ok, some rooms could be refurbished, but the decor isnt bad, and I feel customer service here is very good. I like the hotel and the location is convenient just off the M4 with Bath also easy to reach.

No problems here, one of my preferred Hiltons.
+1 - also received deluxe room on recent 4 night stay - breakfast choice was also better than the normal UK Hilton breakfast

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.