Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Santa Barbara Beachfront Resort {US-CA} (formerly Fess Parker)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Santa Barbara Beachfront Resort {US-CA} (formerly Fess Parker)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2005, 12:43 am

Programs: CO Gold
I was also at this location on August 8. It was not fully booked because my friend made a walk-up reservation on that day.

But I have to agree its a good location and worth staying at. Its right across the street from the beach and within walking distance from State Street. Since I was there for one night, I didn't get to expeierence any of the hotels features, but in general everything went very well there.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 12:05 am

Programs: HHSilver;SWACompanion;AA;CO
Fess Parkers Doubletree Resort Santa Barbara Trip Reports and Reviews

We just returned from a 6 night stay on a GLONP2 reward. My DH was attending a professional meeting and we were delighted that it would be held at a Hilton property that would allow us to make good use of points.

The resort is a sprawling property that is just across Cabrillo Blvd. from the beachfront. I can honestly say that I have never stayed at a property with such pleasant staff. To a person, everyone was wonderful.

At check-in, we were given our warm cookies and breakfast certificates good at the Los Arcos cafe. Breakfast was off the menu Mon.-Fri. and included a sumptuous buffet on Sat. & Sun. The hours ran from 6am to 11:30am (12pm on weekend). We indulged ourselves with the eggs California--poached eggs over crabcakes & avocado with hollandaise--and we'll never enjoy regular eggs Benedict again! We were'nt limited in any way when it came to ordering. The vouchers included entree, juice, coffee/tea--and perhaps additional items that we just didn't happen to order. Had we paid for these breakfasts, they would have easily added up to no less than $18/person. The cafe staff is wonderful, too, even holding off placing an order until 11:29 am for a late arriving diner so that the food would be fresh and warm when served.

The hotel itself is undergoing some renovations in a variety of areas, but the updating didn't create any hardships that I could see. The most unexptected "problem" was the train whistle that takes some getting used to on a daily basis--by night 3, we were used to it.

We stayed in the Bougainvillea building and our room was large, with updated bedding (very comfortable) and amazingly quiet heating & cooling. We purchased wireless internet for the duration of the stay ($9.95/day) and we had some problems with the connections holding. I mentioned this at checkout and the charge was removed without my asking. The desk clerk said that they'd been having problems with internet connections in that building and have made multiple attempts to diagnose and fix it.

Another highlight of our trip include wonderful banquet and concierge service.

Some travel tips for this area are: If you fly into Burbank (Bob Hope Airport), you can cross the street and take a beautiful 2+ hour train trip (Amtrak) up to Santa Barbara and you'll never need a car once you get there. One there, you can ride an electric trolley for .25 from the zoo to the beach to the shopping district on State Street. There is also a great city bus system that will take you out to Carpenteria or the Mission and if you want to go to Solvang, you can get back on Amtrak. For whale watching, you can't beat Condor Express--they have Park Service naturalists on board and if you don't see any whales, they'll give you a whale check for an in-season return trip for free. If wine tasting and vineyards are on your agenda, you can find many options for tours to places less than an hour away. Seafood is great at Enterprise Fish and don't miss the Courthouse and the art museum. On good weather Sundays, local artists and craftspeople set up along the Cabrillo Blvd. in the park and sell their wares. You can buy anything from exotic wood yo-yos to beautiful oil paintings.

This "Riviera of America" is a super place to spend a very relaxing, hectic-free visit and the Fess Parker Doubletree is a wonderful place to stay while you're there.

Rae
Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:46 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Great report, swaluvr. I've been wondering about this property recently for a southern California stay, and it sounds like that might fit the bill perfectly. Glad you had a great time!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 7:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
There was an excellent steak place in the hotel, just off the lobby. Now, this was several years ago, but it remains in my top three steaks joints across the continent!
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:53 pm

Programs: HHSilver;SWACompanion;AA;CO
Yes, DL, "Rodney's Steakhouse" is still there.
We tried to eat there but it was closed on Sun. & Mon.--the only evenings without pre-made plans.
Our banquet dinners at the resort had beef components and I can tell you that it was great, tender, tasty stuff. Rodney's lists several Kobe beef entrees. We plan to try it as soon as we can return.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
I had one of my worst ever Hilton experiences in this hotel. Their customer service is some of the worst I have ever experienced. I arrived from the East Coast at 1130pm, and when I checked in I asked if I could have non-feather pillows in my room. (There was a request for the non-feather pillows in my reservation). It took well over an hour and at least half a dozen calls to the front desk to get the pillows. By my body clock it was 4am before I could go to sleep.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:29 pm

Programs: a little here, a little there
Glad to see you enjoyed this hotel... it's been years since we were there last, but we would not hesitate to book it again. I really miss Longboard's on the wharf (and the winetasting out there) and Fish Market (restaurant).
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:43 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Fess Parker Doubletree building recommendation?

