Hilton Hartford {US-CT}

Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
You will be much happier at the HGI in Glastonbury. Only minutes from the downtown area and it is only a year or two old. It is a nice area with lots of good eats in the area as well.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:22 am

I also stayed at the Hampton Inn in Rocky Hill, which someone else mentioned above. It seemed to be a newer property and was quite nice.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:04 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Plat
The Hartford Hilton just reopened--front page news in the Hartford Courant. It is reported to be very nice with two good restaurants. I'll check it out next time I am downtown.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
The remodel is great news!

This was one of the worst Hilton properties in the U.S.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 7:57 am

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
Ahhh, memory lane

Originally Posted by FlyBDL
True, Hartford has been known as a Ghost town after the evening comute but things should change in the near future. The state and private developers are putting ion a lot of work to the downtown area.

The Hartford Hilton just recently opened as of March 1st, and a new 700+ room Marriot is opening at the new Connecticut convention center located on the Connecticut river. The Hartford Civic center is also being rebuilt. The arena won't change, however the mall has been demolished to make way for a 38 story luxury condo tower with retail and restaurants on the street levels.

Some places to check out for good food I will include on the bottom. Night life can be fun for the 21-30 crowd with places like the Brickyard, Burbon Street North, Bar with no name (Gets crazy!), Black eyes Sally's, Pig's Eye pub. There are also some nice lounges that are tucked away from the city streets that offer a nice atmosphere, and there is ofcourse the Hartford Club, if any of you are members of this national prominent club.

Max Downtown offers nice food and atmosphere (http://www.maxrestaurantgroup.com/downtown.html)

Coaches is also a nice place, it is Jim Calhouns restaurant. http://www.coachsonline.com

GIve Hartford a chance, it is a nice medium sized city with much potential in the near future and plenty of "hidden" places to enjoy yourself.
FlyBDL is right...you need to give it a chance. I'd also like to add the Standing Stone Irish Pub on Allen St. next to Brickyard.

Bourbon Street....me and my college roomies paid the light bills in there quite a few times.

Anyone remember the Russian Lady? Those LIT's are still the best I ever had.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:40 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, SPG, HHonors Silver
So what hotels WOULD you recommend in the area?

Thanks for this thread on the Hilton property in Hartford. I'd be curious to see more reviews/comments about it -- or any hotels in the area -- since I'll be picking out a couple of places to recommend to wedding guests. I'm planning a wedding in Springield, MA, over fourth of July weekend, and the reception will take place in South Windsor, CT (between Springfield, MA, and Hartford, CT). I will likely pick a couple of hotels* closer to South Windsor, but am open to ideas about Hartford because most of the wedding guests will be from out of town and would be flying into the Hartford airport, which is the closest. I'm not sure where/how long guests will stay, but I'm encouraging them to take advantage of all the things to do in the area (including Springfield and beyond, where there's quite a bit) or even to drive a couple of hours out to Boston for Fourth of July. In any event, keep the comments on the Hartford Hilton (or other area properties) coming! Thanks.

*I do plan to pick two very different types of hotels to recommend: a nicer, pricier one where arranging for a block of discounted rooms will be very helpful, and a very basic property (cheap enough where no discount may be necessary) for the budget travelers who'd rather spend their vacation money on other things like dining or sightseeing. Therefore I am open to all recommendations!
Old Mar 8, 2005, 2:31 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Here's the press release about the grand re-opening:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050308/85460_1.html

Press Release Source: Hilton Hotels Corporation

Hilton Hotels Corporation Announces Reopening of the Hilton Hartford, Connecticut, after $33 Million Renovation
Tuesday March 8, 6:00 am ET
Revitalized 392-room hotel brings world-class service, amenities to downtown Hartford

HARTFORD, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 8, 2005-- Hilton Hotels Corporation (NYSE:HLT - News) has announced the reopening of the Hilton Hartford following a $33 million transformation designed to turn the 392-room property into a state-of-the-art, consumer-friendly, first-class hotel that features a variety of amenities and outstanding customer service. Connecting via skywalk to the Hartford Civic Center and the new Hartford 21 retail and entertainment complex, the Hilton Hartford now serves as the ideal gathering place amid downtown Hartford's shopping, entertainment and historical sites.

"We are pleased that the Hilton Hartford now offers more elegance, sophistication and convenience than ever," said Jeff Diskin, senior vice president, brand management, Hilton Hotels Corporation. "The hotel brings world-class service and amenities to Hartford and offers the ideal downtown location for both business and leisure travelers."

The 22-story Hilton Hartford overlooks the State Capitol Building and is connected to the Hartford Civic Center, giving hotel guests access to shopping and outstanding sports, cultural and consumer show events. The hotel has 392 guestrooms, including 11 well-appointed suites. The fully-renovated guestrooms offer an array of personal amenities such as a coffee maker, iron/ironing board, dual-line telephones with private voicemail and high speed internet access. The hotel will boast four executive level floors that have upgraded amenities and a private lounge that will serve a scrumptious complimentary weekday breakfast, and hors d'oeuvres and desserts in the evening. Wireless internet access has been installed in the lobby and all public spaces.

