Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Palm Springs {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: HH Gold, FB, Hertz Gold+, Omni Platinum
Parking & wlan fees for Gold members as well?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I just returned from a three-night stay here, having had a somewhat more positive experience than diver858, though as I'll explain in a bit, I did decide to ask to speak to a manager at one point.

Arrived rather late, so appreciated the quick check-in process (though thought it odd that the clerk was insistent I initial the room rate on a pre-paid stay); when asked if I had a car, replying no got me a response of "well then, we'll waive your resort fee" (I hadn't been aware they had a resort fee). Was handed two bottles of water, and three continental breakfast coupons. Was informed I'd been upgraded from a regular King to a King Jr Suite, which was quite nice. At the end of the "entrance hall" and to the right, there was a vanity table with coffee maker, next to the bathroom (deep tub was a plus). Straight ahead was the living room area with a sectional couch and retro-funky electric blue "armchair" arranged around a modest coffee table in front of the large screen TV. King bed to the left, with workdesk between the living room and lanai overlooking the far end of the pool area. I found the room quiet, although I was there off-season.

About breakfast ... as it turned out being given Full Buffet access didn't really matter, because they don't have a buffet weekdays off-season. The description of their continental breakfast sounded so bleak (similar to the Checkers "enhancement" in L. A.) that I opted for the American breakfast for $5 more, including tax and tip: two scrambled eggs, fruit, potatoes, toast, and coffee (I can't recall if I had juice). Service was quite lackluster, and I got the impression that the staff weren't thrilled with single diners, or really with their jobs.

Next day, I decided to try an omlette, with starts at $9.50 for just the eggs, and you shell out 65 cents each for anything else (no choice of cheese offered). So, I "splurged" for four items: cheese, crab, shrimp and avocado. Arrived with fruit and potatoes, no toast, and smelled rather ... strong. Service was about the same.

So, I went to the front desk (you can all cringe now if you want), saying in a firm but not hostile tone: "I'm a Diamond guest, and would like to speak with the Food manager" after the waiter told me there was no supervisor, just the two of them who seemed overworked at splitting seven tables.

A couple of minutes later, Mike came down to meet with me, explaining it was his first week on the job. I explained that the staff seemed impatient when I didn't order right away, never smiled or acted at all friendly, put down the food and walked away, never asking if I needed anything else, etc. He replied that I was fully justified in bringing that to his attention, and we had a very nice chat, in which I delicately brought up suggesting to the general manager the Diamond breakfast be expanded (the second day I got socked $4 for coffee on top of the omlette itself). He offered to send up some wine, which I declined. However, just as I was going out for lunch, a fruit basket arrived.

I went for a swim the second day -- put some Murine in your Kippie Bags, folks! My eyes were really irritated. I didn't have a drink, but a woman was going around taking orders.

Nowhere on their website did I see any mention at all of local transportation provided. However, when I asked a staff member (security?) for directions to the nearest Chase branch (not all that far), she told me that I should ask the doorman for a ride (I didn't). The woman did clarify that they certainly do pick up and deliver guests to the airport, so I had them drive me after checking out. The non-food staff were all quite friendly, just what I'd expect from a proper Hilton. There is a turndown service, of a sort, which seems geared towards swapping out used towels for pool patrons; at least when I declined that service, I wasn't offered any candies.

I skipped breakfast the third day, having some of the fruit basket and a pastry I'd bought at the bakery across the street with in-room coffee.

I'd love to return sometime, although their rates seem quite high through May (Mike said they consider Thanksgiving - Memorial Day as "in season").
Old Nov 8, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I just returned from a three-night stay here, having had a somewhat more positive experience than diver858, though as I'll explain in a bit, I did decide to ask to speak to a manager at one point.

Arrived rather late, so appreciated the quick check-in process (though thought it odd that the clerk was insistent I initial the room rate on a pre-paid stay); when asked if I had a car, replying no got me a response of "well then, we'll waive your resort fee" (I hadn't been aware they had a resort fee). Was handed two bottles of water, and three continental breakfast coupons. Was informed I'd been upgraded from a regular King to a King Jr Suite, which was quite nice. At the end of the "entrance hall" and to the right, there was a vanity table with coffee maker, next to the bathroom (deep tub was a plus). Straight ahead was the living room area with a sectional couch and retro-funky electric blue "armchair" arranged around a modest coffee table in front of the large screen TV. King bed to the left, with workdesk between the living room and lanai overlooking the far end of the pool area. I found the room quiet, although I was there off-season.

