FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Right to gold (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/125512-right-gold.html)

marbuck Jan 6, 2002 7:59 pm

Right to gold

Today, after just 3 stays over thepast 10 days (vacationing in Atlanta/Florida), I was granted 'gold' status by the person who answered the HH 800 number. I told him I was AC elite and would have my fourth stay next week. I had expected silver, but got gold.

Now, the question is, what does it all mean. What is the "Embassy (or Hampton) Touch", and what upgrades do you 'really' get (I get a sense from persuing other threads here that these can be marginal, if any). I suppose the major advantage is more points which go into my AC account to avoid ever paying Y or M business level fares (and thus bring my travel costs to a reasonable level).

afang Jan 6, 2002 8:17 pm

With them giving away Golds...it will probably be hard to get upgraded...

Hampton Touch is cookies and a bottled water.

IM4Travel Jan 6, 2002 8:52 pm

Everyone and their mothers' are Gold due to the recent promotions....you need to get to Diamond to see the real benefits.

shadow Jan 6, 2002 10:54 pm

After being HH Gold for the past 3 years it looks like I've got a good shot for Diamond this year. I should have 9 stays in by the end of Feb.

Looking forward to experiencing those differences...

RoadWeary Jan 7, 2002 4:04 am

As a gold, I have had pretty good luck getting upgraded rooms, breakfast, etc.

The Embassy touch is two bottles of water and some snacks.

You also get a 25% point bonus, and access to the VIP awards which require less points.

BlondeBomber Jan 7, 2002 5:32 am

I disagree that you need to be diamond to see the benefits. I have been upgraded at every Hilton (Hull, London UK, Tucson, Toronto Airport) and received breakfast benefit (even when executive floor lounge was closed on weekend); multiple stays at Hull and Toronto have received that attention.

Always get my welcome gift (wine, basket of fruit).

Hampton is pretty basic in terms of what you get (cookies and water) but last time they did put me in a ginormous corner room in Ottawa.

Doubletree gave us a large can of pistachios in Tucson as well as access to the full breakfast buffet (all this on a Priceline stay).

Have gotten both the rewards I requested (London Kensington during high season and Camino Real in Puerto Vallarta during high season). All this in less than a year.

Doesn't seem to matter if it is reward stays or paid or Priceline, I have gotten gold benefits.

IM4Travel Jan 7, 2002 6:32 am

You have been very lucky. Consensus on this board and through several colleagues seems to state otherwise. Gold status is extremely dilluted these days. Glad Im Diamond...no blackout dates surely helps. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

BlondeBomber Jan 7, 2002 7:34 am

I agree that diamond has that extra special touch and will probably try for it this year. No blackouts is a definite plus.

Just wanted everyone to know that being Gold does have benefits and it is not all an illusion. I don't expect anything but what I am promised but have been surprised at the benefits and service I have received. None of the arguing over benefits that others have talked about here.

It made me come back to Hilton after a 15 year absence.

fastflyer Jan 7, 2002 2:10 pm

My 2001 experience as a Gold:

Stays: approx. 10 stays, approx. 35 nights (I stayed a total of approx. 100 nights among all chains)
Upgrades: only 2, at the Chicago Hilton and Towers, and also once at the Doubletree in Boston
Worst experience: the Fontainebleau just before New Year's -- no upgrade (city view was provided) and no access to the lounge (not even to its floor). Reason given: the Towers floor was full of people paying the "Towers" rate, and my standard rate (more than $150 per night by the way) was not enough to be admitted, regardless of status. Breakfast coupons also denied.

Conclusion: Marriott and Wyndham were my favorites this past year. Hyatt and Starwood were next. Hilton took last place.

general45 Jan 7, 2002 6:52 pm

I agree with Blonde Bomber. Hilton has always upgraded me,concierge lounge if they have one or access if not; I have always gotten free breakfast coupons for myself and my wife. Sometimes I have to ask for the benefits, but I always try to be polite when I do so. I believe this attitude helps in my success ratio.I am a very happy Gold member. Hilton has earned my business.

kenjih Jan 8, 2002 4:42 am

interesting-Hilton sent me a gold card in 1999 along with instructions for activating it, and it never worked. everytime i checked in, i would show up as silver - i didn't care enough to complain.

afang Jan 8, 2002 8:50 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kenjih:
interesting-Hilton sent me a gold card in 1999 along with instructions for activating it, and it never worked. everytime i checked in, i would show up as silver - i didn't care enough to complain.</font>

One email to Adam will resolve this issue I bet.

mspman Jan 8, 2002 11:26 am

I dunno, I made diamond last year for the first time, and I really haven't seen a difference. I checked into the Palmer House yesterday and was disappointed because I didn't get an upgrade, didn't even get a room on the exec level, and had to ask for breakfast coupons.

Actually, I was gold all last year, now diamond, and I have *never* received an upgrade from Hilton. I'm thinking about going Mariott or something.

HK-UMICH Jan 8, 2002 4:52 pm

Just been to St louis Hampton Inn Downtows Union Station.

Called advance and they know me I am gold.

I had the room on 6/F floor only and it is farest from the elevator and the bay window for the Arch.

The "touch" is one bottle of water an a bag of airline-like snack pack.

OK.. it is Hampton INN, not Hilton HOTEL.

Eugene Jan 8, 2002 5:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HK-UMICH:
Just been to St louis Hampton Inn Downtows Union Station.

Called advance and they know me I am gold.

I had the room on 6/F floor only and it is farest from the elevator and the bay window for the Arch.

The "touch" is one bottle of water an a bag of airline-like snack pack.

OK.. it is Hampton INN, not Hilton HOTEL.
</font>
HK-UMICH -- You've got all you were supposed to get at a Hampton Inn...