Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Istanbul, Turkey {TUR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old May 4, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Istanbul, Turkey {TUR}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Not sure why you are in IST, but the location of the DT OT is so much better than the Hilton and Conrad that unless I was on a business trip would put the DT first. Having stayed at both on my last trip, I found at the Hilton I was spending a lot of time getting to and from the hotel while at the DT everything was an easy talk or the tram was right at the door. If you travel light the DT is also an easy train/tram ride from the airport.
It's for my 3 day vacation in IST on the way back from SE Asia to home in IAD. Just because my stay in IST last Dec was way too short 24 hours on the way back from ICN to IAD, I want more time in IST. And I thought I wanted to try another Hilton Property given that DT does not have a lounge. Many suggested DT is a better choice so It looks like I make up my mind to return to DT in July.

Thanks everyone.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:02 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Hilton Istanbul

We stayed at the Hilton Istanbul twice this month, on both occasions for two nights (Sat-Mon and Fri-Sun).

The place was very busy both weekends (the last two weekends before Ramazan). The hotel was hosting events, including a big wedding on each of the Saturdays, and a lot of people seemed to have come to town to take advantage of sales.

The weddings in particular probably took care of the suites, so there were no Diamond upgrades. We were given an 8th floor room on the west (city) side on our first stay. The evening sun effectively put the balcony out of bounds for a couple of hours each day, so when we checked out I asked the lounge receptionist if there was any chance of a room on the east (Bosphorus) side when we returned. This was done and we were allocated a 9th (top) floor room with Bosphorus view the second weekend.

Both the 8th and 9th floors are described as "executive" floors, as are the 6th and 7th. In other words, more than a third of the hotel's rooms come with lounge access. Not surprisingly, then, the lounge was often rather full. Many of the occupants were families, some of whom allowed their children to take over the four computers that make up the "business centre". Other children were running around being children, while some of the adult guests spent a lot of their time on the phone and/or in video chat sessions. Had we been trying to work, this could all have been rather frustrating. As it was, we were enjoying free time at either end of a conference and most of our visits to the lounge were relaxing enough. The lounge staff were a very hard working bunch who did an excellent job of keeping tables cleared and the buffet replenished. The food and drink offerings were generally very good and varied. We're not generally lounge fans but this -- despite the crowds and children -- was an exception.

The rooms are large enough and the two we saw were in good shape. The bathrooms serve to remind guests that Hilton is a U.S. chain and that this is its oldest European property: tons of marble, shower over the bath and -- shockingly, all those thousands of miles away from New Jersey -- dreadful American Standard toilets. The kind that use 25 litres of water to create wonderful swirling and whirling effects but don't actually flush very much away.

Moving swiftly on... WiFi was flaky. Very. The flat panel HD televisions are fed a decidedly non-HD signal through an old fashioned co-ax cable. The resulting picture quality varies from "dire" to "just about watchable".

Minor gripe: staff servicing the room tended to forget one item a day: one day there were no flannels (washcloths), one day there was no bathmat, one day the two complimentary bottles of water were not replaced.

Curiously, for a hotel hoping to sell (very expensive) wine and spirits from its minibars, there were no wine glasses or short glasses in the rooms -- just two tall water/cola glasses. We borrowed wine glasses from the lounge one evening, but staff weren't 100% happy about us doing so.

Would we return? Yes. The location worked for us and the lounge was good despite the crowds. That said, next time we'll compare prices and try the IC instead if it's not dramatically dearer.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by harryhv
Doubletree Old Town, nice hotel, great location with tram stop outside.

Be sure to buy a bunch of tokens for the tram from the machine at the tram-stop before getting on. One direction takes you to the SultanAhmet tourist area, the the Grand Bazaar and the Blue Mosque etc, while the other direction goes towards Galati bridge and the business centre. Once you've put in your token you can stay on the trams and do a sightseeing tour!

Cab to/from the airport is about $25, maybe 40 minutes depending on traffic.
Originally Posted by Santander
Second the Doubletree Old Town. The hotel is quite new and it's in a good location. I rented a car when I was there last year... big mistake.
Originally Posted by lewinr
+1 on DT Old Town
Originally Posted by the_savman
Another +1, DT is a great property.
does this property have a executive lounge????
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
None of the DT's in IST have an EL.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by UTA_flyinghigh
None of the DT's in IST have an EL.
sucks....this property still seems like the best hilton option in istanbul....thanks to premium room rewards, i'm getting a 3 night stay here for a total of 97,509 points....
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Well we did not think the DT was that great.mrsdrron is HH diamond.Booked basic room,got basic room at front of hotel.Very noisy.their restaurant on the top floor should be avoided-terrible value.
Quite frankly we preferred the time spent outside the Old town-the public transport is excellent,usually much quieter and much less chance being ripped off by shops,taxis and better restaurants.
We stayed before and after a cruise.second time was W istanbul.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Plat, National Executive
Which Hilton property is closest to airport? Looking to do a MR and looking to book 555am flight out next morning. Suggestions?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: QF P1,UA 1K,HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JayRich
Which Hilton property is closest to airport? Looking to do a MR and looking to book 555am flight out next morning. Suggestions?
I stayed at the Conrad and did the 5.45am flight to Frankfort. I booked an insanely early pick up and got to the airport in 20 mins. No traffic.

That being said, Doubletree gives you the best option for tram/metro to airport, but I would check if it runs early enough. Although I've read you can walk to the bus from the Hilton. I would go with the property with the best price, early flight=no traffic.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I had the KLM 05:55 flight on a Sunday last year IST-AMS.
No traffic, right? Wrong! I left from the Holiday Inn Sisli (Taksim side) and got caught for 20+ minutes in late-night, bars-closing, taxi traffic--at 330AM! Made the flight but it was exciting....
You just never know with IST traffic.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JayRich
DT Old Town is the closest to IST, then Hilton (Taksim area), then Conrad (Besiktas area).

For the time of your flight, your options are taxi and private car. Roughly around 25 Euro. Be aware of taxi drivers in Istanbul, I had problem even with taxi arranged by hotel. They don't use meter and try to charge more.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: HHonors, Miles&More
Best HH hotel in Istanbul

Hi all,

I am thinking of a weekend in Istanbul with my wife. Any hilton property that you would recommend to stay on points. I'm a diamond, so hoping for a good upgrade
That's our first time in Turkey.

Thanks!
Michal
Old Nov 2, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: QF P1,UA 1K,HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Here is link to a thread that is pretty informative.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-istanbul.html

I stayed at the Conrad my first time, planning on checking out the Hilton on this next trip. The Conrad was great, but a little far from the tourist sites.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Not sure if this helps, but I stayed at the Conrad and the HiltonParkSA a month back, and the Conrad was much nicer, and had a great view from the lounge. I've also heard good things about the main Hilton, which I believe is in a better location than either the Conrad or HiltonParkSA (which happen to be close to each other).
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You can also look at these threads and the links within:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...roperties.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...light=istanbul
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:01 pm

Stayed at the original Hilton back in May and my stay was decent. No suite UG as a Diamond but did have a nice balcony w/ view of Bosphorus. Lounge was spacious and well stock but NO outdoor terrace.

The Conrad lounge WITH terrace looks real nice and closer to Bosphorus but MUCH farther from old town and anything else relevant to tourism.

ParkSA has NO lounge and the location is a bit better than the Conrad.

I loved IST but don't try to use public transit....way too dirty, confusing and long, smelly, etc......TAXI's are the way to go.

Hope this helps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.