Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort {MEX}

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jumpdogjump
Standard room availability shows up when you try to book 6 nights.

Need to add following

Gold benefits- Cont'l Breakfast for Elite member and 1 other in same room, buy up to full breakfast for 220 pesos/pp

Diamond benefits- Cont'l Breakfast for Elite member and 1 other in same room, buy up to full breakfast for 220 pesos/pp.
Print Wikipost

Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort {MEX}

Old Oct 4, 2002, 10:09 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
I've seen some threads where some were staying there in September. Has anyone been to this hotel??? I am booked there for next April and as Diamond am wondering what is in store. Thanks for your replies.
Old Oct 5, 2002, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Trip Report - Los Cabos

Where to begin? There are simply not enough superlatives to describe this wonderful property. Mrs. Frugal and I just returned from our first trip to Mexico. We spent three (3) wonderful days [9-27 to 9-30] at the Los Cabos Hilton. We flew on a reduced AAdvantage award from the Bay Area [20K per round-trip] and used 55,000 HHonors points [SC4] for two (2) of the days. The final day was paid for at a reasonable $135.00. We are lowly Golds, but were treated like Diamonds. Breakfast certs for each morning as well as an upgrade to a suite....without even having to ASK!! By the way, this was no ordinary continental breakfast. Meats, cheeses, nuts, salsa, jalapenos, yogurt, all manner of fresh juices...it just goes on and on! Although there is no VIP room or reception, we were treated to daily ammenitity snacks. The property is situated between Cabo San Lucas and the airport in San Jose del Cabo. Over three hundred (300) rooms, but I'd be surprised if there were one hundred (100) people in attendance. Our room was on the third floor which made it conveniently located to the outstanding spa and gym. I went everyday for the jacuzzi and steam room. Our balcony was within spitting distance of the Sea of Cortez whose waters were in the mid 70's.

The property contains hundreds of yards of this fabulous beach. The property also has the most gorgeous pools that I have yet to encounter. Outdoor jacuzzi temperature could have been warmer, but why split hairs? Back to our upgraded room. It had two (2) TVs, three (3) phones, king bed, HUGE walk-in shower and, what appeared to be, marble floors. We found attendant prices to be somewhat high. Although we did not venture into Cabo Wabbo land, we did go into the town of San Jose del Cabo quite frequently. There are some decent dinner deals to be had and you can purchase beer, water, smokes [if so inclined] and other goods from local merchants. The Hilton staff was wonderful. All, save the cooks, were bilingual. Many had impressive backgrounds. We met Olympia in the Business Center. She is a lawyer. The downside of the Center is that it will charge you a fee to access the Internet. Geez, Garden Inns provide this service for free. I did mention this concern to the General Manager, but, again, why split hairs?
It was one (1) of the few criticisms that I could put forth.

Warning! The biggest rip off we experienced was with respect to our rental car and petrol. Cars are fairly pricey, that is, if you desire AC and an automatic. The gas is simply off the hook expensive. We filled up prior to leaving and were hit with a huge bill [over $20 US] for less than half (1/2) of a tank. I complained to the attendant in my non-existant Spanish and did manage to recover some of what I was originally charged. Nevertheless, this is a cost prohibative item.

Before we left, I insisted on meeting with the General Manager, Senor Tortosa. I felt that it was important to relay my thanks and appreciation to him in person.

In summation, at 1,248 miles from the Bay Area, this resort is closer than both Hawaii and San Juan. Without any hesitation, this is a property to which we will return.

Happy Trails!

[This message has been edited by afrugal1 (edited 10-05-2002).]

[This message has been edited by afrugal1 (edited 10-05-2002).]
Old Oct 5, 2002, 3:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Muchas Gracia, Seńor Frugal, for your trip report. I'm glad to hear about this property; been considering a trip their myself.

Regarding your two "complaints":
Internet access and gasoline are two commodities that everyone pays a premium for in Mexico. I doubt they were gouging you, they're just passing on some of the significantly higher costs. Meanwhile, labor costs are dirt cheap, so they can afford to pay someone to someone to stand by your side and hand you a new towel every 20 minutes. While stateside, labor costs are likely to be on of the biggest expenses for an HGI, while internet access costs are just a drop in the bucket.