About breakfast ... as it turned out being given Full Buffet access didn't really matter, because they don't have a buffet weekdays off-season. The description of their continental breakfast sounded so bleak (similar to the Checkers "enhancement" in L. A.) that I opted for the American breakfast for $5 more, including tax and tip: two scrambled eggs, fruit, potatoes, toast, and coffee (I can't recall if I had juice). Service was quite lackluster, and I got the impression that the staff weren't thrilled with single diners, or really with their jobs.

Next day, I decided to try an omlette, with starts at $9.50 for just the eggs, and you shell out 65 cents each for anything else (no choice of cheese offered). So, I "splurged" for four items: cheese, crab, shrimp and avocado. Arrived with fruit and potatoes, no toast, and smelled rather ... strong. Service was about the same.

So, I went to the front desk (you can all cringe now if you want), saying in a firm but not hostile tone: "I'm a Diamond guest, and would like to speak with the Food manager" after the waiter told me there was no supervisor, just the two of them who seemed overworked at splitting seven tables.

A couple of minutes later, Mike came down to meet with me, explaining it was his first week on the job. I explained that the staff seemed impatient when I didn't order right away, never smiled or acted at all friendly, put down the food and walked away, never asking if I needed anything else, etc. He replied that I was fully justified in bringing that to his attention, and we had a very nice chat, in which I delicately brought up suggesting to the general manager the Diamond breakfast be expanded (the second day I got socked $4 for coffee on top of the omlette itself). He offered to send up some wine, which I declined. However, just as I was going out for lunch, a fruit basket arrived.

I went for a swim the second day -- put some Murine in your Kippie Bags, folks! My eyes were really irritated. I didn't have a drink, but a woman was going around taking orders.

Nowhere on their website did I see any mention at all of local transportation provided. However, when I asked a staff member (security?) for directions to the nearest Chase branch (not all that far), she told me that I should ask the doorman for a ride (I didn't). The woman did clarify that they certainly do pick up and deliver guests to the airport, so I had them drive me after checking out. The non-food staff were all quite friendly, just what I'd expect from a proper Hilton. There is a turndown service, of a sort, which seems geared towards swapping out used towels for pool patrons; at least when I declined that service, I wasn't offered any candies.

I skipped breakfast the third day, having some of the fruit basket and a pastry I'd bought at the bakery across the street with in-room coffee.

I'd love to return sometime, although their rates seem quite high through May (Mike said they consider Thanksgiving - Memorial Day as "in season").
I need to be in PS area next March; tennis tournament in Indian Wells. A bit late trying to reserve; Diamond last room benefit is $460 per night. Every Hilton property nearby is sold out, so I'm going to stay in Temecula (60 mi. S/W) for an MVP rate of $135. ^

Reading your review as well as TA reviews makes me glad I'm staying in Temecula, which, by the way, has a fun/funky Old Town.

Thanks for the review.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I paid $108/night, and would go as high as $159 perhaps. They're asking $225 for rooms during the last week of April - no way. Nor is the place worth 50K/night unless one is swimming in points. March I'd think the hotel would be rather loud as well, especially on a weekend!
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
And people wonder why elites are often mocked by hotel staff. Did your giraffe accompany you on this trip?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You weren't there, so didn't see my tone. Moreover, the food manager said he wanted to hear my story; I'm pretty good at sussing out fake sincerity. Moreover, it came out that he had been hired to specifically improve that aspect of the hotel. I mentioned I was a Diamond at the front desk because I felt it might make a difference. If you think two waiters acting overworked is "normal" then fine. I'm not sorry how I handled things.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
I need to be in PS area next March; tennis tournament in Indian Wells. A bit late trying to reserve; Diamond last room benefit is $460 per night. Every Hilton property nearby is sold out, so I'm going to stay in Temecula (60 mi. S/W) for an MVP rate of $135. ^

Reading your review as well as TA reviews makes me glad I'm staying in Temecula, which, by the way, has a fun/funky Old Town.

Thanks for the review.
Just got back from the Homewood Suites Palm Desert and liked it a lot. They have some availability for below $200 per night, less if prepaid. Not a resort property but Hilton, comfortable and convenient.

We were there for WTT nationals, over 50 division. Woo hoo!

