Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo: Nov 23 – 26, 2011

(Metacomment: all of the pictures shown in the review and a few others are located here.)

(Note: Have had these pictures up on photobucket for a while but haven’t had much time to generate a review. Given that this is one of the original Hilton family properties on the Central Coast that we’ve consistently gone to, I wanted to add some notes to this thread as reference.)

Why Here? With our family of 5, we used to fit ourselves into some of the numerous motels around the SLO area when we’d come up to visit with my grandparents over the past decade. However, with the Central Coast being a weekend getaway spot for those going north from the LA area or south from the Bay Area or simply passing through on the 101, there’s been continuous additions over time – and we needed a larger place to stay that wasn’t horrendously expensive. This property, with its suites, fits the bill. Unfortunately, it fits the bill for many families, sports teams, groups, etc. so it sees plenty of demand year round.

The Reservation: Came up for Thanksgiving week to spend time with my grandparents and to bring the great-grandkids as well as have that all important Turkey Day family get together. Booked two rooms at this property because my father-in-law came up with us as well. The problem was we had booked the first room fairly early via hilton.com so I had gotten an AAA rate of $132/night. We booked my FIL’s room later and that came in at a bifurcated rate of $159 for the first night and $129 for the next two. Also, because I wasn’t able to add my FIL’s room to the first reservation, Hilton wouldn’t give me credit for his room nights (not that I needed them but the FT in me wasn’t happy about that…).

Location: Hard by the 101, just south of SLO’s downtown. Since we’re from the southern end of the state, we see the property first and then exit on Madonna Road. Since this property is part of the Central Coast Mall/SLO Promenade and adjacent Madonna Plaza, there’s plenty of parking – all of it free.

Here’s a view from the side of the hotel nearest the 101:

The Property: This is a standard issue, large central atrium ES property. 4 floors of rooms that ring the atrium as well as some side wings which provide tunnel-like walks to get to the rooms furthest from the atrium.

Some data off of Yahoo indicates this property dates from 1987 and the general construction, materials used, etc. seem clear it is of the 1980s. Another website says this property was last updated/renovated in 2008 – not sure I agree given what you see in these photos. I personally don’t recall much “renovation” from 4 years back.

They used to give you these property specific key card holders that have a property map – click the image below to pull up a larger version:

Layout: Here’s a stitched view of the atrium from the 4th floor – click for a larger image:

Biggest hassle at this property is the elevators. There are two for the guests and they tend to get backed up as people wait on each floor to go up and down. There are a few stairways at each of the corners that work if you want to use them instead of having to wait.

Room 106: Just off of the Front Desk and Gift Shop is this room down one of those tunnel walks:

(Just to note, we’ve stayed in rooms on every floor of this property but seldom (never?) in the x22 thru x48 numbered series. This may have more to do with reserving rooms with 2 queen beds instead of, say 1 king. Hilton’s website seems to indicate that some of these 1 king rooms are executive suites, grand suites and that there are smoking rooms at this property – which I was frankly surprised at in California but there appears not to be any statewide laws WRT smoke-free hotels – only local and county bans.)

You get an anteroom/living room with a pull-out sofabed that is not very comfortable to sleep on:

There’s a microwave and small refrigerator as well:

The bathroom is situated between this living room and the bedroom:

I personally prefer this layout for a suite so that anyone who needs to use the bathroom at night doesn’t have to disturb everyone in the room.

Since the outer sink and the inner sink are granite and the floor tile looks new, this may have been what the 2008 renovation was all about:

However, when you go into the bathroom, the tiling in the shower/tub shows off the 1980’s vintage of this property…

At that time, this property provided the Crabtree and Evelyn Naturals bath amenities:

For some reason, I forgot to take any pictures of the bedroom. Biggest issues I had were the vintage of the armoire and the dated bedspreads and furnishings.

Breakfast: This is an ES, you get a complimentary breakfast in their cooked-to-order style. For us as a large family, this is clearly one of the draws in staying at an ES given the selection and the savings in not having to trek out somewhere and get breakfast for 5. As a business traveler, I’ve had issues before at ES’s not having breakfast ready early enough before I might have needed to leave for early meetings and/or a flight. Also, here, you tend to compete for food given the sheer number that are being fed, the competition for clean utensils and the potential wait to get an omelet made or eggs cooked to order as well as finding a clean open table –especially on the weekends.

Here are a few views:

Bottom line: The breakfast crew here is usually very cheerful and service oriented but can get backed up at peak rush periods. YMMV. Hours are M-F 6:30 to 9:30 and S-S 7 – 10.

Coffee/Non-Breakfast/Bar/Manager’s Reception This property has its own coffee operation both during and after breakfast:

The atrium restaurant calls itself the Greenhouse Grill and Café when not serving breakfast. During Thanksgiving, they offered up a full Turkey Day dinners, which, in retrospect, would have been better for us to have brought the family here instead of going where my cousin had reserved us at this past year.

