Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Istanbul, Turkey {TUR}

Old May 4, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Istanbul, Turkey {TUR}

Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:16 pm
tcm

Originally Posted by hfly
Two small corrections:

1) The Istanbul Bosphorus, was the FIRST Hilton to operate outside of the United States and is the oldest international Hilton in existence.

2) Technically is it was not the first "five star" hotel in Istanbul, especially as there was no "five star" designation anywhere at that time. It was the first "four star" international hotel at the time.
The celebration was more than a simple hotel opening; it symbolized a brand new beginning in Istanbul's social scene. As the first international five-star hotel of the city, Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus brought new standards to the service concept in its sector and sparked 'a revolution in the hospitality industry' in Istanbul and Turkey.
Don't know about the technicalities but this is how Hilton describe their property. BTW, have fond memories going back two generations of my family at this hotel as have many others. My parents had their engagement party here A Istanbul institution for sure but in need of renovations... The quality of the clientele is not the same though. Below is the link for a brief history of the Hilton Bosphorus.

Link:

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/turkey/hilton-istanbul-bosphorus-ISTHITW/about/60-years.html

Last edited by tcm; Apr 25, 2017 at 12:29 pm
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, I know what they say, and it was by far the "greatest" hotel of its time and many people share the same nostalgia as your family, however:

1) In Turkey the "Star" system is done by the Ministry of Tourism. They had no "Star" system until the 1970's.

2) Until the mid 80's internationally "4 Star" was the top rating in pretty much every country which had a "Star" system.

So while the Istanbul Hilton was way ahead of its time, more than doubled the "top" rooms in the city, etc etc. Any talk of it being the first "5 star" hotel is pure marketing speak (probably written by someone in their 20's), as no such designation actually existed either internationally or in Turkey for another 30+ years.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
In the last couple of weeks we spent 1 night at Hampton Zeytinburnu and 1 night at Hampton Atakoy while passing through Istanbul. Both cost 5k Honors points, which is immense value with breakfast included and the current 2000 points per stay offer.

Zeytinburnu is a little out of the centre but we got a cheap taxi to where we wanted to go. There's a decent shopping mall and a few restaurant options within 10 minutes' walk. Hotel is clean, comfortable and basic. We did a day trip before catching our flight. Reception kindly gave us a late 3pm check-out that meant we could keep our luggage in the room and shower the kids before heading to the airport. We really appreciated this.

Atakoy is further out of the centre than Zeytinburnu, but we wanted to be close to the airport due to an early departure. We didn't venture further than about 5 minutes' walk from the hotel, where we found a supermarket and decent restaurant. Again, hotel is clean, comfortable and basic. Reception were firedly and accommodating.

I have no hesitation in recommending either hotel if you need a no-frills low-cost stay where a central location isn't important. I'm trying 2 HGIs that also cost 5k on a trip later in the year. Should be a good comparison.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond ? TK*E
Just did a status match to diamond and need at least 9 stays to retain it.
Goint next week to Istanbul for 4 days.

Now my questions:How can I get the maximum points out of it? Any tips?
I need also 9 stays, so I'm going to do a hotel hop every day ( broke up with my girlfriend so I can finally do this ) I thought of booking these hotels:
  • Hilton Bospurus
  • Conrad Istanbul
  • Bomonti Istanbul
  • Hilton Moda ( on the asian side )
All hotels with lounges so I can check those out also.Someone who has got more tips for me to get more points? Already saw that I get 2000 points per stay en 10.000 for the 5th one ( which I am going to do in Belgium ). Any experiences with these htoels? Why I should or shouldnot book them? I speak Turkish so any language barrier is not a problem.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Prem, UA Silver, Delta GM
Originally Posted by ulker32

I need also 9 stays, so I'm going to do a hotel hop every day ( broke up with my girlfriend so I can finally do this ) I thought of booking these hotels:
  • Hilton Bospurus
  • Conrad Istanbul
  • Bomonti Istanbul
All hotels with lounges so I can check those out also.Someone who has got more tips for me to get more points? Already saw that I get 2000 points per stay en 10.000 for the 5th one ( which I am going to do in Belgium ). Any experiences with these htoels? Why I should or shouldnot book them? I speak Turkish so any language barrier is not a problem.
Stayed at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Istanbul - Sirkeci on my trip there last fall and highly recommend. Not on the bosphorus, but walkable and walkable to other places to visit. They don't have club lounge, but excellent breakfast and bar.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
Originally Posted by ulker32

• Hilton Bospurus
  • Conrad Istanbul
  • Bomonti Istanbul

I have stayed at the Bomonti twice (definitely one of my favorite Hiltons so far), Conrad once (definitely a quality hotel but much prefer the Bomonti!).
The Hilton Kozyatagi on the Asian side is also quiet nice with a good lounge and nice pool/spa (haven't tried the Moda but always wanted to).
We have planned another 'Istanbul mattress run' this coming May (always a nice way to spend some points and score some stays to get my Diamond membership extended for another year).
We will also try the Hilton Bosphorus this time, along with 3 nights Bomonti, 2 nights Conrad and 2 more nights that we haven't decided yet (maybe we will try the new Hilton Bakirkoy near the airport, looks very nice and is very cheap).
For us Istanbul is one of the best places to do 'Hilton hotel hopping', plenty to see/do and tons of hotel choices as there is anything from 5K /night Hamptons to more luxurious 5* choices (and even these are very cheap...).
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond ? TK*E
On a 4 night trip to Istanbul

1. Hilton Moda: Twin Guest room ==> Twin junior Suite with sea view
2. Hilton Bomonti: King guest room ==> King executive room
3. Hilton Bosphorus: King garden guest room ==> King executive room with bosphorus view
4. Conrad Istanbul: King deluxe room ==> Park suite

With status especially, my choice would be the Conrad. Got a nice upgrade, had the feeling that they were more friendly then the Hilton Bosphorus and Bomonti.
Hilton Bosphorus felt outdated unfortunately. Bomonti was nice but a bit far.

