Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Longboat Key Beachfront Resort {US-FL} (no longer Honors)

Old Jan 18, 02, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

I am registered at the Longboat Key Hilton at the start of February for a week. Is this a reasonable location to get around Tampa quickly - and a quick day trip to Orlando?

Is there a better room/side to request?

Any information will help - my wife is coming along - this will be her first vacation in over 3 years and I want it to be a comfortable one. And we (sorry, I) have to stay in Tampa for 5 of the 7 days we are there,
Old Jan 18, 02, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Nope, the Longboat Hilton is about 60 miles south of Tampa on Longboat Key and nearest city Sarasota. In addition you will have to drive about 30 mins to get to an Expressway/Interstate, so the drive to Tampa will take upwards of 1 1/2 hrs.
Orlando is even worse you have to go north and then turn East (not West) will take a good 2 hours plus, a day trip quite doable though.
Havent been to the Longboat in well over 10 years last time there it as fairly nice.
Mike

[This message has been edited by MIKESILV (edited 01-19-2002).]
Old Jan 19, 02, 7:27 am
Original Member

Location: OMNI Award Winner, Recipient: Ol' Goal Personal Sootkase Tag Award. The Very Special Punki Authentic PiP Sootkase Tag, Pin, & T-Shirt. .........PRE-
ef yu goe north frum sarsoda, an thin turn west two goe two orlando, yu wil hav a vry loooooong trip.

------------------
Loving, Caring, Honest, Intelligent, Empathetic, Creative, and Giving.
Old Jan 19, 02, 9:01 am
Suspended

Thanks Auturo I edited my post, need to go EAST to Orlando.
Mike
Old Jan 19, 02, 10:15 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, AA ExPlat 2012 & Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
I was just at the Longboat Key Hilton a few days ago (I didn't stay there, family lives on Longboat Key and we went for drinks). It's a nice Hilton, the beach is nice at this time of year. The other posters are correct - its a long drive to TPA and longer to MCO. Go off the north end of the island via Bradenton to avoid the most-utilized drawbridges.
Old Jan 19, 02, 12:10 pm

Longboat Key is even a longer drive from anywhere on the mainland because there are no bridges going from it to the mainland except from the extreme north end. You either have to drive north to Manatee Ave or south to St. Armand's to get access to the mainland. I've gone from St. Armand's to Tampa a lot and it takes about 1 1/4 hours if the traffic is good on the bridges. Orlando is about a 2 hour drive (I have a friend who did it in 1 1/2, but that's not recommended).

Pretty much any hotel on the mainland would be better to get to these cities, but if you also want to go to the beach a lot, Longboat isn't bad. Although there are better beaches too, since Longboat's keeps getting washed away.

[This message has been edited by johnep1 (edited 01-19-2002).]

[This message has been edited by johnep1 (edited 01-19-2002).]
Old Jan 19, 02, 4:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred
I stayed at the Longboat Key property about a year ago. It may not fit your geography requirements, but it is a nice property. They do have a limited number of "suites" available. A suite is two adjoining rooms, one of which is basically a very large living room. But if you're with kids, it's great. The beach is beautiful too.

[This message has been edited by harold (edited 01-19-2002).]
Old Jan 19, 02, 6:16 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
The Hilton properties in the Tampa/St. Pete cities are not on the water.

If you are looking for Tampa area Hiltons on the beach, the only two I know of are:

Hilton Clearwater Beach
Hilton North Reddington Beach
Old Mar 29, 02, 2:08 pm

Hilton Longboat Key, FL

Hello all -
I will be staying at this property for four night in late June. Appreciate if anyone can provide feedback, tips, guidance regarding their experience at this hotel?

thanks in advance and all the best...

Old Mar 29, 02, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Hilton Longboat Key Beachfront Resort Trip Reports and Reviews

I was there for a week in February. Basic,nothing special hotel. Little old and worn. There is no paper in the morning. Their "restaurant" is basic and decent....a little like home cooking. There are 3 choices for rooms - overlooking the pool, overlooking the back parking lot and about 6 rooms on the end with large balconies looking over the water. I had one of these rooms (had to press for it). Excellent view from my 2nd floor end room(there are only 4 (maybe 5) floors). It was quiet.

Some absolutely great restaurants at St. Armands circle - about 15 minutes away. Good and closet coffee place there as well. Starbucks about 20 minutes away (just past st. armands). The Starbucks is in a mall, and there is a restaurant there that had to be near the best I was ever at, but it was by far more expensive than any restaurant I have ever been at....and I thought I had been at some expensive ones in New York.

There are great tourist spots to visit close by...mainly of the aquarium type. There is also a bird sanctuary and a horticulture garden near by....both worth an hour of ones time.

Hope this helps. Reply if you have any specific questions.
Old Apr 1, 02, 12:32 pm

Trian -
Thanks very much - great feedback.

Take Care!
Old Apr 1, 02, 1:30 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
A search will yield further info on this property.

I thought I would use the property as a cheap way to stay near Tampa once. While the stay was cheap, the commute was terrible; The Longboat Hilton is not convenient to Tampa, just FYI.
Old Apr 1, 02, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

If you have 35-40 minutes, it is a nice drive......I live landlocked so any water view for me is enjoyable. I did this drive half a dozen times over the week, and traffic was never a problem...even at 7 am on a Monday morning.
Old Apr 1, 02, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

one last touristy point - unless you really, really, really like rollercoasters do not go to Busch Gardens in Tampa. It is very expensive just to get in, and 90% of it is rollercoasters.
Old Apr 1, 02, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Huh??
All the LIVE animals, birds, gorillas etc are just decorative props for the coasters??
Go to Disney and I dare you find one real animal, Busch still cheaper.
Mike

Search this Thread
Search Engine: