Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Santa Barbara Beachfront Resort {US-CA} (formerly Fess Parker)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Santa Barbara Beachfront Resort {US-CA} (formerly Fess Parker)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've stayed there and I agree with the previous poster. It was a nice place! A car is not necessary if you like walking, but it is helpful. We were there for 2.5 days w/o a car and did fine.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:10 pm

I copied this off of my previous post re the SB area in a M thread.

Location to the Sideways Trail is key, although the Fess P in SB is a much better bet. That "resort" is across the street from the beach, is just blocks from fun State St. and is about 40 minutes from Solvang and the heart of wine country. There is a tourist center just off of State that can give you a free map that lists all of the wineries in the region. Also, there is a country road just N of SB that winds through the hills and brings you in the back door to Solvang. I might add that the Rancho Sisquoc Winery 15 minutes N is very pretty and a stop I always make when just driving through.

In addition, my gf picked up a Sideways map off the web (address unknown-you might Google it), and all of the film's locations are listed.

Newer note now...that Rancho Sisquoc Winery is so unique and the wine is not available in many CA stores. I really recommend it...continue then down the road to Santa Maria and you'll hit 101 for the direct shot S to SB.
If yer into wines, then I think a car will be a necessity.
There's another spot I love-a local spot that is popular-on the other side of the marina called Brophy Bros. It is a dive above the warf and you can eat and watch the fleet come in. Yummy.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 2:07 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by swaluvr
I will be using a GLONP2 certificate for a stay at the Fess Parker Doubletree in Santa Barbara. We'll be using my hubby's Gold VIP status at check-in.

I was just wondering if anyone who has been to this resort can tell me something about it. Should we rent a car, or can we get around pretty well without one? Can we, or should we, expect any upgrades with the Gold VIP status? Will we get breakfast certificate, etc.?

Thanks!
I live here in SB. Although the property looked good from the outside, some rooms are old and has seen its time on the inside(took a look inside a room near the main lobby once when I attended a party there). Perhaps other rooms are better.

I must agree that the location is superb. It is only few steps away from the beach. State street, the main drag, is about 10 minute walk away. In addition, there is Downtown-Waterfront Shuttles with many stops along Cabrillo Blvd(yes, it will also take you to the harbor where Brophy Brother's is located. Great seafood and view of the harbor!), where Doubletree is located. A second shuttle runs up and down State street. I believe one-way fare is only $0.25! ^ Oh, and don't forget to ask for the transfer from the Waterfront to the State street line, it is free.

Feel free to PM me with additional questions about SB and I would be more than happy to answer them for you.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 3:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I haven't stayed there, but I recall past threads in which people have complained about the place not being compliant with the HHonors program. Of course things may have changed. Since Search isn't an option right now you might want to give the hotel a call and ask the front desk what benefits a Hilton Gold receives there these days.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 6:16 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I stayed at the Fess Parker DT a couple years ago and was treated well as a HHonors Gold VIP on an award stay. Upgraded to a great bungalow room near the tennis court and was given coupons for the restaurant each morning.

At least when I went, they catered to pets and many guests brought theirs along.

Nice place...we really want to go back.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 10, 2005, 2:02 pm
Suspended

I thought I read somewhere that it has gone thru or about to go thru a rooms renovation. That could only help, if accurate.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:25 am

Programs: HHSilver;SWACompanion;AA;CO
Just a quick thanks to all who replied.

I believe that they have done a major renovation recently.

Sounds like we really won't need a car to see the immediate area. This is a conference and they will schedule bus tours--I'm sure at least one will go out to wine country (nice that we won't have to be designated drivers on that one!).

As an aside, I noticed in another thread a comment about GLON awards. I tried to book this online and the summary quoted 240,000 for 6 nights vs. the 175,000 GLONP2 I booked using the phone service. Boy, I'm glad I called--that's a significant savings of points! I have no idea if they would have charged me the full 240K, but I didn't want to risk finding out the hard way.

Since we'll be staying for 6 nights, I plan to call a few days ahead and "clarify" any upgrades. I'd like to have a decent room if I'm going to stay that long somewhere.

This stay is 11 months away, so I'll try to remember to make a trip report next year this time.