The hotel features 15,000 square feet of meeting space, which includes a 2,200 square foot meeting room overlooking the city and perfect for intimate social gatherings, such as weddings and family events. Guests and visitors will be able to use the remodeled, living room-style lobby -- complete with fireplace -- as a comfortable central meeting place within the hotel. Other enticing features of the hotel include the Element 315 lounge and bar, a lobby coffee bar, indoor swimming pool, state-of-the-art fitness center, and Morty & Ming's, a unique full-service combination restaurant featuring a New York-style delicatessen restaurant and a traditional Chinese restaurant.

For those guests visiting the city for events or engagements at the Hartford Civic Center, the Hilton Hartford is the only city hotel to offer a skywalk to the Civic Center, providing easy access to sporting events, concerts and other special events. Additionally, the hotel is located within walking distance of downtown Hartford restaurants, shopping, the Bushnell Theatre, the Mark Twain House, and other entertainment and historical sites.

Travelers staying at this hotel have the opportunity to participate in the Hilton HHonors® guest reward program, allowing guests to earn both hotel points and airline miles for the same stay at more than 2,700 hotels worldwide.

GETTING THERE

The Hilton Hartford is destined to become one of the area's premier full-service hotels, and is located in downtown Hartford on Trumbull Street. Bradley International Airport, which is served by 19 carriers, is 20 minutes away. Guests have easy access to I-91 and I-84. Amtrak, Greyhound, Bonanza and PeterPan/Trailways serve downtown Hartford, and eight national car rental companies have offices locally. The address is 315 Trumbull Street, Hartford, Connecticut 06103. Phone: 860-728-5151. For more information or to make reservations, contact Hilton Reservations Worldwide at 1-800-445-8667 or visit www.hilton.com.

Source: Hilton Hotels Corporation
Old Mar 18, 2005, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Gator Gal
Thanks for this thread on the Hilton property in Hartford. I'd be curious to see more reviews/comments about it -- or any hotels in the area -- since I'll be picking out a couple of places to recommend to wedding guests. I'm planning a wedding in Springield, MA, over fourth of July weekend, and the reception will take place in South Windsor, CT (between Springfield, MA, and Hartford, CT). I will likely pick a couple of hotels* closer to South Windsor, but am open to ideas about Hartford because most of the wedding guests will be from out of town and would be flying into the Hartford airport, which is the closest. I'm not sure where/how long guests will stay, but I'm encouraging them to take advantage of all the things to do in the area (including Springfield and beyond, where there's quite a bit) or even to drive a couple of hours out to Boston for Fourth of July. In any event, keep the comments on the Hartford Hilton (or other area properties) coming! Thanks.

*I do plan to pick two very different types of hotels to recommend: a nicer, pricier one where arranging for a block of discounted rooms will be very helpful, and a very basic property (cheap enough where no discount may be necessary) for the budget travelers who'd rather spend their vacation money on other things like dining or sightseeing. Therefore I am open to all recommendations!
BDL is about halfway between Hartford and Springfield in Windsor Locks, CT (probably a bit closer to Hartford) right of I 91. Staying at the airport for any period of time is fairly desolate, but there are a range of properties. I sometimes stay at the Homewood Suites when I have an early flight with the family. Suites, breakfast, reception, shuttle to airport. There is a Hampton, DT and HGI nearby. Have stayed in all but HGI. Nothing to write home about, but HGI gets good reviews. There is also a HGI in springfield and a Hampton in Chicopee that I do like. Easy access to Springfield. West Springfield HI is pretty mundane, but ok. You will need a car in almost all of these places, but since the reception is in South Windsor, getting a block of rooms in Windsor locks and paying for a shuttle as part of the wedding may be a nice touch. The hotels are cheaper on weekends than weekday.

I am not sure about the relationship of South Windsor to Hartford, but the area is pretty compact. In most places you will need to drive to find restaurants. And I too am looking for comments on the HArtford Hilton. A friend has booked a room at DT BDL for a downtown Hartford conference, I would like to move her downtown and give Hartford a chance.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 8:55 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, UA PE
I stayed at the un-renovated Hilton twice (not sure why I did that more than once) and it was grim. The one redeeming quality was a nearby brew pub that was the only place around with any people in it (and good beer).

The next few times that I was in Hartford, I stayed at the Garden Inn closer to West Hartford (my destination anyway).

With a renovation, I may give it another shot.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Hartford Hilton Options

Since I grew up in the area, let me make a few suggestions...

BDL is in Windsor Locks, which is approximately halfway between Springfield and Hartford. South Windsor is on the opposite side of the Connecticut River, not really south of Windsor (which is my hometown), but west of it. I would suggest having the guests stay in the general vicinity of Windsor/Windsor Locks since they're pretty easy to get to after the reception. That way you wouldn't have to deal with too much of I-91.

