Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Istanbul, Turkey {TUR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old May 4, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Right now I'm at the DT Old Town for 2 nights but was debating changing that. After being jetlagged the first two nights we figured being able to walk around would be nice instead of being further out where the Hilton/Conrad hotels are. I'm assuming the Old Town DT is similar the Sirkeci? I'm still considering switching to the Conrad for 2 nights then Hilton but the location of the DT is making it hard.
If you spend all your day out walking in the area, and use your hotel just for the night sleep, then you are good to stay where uou are, but being in Conrad/Bomonti will give you the luxury and great Turkish hospitality, as well as exploring other parts of the Mega-city, and the views from there are certainly breathtaking and worth every penny.
Enjoy your stay buddy!!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you want tourist location, Old Town or Sirkeci are both great (Sirkeci probably slightly better than OT, but OT is probably a better if older hotel, and certainly easier to get to with luggage/etc regardless of how you're getting there).

If you want luxury and views, then as has already been said, the Conrad or the Hilton are both great.

If you're planning on spending any time on the Asian side, I'd also recommend the DT Moda. They are good with upgrades (at least to a water view, although I think I've only not got at least a Junior Suite there once), and it's a great area. They now even have a lounge - nothing like the Conrad/Hilton/Hilton Kozyatagi, but better than nothing! The view from my room last time I stayed there -
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:56 pm

Best for 13hr overnight layover?

I will land at IST with my wife and kids around midnight on a Friday next month. Our connecting flight leaves IST at 1pm, so we have 13 hours to spend. Sleep will be part of it, but we hope to see some of the city. Should we stay close to the airport (HGI airport or Hampton Atakoy?) or should we stay in the city closer to the sites? (and if so, where?)

Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 49er
I will land at IST with my wife and kids around midnight on a Friday next month. Our connecting flight leaves IST at 1pm, so we have 13 hours to spend. Sleep will be part of it, but we hope to see some of the city. Should we stay close to the airport (HGI airport or Hampton Atakoy?) or should we stay in the city closer to the sites? (and if so, where?)
Are you flying with TK? If so, you likely quality for a free hotel - FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Personally I don't think you've really got any time to do much other than sleep. Best case you're going to get to your hotel around 1am, and you'll need to be back at the airport by about 11am, which gives you 10 hours.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:26 am

We are flying TK but don’t qualify for the free night because there are shorter connections possible. We picked a longer connection to get some sleep and break it up. We do qualify for the free TK city tour and there is a 3 hour tour that leaves at 8am.

Suppose we are willing to sacrifice some sleep to see some of Istanbul (we have never been there). Which hotel/location would you recommend?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:15 am

We are flying TK but don’t qualify for the free night because there are shorter connections possible. We picked a longer connection to get some sleep and break it up. We do qualify for the free TK city tour and there is a 3 hour tour that leaves at 8am.

Suppose we are willing to sacrifice some sleep to see some of Istanbul (we have never been there). Which hotel/location would you recommend?
HGI will be your better option.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match

We did something similar a few weeks ago. Landed at Ataturk around 11.30am. Had a room booked at HGI Ataturk. Got a taxi there and checked-in. Then got a taxi to the Grand Bazaar, bought a few bits, went for dinner on Galata Bridge, got a taxi back to the hotel, showered and got the hotel shuttle back to Ataturk around 10pm. We didn't see that much, but did exactly what we had planned. We partly went with the HGI as it was the cheapest option and we barely used the hotel or room other than for luggage storage and a shower.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
We did something similar a few weeks ago. Landed at Ataturk around 11.30am. Had a room booked at HGI Ataturk. Got a taxi there and checked-in. Then got a taxi to the Grand Bazaar, bought a few bits, went for dinner on Galata Bridge, got a taxi back to the hotel, showered and got the hotel shuttle back to Ataturk around 10pm. We didn't see that much, but did exactly what we had planned. We partly went with the HGI as it was the cheapest option and we barely used the hotel or room other than for luggage storage and a shower.
We would be the opposite in the sense that we would spend more time in the hotel than in the city; or at least an even split.

I think our decision will come down to whether we do sightseeing on our own or on the TK-provided tour. If we do sightseeing on our own, I'm thinking we might as well stay at a better hotel in the city. Since we plan to go into town anyway, we might as well just spend the extra 20-30 minutes in the 1am taxi ride to get to the Conrad or Bomonti.

The only reason I can see for staying at the HGI is if we do the TK-provided 8am tour. Then being close to the airport would help to start the tour.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:54 pm

We would be the opposite in the sense that we would spend more time in the hotel than in the city; or at least an even split.

