Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Old May 3, 2005, 5:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago

It's interesting you got walked as a Gold. There must have been something very unexpected going on that night, as a Hilton hotel would never walk a Gold unless absolutely necessary.
I was going to be walked a couple of weeks ago by a Hilton chain hotel a couple of weeks ago, unless I accepted a smoking room even though had a confirmed non-smoking room...I'm a Diamond.
Old May 3, 2005, 11:14 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by bigjim
I was going to be walked a couple of weeks ago by a Hilton chain hotel a couple of weeks ago, unless I accepted a smoking room even though had a confirmed non-smoking room...I'm a Diamond.
Nice to know..... I know that many times it is a REQUEST, but with most Hilton Hotels there are different buckets for Non-Smoking and Smoking..... Sad to hear that they did not pre-assign your room... especially as a DIAMOND!!!
Old May 3, 2005, 11:39 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
The problem we've been having a lot lately are shady travel agents. They're booking VIPs who want non-smoking into the smoking bucket, and then not listing their HH numbers. So when the VIP shows up, we're in a major bind trying to find a non-smoking when a smoking reservation was made. A lot of the time we just can't do it, because the numbers don't add up, and we've already given the non-smoking away.

The other thing that happens a lot is a HH member with profile preferences that aren't their real prefs. If you say you prefer 2 doubles, for example, we may override your reservation to try to grant that, especailly if that makes our numbers add up better.

The moral of the story is, it's worth your time to take the confirmation number and call back over to the hotel in advance to make sure you can get what you want, and also to keep your profile updated and on every reservation.
Old May 4, 2005, 6:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
The problem we've been having a lot lately are shady travel agents. They're booking VIPs who want non-smoking into the smoking bucket, and then not listing their HH numbers. So when the VIP shows up, we're in a major bind trying to find a non-smoking when a smoking reservation was made. A lot of the time we just can't do it, because the numbers don't add up, and we've already given the non-smoking away.

The other thing that happens a lot is a HH member with profile preferences that aren't their real prefs. If you say you prefer 2 doubles, for example, we may override your reservation to try to grant that, especailly if that makes our numbers add up better.

The moral of the story is, it's worth your time to take the confirmation number and call back over to the hotel in advance to make sure you can get what you want, and also to keep your profile updated and on every reservation.
Unfortunately for Hilton, I had a CONFIRMED non-smoking room. They had a group of golfers that extended for an extra day - BUT, I think that I was the one that got the short end of the club....
Old May 5, 2005, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Holiday Inn Platinum, peon on the rest
After doing some checking, I guess the answer is "no payee, no pointee".

Bummer.
Old May 5, 2005, 8:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
One thing I do that seems to help in at least some instances is to take the time to add my comments in the notes section of the booking. E.g. "HHonors Diamond VIP #123456. Pls. hold for poss. late arvl. Pref..." etc. Tends to reinforce the information... and I'm just trying to do my job as a customer by making it easier for them to do their job.
Old May 6, 2005, 12:52 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JDiver
One thing I do that seems to help in at least some instances is to take the time to add my comments in the notes section of the booking. E.g. "HHonors Diamond VIP #123456. Pls. hold for poss. late arvl. Pref..." etc. Tends to reinforce the information... and I'm just trying to do my job as a customer by making it easier for them to do their job.
You know, actually, that's a REALLY good idea. And when you put it that way, all polite, it doesn't make us resent you for your status. ^

(You would not believe what I went thru tonight to not walk a Diamond... Let's just say... team effort leads to positive results for everyone. )
Old May 7, 2005, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Holiday Inn Platinum, peon on the rest
Angry And they charged me for a room they wouldn't give me!

To add insult to injury, the hotel that "walked me" charged my credit card for the toom that they wouldn't give me!

Old Jul 6, 2005, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Question Help! Employee of mine getting walked to another Hotel right now!!

What can I do? Quebec City Hilton
Old Jul 6, 2005, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
for starters, I'd tell him to call me so I knew where he was

Originally Posted by BDLORD
What can I do? Quebec City Hilton
Old Jul 6, 2005, 7:02 pm
In Memoriam

What does she look like?
Old Jul 6, 2005, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA million miler
do you or the employee have experience being walked?

you should expect, at a minimum, tonites room, free

transportation to and from the new hotel (assuming the employee is coming back to the QCH for tomorrow nite)

an upgrade when he/she checks in tomorrow- or at the least lounge access if one exists

then you turn on your charm and your negotiating skills-

how about-"this really screws up my meeting schedules for tomorrow, can i get coupons for 2 free nights systemwide?"
(i got this in MPLS- they originally only offered one but i insisted on 2)

dinner? breakfast? cocktails?

be nice, but ask- be proactive not reactive

but just resign yourself to not staying at the QCH tonite!
Old Jul 6, 2005, 7:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Why don't you just split the room with your employee ?
Old Jul 6, 2005, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by edgewood
do you or the employee have experience being walked?

you should expect, at a minimum, tonites room, free

transportation to and from the new hotel (assuming the employee is coming back to the QCH for tomorrow nite)

an upgrade when he/she checks in tomorrow- or at the least lounge access if one exists

then you turn on your charm and your negotiating skills-

how about-"this really screws up my meeting schedules for tomorrow, can i get coupons for 2 free nights systemwide?"
(i got this in MPLS- they originally only offered one but i insisted on 2)

dinner? breakfast? cocktails?

be nice, but ask- be proactive not reactive

but just resign yourself to not staying at the QCH tonite!
Thanks! I went down to CI armed with your ideas. I told them I was Gold (here in Canada for some reason it's a big deal) and told them the whole purpose of this trip he needed to be in the same hotel.
They then found a room on the club floor and ponyed up some Breakfeast coupon.
Thanks FT'ers!
Old Jul 6, 2005, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by izzik
Why don't you just split the room with your employee ?
small room, king bed no room for a rollaway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.