Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2001, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

What is Hilton's policy regarding "walking".(Both for base and VIP members) Got curious after reading a similar link in the Starwood forum.
Old Jun 28, 2001, 7:51 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
What's "Walking"?

Old Jun 28, 2001, 9:52 pm

Programs: KLM Platinum, BA Gold, ex-HHonors Diamond, Starwood SPG Gold (ex-Platinum), StarChoice
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
What's "Walking"?

</font>
Similar to airline "bumping" when overbooking the hotel:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/001827.html
Old Jun 29, 2001, 12:06 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
i was 'walked' by the Hilton Mission Bay 2 yrs ago. I arrived at 1:30 am . I had garanteed the stay to my Am EX card. I had called them at 11pm to confirm that I WOULD be coming. Got there no room. They sent me ( did not provide transportation , unlike Starwood Lurkers comment) over to the Hyatt. Unfortuneatly the Hyatt was also fully booked and pu tme in a dump that used to be amotel that I think they normally used for storage - no heat or food available. It was awful!!!!!!

When I returned to the Hilton the next morning they did however put be in an oceanfront suite for the rest of my sty, send a letter of apology and fruit basket to the room and . they paid for the room at the Hyatt and did not charge me for that night.

It isnt fun - because you are tired and cranky and just want to sleep but it does happen

HTH
cscasi likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2001, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
HHonors Points Credited Anyway When You’re “Walked”?

A colleague and I were booked into the Doubletree Club Greenway Plaza in Houston this week. Guaranteed late arrival. When we rolled in at 200a (late plane) the house was full and we were "walked" to a shabby Shoney's Inn & Suites six miles further out of town.

The staff handled us very badly, but that's another story. What I'd like to know is, have you ever been in this situation and still received credit on request for HHonors points, stay/nights count, and FF miles?
Old Nov 16, 2001, 10:01 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
First, I assume you didn't pay for anything, either original or the hotel you were walked to ...

Having said that, you can try, but personally I would settle for having the stay/night credited and leave it at that. Since the hotel did not charge you anything, it's hard to justify getting the points, but the stay/night towards elite you should definitely be entitled too.

I know this will probably be a minority opinion though, and I can tell you most others will say you should get the points and miles, but I just don't see it that way (the old Golden Rule and all).
Old Nov 18, 2001, 10:31 am

Each time I have been walked, I have been
promised credit for the nights. I have
never received the credit.

-doug
Old Nov 18, 2001, 3:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I don't know what your status is with HHonors, but if I were anything above a basic (Blue) member I would be enraged. This is the type of thing that I would escalate beyond the particular property in question in a heartbeat. Also, I would probably stop staying at Hilton's if I was not satisfied with the resolution. Stay and point credit are just the starters.....a free night at that property or another in the future would be welcomed. There is simply no reason to give away an Elite member's room when guaranteed for late arrival. Doesn't Marriott offer something like $300 (in addition to paying for a room elsewhere for the night) if your reservation is not honored when you arrived
Old Nov 18, 2001, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Marriot & Starwood give you $$$$ if you are elite and you are walked.

I know that Hilton does not have that policy.

I also know from experience that Hilton does not seem to pay attention to elites when they "walk" them - just who is last to check in that night.
cscasi and JetDirect like this.
Old Nov 19, 2001, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
MileKing: I'm Gold, and I was enraged, and the staff attitude made things worse, and I got the General Manager's business card, and don't worry, I'm going to do something about it that involves quite a number of people.

On the silver-lining side, I got an unsolicited email this morning from an HHonors staffer who saw this thread and asked me to submit my HHonors info for stay/points credit.
cscasi likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2001, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Bear, I had to resurrect this topic after seeing your Powerpoint demonstration on this experience which was emailed to me. You should consider posting a link to it here so that everybody can enjoy it. What a hoot. I'm curious as to the reaction, if any, you got on it from the hotel.

[This message has been edited by ILuvParis (edited 12-28-2001).]
Old Dec 28, 2001, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA LifetimeGS, DL LifetimePM, HH Dia, Bonvoy Ambassador, IHG Plat, Avis Chairman, Hertz Plat
Bear,
Let me just say that you are a legend on the web now....I received you powerpoint presentation through a disti from one of my friends. I reviewed the thread and there has to be at least 500 people (I stopped counting at FW[16] on the trail) on it prior to my getting subsequent "circle."

It is absolutely the most outrageous thing I've seen...hints of OCD; I like it!
Old Dec 29, 2001, 7:55 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BearX220:
On the silver-lining side, I got an unsolicited email this morning from an HHonors staffer who saw this thread and asked me to submit my HHonors info for stay/points credit. </font>
If they have seen your presentation, they would be giving you A LOT more than points! That was one of the funniest things I have received in a long time.
Old Dec 29, 2001, 9:28 am

This thread has details on what happened ...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/003108.html

According to the WSJ, Hilton gave the business travelers a free night.

------------------
On the road,
In the air,
I enjoy travel
From here to there.
Old Dec 30, 2001, 11:46 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
I loved the powerpoint presentation. We got it in our offices as a fwd that had been about a trillion places.

Our office laughed, we cried, we feel your pain.

Unfortunately, Two newbies decided not to join myself and an associate with Hilton and went to Starwood after your presentation. It certainly does have an effect.

Your powerpoint presentation is legend!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.