Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Tampa, Florida, USA {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Tampa, Florida, USA {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2001, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Arrow DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Tampa, Florida, USA {US-FL}

I'm looking for opinions on the following properties in the Tampa/ St Pete area: ES Busch Gardens, ES Tampa, Doubletree Suite near Busch Gardens and Hilton St Petersburg. This is for a family trip in late June (Busch Gardens and a Devilrays game), so I'm particularly interested in someplace with a nice pool for the kids!
Old May 31, 2001, 1:23 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd probably go to the Renaissance Vinoy, especially in the Towers section, but there is no beach!

Hyatt Regency Westshore would likely be my second choice!

I think the Doubltree GS used to be a Guest Quarters hotel and though noothing special, it's well located and has a nice pool! It was remodeled a few years ago and the price is right too!

Hoope this helps & have a great trip!
Old May 31, 2001, 3:58 pm
Suspended

OK the hotels you ask about are fairly well spread out as you probably know.
Near Busch Gardens; The Embassy Suites is quite a new hotel, the Double-Tree is older never been on the property so I cannot comment, also not sure if they both have pools but would be very surprised if they did not.
Embassy Suites BG is within walking distance to Busch Gardens and is even closer to Adventure Island a big water-park operated by Busch Gardens, also the Museum of Science and Industry a good hands-on museum which includes has a popular IMAX theatre.
Embassy Suites, Tampa is OK but is situated closer to downtown and is the sort of halfway between the ball park and Busch Gardens ( 12 miles) and is surrounded by mostly offices.
Hilton St Pete about ( 30 miles from Busch Gardens) is near the baseball stadium is nothing special but is close to an area in St. Pete that has many new shops and restaurants, known I believe as Bay-walk.

My choice, the Embassy Suites, Busch Gardens unless you are a real baseball fanatic and plan to
go to a lot of games. The hotel actually adjoins the campus of USF and has lots of restaurants, big mall nearby and probably is best if traveling with kids.
Notice you asked about Hilton properties also brand new in the area ( near USF) a Hilton Garden Inn and a Hampton Suites.
The hotels mentioned by doc are both very nice especially the Vinoy but are more upscale.
Note also none of properties mentioned are close to a decent beach.

Mike
Old May 31, 2001, 4:20 pm

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
I've stayed in all of 'em except Hilton St. Pete.

Embassy USF: Very nice ES. New property, usually very competitive rates. Do your Internet research, then call the property and see if they can beat the 'Net rate. They always have for me. They have a nice clean pool, high-speed data in the rooms, and all of the other usual ES stuff (cocktails, breakfast, etc.). Minutes from BG.

Embassy TPA: Older ES. Average for the chain. Customer service weak at this location; I was stuck in a smoking room when I had booked non, and I couldn't find a clerk who was both fluent in English and willing to help me out. Location is so-so - near the airport, but not near the stuff you want to visit. They have a pool, but I haven't spent time in it.

DoubleTree BG: I hate totally bagging on HHonors properties, but I thought this place was really, really bad. I had booked a 3-night stay there, and bailed after 1 night. Very LOUD hotel, outside corridors, very poor telecommunications system in the rooms. (Remember 14.4Kbps?? That's what you get here. If you are lucky.) This hotel routinely features rates under $70/night, so it probably attracts a different crowd than a usual DoubleTree. It does have a pool. Judging from the looks of the place, DoubleTree purchased the building from HoJo or something and fixed it up a bit.

I've also stayed at the Hilton TPA. Very clean, basic-service hotel. Not really a full-blown Hilton; more like an HGI. But nice and clean, and not too expensive.

Since you have kids, go for the ES-USF. You will enjoy it a lot, and there will be plenty of room for the little ones.
Old Jun 1, 2001, 7:09 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
St. Pete is VERY quiet, not good for kids.

Would choose others you are considering.

Old Sep 17, 2001, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Lifetime Plat
Hilton TPA Suggestions?

Hi ...

