Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro - Port of Los Angeles {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro - Port of Los Angeles {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2001, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro - Port of Los Angeles {US-CA}

I have scanned most of the LA(X) threads herein & do not seem to see anything specific regarding the Hilton Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro) next to the World Cruise Center. As I have a tentative booking at this property in Feb would any of you be so kind as to provide any suggestions &/or comments?

I am particularly interested to know what you think of it? Room suggestions (i.e. marina or pool view, executive level, etc.)? Transportation suggestions from LAX? Neighboring amenities & to-do's?

FYI I thought this Hilton may be more useful & entertaining for the 1 night layover enroute to a family cruise vacation departing from the cruiseship terminal nearby than the further-out LAX properties. Good thinking or not? Given the $119 US/night rate plus LAX transport charges it may be a bit pricey for an overnight visit. Would you suggest an alternative cost-effective property suitable for a family of three ( 2 x adults, 1 x child)?

Thanks all for your input...

Cheers. Dogstar.
Old Nov 10, 2001, 9:56 pm

although it doesn't provide much info on the property as it does about nearby attractions, i recall an article from the LA Times from a few months ago that mentioned this property. here's the link: http://www.calendarlive.com/top/1,14...-34940,00.html
Old Nov 12, 2001, 9:40 am

It's a small hotel with nice views of the marina. The pool and hot tub are also small and there really isn't anything interesting nearby. I had a suite on one of my stays which was nice size. The rooms are old looking & the hotel could use a bit of a face lift. You can't beat the rate though.
Old Nov 12, 2001, 7:32 pm

Programs: Ex-Continental Platinum Elite, HHonors Diamond Preferential VIP, Former Continental Platinum Elite
This is a nice, small property with lovely grounds in a very industrial shipping district (Port of Los Angeles).

I have stayed there 3 times in the last 6 months and would encourage you to do the same - its about a 20 minute drive to the Airport - take a cab if you have more a few others joining you because the hotel itself does not offer LAX shuttle service.

Just as an aside - ask for the "Arnold Schwarzanegger Suite" - the front desk staff will laugh and probably give it to you - and its HUGE! Apparently - Mr. Schwarzenegger stayed there when they were filming his last movie in the Port of Los Angeles.

------------------
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been,and there you will forever long to return." Leonardo da Vinci
flockavelliFT and fotoflyer88 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2001, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Just as an aside - ask for the "Arnold Schwarzanegger Suite" - the front desk staff will laugh and probably give it to you - and its HUGE!</font>
Sounds like it's worth the request. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:57 am

Doubletree Hotel San Pedro Trip Reports and Reviews

I recently (December,2008) stayed at DT San Jose and was very pleased with the hotel. It was only one night since we were going on a cruise the next day. It was clean, I did not notice any odors, breakfast was decent (we're Gold and they gave us an extra breakfast coupon to use for our son), the bar was nice, personnel were very helpful, beds were comfortable and we had a very nice view of the bay from our window. I guess others expect much more out of a hotel than I do. I'm pretty picky and will not hesitate to complain if something is wrong, but I found nothing wrong with this property.
The above poster is correct, it is not close to the airport and it is not walkable to anyplace but they do have a shuttle that will take you whereever you need to go locally or you can always take a taxi. Heck......we stayed at ES North the night before we flew out and the only thing within walking distance from it was a Burger King up the street!

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 11, 2010 at 1:14 pm Reason: Removed quote that was no longer pertinent.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by calliecat
it is not close to the airport and it is not walkable to anyplace....
Not true...

SJC is not walkable but only a 2-5 minute shuttle ride away.

Within a 5-10 minute walk: Starbucks, Japanese and Mexican restaurants.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
calliecat, did you confuse the DT SJC with DT SFO? There are no views of any bay from SJC.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by boxo
calliecat, did you confuse the DT SJC with DT SFO? There are no views of any bay from SJC.
I had a nice view of something.....there were boats decorated in Christmas lights.....I hadn't even been drinking Maybe it was a marina of some sort....we only have the Mississippi River here in Missouri.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 5:56 pm

I had a nice view of something.....there were boats decorated in Christmas lights.....I hadn't even been drinking Maybe it was a marina of some sort....we only have the Mississippi River here in Missouri.

Go ahead and commit me now.....I meant San Pedro. As my son says....
MY BAD....... But I really did like the DT in San Pedro.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Go ahead and commit me now.....I meant San Pedro.

Ahh...San Pedro. No problemo.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Any recent experience at this property?
I found a pretty good MVP rate and am looking for a hotel close to everything, have been to the area multiple times.
Room? Pool? Breakfast (for Diamonds)? Gym? Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: HH D
What do you call "close to everything"? Have you been to the hotel or San Pedro before? It takes about 40 minutes to get to downtown LA on a Sunday morning with light traffic. On the other hand: the hotel has free parking, which will save a lot if you are traveling on your own dime. As a diamond I was upgraded to a marina view room. Because Hilton lets you choose your own room, and because I knew, if you stay here for a couple of days, you will prefer to be near the entrance side of the building (so you can take the stairs and not have to walk very far to your room each time). So I upgraded myself to a room with even a better marina view on that side of the building. The marina is a bit dull, lots of ships all sizes, but hardly any activity. The boaters here probably need to work very hard to be able to own one. The area is extremely quiet, no sounds of traffic, only with certain winds you will hear port activity on the very far side of the water.

Pool has a decent size, with some nice gardening and seating available. I didn't get to use the fitness, but I did try some ot those Lime short-time rental bicycles, they weren't really great, but they got me around town. Currently I can only see eScooters in San Pedro, which are much more fun, but none is parked near the hotel right now. BTW on weekends in summer, there's a free trolley bus circular line, stopping at the hotel and at all highlights of the area, several very interesting stops. Especially the fanfare fountains (if they are called like that) were nice at night. Also there's a stop at Brouwerij West, so you can drink a few and take the bus back to the hotel.

Full buffet breakfast for diamonds. Have had far more interesting full breakfasts in L.A.. but it's ok.
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Thanks a lot for the extremely helpful review!
40 min drive is not too bad for me in L.A., I've just been to too many other Hilton properties in the area and wanted to try something new.
Very much appreciated.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:57 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I just completed a stay here last night and I wouldn’t return. I drew the last available room - 307. It smelled like a pet died, and had not one, but TWO connecting doors. I’m assuming the dead pet was in 309. 305 was a couple of kids who had the music on full blast for most of the night... that was until they had sex. I was asleep for maybe 30 minutes when I heard the girl moan. Then, I heard the thrusting, and eventually the finale. I’m pretty sure everyone else in the hotel heard them as well, but I was annoyed because I had an early flight out. The walls are so paper thin that adjacent rooms shook when 305 burped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.