Ella Grasso Turnpike is also known as CT Rt. 75. There are quite a few hotels located right along the Turnpike with easy access to the airport connector which runs to I-91. I-91 then crosses the river just a bit north of the airport connector and it would be quick to get to US 5 which runs into South Windsor.

The other option is the airport HGI which is located right next to I-91 at Exit 38. There's a fairly major crossing a few exits south into South Windsor. The only problem is that there is no other Hilton hotel located right there. The other airport hotels are located about 4 miles away. There is, however, a Courtyard right there as well.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:13 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Anybody stayed there?

Has anybody stayed at the renovated Hilton? Comments on the rooms/facilities? Upgrades (gold/diamond)?
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:20 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Has anybody stayed at the newly renovated Hartford Hilton? Comments?

Would be interested in a review or comments as to the newly renovated Hartford Hilton. Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond / Delta 360 / HHonors Diamond. FORMER: AAdvantage EXP, Loews YouFirst Platinum, A+ Elite
Originally Posted by ohmark
Would be interested in a review or comments as to the newly renovated Hartford Hilton. Thanks.
Staying there the 26th & 27th (next week), I'll report back if no one else does.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 12:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I stayed at the Hartford Hilton on 3/30.

Got in around 11pm, left around 8am.
Summary: IMO average Hilton. Everything is nice and new, other than that nothing that really stands out that I can remember as being exceptional or terrible.

Regarding my specific stay:
I requested a room upgrade on my online reservation and was placed on Executive level, w/ lounge access.

Although they did not have my requested room type available, I called about that when I got into the room. I spoke with Gladys, down at the front desk. (Wendy was the other front desk person) She checked and all of the room type that I had requested were full. She was trying to offer me some sort of comp, "Did you park with us?" No. "I see you already have use of the Exec lounge for breakfast". Yes. I suggested some HH points as compensation. She agreed and told me she would see that some would be added to my account. There has been a delay in the stay posting, so I don't know if I received any additional HH points or not. Should know in thenext couple of days.

I made use of the "Marketplace", just to the left of the check-in desk. Small vending area... snacks, soda, candy, etc which can be charged to your room.
They do have a coffee place in the lobby, it may be Starbuck's I can not recall. It was closed when I got there. I believe they also have two restaurants, I know one is in the lobby. Abe's and Chin's? It is a Jewish Chinese restaurant. It was closed when I got there and appeared to be just opening as I left. The smell was quite interesting when you walked past the restaurant entrance on your way to the elevators. I would have liked to try this place out.

Executive lounge:
There was a sign-in sheet on the desk as you walk in but no one at the desk or anywhere else in the lounge for the 15 minutes I was there. They had a HI (pre-revamp) breakfast; fruit, pastries, yogurt, cereal, coffee, juice. The regular coffee had grinds in it, so I had to drink decaf, poor me.
The lounge did have a couple sitting chairs and a big screen TV in it as well as the normal tables and chairs.

Back down to the lobby for check-out:
Near the coffee shop, immediate left from the main entrance there is a nice sitting area, with leather chairs etc. I sat here for about 2 minutes (literally) in the morning, waiting on a co-worker.

They had a police officer in the lobby when I arrived and the same police officer was there when I left. When I walked in with roller suitcase in hand, he asked me if I was checking in, I told him, "No, I am just dropping this bomb off." He did not laugh, even though I thought it was quite clever. He pointed me to the check-in desk. I guess some folks miss the 40ft check-in desk when walking in the entrance. He wished me a good day and I him when I left. Sort of curious, but at least he did not make me take my shoes off.

Again, nice new Hilton. I stayed here because I had to, mtg was close by. If I had to stay in the area again but not downtown I would probably stay at the HI near the airport.

FYI, approx $28 taxi ride from BDL to Hartford Hilton.

There was a recent (in the last month or so) thread about this property as well as a few others in the Hartford area, since search is back try searching on hartford or BDL or Windsor Locks.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:27 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by infinityplusone
They had a police officer in the lobby when I arrived and the same police officer was there when I left. When I walked in with roller suitcase in hand, he asked me if I was checking in, I told him, "No, I am just dropping this bomb off." He did not laugh, even though I thought it was quite clever.
Look at the content of many of my mileposts throughout FlyerTalk over the years, and you will find that I have quite a sense of humor, albeit somewhat (okay, incredibly) warped, infinityplusone.

However, in today’s political climate, especially with the threat of terrorism, few people unfortunately would find what you said to be clever, let alone funny. In fact, you could even get arrested for making such a statement in certain places these days. Although he could have justifiably arrested you, I am certain that the police officer in the hotel knew that you were kidding.

I am only stating this not to start a debate or throw this thread off topic, but rather to help prevent you from getting into what could be some real trouble in the future.

By the way, I stayed at this property several years ago before its renovation. It was quite a dump. For it to be merely an average Hilton is a great improvement...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.