Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Strasbourg {FRA} (France)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2009, 2:51 pm

Hilton Strasbourg - May 2009

The Hilton Strasbourg (HHonors Category 4), Avenue Herrenschmidt, 67000 Strasbourg, Tel.: +33-388-371-010, Fax: +33-388-368-327, email: [email protected]
is located opposite Congress Center, approximately 10 minutes walking distance from European Parliament, or approx. 5 minutes (4 stops by tram) from City Center.

If you are arriving by car, be aware the hotel is not very easy to find, at least if you are not French and familiar with their street system, street signs and the traffic. Valet parking is available. Valet / self parking is 19.00 € per day. There are also a lot of free parking spaces right opposite the hotel. The tram stop is 3 minutes down Avenue Herrenschmidt. If you need a cab, there was no taxi stand around the hotel. Ask Guest Relations (right next to the Front Desk) for assistance.

Check-in was fast and polite and yes, they speak English (remember you are in France!). All my room-preferences set in my profile were honored. Received an upgrade to an Executive Room on 4th floor with lounge access. Baggage assistance wasn’t offered.

In my room I found a welcome note from the General Manager, two complimentary bottles of water and a box with perfumed candles and incense sticks. The room was clean and was equipped with A/C (kind of noisy), an old CRT TV, bathrobes, slippers, in-room coffee-maker, iron, ironing-board and of course the Hilton clock. The minibar was stocked with: orange juice, apple juice 5.00 €, Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Tonic Water 5.50 €, Evian, Perrier, Badoit Mineral water, Heineken, Kronenbourg Beer 6.00 €, Vodka, Gin, Whisky, Rum, Martini 8.00 €, Cognac 12.00 €, Champagne (0.375 l) 30.00 €.

The bathroom was about average size, clean, well lighted, with a nice tub and the usual La Source amenities.

The Executive Lounge is located on the 7th floor (you need your room key for access). We were greeted friendly by the staff. Opening hours: 06:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m (incl. weekends). Newspapers and magazines (German, English, French) were available. The bar was stocked with: French white wine, red wine, Crémant (French sparkling wine), beer, orange juice, tomato juice, Coke, Diet Coke, Orangina, Tonic Water, Bitter Lemon, as well as vodka, whisky, Martini and a few other spirits (alcoholic beverages avail. From 06:00 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.). They offered also some cake, assorted cheese with grapes and French rolls and two hot items (chicken wings and sausages in puff pastry). Free WiFi is not available.

We had dinner at the Le Jardin du Tivoli Restaurant, which also has an outdoor patio (if weather permitted). First we waited a couple of minutes to get a table on the terrace. Service wasn’t very attentive, so I had to remind them to show me a table. After being seated we waited for approx. 15 minutes for a waiter to show up, with no luck. So we decided to go inside and get a table over there. We were seated right away but had to wait another 10 - 15 minutes for a waiter to show up, in an almost empty restaurant! They offered a small buffet for 31.00 € or a à la carte menu (mostly seafood, average price: 23.00 € – 35.00 € for an entrée). We had a sirloin-steak with baked potatoes and Pinot Noir sauce, a sirloin-steak with French fries and Sauce Bernaise and two glasses of Zinfandel for 54.00 €.

The La Table du Chef Restaurant which is located right next to the Le Jardin du Tivoli Restaurant was closed.

Next morning we tried the Le Jardin du Tivoli Restaurant again for breakfast. Selection was ... POOR! One sort of toast, one sort of bread, Danish, Croissants, three different cereals, milk, soy milk, one sort of cheese, one sort of spread cheese, ham, salami, butter, margarine, honey, marmalade, fruit salad, scrambled eggs, sausages, mushrooms, baked tomatoes, pancakes, grapefruit juice, multi-vitamin-juice, coffee and water. Most of the trays were empty while we were there for breakfast and the staff didn’t seem to care pretty much about it. Once in a while a cook came out of the kitchen to bring new juice, Danishes and toast to the buffet. They also had made to order eggs, pancakes, waffles but no waiter seemed willing to take an order.

Check-out was fast, friendly and accurate.

A few days later I received an email from the GM, thanking me for taking the time to fill out their guest questionnaire. He apologized for the experience we discovered at the Jardin Restaurant and ensured that this has been discussed with his F&B Manager to assure even better guest services in the future.

Final notes: The Strasbourg Hilton has a nice location. Rooms are OK as is the Executive Lounge. On the downside I have to mention, that their staff isn’t really attentive. The quality of the food is below average and way overpriced. If you can get a good rate at this hotel and access to the Executive Lounge, I do recommend this property.

***pictures available upon request***

Last edited by servus; Jun 12, 2009 at 2:11 am Reason: adding more info
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Any recent trip reports on this property? How is quality of the internet access in guest room and is there now wifi in the Executive Lounge?
Thank you.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by fmkgb
Any recent trip reports on this property? How is quality of the internet access in guest room and is there now wifi in the Executive Lounge?
Thank you.
Internet access in guest rooms is OK!

But read this:

"...Our bar and restaurant will be temporarily closed for refurbishment between 16th February and 17th April 2012. Bar and catering services will be available throughout this period....."
Old Mar 25, 2012, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
not to bad if you follow the signs to Congress Center as the hotel is across the street (if you're coming off the autobahn from Germany you'll see signs for the CC just after you cross the bridge)

Originally Posted by servus
If you are arriving by car, be aware the hotel is not very easy to find, at least if you are not French and familiar with their street system, street signs and the traffic.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
A Little Dated, Great Stay!

Stayed for 1 nite in Oct. Upgraded to large room on Excutive Floor. Excutive lounge open all day. Evening reception featured area food and wines. Really enjoyed my stay and will return.
Old May 20, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: M&M, HHonors Gold
Update on Hilton Strasbourg

We have stayed there last Friday night. (as often before)

Stay was very pleasant. (as always)

The Executive lounge has moved from the 7th floor to the ground floor right to the restaurant entrance. It is remodeled with a lot of wood paneling and new furniture. But there are no windows and no view of the cathedral.
Food and bar have improved and are very good.

The restaurant has also be renovated, but we didn't use it because we had dinner out of town.

Parking across the street is free.

JT
Old Oct 11, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by jthiel1
We have stayed there last Friday night. (as often before)

Parking across the street is free.

JT
I have a stay coming up shortly. Can you elaborate exactly where "across the street" parking is free? Is it free every day or just weekends? Is it safe to leave car there? Ours is a rental and I don't want to take any chances with it.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Originally Posted by fmkgb
I have a stay coming up shortly. Can you elaborate exactly where "across the street" parking is free? Is it free every day or just weekends? Is it safe to leave car there? Ours is a rental and I don't want to take any chances with it.
Across the street can be on either of two sides of the hotel. Both sides are visible from the hotel. During the day time parking can be scarce because of the university, but after business hours parking opens up. I parked my rental Mercedes on the street overnite with no problems.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
We stayed here last week (Sunday til Tuesday) having booked with the (incredibly low) 'flash-sale-rate'. The new look of the lobby and restaurant is great. We were upgraded to the executive floor. The furniture in our room (717) looked dated. When I stayed here about two years ago, we had an executive room on the other side of the hallway that looked more modern.
Staff was very friendly. We met both concierges and both did a good job. I find the hotel well connected by public transport (which is cheap with a ticket for 2-3 persons valid 24 hrs for €5.70 only). The hotel sells tickets, too. (And if you would come by car: yes, the free parking in the street is still available.)
The executive lounge is adjacent to the lobby now. Unfortunately: no views. The offerings were very good. There is an excellent young multilangual lady managing the lounge (she makes day times only). And she interpretes the Hilton regulations in favour of the guests. This woman is a major achievement of the Hilton Strasbourg. She makes you feeling welcome!!!
By the way, Strasbourg at this time of the year is nicely decorated. That is great. By this it attracts many tourists especially during the weekends. But that is not a particular phenomenon at Strasbourg only.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: LX SEN, A3 Gold, BAEC Silver, HH Dia, CCarlson Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Going on a Alsace Wine route bike tour on a July weekend and finishing in Strasbourg, worth burning points as HH G* here or rather stay in one of the nicer city center hotels?

First timer to the city.

