Is status worth it?

Old Feb 14, 2002, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Is status worth it?

Hi All -

Frequent complainer on the OnePass board, but I have some questions about hotel programs in general, Hilton in specific.

I've always been the type who books a hotel based on location and price. I gravitiate towards Marriott family properties because I like Residence Inns.

But in my CO Platinum kit, I received an offer from Hilton. It's a challenge of sorts. The call got me to Silver status, and 4 Hilton family stays in the next 90 days will get me to Gold. I can do 4 hotel stays in 90 days without hardly thinking about it.

I understand the point of having status with an airline, but is there that much difference in hotel stays when you have status? Enough to do what the programs intend? To make me want to stay at their properties more?

I'd appreciate your opinions. The new realities of travel mean that I'm spending more time in the car and less in airplanes. This could be a important factor in hotel stays, but I need a little guidance! Thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2002, 1:50 pm

IMO, the primary reasons to chase Diamond status at Hilton is:

1. Upgrades at stays (assuming the hotel has the capability to upgrade)
2. No blackout dates when booking reward travel
3. Reward travel - you use your airmiles to get somewhere free on a vacation, why not have a free hotel while there?

I've used my points for a stay at the Sedona Hilton last year (saved $1500 on room charges) and have booked a stay at the Hawaiian Waikoloa for next Xmas (6 nights for free!). Makes for nicer holidays for sure!

For me, I have to sleep somewhere while travelling on business, so where possible, I stay at the Hilton chain to maximize my points.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 1:51 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
Oh Boy, you've not really traveled until you've traveled as an HHonors Diamond VIP.

The benefits are very worth the loyalty. And, unlike the ingrates at CO, the folks at Hilton actually appreciate the loyalty, and go out of their way to do whatever they can to make your traveling easier. They actually talk to you, take your e-mail, resolve problems, etc.

Old Feb 14, 2002, 2:05 pm

Even Gold status has come in quite handy for me the last two years. Especially if you travel internationally, the free breakfast (I always have gotten this without showing the rules, but I carry the rules anyway), free hrs d'oeuvres, free evening drinks, free newspaper, and free health club access can easily save you $20-$30 per day. Plus more often than not, I have gotten a suite; this is especially important in Europe where the standard rooms are small by my standards, and when staying for several days, as I get claustrophobic.

Even lowly silver status entitles you to get the vacation rewards, and some of them are quite nice.

Go for the gold.

Joe
Old Feb 14, 2002, 2:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's worth it for the upgrades and the breakfasts.

It's so eary to earn with Hilton, there is probably one of their hotels within a few mines of most places in the country. (OK, maybe not that tight, but there are lots of them out there)
Old Feb 14, 2002, 2:52 pm

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
with hilton it is the shear speed at which you can earn points that makes it almost fun (had 30,000 post today) You can use them reall easy as well. And as a Diamond - well the manager at the Sandton Hilton cried as he could only offer me a suite - i was paying $60 a night for 1 week
Old Feb 14, 2002, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Its worth the four stays for a gold. If you can do it no problem, You absolutely should do it. you have nothing to lose and a lot to gain on this offer. Remember if you want to go cheap too.. Hampton inn's count as well toward the gold status

[This message has been edited by TrojanHorse (edited 02-14-2002).]
Old Feb 14, 2002, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Thanks for all the advice, sounds like I might just enjoy this new status!

Oh yeah, there's a Hampton Inn stay in my future, plus the Toronto Hilton, and an Embassy Suites (hey I already get breakfast there, and they're all suites!). Thats just the next 2 weeks, so getting the 4th stay will be done by the end of the month!
Old Feb 14, 2002, 4:11 pm

for your benefit as a newbie in the HH program:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/003400.html

basically, you can earn 2,000 points per quarter by updating your profile...
Old Feb 14, 2002, 4:24 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Please also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000628.html
Old Feb 15, 2002, 1:51 am

It was written:

Oh yeah, there's a Hampton Inn stay in my future, plus the Toronto Hilton

My reply:

Since I gripe now and then, I also like to make positive contributions. The Toronto Hilton is one well run property. All in all probably the most professional acting staff of all the Hiltons I have stayed at. Hilton should send people there to intern.