There’s a daily Manager’s Reception from 5:30 to 7:30. They’ll have popcorn, chips and salsa and bring out a platter or two of crudités. It's also gonna be busy. Given that this is property is in the Central Coast winegrowing region of California, you can get wine and sodas on tap from the bar during the reception.

Pool & Fitness: From the condition of the equipment and the rooms, this was likely another location for renovation back in 2008. These two facilities adjoin and you get to look out over the indoor pool as you exercise:

Summary: With now 3 other Hilton family properties open in the SLO/Five Cities area, this ES is no longer the only option for HHonors members. However, it is clearly still one of the larger hotels in the region and its all-suites’ rooms provide a fairly good value for many of us who travel into SLO and the Central Coast. While this property may have undergone some renovation back in 2008, I personally think that a more extensive overhaul is needed – but I suspect that as long as the demand continues, the management of this property will hold off on a larger renovation.

David
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:23 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
I have stayed here 6 times in the last two or so years. Yes, it is an older ES. Yes there are only two slow elevators, but there is also a service elevator commonly used by the public in the opposite corner. It is a bit faster that the main elevators, and near the pool.

DELee's pics and review is quite thorough. Overall not a shining star, but the staff is very friendly, the hotel is clean, there is a rental car operation (AVIS) in the lobby, it is next to a medium sized shopping center with many options, and it is a pleasant place to stay.

Plus I went to Cal Poly, and love stopping there!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
I have stayed here 6 times in the last two or so years. Yes, it is an older ES. Yes there are only two slow elevators, but there is also a service elevator commonly used by the public in the opposite corner. It is a bit faster that the main elevators, and near the pool.

DELee's pics and review is quite thorough. Overall not a shining star, but the staff is very friendly, the hotel is clean, there is a rental car operation (AVIS) in the lobby, it is next to a medium sized shopping center with many options, and it is a pleasant place to stay.

Plus I went to Cal Poly, and love stopping there!
I will echo this. I am at this hotel for the week. Overall, it is an average ES. It is older and needs an overhaul, but all in all, the property is not that bad.

THe manager's reception is adequate and currently they are serving beer in the bottle while they work out things.

I have an atrium room which could be a bit noisy in the evening and morning, but I do not mind it all that much. Bed is comfortable and the staff is very
friendly and helpful.

They offer some specials at breakfast that break up the normal omelet and egg thing. I was not all that impressed with the eggs benedict, but it was different from the normal grind.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo: Nov 21 – 24, 2012

(Metacomment: all of the pictures shown in the review and a few others were/are located here - if the website doesn't work, please PM me)

Just thought I'd update the thread again. Our stay was again during Thanksgiving week this year.

Reservation:

Initial reservation via the HHonors website had us in a 2 Queen Smoking @ $139.68 (1st night)/$144 (next two) using AAA rate search. After I noticed it was for a smoking room, was unable to get it modified directly. Ended up cancelling that reservation and rebooking for a non-smoking room again @ AAA rate which made it $144.53 (2 nights)/$149 (1 night). However, after I got the bill on the last day, FD had kept the $144.53 rate for all three nights. A note that with occupancy tax, CA tourism tax and SLO tourism tax, add another $17.43 per night.

Entrance/Front Desk/Floor Mats:

For some reason, I remember larger doors that used to swing in/out. Now they are bi-folds that are on a sensor to auto open when you get close enough (was: es-slo-29.jpg):

Here's the front desk which is opposite the elevators - during peak times, there's usually two staffing the desk (es-slo-42.jpg):

Another touch I don't remember are the following floor mats (es-slo-4.jpg):

These show the hours for breakfast as well as the evening reception.

Suite 352:

Received Suite 352 this time. It's located along the corridor on the west side of the property at the southwest end (was: es-slo-1.jpg, es-slo-3.jpg):

Here's the view out across the atrium (es_slo_stitch02l.jpg):

With our family of 5, we asked for a rollaway bed and moved the furniture around the living room area to accommodate it accordingly (see: es-slo-25.jpg; was: es-slo-10.jpg, es-slo-9.jpg, es-slo-8.jpg):

This suite, as with the others we've had here, had its small fridge, microwave and the shower/bath still needs an update. Same bathroom amenities as last year.

This time I remembered to take photos of the bedroom as well as a view out/in (see: es-slo-15.jpg, es-slo-19.jpg, es-slo-17.jpg; was: es-slo-27.jpg):

Guest Laundry:

Haven't ever needed before but the Guest Laundry is around the corner from this room (3rd floor, southwest corner) (es-slo-32.jpg):

Two washers, two dryers, detergent dispenser - all coin op. $1.50 per wash, $1.00 for drying, $0.75 per detergent item (es-slo-33.jpg).