Jim
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch
And if you do want a HH property with better return on your money, consider the HGI. It often has $55ish rates this summer (you can't tell until you click through to see all the rates at that specific hotel), and while it may be just slightly nicer (in terms of grounds, especially) than average HGI, it has the HGI consistency, and with all that in mind it sure sounds like a much better value per dollar paid than what's been reviewed above!
I agree. IMHO, the HGI in Palm Desert is nicely located, and probably at least as nice as the Hilton in Palm Springs, for much less money. And NO resort fee.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyboy60
I agree. IMHO, the HGI in Palm Desert is nicely located, and probably at least as nice as the Hilton in Palm Springs, for much less money. And NO resort fee.
That's where I was planning on staying in the area if I return in the Spring; their rates are half the Hilton's at that time. I don't plan on renting a car, so a taxi fare out there would add a few bucks to the cost though.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Recent experience at La Quinta Resort

Read Trip Advisor with mixed reviews (older rooms, so-so staff, great grounds).

Anybody had recent experience. Thinking of playing gold there for four days in May.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
Read Trip Advisor with mixed reviews (older rooms, so-so staff, great grounds).

Anybody had recent experience. Thinking of playing gold there for four days in May.
Wrong thread for your post.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by diver858
We just returned from a 2 night leisure stay, participating in the Tour de Palm Springs Bicycle Fun Ride. As the ride started, ended on Palm Canyon Drive, primary interest was location; we bit the bullet, used Cat 7 points for 2 nights.

While the decor is being updated, major renovations in the pool area, the property leaves much to be desired.

1. Walls are paper thin, you can hear people in rooms on both sides, above and below watching TV, pleasuring each other.
2. Jacuzzi was GROSS - water was green/brown, debris floating around; pool appeared to be well maintained, clean
3. Be prepared to be nickel and dimed: Diamonds receive free continental breakfast - pastry, juice and coffee ONLY. Value of $8.50 can be applied to breakfast menu - basic buffet is $10.95, add omlete bar for a few dollars more. Entire restaurant staff will pressure you to upgrade from continental.
4. Resort fee - As a Diamond, using Points, there should not have been a resort fee, was not mentioned at check-in. When it appeared on my bill, the front desk was quick to remove it, claimed that the system automatically applies the resort fee, made a joke of it; more likely a situation of management attempting to extract an extra $14 per night for an already overpriced property, from those who do not scrutinize their bill, know better.
5. No Diamond room upgrade.

We are planning to ride again next year, are considering the Hyatt instead - a BIG jump for a VERY loyal Hilton customer.
Just returned from our third Tour de Palm Springs, ended up staying at the Hilton again. As the event was moved to January, to an otherwise slow winter weekend, I was able to book a standard king pool view for 30k points for 2 weekend nights - not bad.

For the third year in a row, the property was fully booked Saturday night, no upgrades for a repeat stay Diamond.

Weather was a bit too cold to enjoy the pool and jacuzzi. Later in the afternoon, there was a VERY loud, obnoxious group at the jacuzzi (outside of our 2nd floor room), I noticed one of the staff bringing over a bottle of Fireball and plastic shot glasses - VERY ANNOYING.

The ONLY good news: Accounting FINALLY figured out that award stays are not subject to the resort fee, also did not charge for parking.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by diver858
Just returned from our third Tour de Palm Springs, ended up staying at the Hilton again. As the event was moved to January, to an otherwise slow winter weekend, I was able to book a standard king pool view for 30k points for 2 weekend nights - not bad.

For the third year in a row, the property was fully booked Saturday night, no upgrades for a repeat stay Diamond.

Weather was a bit too cold to enjoy the pool and jacuzzi. Later in the afternoon, there was a VERY loud, obnoxious group at the jacuzzi (outside of our 2nd floor room), I noticed one of the staff bringing over a bottle of Fireball and plastic shot glasses - VERY ANNOYING.

The ONLY good news: Accounting FINALLY figured out that award stays are not subject to the resort fee, also did not charge for parking.
Fourth Tour de Palm Springs stay. Yet again - no Diamond upgrade, Standard King room (poolview) was up to 40k points per night.

Charged $18 per night parking - even on award stay - but no resort fee.

Good news is that they now consider free continental breakfast to include all "cold" items in the buffet: fresh fruit, breads, cereals, oatmeal, yogurt. Also includes coffee and juice.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would be leery of this property on weekends during the winter. How much is the breakfast copay?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Any recent stay reports or tips? I will be staying on a Sunday night in March, and the rate is a pretty good use of some of my Hilton Aspire resort credit. Diamond, and I appear to already have been upgraded from the base room to "alcove room pool view". TIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.