Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton London Heathrow Airport (LHR) Terminal 5 {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Heathrow Airport (LHR) Terminal 5 {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by GB
Any recent recommendations on mini cabs to arrange pick up at LHR for transport to the Hilton Terminal Five for arrivals after 10:00pm?
I had the hotel arrange for a taxi in the other direction (to T3) and bill it to the room. Maybe they can do the same for the reverse?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 1:29 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by GB
Any recent recommendations on mini cabs to arrange pick up at LHR for transport to the Hilton Terminal Five for arrivals after 10:00pm?
Just for info, as the Hotel Hoppa is leaving T1 for Hilton T5 only at 9:36 PM, 10:36 PM and 11:36 PM, I tried to take a normal cab:

They would charge 35Ł for the 15 minutes ride !!!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Room sizes are tiny at The T4 Hilton in comparison the spacious well desired rooms at T5
Old Nov 4, 2012, 9:27 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Room sizes are tiny at The T4 Hilton in comparison the spacious well desired rooms at T5
And getting to the T4 Hilton is trivial compared to the PITA getting to the T5 Hilton.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:37 am
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stc
And getting to the T4 Hilton is trivial compared to the PITA getting to the T5 Hilton.
Have to agree with this. I have used the T5 and T4 Hiltons on a regular basis and like both hotels. I tend to use T5 Hilton when staying overnight if the flight is not to early so I can take my time. If its a 0600 hour flight or something equally ridiculous then I stay at T4. If you are likely to be rushed then I would opt for T4 Hilton every time.

Regards

Obs
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stc
Surely that depends how you get to the Hilton T5 rather than T4?

Arriving by car (self drive or driven) then it is a wash in fact the T5 wins for car parking facilities directly adjacent to the property.

Departing by car (my usual local Heathrow firm) is simple.

If you rely upon public transport then you will have to pay for the Heathrow Hoppa that is true but the payoff in terms of better design and better rooms makes that worthwhile I think if you are alone and if there are 2 or more of you then arranging your own car is the way to get between T5 and the hotel.

I hate the rooms at the T4 Hilton even though the rest of the property is rather good.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geilux
Just for info, as the Hotel Hoppa is leaving T1 for Hilton T5 only at 9:36 PM, 10:36 PM and 11:36 PM, I tried to take a normal cab:

They would charge 35Ł for the 15 minutes ride !!!
You don't have to take a black cab though there are plenty of other choices.

Addison Lee, Uber and many many local firms (e.g. LHR Express). It rarely takes 10 minutes for me to pick up a car for circa Ł10.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:26 am

You don't have to take a black cab though there are plenty of other choices.

Addison Lee, Uber and many many local firms (e.g. LHR Express). It rarely takes 10 minutes for me to pick up a car for circa Ł10.
I am not residing in the UK. Could you please give more information on how to pick up anything else than a black cab direction Hilton T5 (if Bus Hoppa number 10 is not running anymore) ?

Thanks
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You arrange a mini-cab.

Only Black cabs can pick up from LHR without pre-bookings BUT if you book via phone or web app you have vastly more choice.

I use LHR Express as my go to firm in that area but Google will bring up a wide range of alternative firms. It should only cost circa Ł10 each way for a much nicer experience than a Black Cab without the ludicrous out of M25 fees.

There are Apps that will allow you to book online with other firms (e.g. Addison Lee) but LHR Express recognise my mobile number when I call them and know who I am.

Another option would be to discuss arrangements directly with the hotel.

I generally only take Black Cabs in London when I need the convenience of picking up a cab straight away from the street or via the Hailo App. When I don't have an immediate need however I generally take a Chaffeuer service (e.g. Uber) which is both cheaper and more comfortable than a Black Cab and devoid of the aggressive chippiness you sometimes find amongst Black Cab drivers.

Like any other aspect of destination planning it is well worth understanding the car transport options at your destination and arranging these in advance.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
You arrange a mini-cab.
Just to clarify for those who aren't familiar, "minicab" doesn't refer to the size of the cab, but rather, a second category of cabs. True cabs require a hard-to-get license, demonstrating significant knowledge. These are the only cabs allowed to pick people up off the street without advance booking. Minicabs are less regulated and must be booked in advance (but even a few minutes in advance is OK).
Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
Just to clarify for those who aren't familiar, "minicab" doesn't refer to the size of the cab, but rather, a second category of cabs.
As we are on the transportation topic for the Hilton T5 (probably the only negative aspect on this property), could anybody tell me why a so-called back cab would charge you 35Ł for this 10 minute ride ?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:58 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:18 am
Old Nov 5, 2012, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism
Just to clarify for those who aren't familiar, "minicab" doesn't refer to the size of the cab, but rather, a second category of cabs. True cabs require a hard-to-get license, demonstrating significant knowledge. These are the only cabs allowed to pick people up off the street without advance booking. Minicabs are less regulated and must be booked in advance (but even a few minutes in advance is OK).
For additional albeit slightly OT clarity in London the process for getting a licence is something of an anachronism. Whilst all London Black Cab drivers are meant in principle to have a good understanding of a wide variety of routes, In practice you sometimes find shocking gaps in knowledge, because they only had to understand a broad selection of possible routes at a fixed point in time (which may have been MANY years ago). Those cabs which ply LHR tend to be

I would say that a competent mini-cab firm and a driver using sat nav with traffic updates will almost always get you to your destination faster and more reliably than an average black cab. YMMV.

iPhone and other instant Apps allow practically instantaneous booking and access to minicabs, which is why London Black Cabs aren't doing as well as they once were. Those embracing technology (like the Hailo App) seem to be doing rather better.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: hilton diamond, hyatt platimum,best western diamond elite
thanks...was wondering how to book a cab
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
Also note that BAA has stopped minicabs from picking up at the normal drop-off areas. So for example at T1 you have to pay an extra 3 GBP for the minicab to pick you up from inside the Short Term car park.

Some minicab firms will pickup late at night from say the top level at T5 when the BAA inspectors are not around. Not sure about other terminals.

Personally I use local minicab firm Station Cars @ Langley +44 1753 545000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.