The only downer is you will pay a small fortune to park there.

By the by, the sausage the street vendors sell is fantastic. Much better then what can be had in the states. And the art district is interesting, albeit a bit dangerous in places so be careful.

TFB
Old Feb 15, 2002, 5:41 am

Location: ORF & AUS; I have an ex-wife and and an ex-house in both cities.
Programs: AA Gold, DL GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Every time I eat my free Cheez-its and drink my free water in my room at a Hampton Inn I thank my good graces that I am a Diamond.

That being said, Hilton REALLY treats its elites well!

[This message has been edited by dbmaury (edited 02-15-2002).]
Old Feb 15, 2002, 7:31 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dbmaury:
Every time I eat my free Cheez-its and drink my free water in my room at a Hampton Inn I think my good graces that I am a Diamond.
</font>
I think Hampton's are a huge plus to the HHonors program. I've never stayed at a Starwood property but I'm sure the average rate is much more than the average Hampton.
Old Feb 15, 2002, 8:48 am

Location: ORF & AUS; I have an ex-wife and and an ex-house in both cities.
Programs: AA Gold, DL GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyByMike:
I think Hampton's are a huge plus to the HHonors program. I've never stayed at a Starwood property but I'm sure the average rate is much more than the average Hampton. </font>
Agreed. The Hampton is a good mid-teer property that makes corporate bean counters happy. The Starwood lowest end (4 points) has bad coverage and can be pricey. I haven't seen many cities without a Hampton Inn. I like that I can stay at Hampton on the company's nickel and earn rewards at places like Jalouse ro HHV.

Old Feb 15, 2002, 10:53 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Did a little test on a six day trip to Florida recently. Stays as follows.

TPA Sheraton Suites (Starwoood Gold). Rate $60. Priceline stay, no difference than ordinary no status stay except the cost was less than 1/2 of ordinary. No upgrade, no breakfast. Picked up USA today at the desk. Dirty facility. Paid more than it was worth.

Hampton Inn: Sarasota I-75: Rate: $99. HHonors Gold-18 2001 stays. Hampton touch after call to desk (we were walk-ins). With proding, provided cheapest weekend rate. Largest selection of items I've seen at breakfast buffet.

Radisson Sanibel Gateway: Rate $99.Presented Radisson elite card that showed up in mail. Upon return home, read the rules and found out that this is not a participating property. Sign out front said, "cheapest rates off the beach". (was $10 less than the Country Suites just up the road). Told me he had never seen the card, called Raddison Goldpoints and iterated that the card might get me reduced awards. Nothing else. Upgrade? to poolside (3rd floor) outside entrance motel.
Breakfast rate would be $149.00. We went to McDonalds down the road.

Hampton Inn: Ft. Meyers Airport. $89. walk-in. double Hampton touch because there are "two of you" in the room. Breakfast buffet-standard Hampton.

Wyndham: Orlando Resort (International Drive). $69. Wyndham ByRequest, booked on Expedia and prepaid, 2 nights. Large garden view room way in back. By Request items, most (no wine) placed in room after check-in. 10 oz. diet Coke, 1 bottle water, 1/2# really excellent mixed nuts. USA Today next morning. Extra pillows, foam, as requested.

Next day, 9 towels big and fluffy. ByRequest item. 2 more pillows. USA Today and Wall Street Journal at door in morning. No breakfast but McDonalds is diagonally across the road.

My Ranking for the six days:

1. WyndhamByRequest This was the first time in our lives that we had stayed in a Wyndham. Seems that they have a limited number of properties and are comparatively expensive on normal stays. Good program, but limited usefullness.

2. HHonors because the stays were at Hamptons. Got what was promised. Hilton stays (except FLL Airport) have always been excellent. IMO this is the best program of all because you can use it at a large number and variety of hotels including Camino Real and now, Scandic.
3. Starwood Gold, maybe I'm being unfair because of the facility and the Priceline stay, but seems to have lesser value than HHonors.
4. Radisson Elite. Thanks for the nice pen and the ordinary-looking card sent in great marketing material. Worthless program.

Just my opinion. Fact is Hilton should comp you Gold without the 4 stays. Try it, you might like it.

Go Qwakers, er, sorry, Ducks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.