I think our decision will come down to whether we do sightseeing on our own or on the TK-provided tour. If we do sightseeing on our own, I'm thinking we might as well stay at a better hotel in the city. Since we plan to go into town anyway, we might as well just spend the extra 20-30 minutes in the 1am taxi ride to get to the Conrad or Bomonti.

The only reason I can see for staying at the HGI is if we do the TK-provided 8am tour. Then being close to the airport would help to start the tour.
Seems like the reviews of the 8am tour are not very good so we'll plan to stay in the city center. I'm now focusing on the DoubleTree Sirkeci. If we stay there we can walk to most of the sites in the morning and then take a taxi to the airport. It reduces the taxis to just 2 rides -- one in the late night from IST to the DoubleTree and then one to return to the airport.

If there's a better option let me know.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:33 pm

If there's a better option let me know.
I'd say there's 3 good options.
DT Sirkeci - Good hotel. Good location in terms of being close to a few of the major tourist attractions that you can hit up fairly quickly.

Hampton Atakoy - Close to the airport, and unlike the HGI it's in the same direction as the tourist areas (plus unlike the HGI it's a good hotel!). It would be easy to swing back via the hotel on the way to the airport to pickup bags - and if you end up deciding you're too tired to head into town, then you haven't wasted the trip in.

Hampton Zeytinburnu - Similar story to the above, only it's about 1/3rd of the way into the city. The main advantage of this one is that it's next to the Marmaray station so you can use that to get into town, but presuming you're planning on staying on the European side (which you should be!) then there's probably not a lot of point using that over a taxi.

I wouldn't recommend DT Old Town in this case. It's just that bit further away from everything, which means you'll need to take a taxi or the tram, and you just really don't have the time to be working that all out.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by docbert
I'd say there's 3 good options.
DT Sirkeci - Good hotel. Good location in terms of being close to a few of the major tourist attractions that you can hit up fairly quickly.

Hampton Atakoy - Close to the airport, and unlike the HGI it's in the same direction as the tourist areas (plus unlike the HGI it's a good hotel!). It would be easy to swing back via the hotel on the way to the airport to pickup bags - and if you end up deciding you're too tired to head into town, then you haven't wasted the trip in.

Hampton Zeytinburnu - Similar story to the above, only it's about 1/3rd of the way into the city. The main advantage of this one is that it's next to the Marmaray station so you can use that to get into town, but presuming you're planning on staying on the European side (which you should be!) then there's probably not a lot of point using that over a taxi.

I wouldn't recommend DT Old Town in this case. It's just that bit further away from everything, which means you'll need to take a taxi or the tram, and you just really don't have the time to be working that all out.
Thank you so much for this. You even advised on the DT Old Town vs DT Sirkeci question which I neglected to raise.

We we will go with DT Sirkeci and force ourselves to get out of bed by 7am to get some sightseeing and baklava — there are some highly rated baklava shops around Sirkeci which is secretly part of my reasoning for choosing it! — before heading back to IST airport. Based on Google Maps, it seems on a Saturday a taxi ride from DT Sirkeci to the airport would take about 30 minutes so we could leave the hotel at 10:30am to safely make a 1pm flight. This is leaving an hour or so for customs, security, etc. Is that about right?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Istanbul - Hilton Bosphorus vs. Doubletree Old Town

I see that these are rated almost dead even on TripAdvisor - assuming I can get a similar rate, any thoughts which to choose?

I'm a single traveler, tend to get around town on foot or public transit mostly, have been to Istanbul 3x previously, and am there purely for pleasure as a tourist. (Love it there! Especially all of the kitties) So I've seen most of the key touristy stuff.

I like Taksim square area (have stayed at the W, as well as the Intercontinental), and have stayed at the Holiday Inn (kind of near the Doubletree, I think...)

Not a huge Hilton guy, so any "insider scoop" would be welcomed.

Thanks!

RRZ
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:20 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Have you read these threads:

Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus {TUR}
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Istanbul - Old Town {TUR}

If you are not a "huge Hilton guy" and have no status I would just choose based on the price and whether you want to be nearer to Taksim or nearer to the Grand Bazaar. There are also many other Hiltons around Istanbul, some which can be very cheap if you wanted to avoid the tourist areas
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Silver
There is also a Doubletree by Hilton Sirkeci excellent location.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: Delta DM, MM
Loved the Conrad. Great location, inexpensive, wonderful hospitality. I have stayed at the Hilton Bosphorus and would return to the Conrad instead. Easy walk to the tram to get to the old town area, and great access to ferries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.