Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Caribe Hilton or Cancun Hilton for family vaca?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2002, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Off to the HHV and HWV soon, so the time has come to plan the next trip. We like tennis, water sports, using the gym, but not really spa services, and fairly casual dining, off the property. Not much into sightseeing. Have an 11 and 15 year old. I've narrowed it down to Cancun and the Caribe Hilton, I think. Will try to use a GLON or GLONP, in the summer. Any comments or experiences? Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2002, 12:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I can’t comment on the Caribe, but I did just complete an award stay in Cancun and I was very impressed. Service, food and accommodations were all excellent. Cancun is loaded with good casual dining and from what I know, the beach in Cancun is far superior to that of the Caribe Hilton. I’ve read that the Caribe’s beach is small and man-made. The beach in Cancun is miles long with powdery white sand, perfect for a long walk.
Old Feb 21, 2002, 8:11 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by luv2go:
Not much into sightseeing.</font>
That nails it for me, go to Cancun.
Old Feb 21, 2002, 8:45 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Never stayed at the Cancun Hilton but have been to Cancun (or close by) several times. There are tons of things to do right in the hotel zone especially if you don't like to sightsee! Lots of places to eat, nice beach and things to do for everyone.

------------------
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Old Feb 22, 2002, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I agree with Cancun. Can't beat that beautiful water. If you were into sightseeing, San Juan would probably be the better choice as there is much more to do culturally, including probably the world's best preserved Hispanic colonial American architecture in Old San Juan.
Old Feb 22, 2002, 7:52 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ILuvParis:
If you were into sightseeing, San Juan would probably be the better choice as there is much more to do culturally, including probably the world's best preserved Hispanic colonial American architecture in Old San Juan.</font>
Plus the western hemisphere's oldest church in the SW town of San German.
Old Feb 22, 2002, 8:09 pm

Stayed at the Caribe Hilton last November. The beach and pools were very nice, but the hotel is in a somewhat isolated location, between the ocean and a busy street. You will have to take a taxi to go anywhere, unless you like LONG walks.
Old Feb 22, 2002, 8:28 pm

Check if the Carib., has a formal type of summer camp program. I know that this is big with the Hyatts in P.R. perhaps Hilton offers it due to competitive pressures. Your kids get to make "vacation friends" and you and your spouse get a few hours a day of privacy.

I am only familiar with Cancun as a destnation. Dont know the Hilton. Cancun is very Middle America and very middle market. Lots of shooping malls, fast food places. just like home.(the joke goes like this.You know the difference between Cancun & Miami, They speak more English in Cancun.)
Carib Hilton is an Isolated location. It has its own large resort type private pool area as well. I think though they market themselves as a business hotel rather than a "destination" resort hotel. But dont worry there will still be many vacationeers. the facility and guests will be more upscale. I would opt for PR

Hey, these points aint that easy to redeem! If one of the two can accomdate your dates consider yourself lucky

Old Feb 25, 2002, 4:27 pm

I stayed at the Caribe Hilton last July. They had a Hilton Vacation Station with daily activities for kids.
Old Feb 25, 2002, 5:18 pm
Community Director Emerita

We visited the Caribe Hilton a week ago. While it is true that taxis are surprisingly expensive in San Juan, there is a public bus to Old San Juan that stops about two blocks from the hotel. The fare is just $.25. The bus is air conditioned, and very pleasant. We took a taxi to the Hilton, then took the bus (that came from Old San Juan) onward to the hotel on Isla Verde where we were staying. $.50 for two on the bus sure beat the $16 taxi fare!
Old Feb 26, 2002, 6:22 pm
T Q

Programs: HHonors/Marriott/Starwood/SWA Rapid Rewards
Luv2go:

Just got back from HWV--Loved it. We have a 12 & 13 Year old who joined us. I would recommend bringing binoculars for seeing the whales closer up (i forgot mine). I would also recommend Roy's for one delicious dinner (in Kings Shopping center right near HWV). Pricey but way worth it. (try the chocolate souffle).