There's also a table and chair for folding items.

Other Comments:

On the desk when we entered the room was my Diamond amenities (2 bottles of water, candy bars) - didn't get a photo before the kids got to them...

On Thanksgiving, we received a bottle of wine, a nifty decorated corkscrew and a postcard thanking us for staying (es-slo-6.jpg, embassysuites_slo_02l.jpg):

On a dollar for dollar basis for my family of 5, this property continues to provide a better value than either of the Hampton Inn's, the HGI or (especially) the Courtyard.

David
Attached Images           
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by DELee; Jun 1, 2018 at 12:44 am Reason: stupid greedy photo storage website
Old May 31, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Had a recent stay here. Quick check in with friendly employees, status recognized. As noted by others, it is an older property with older furnishings. That said the couch and chairs are not frayed and the edges of tables are not worn. It is just a common ES.

Manager's reception in the evening featured several above average wines, sangria, beer (including a local draft IPA), mixed drinks (with some call brands). No limit on the drinks. Snacks were chips, salsa, and veggies.

Used the fitness center and it is the typical limited facility common to many hampton and ES properties. Equipment was all in working order; towels, water, and ear phones available.

Breakfast wasn't busy with the typical ES setup including an omelet cooked to order station and friendly employees.

As with other malls several of the stores have closed in the adjacent malls.

Easy access to the 101. Overall a pleasant stay.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Had a recent stay here. Quick check in with friendly employees, status recognized. As noted by others, it is an older property with older furnishings. That said the couch and chairs are not frayed and the edges of tables are not worn. It is just a common ES.

Manager's reception in the evening featured several above average wines, sangria, beer (including a local draft IPA), mixed drinks (with some call brands). No limit on the drinks. Snacks were chips, salsa, and veggies.

Used the fitness center and it is the typical limited facility common to many hampton and ES properties. Equipment was all in working order; towels, water, and ear phones available.

Breakfast wasn't busy with the typical ES setup including an omelet cooked to order station and friendly employees.

As with other malls several of the stores have closed in the adjacent malls.

Easy access to the 101. Overall a pleasant stay.
Stay here 2 or 3 times a year for the past 4 or 5 years. jerry a laska's report is accurate. The only thing I would add is there has been a major remodel of the lobby area over the last year, an upgrade to the facilitities and to the offerings during the Manager's Reception.

Unfortunately they have a homeless problem around the area. Took $3k in damage to my car in Nov 2017 due to vandalism by homeless. But stayed there in May, and have a booking for September.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Any recent stay reports, trying to compare a stay later this year to here vs The Kinney.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:38 pm

I stay at the property frequently. Good about Diamond upgrades and the pandemic breakfast, while not usual ES standard, wasn’t bad...three different to-go boxes plus a few other items.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
I stay at the property frequently. Good about Diamond upgrades and the pandemic breakfast, while not usual ES standard, wasn’t bad...three different to-go boxes plus a few other items.
Agree. As mentioned, above, stay there 3 or 4 times a year, most recently last month. Not the standard Embassy Suites situation with Covid, but not a bad place at all to stay. Will continue to stop by frequently.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Agree. As mentioned, above, stay there 3 or 4 times a year, most recently last month. Not the standard Embassy Suites situation with Covid, but not a bad place at all to stay. Will continue to stop by frequently.
I miss Augie the breakfast cook and bartenders Frank and Matt tho.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld
I miss Augie the breakfast cook and bartenders Frank and Matt tho.
Yes...Frank is great. Don't know if I have met Matt. I can only think of one time we were there that Frank wasn't working (Pre-Covid). We still call stopping there "visiting Frank".
Old Feb 24, 2021, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Thanks for the recent reports - I assume with COVID there's no managers reception in evenings or anything like that right?

Also, I understand the location is different from the Kinney but if I'm burning free Weekend Night certs from the Aspire would anyone suggest the ES over the Kinney? What kind of UG's are you getting at the ES as a Diamond?
Old Feb 24, 2021, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Thanks for the recent reports - I assume with COVID there's no managers reception in evenings or anything like that right?

Also, I understand the location is different from the Kinney but if I'm burning free Weekend Night certs from the Aspire would anyone suggest the ES over the Kinney? What kind of UG's are you getting at the ES as a Diamond?
No current ES managers reception. The Kinney is walkable to downtown (not immediately-adjacent, but not a bad walk), the ES really isn’t unless you’re somewhat intrepid. As a Lifetime Diamond, I'm always upgraded into one of the Grand Suites (#342 or #442) if available...likely also because I stay there frequently. #242 is also a Grand Suite but is accessible and not as ideal for me. If you’re noise-sensitive, none of those are probably preferable for you since they’re on the freeway side of the property. All the other suites are standard ES, with limited variety in layout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.