I know from previous searches that this property (like others in Santa Barbara) is famous for its mid-night train, but I also understand that some buildings' rooms are more dated than others. However, I can't find any recommendations on which building to request. Any ideas?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 4:36 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
No train heard here....

Originally Posted by davesfolhr
I know from previous searches that this property (like others in Santa Barbara) is famous for its mid-night train, but I also understand that some buildings' rooms are more dated than others. However, I can't find any recommendations on which building to request. Any ideas?
We never heard a train once while we were there! Our balcony faced the water...of course, there was a street in between. Great for people watching. We had a blast.

I heard their exercise room is supposed to be state of the art now. Major renovation and looks down over the lobby....not sure, but that is how it was described to us.

They have the best breakfast too. They gave us the full breakfast every day or anything off the menu...and the best thing, it was until 11:30!

Enjoy!

Dawn
Old Aug 7, 2006, 1:15 am

Just stayed there for 2 nights.

Was very impressed with the property and it's upkeep. Pretty much ends there.

Checked in at 11:20pm - got the breakfast coupons for both mornings for the 3 of us in the room. Good for anything in Cafe Los Arcos. Did not get the "warm cookies."

As I checked in I asked for a roll away bed. Clerk said "no problem" called down 30 minutes later "it's on the way" called down 1 hour later "it's on the way" never did show up.

The train...... OMG.... Not a pleasant wake up call. We were spitting distance to the railway (didn't see it the night before and wasn't warned of it at check in) but at 6am there was a steady stream of trains who sounded their horns at the 2 railway crossings.

Finally, to top things off we went for a late lunch to Cafe Los Arcos. The cafe was open, there were about 12 tables occupied and the rest were empty. We were told the wait would be 30 - 45 minutes! Pointing to 2 open tables right as you walk in we were told "Sorry, that section is closed." Stupid if you ask me. We were sent to the bar to eat.

Got to the bar and it's slammed..... 1 waitress, 1 bartender and every table occupied (a wedding was going on) We did get a table and the waitress was wonderful given the pressure she was under. She got drinks and food to us as quickly as possible......

So, for $425 a night, I don't expect a train wake up call and I don't expect rude service from the restaurant staff.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:40 am

Kudos to Fess Parker Doubletree

My wife and I have just begun day three of our weeklong stay (using an HHonors award) at the Fess Parker Doubletree in Santa Barbara. Upon checkin, the front desk said "Mr. davesfolhr, you must travel a *lot*!" and thanked me for being a Gold member, even though she certainly must have known that my travel pales in comparison to Platinum members. She then gave me coupons for a complimentary breakfast on each day of our stay - since we'll probably only eat breakfast at the hotel three times, that's free brunch for both of us.

I asked for a room on the beach side of the hotel since I had read on FT that the other side was subject to loud trains during the night. They couldn't accomodate for the first night, but arranged at check-in for us to move to an upgraded room on the beach side yesterday morning, and a bellman moved everything into our new room by noon.

On top of that, the concierge is very helpful and everyone is very friendly. A great way for us to start our trip.

If I had to paint any negatives, they would be that the spa is being renovated so it's currently part of the fitness room, and the "business center" where I'm typing this consists of two open cubicles in a sometimes noisy lobby. But since I'm on vacation, I couldn't care less

Kudos to this Doubletree!
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Are the rooms newly renovated?
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Are the rooms newly renovated?
I can't speak for the other buildings, but the main building is. When we checked in, there was a notice that interior room renovations were complete but that there will still be some painting, etc. going on. It's been relatively unobtrusive.

We saw some painters while playing tennis. BTW, court rentals are free. They're $35/hour at the next property we're staying at
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Thanks for the review. Just FYI, you should have received enough breakfast coupons for both of you to have breakfast every day. It sounds like they gave you only one coupon per night instead of two. Did you ask about this or did it not matter to you (since you weren't going to be there every day for breakfast anyway)?
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Question

didn't that hotel used to be a Red Lion?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.