Also, There's a public beach 5 min north of resort called Hapuna Beach. Has inexpensive good snack bar and has great waves for boogie boarding. Our kids had a blast and we did it another day. Boogie boards are $6 for 4 hours..great deal.

We did a snorkel cruise w/Fair Winds. It was $250 with entertainment coupon discount for the 4 of us. We enjoyed that a lot. Went to Captain Cook's Bay. (But I have to admit, I felt snorkeling was MUCH better at Hanauma Bay in Oahu 2 years ago than Capt Cook's Bay n Kona).. we went to Waikiki 2 years ago and stayed at HHV also. Loved Pearl Harbor. And by the way, when you're at HHV, save big bucks by dining at this neat restaurant a short walk from the HHV, called Wailana Coffee Shop at Kalia and Ala Moana blvd. It's old hawaii style and really inexpensive. May even be open 24 hours..not sure about that part.

Now back to Waikoloa, another recommendation for HWV..check out the dolphin show at 9:30 am at resort. You can watch others have the encounter and the dolphin is only 8 feet from you as a spectator. Really cool and free! If you have the bucks and it's worth it to you, it's like $90 or $100 per person to get in water with trainer and dolphin.

We got lounge access (which comes with access to tennis and raquetball court) as golds and really enjoyed that. But even if we just got 2 free breakfasts at the Palm Terrace, that would have been nice too. These are for continental type breakfast (cold foods) only but you can upgrade for $5.50 per person to the full buffet with omelettes.

There's no fridge in your room at the Waikoloa. You can rent one for $5 a day. May be worth it, if you want to save a bundle on the food thing. With our lounge access, all 4 of us ate breakfast free as well as sodas/cookies in the afternoon and appetizers in the 5-7 pm time frame. The Exec Lounge hostesses were great! Very friendly and helpful!

Parking is free at Waikoloa if you self park. Not a bad walk from the lobby area.

Feel free to email me w/ any more ?? on either property. Hilton has been very good to us!
Old Feb 27, 2002, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the great comments--leaning towards Cancun, but need to try to coordinate free flights with an award--thats usually my final decision maker!

TQ-- thanks for the great tips on the Hawaii properties--we are going over Easter Break-hope its not too crowded so we can get an upgrade on our ALON at the HWV. I had just been reading about the beach at Hapuna--glad to hear its good for boogie boarding this time of year. My kids will love that--being 'Jersey' boogie boarders. I also had the Fair Winds snorkel cruise on my list as a must do--did you do the morning or afternoon? I do not have an entertainment book--is it worth it to get one? And I decided to splurge on the Dolphin Quest for the kids--signed up the 60 days in advance. Any other good kid friendly restaurant recs??

Not using an award at the HHV since we will only be there three nights and I got a good deal on the Ali'i tower-$198 garden view and hopefully an upgrade.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 27, 2002, 6:57 pm
T Q

Programs: HHonors/Marriott/Starwood/SWA Rapid Rewards
For kid-friendly eating places near Waikoloa, the Kings Shops, very close drive from hotel and in fact a shuttle runs from lobby each 15 min, has a "food court" with Subway, Dairy Queen, a Pizza place, and Orange Julius, etc. In fact, here's a link that should give you all the scoop:

http://www.kingsshops.com/shops/restaurants.htm

As far as the Entertainment Book for Hawaii, it's heavy on the Oahu stuff, so-so on Maui and light on Hawaii. What there was for the Hawaii (big island) was mainly centered in Kailua Kona (30 min drive from Waikoloa). I got my money's worth with the fairwinds. Oh they only did morning cruises while we were there. They said during heavier tourist time, they also offer the afternoon cruises. Depending on what you're doing in Honolulu (they have the major luaus in the book as well as Polynesion Cultural, the book may be well worth it. I saw a link in the "frequentflier.com" forum for $10 off and free shipping right now on the books that expire in 11/02, so that would get you the book for $25. I paid $35 in Kona and had to drive a ways for it.

Feel free to ask more ?? T Q

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.