Thanks a lot for your advices ^
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:44 pm

The hotel is isolated, but the tram is just a 3-5 minute walk from the hotel and takes you to city center in 10 minutes.

The hotel restaurant menu doesn't look too interesting, but the Exec Lounge offers a soup, a hot item, and some other nibbles at night. There is also wine and beer. Breakfast is the standard Hilton buffet breakfast.

We would eat a big lunch in town, and the Exec Lounge provided enough for a simple dinner. If looking for a more elaborate dinner, the hotel restaurant is the only option as there is nothing else nearby.

I stayed a few weeks ago and found the hotel staff to be very helpful.

Originally Posted by fkaway
Going on a Alsace Wine route bike tour on a July weekend and finishing in Strasbourg, worth burning points as HH G* here or rather stay in one of the nicer city center hotels?

First timer to the city.

Thanks a lot for your advices ^
Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:49 am

Programs: LX SEN, A3 Gold, BAEC Silver, HH Dia, CCarlson Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by bamboola
The hotel is isolated, but the tram is just a 3-5 minute walk from the hotel and takes you to city center in 10 minutes.

The hotel restaurant menu doesn't look too interesting, but the Exec Lounge offers a soup, a hot item, and some other nibbles at night. There is also wine and beer. Breakfast is the standard Hilton buffet breakfast.

We would eat a big lunch in town, and the Exec Lounge provided enough for a simple dinner. If looking for a more elaborate dinner, the hotel restaurant is the only option as there is nothing else nearby.

I stayed a few weeks ago and found the hotel staff to be very helpful.

Thanks for your inputs, bamboola ^
Old Jul 4, 2013, 3:20 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
I stayed in December as Diamond for two nights. It was my 3rd stay (first two as Gold). All in all, I like this hotel and, above all, I like the staff.
The (comparetively) nearby tram stop is a plus. This makes up for the location. There are day tickets available at the vending machine and at the hotel, too.
Parking space outside the hotel seems frequently available for free and saves parking costs.
This time we were accomodated looking at the 'non-cathedral' side. I would prefer cathedral view.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Zurich
I stayed in December as Diamond for two nights. It was my 3rd stay (first two as Gold). All in all, I like this hotel and, above all, I like the staff.
The (comparetively) nearby tram stop is a plus. This makes up for the location. There are day tickets available at the vending machine and at the hotel, too.
Parking space outside the hotel seems frequently available for free and saves parking costs.
This time we were accomodated looking at the 'non-cathedral' side. I would prefer cathedral view.

As we will be on a motor bike, parking should not be an issue at/around the hotel. Good to know that the tram connection is handy if ever needed.
Thanks a lot for these additional infos, Zurich ^
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Update on the hotel from July 2015.

Booked it last minute, 3h before arriving. Booked cheapest King Room and got upgrade to Exec King on 4th floor. Corridors and room a bit dated but otherwise comfortable with all expected amenities.

Lounge on ground floor opened between 6.00am and 22.00am. Between 18.00 and 20.00 a bit of food and alcohol (wine and sparkling wine), 15.00 - 18.00 cakes but very poor choice. Didn't try breakfast in lounge.

Breakfast in restaurant ok. Scrambled eggs didn't look very well so I ordered fried from waiter. There's no info about ordering but other people ordered omelettes as well.

Tourists groups have separate breakfast area so when you see coaches parked in front of the hotel, don't worry about crowds in restaurant.

On website it says parking costs 20 Euro per day, the same by the gate, but I wasn't charged and didn't complain. Every time I wanted to leave car park, I got free ticket to open the gate. It didn't show on Folio so I didn't say anything.

There's free parking on the street adjacent to hotel, however didn't see a lot of free spaces close to the hotel on arrival on Saturday afternoon. It got better during the week but it's holiday season. Porsche and similar cars on foreign plates were parked on the street so it's rather safe area.

I had no problem finding the hotel, navigation sent me straight to it. Access to Old Town by Tram. You can buy tickets at reception or at the machines at every tram stop. It's possible to walk to European Parliament, it's not far, or 2 stops by tram. 3 stops to Old Town on tram B. It was all explained to my at the reception and also got all the info what to see.

I initially booked one night only but stayed for the second. Strasbourg is very nice and Hilton was cheap and good value for money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.