Hilton moda was a good choice but offcourse on the Asian side. Very close to the ferry's to go almost everywhere in Istanbul.

Breakfasts were for me all equally good on the European side ( dont remember the Hilton moda since it's been a longer time ).
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Is it still the general consensus here for Diamonds and other familiar travelers booking a base room that the Hilton Bomonti is a nicer experience in terms of nicer rooms, lounge, etc than the Conrad?

Both look lovely and I especially like the outdoor terrance photos at the Conrad.

Many thanks for your wisdom!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
Is it still the general consensus here for Diamonds and other familiar travelers booking a base room that the Hilton Bomonti is a nicer experience in terms of nicer rooms, lounge, etc than the Conrad?

Both look lovely and I especially like the outdoor terrance photos at the Conrad.

Many thanks for your wisdom!
I have stayed in both (and will stay again in both hotels in May).
Eiher hotel is a good choice and both of them have pro's and con's.
The lounge itself is much more impressive at the Bomonti (360 views from the 34th floor, knowing that the hotel is also located on a hill, you will feel like you are on top of the world!).
The Conrad lounge indeed has a terrace but no real views to speak of (It is on the 2nd floor facing the street). Offerings at both are similar.
Outdoor pool is again much nicer at the Conrad (it is well protected from the wind and with nice gardens around, they also make up your sunbed etc.) while the Bomonti outdoor pool is located in an extremely windy spot and despite being large and modern, a bit charmless. But...the indoor pool and spa is again much more impressive at the Bomonti!
If you like 'Western' breakfasts, the Conrad also offers pork bacon and sausages (on request) while the Bomonti doesn't serve any pork. Only a small thing of course but it might be important to some...
Some people complain about the location of the Bomonti but we never had any issues, it is only a 10-12 min walk to Osmanbey metro station (where many high class shops are located, it is also only 1 stop from Taksim which is considered the heart of Istanbul).
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:23 am

Sorry posted twice..

Last edited by Delectatio; Feb 9, 2018 at 10:28 am
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Delectatio
The lounge itself is much more impressive at the Bomonti (360 views from the 34th floor, knowing that the hotel is also located on a hill, you will feel like you are on top of the world!).
The Conrad lounge indeed has a terrace but no real views to speak of (It is on the 2nd floor facing the street). Offerings at both are similar.
Outdoor pool is again much nicer at the Conrad (it is well protected from the wind and with nice gardens around, they also make up your sunbed etc.) while the Bomonti outdoor pool is located in an extremely windy spot and despite being large and modern, a bit charmless. But...the indoor pool and spa is again much more impressive at the Bomonti!
If you like 'Western' breakfasts, the Conrad also offers pork bacon and sausages (on request) while the Bomonti doesn't serve any pork. Only a small thing of course but it might be important to some...
Some people complain about the location of the Bomonti but we never had any issues, it is only a 10-12 min walk to Osmanbey metro station (where many high class shops are located, it is also only 1 stop from Taksim which is considered the heart of Istanbul).
Like you, I have stayed in both - but was not aware of the availability of pork at the Conrad. I absolutely abhor the ersatz bacon & sausages (made from beef or worse, chicken) but would feel somewhat squeamish about asking a Muslim server for a pork item. However, I have certainly asked many Hindu Indian waiters for beef steaks - though the quality has gone down in recent years; the last occasion was at a SPG Luxury Collection hotel where they proudly announced that their steaks came from Australia - but I could not finish it
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Delectatio
Thanks for your insights. After having stayed at the Bomonti I am not sure what the love fest about it is over the Conrad. The Conrad with the exception of the lounge view is so much nicer in every respect from not feeling as much as a standard Hilton business hotel to better overall quality offerings. The Conrad rooms themselves are nicer (at every level from what I could tell walking around and asking) and it also seems they treat Diamonds better for upgrades which dont really happen at the Bomonti from what regulars in the lounge told me (and my two experiences now as well).
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Stayed at the Hampton Zeytinburnu recently and while it wasn't the fanciest option, it was a great value. Got over 1.0cpm from points, as this is one of the few remaining 5000 point a night Hilton properties. Property was actually in very good condition, with nicely decorated rooms and comfy beds. Above average for a Hampton actually I would say. Breakfast was just ok and didn't have any variety. What was surprisingly great was the location. While it's not the most interesting location, it's only a 5 minute walk from the Marmaray station and then 1 stop on it from Yenikapi, where all the main attractions are (total travel time of 20 minutes). There are also some interesting ruins right outside the hotel which are a Unesco heritage site but not really mentioned in any of the books. A great value overall.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yenikapi main attractions?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
Yenikapi main attractions?
Oh gosh haha I meant Sirkeci. So yeah 2 stops.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.