I'm a somewhat frequent visitor to Tampa but I have never stayed at any of the Hilton properties there. I'm looking for suggestions on the nicest Hilton (all brands) near the airport. I'll be using points for a two night weekend stay (Fri, Sat).

I prefer something more upscale.

Thanks in advance for any help.

CA
Old Sep 18, 2001, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CA Platinum:
Hi ...

I'm a somewhat frequent visitor to Tampa but I have never stayed at any of the Hilton properties there. I'm looking for suggestions on the nicest Hilton (all brands) near the airport. I'll be using points for a two night weekend stay (Fri, Sat).

I prefer something more upscale.

Thanks in advance for any help.

CA
</font>

Are you wanting to stay pretty close to the airport? Anything that says "Westshore" is close to the airport. Hilton has a property in Ybor City that is new and there is the Doubletree that is on the bayside. There is always the Clearwater Beach location but it is a good drive from the airport.

I live across the bay in Clearwater so might can help if you are more specific.

------------------
What do you mean you flew LowCost Airlines just because it was cheaper and a direct flight? What about the MILES?
Old Sep 18, 2001, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Nicest Hilton is Airport Hilton might be stretching it a bit to call it "upscale " but is probably the best in the general area (theres also a Doubletree and a Embassy Suites)
Area near Hilton is being really upgraded (it was not bad before anyway) new upscale mall with Macys/Nordstroms/Lord and Taylor etc just opened last week also across the street from mall and all within walking distance for the Hilton new restaurants Roy's, Flemings Steakhouse and Leroy Selmons all in all quite a good area to stay.

In case you are interested best Hilton property especially for families Embassy Suites Busch Gardens and if you like a real "action " oriented scene, Tampa's answer to Bourbon street = HGI Ybor City.

Note the Clearwater Hilton is the past has had a reputation of not giving HHonors members the expected benefits and has gone as far as telling some guests they are not part of the HHonors program.
Mike

[This message has been edited by MIKESILV (edited 09-18-2001).]
Old Sep 19, 2001, 7:54 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
There is a very nice Homewood Suites just across the bridge (I think Clearwater) only about 15 minutes from the airport...
Old Sep 19, 2001, 8:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
The airport Hilton is just fine. A bunch of us FTers stayed there last year for a get-together ... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/000634.html

I highly recommend dinner at Berns steakhouse. It's really a one-of-a-kind experience, sort of like eating in a converted bordello.

http://www.bernsteakhouse.com/bs_frame.htm
Old Sep 19, 2001, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Lifetime Plat
Thank you to everyone for the great advice.
I've booked my stay with the Hilton Airport Westshore. From your comments, it appears to be the best choice.

I appreciate the help.

CA
Old Sep 20, 2001, 6:53 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIKESILV:
within walking distance for the Hilton new restaurants Roy's, Flemings Steakhouse and Leroy Selmons all in all quite a good area to stay.

[This message has been edited by MIKESILV (edited 09-18-2001).]
</font>
FWIW - These are all now in the Outback chain which owns at least a 50% interest.
Old Sep 20, 2001, 9:54 am
BIM

Stayed at the Airport property this summer, on a PriceLine rate ($40). Very pleased - clean, updated, decent room. Very convenient to everything. Did nail me for an energy surcharge, which, given the low rate and the earliness of the hour, I didn't bother to gripe about.

------------------
Take a deep breath, and remember what's really important...
Old Sep 20, 2001, 1:19 pm

The airport Hilton is fine. Stayed there 3 times in the last 6 months. Have no idea of the surroundings since I always arrived in the dark and left before dawn. I don't know what are the real rates at that property since all my stays were at the Priceline rate of about $35, plus tax. It might be even lower now.
The rooms were fine. They have HHonors floor. I am not sure if they have executive lounge.
Old Sep 20, 2001, 9:19 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
The Airport Hilton is fine for $50.00. But if you're paying $100.00 it might be a different story. No way is this place upscale. The nightclub is very "dark."

If it's for 1 night, you will be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.