Thanks again! FTers are the best!
Old Mar 27, 2005, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Fess Parkers Doubltree Question

Anyone ever stay here? Is there an Executive Lounge? Can you walk and shop in town? What do you think?
Old Mar 27, 2005, 7:36 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Hey MIKEM,

I probably stayed 10x per year the last two years. No lounge, but the Diamond coupons generally pay for the entire breakfast. The steakhouse on site is really good, but not cheap, as for a discount coupon when checking in.

It’s across the beach, but a goodly walk to the pier and to restaurants. Into town is twice as far as the pier: walkable, but almost two miles. State Street, the main shopping drag...with a lot of cool and trendy shops and eateries...deadends into the pier. There may be a trolley into town from the pier, I don’t recall. Also, if you walk out to the left you go past the zoo and a small lake, or marsh. Go past the marsh and turn left and there is a very good place to eat...name escapes me...about a mile and a quarter each way.

Generally I’ve been upgraded to an ocean view, and if you ask they will likely accommodate.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 1:52 pm

We stayed there for a long weekend last fall. It is a pretty nice property. I am a gold, we were there on a reward stay. We did not get an upgrade as far as I know, but the room was nice enough. It had a courtyard yiew. I has happy to receive a breakfast coupons that covered almost everything.
Old May 6, 2005, 11:05 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Fess Park in July...any new info???

Ouch....just read the last four reviews for the DoubleTree Fess Parker in Santa Barbara. They were a-w-f-u-l. Any one of them would make me want to reconsider, but four in a row...and pretty recent? Ouch.

I was planning on using my 3 awards (5/10/15) because it is a nice 5-6 hour drive, so four days is doable. This resort goes for $300-$350, so I thought it was a pretty good deal (to use the certs).

Anyway, now I'm getting scared.

Can anyone tell me about any recent stays?

Yikes!

Dawn
Old May 6, 2005, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
You might also check places like www.tripadvisor.com.

I would never rely on just one source of info for hotel reviews.

Also, I find that FlyerTalkers tend to trash and bash hotels unfairly. If people have a good (or at least OK) experience with a hotel, they usually don't bother to post anything. If they are upset, however, or are just the whiny type (of which there are a lot on FlyerTalk), they make sure to vent on FT and wherever else they can.

I am always amazed at how different my perception is from others of a given hotel, even of the same ROOM at a hotel. @:-)
Old May 7, 2005, 9:46 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Oops....

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
You might also check places like www.tripadvisor.com.

I would never rely on just one source of info for hotel reviews.

Also, I find that FlyerTalkers tend to trash and bash hotels unfairly. If people have a good (or at least OK) experience with a hotel, they usually don't bother to post anything. If they are upset, however, or are just the whiny type (of which there are a lot on FlyerTalk), they make sure to vent on FT and wherever else they can.

I am always amazed at how different my perception is from others of a given hotel, even of the same ROOM at a hotel. @:-)

I forgot to mention, that is where I got my last four review, on TRIPADVISOR!!! I thought I mentioned that and reread my post and realized I didn't. I ALWAYS check tripadvisor because they come from such varied perspectives.

Anyway, am really looked for some Diamond/Gold experiences, recent if any. Do they give you breakfast? Are the rooms THAT bad? Do they really stink of dog?

Any info would be appreciated.

Dawn
Old Jun 30, 2005, 2:52 pm

Programs: United Premier Exec, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star
Question Pets up to 200# @ Fess Parker Santa Barbara?

I've never traveled with our dog and noticed that this property (Category 6) allowed pets up to 200 pounds!

Anyone have experience with this? Is it only certain rooms? If so: Does it limit Diamond upgrades? How do they deal with barking? Are they good rooms?

Is this a nice property to spend a weekend?

Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2005, 6:18 pm

Programs: hh diamond;co silver;
We have stayed there for a week in the spring. I did not see any dogs, although it is conveniently located across from the beach, and a long walk or boardwalk the length of the beach for walking!

We are gold and received breakfast vouchers (great breakfast in the restaurant) and an upgraded room to ocean view. There are a few ocean front, but ours was very close, but on the side. We had a beautiful balcony. Overall, a convenient hotel in a beautiful area. Make sure you go to the 4 Seasons on the patio, for dinner. If you go on, I think it is Tuesday night, it is a very reasonably priced buffet. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.