And as for gas, everyone pays the same price for gas from state controlled PEMEX, the only oil company. Though Mexican gas jockeys have been known to gouge tourists by "starting" the pumping without resetting the pump to zero. You may have caught someone doing this, but I doubt it -- US$20 for a half a tank sounds about right.

Old Oct 5, 2002, 7:05 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
I very much appreciate the review. We are set to go next April and you are the first I know that has gone there.

A couple of questions if you don't mind:
Did you rent the car at the resort or the airport? Is that the least expensive (or more convenient) way to go, or would taxis be a better choice?
Do you have any information on the golf, scuba diving, fishing, dune buggy's or any other activities/sightseeing?
How expensive were the meals on property?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2002, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Thanks for the synopsis. Our family will be spending some time there this winter.
Old Oct 6, 2002, 5:18 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dudemon:
So far most of the posts in all of this are asking for reviews. If anyone has any review or info please share it with us!</font>
You (or the search engine) missed the one thread that has what you're seeking. Thanks for the footwork, though, and here's your
Trip Report - Los Cabos

[This message has been edited by Rut Dog (edited 10-06-2002).]
Old Oct 6, 2002, 5:25 pm

Howdy, Humaniod, and welcome aboard! Mrs. Frugal and I picked up our Avis rental about two (2) miles off of the airport. I believe that Budget and National are right there as you exit the terminal. Definitely something to consider. I don't know about taxis and such as we simply used our car. It came out to about $50 US per day, but we felt it was worth it given the high degree of flexibility. The only meals we ate at the Hilton were the three (3) free breakfasts. We checked out the menus of their two (2) places and they were quite a bit higher than comparable fare in the town of San Jose del Cabo. There is a nice two for one cocktail hour [6-7 PM] in the Lobby Bar. Ten pesos gets you two (2) nice drinks. Not much else for us to offer in terms of activities. We had the grandest time just hanging at the property and making a few visits to town. Good luck!

Happy Trails!
Old Oct 7, 2002, 12:25 am

Thank you!! I've been waiting for a review since it opened. We'll go, based on your glowing desciption.
Old Oct 7, 2002, 7:06 am

Thanks for the trip report. I am going to cabo in march. I am glad to hear that you liked the hotel.
Old Oct 7, 2002, 2:47 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by afrugal1:
We are lowly Golds, but were treated like Diamonds. Breakfast certs for each morning as well as an upgrade to a suite....without even having to ASK!! By the way, this was no ordinary continental breakfast. Meats, cheeses, nuts, salsa, jalapenos, yogurt, all manner of fresh juices...it just goes on and on! Although there is no VIP room or reception, we were treated to daily ammenitity snacks. </font>
Ahhhhh yes, the treatment of Hilton Gold status by non-US properties, just wonderful!!!! great to hear, so different from US properties.

I'm surprised no mention of the hawkers gauntlet at the airport.

Is the Hilton closer to Cabo san Lucas than the Westin?
Old Oct 7, 2002, 6:12 pm

Hey, Willie! No hassles at the airport. The only "hawker" Mrs. Frugal and I encountered was a hat salesman on our beach. In fact, he was a rather lonely salesman given the low population at our base of operations. I believe the Westin is actually a bit closer to San Jose del Cabo than the Hilton, but not by much. They are both basically between the two (2) cities.

Very glad that people enjoyed the trip report. It was my pleasure to be able to provide it.

Happy Trails!
Old Oct 7, 2002, 7:16 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by afrugal1:
We flew on a reduced AAdvantage award from the Bay Area [20K per round-trip] </font>

Got me excited! Was this reduced Award a one-time promo?
Old Oct 7, 2002, 7:38 pm

Mr. Frugal, thanks for the post. I can't wait to bask in the Mexican sun.
Old Oct 8, 2002, 7:13 am

Howdy, crankyusi! Reduced awards on AA are issued quarterly by Citibank. Always different opportunities. The list is sent out in one's credit card bill statement.

Cheers!
Old Oct 8, 2002, 7:17 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Gold; Starwood Gold; UAL Premier; Delta Silver
We'll be leaving for Cabo on November 26th. We're looking forward to the same wonderful experience.

We'll be sure to post a report upon our return December 3.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.