Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Istanbul, Turkey {TUR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old May 4, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Istanbul, Turkey {TUR}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: HH LifeTime Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt, AA, Delta
Originally Posted by omarr135
Many visitors to Istanbul rely on taxis; however, the city does have a very good public transport system. Using the trams it is easier to get into the old city than relying on taxis and bearing the traffic. From the Conrad it will cost about 5 TL to get 'Kabatas' which is the nearest tram station. From there, a tram will take you directly into the old city in about 15-20 mins.
I would agree, our nuclear family with (2) 20-year olds always use public transport when abroad to get the local feel. On the tram, our blue-eyed, sunstreaked, surfer dude son was being oogled by the young ladies in Burkas every time I turned my head. They thought he was Luke Skywalker or sumpin' -- it was a hoot. We felt very comfortable in Istanbul all week.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by sallyerd
They thought he was Luke Skywalker or sumpin' -- it was a hoot.
I'm curious: did you ask them specifically why they were looking?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by FrAAmer
Re: Water in the hotels-

I have spent weeks in Turkey all over the country and have NEVER had a problem with the water anywhere, especially at the Hilton in Istanbul.
And actually, my wife drank it a couple of times without any harm. But I happened to ask guest services about this and was told not to drink the tap water. And when I mentioned the tap water matter in an otherwise very complimentary communication with the manager, the response I got indicated that the tap water isn't suitable for drinking and that they would consider posting a notice to that effect.

So...especially in view of your experience, I'm not sure what to make of this. Why would the hotel say the water isn't safe when apparently it is? Erring on the side of caution? Maybe one bad experience that they're extrapolating from?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Where to stay in Istanbul on HH points?

I'll be travelling with my wife to IST next August and we are debating what is the best neighborhood to stay for a 2½ days stay, in order to maximize our time and get to do the most without wasting too much time in transit (taxi, metro, etc...)

We're thinking about the Old Town for the somehow close proximity to the Grand Bazaar, the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace and Hagia Sophia, but we haven't decided yet! The upcoming Doubletree Old Town seems very interesting, but we're not close minded, so any suggestions are welcome.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Super Larry
I'll be travelling with my wife to IST next August and we are debating what is the best neighborhood to stay for a 2½ days stay, in order to maximize our time and get to do the most without wasting too much time in transit (taxi, metro, etc...)

We're thinking about the Old Town for the somehow close proximity to the Grand Bazaar, the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace and Hagia Sophia, but we haven't decided yet! The upcoming Doubletree Old Town seems very interesting, but we're not close minded, so any suggestions are welcome.
The following threads have quite a bit of discussion of your options and the relative benefits of each:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...light=istanbul
Old Dec 31, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
My wife and I are also going to Istanbul next summer. This will be our second time in the city. The first time we stayed at the Four Seasons. It was a fantastic hotel and in a great location. Right next to the Blue Mosque, etc.

Based on wanting to see more of the Grand Bazaar, Spice Market etc., we have decided to stay at the Doubletree. It is a "new build" and is slated to open, I believe, in April. So by July or August they should have worked out the opening problems. The only downside is that they will not have a lounge. But who knows what they will do for Diamonds (if anything beyond the normal).

One thing, you might want to look at the "weekend" rates that Hilton is showing. We had booked on points (AXON) but are reconsidering. The current "weekend" rate is 104.5E per night (about $560) vs the 145K points.

Last edited by deant; Dec 31, 2010 at 4:24 pm
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by deant

One thing, you might want to look at the "weekend" rates that Hilton is showing. We had booked on points (AXON) but are reconsidering. The current "weekend" rate is 104.5E per night (about $560) vs the 145K points.
Noticed the same thing. However it's a non-refundable rate.

We might just book it on points for the time being and see how things are progressing on the rate front!

Thanks for the information!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by deant
Based on wanting to see more of the Grand Bazaar, Spice Market etc., we have decided to stay at the Doubletree. It is a "new build" and is slated to open, I believe, in April.
I am doing the same thing for July this year. Have chosen the Doubletree even though there is no lounge because the reviews for the Hiltons (x2) and Conrad in IST are just not suggestive of a WOW experience....
Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
Hilton or Conrad

The old Hilton is still one of Istanbul's best hotels in a prime location.
The Conrad offers incredible views. Just simply avoid the Novotel-like Hilton ParkSA.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, KLM, HILTON HONOURS
The Hilton Istanbul is a nice hotel with a good pool and a very good executive lounge which is open all day. it is about 10 minute walk to Taksim Sq. We used taxis to get to the sights and they were cheap. Rooms are spacious with balconies. The Bosphorus view rooms are nice. If you are going in August, it will be very hot so a pool may be very welcome.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by mac123
The Hilton Istanbul is a nice hotel with a good pool and a very good executive lounge which is open all day. it is about 10 minute walk to Taksim Sq. We used taxis to get to the sights and they were cheap. Rooms are spacious with balconies. The Bosphorus view rooms are nice. If you are going in August, it will be very hot so a pool may be very welcome.
I have just stayed at this property.

The main EL is closed for refurbishment until middle of next week, according to the letter they handed me at check in.
A small lounge is in operation on the 8th floor.
Still nice but the offerings were quite poor IMHO.

Last edited by more4less; Feb 13, 2011 at 12:57 pm Reason: wrong wording
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Originally Posted by PaxCGN
The old Hilton is still one of Istanbul's best hotels in a prime location.
The Conrad offers incredible views. Just simply avoid the Novotel-like Hilton ParkSA.
^ Conrad Hilton is great!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles and more, Sofitel Privelege, Priority Club Platinum Amb
Hilton Istanbul

I'm a regular at the Hilton Istanbul and think it's great. Lounge was closed last week for refurb, but hopefully open shortly. It's one of the best hotel lounges I've been to, great breakfast and very attentive staff through the day/evening. Views from Bosphorus rooms are great, with all rooms (I've stayed in) having a balcony. City rooms not so good but stll OK. Pool area is nice in summer when it gets really hot. 10 min walk from Taksim square which leads to the main shopping street and probably 15 min taxt ride to all the tourist sights (Blue mosue, grand bazaar, cistern etc).
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, AVIS Presidents' Club
Originally Posted by Anothersuitcase-anotherhall
I'm a regular at the Hilton Istanbul and think it's great. Lounge was closed last week for refurb, but hopefully open shortly. It's one of the best hotel lounges I've been to, great breakfast and very attentive staff through the day/evening. Views from Bosphorus rooms are great, with all rooms (I've stayed in) having a balcony. City rooms not so good but stll OK. Pool area is nice in summer when it gets really hot. 10 min walk from Taksim square which leads to the main shopping street and probably 15 min taxt ride to all the tourist sights (Blue mosue, grand bazaar, cistern etc).
+1 ^
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Istanbul- Hilton or Conrad?

I'll be cashing in points for a three night stay this summer in Istanbul. Any experience between Conrad and Hilton?

TripAdvisor has rated Hilton higher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.