Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton London Heathrow Airport (LHR) Terminal 5 {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Heathrow Airport (LHR) Terminal 5 {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 6:03 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Thanks for the info Land-of-Miles ^ good to know.

I'm guessing that bathrobes and slippers would be in the exec rooms and a bottle of water or two as well?
Old May 28, 2012, 3:33 pm

I have been there 4 times already. Twice as Diamond and twice as Gold. I have received upgrade each time without asking for it
Old May 29, 2012, 1:00 am

Programs: BA Bronze, HH Diamond, A-Club Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by BotB
Thanks for the info Land-of-Miles ^ good to know.

I'm guessing that bathrobes and slippers would be in the exec rooms and a bottle of water or two as well?
Yes, and a special bar of chocolate and a bottle of wine (I'm a Gold.)

Originally Posted by anwan
I have been there 4 times already. Twice as Diamond and twice as Gold. I have received upgrade each time without asking for it
I've been twice now and was also upgraded on both occasions without asking.

Chris
Old May 29, 2012, 2:27 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Also, it is truly nowhere near T5. My Sat Nav put it at 6.4 miles from the long stay car park for T1 and T3…It is outside the M25 and belongs to Slough more than London or the airport.
Ha, ha. By that token, the Terminal 4 Hilton should be renamed the Terminal 1 Hilton, it's closer to T1 than the T5 Hilton is to T5

Better still, why not rename both the airport Hiltons to "Terminal 1 Hilton"
Old May 29, 2012, 2:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Wow BotB,

thank you for such a detailed report!
Did you get to eat lunch/dinner in any of the restaurants?
Old May 29, 2012, 5:00 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by harryhv
Ha, ha. By that token, the Terminal 4 Hilton should be renamed the Terminal 1 Hilton, it's closer to T1 than the T5 Hilton is to T5

Better still, why not rename both the airport Hiltons to "Terminal 1 Hilton"
Or Terminal 2 (as it is currently being rebuilt!)...I take your point...I was trying to find a way to indicate that it is not at Terminal 5 or anywhere on airport property...and expressing that it was outside the M25, a few miles from the airport property and under the glide path was my (obviously poor! ) way of trying to communicate this! I'll try better next time...

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Wow BotB,

thank you for such a detailed report!
Did you get to eat lunch/dinner in any of the restaurants?
Thanks. Unfortunately not...I can imagine that they would be great though. The restaurants have been praised up thread and any of them looked good...however, I arrived too late in the evening and left just before lunch time so only had Brekkie...which as mentioned was brilliant. ^

Glad to hear of others having had success as Gold or Diamond getting upgrades...maybe my experience was an exception. The standard room, service and food were brilliant even without the upgrade.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Gold, Club Accorhotels Silver
Currently here before an early morning flight. Lovely room and was greeted as silver by very helpful reception person - no water in room though

Ate in galleries bar - ok food, terrible service from an incredibly rude manager who told me to take a seat then got stroppy when I went to him again having been sitting there for 8 minutes without a menu while he chatted to someone at the bar
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: HH D, IHG G, SPG G
I stayed at this property a week or so ago. I was generally impressed and this is certainly one of the better Hilton properties in the UK. But a couple of little things niggled me.

1. The receptionist at check in insisted that I was pronouncing my own name incorrectly. It is MY name and I know how it should be pronouned. Occassionally people mis-pronounce it, but then accept my correction. But on this occasion I was told, albeit politely, that I was pronouncing it incorrectly. Hrmph.

2. Stupid coffee bags in the room instead of simple sachets of instant. I know the coffee is better quality, but I want to quickly make a cup of coffee, not fart about with the origami of trying to rip the cardboard seal so it sits on top of the mug. Too complicated and very irritating when in a hurry.

3. Air-con. One of my pet hates in hotels the world over, and here it would not go below 19' - I like my room very cool and this was too warm.

4. Too many trendy lights in the room with too many different switches controlling them - very confusing

That said, the hotel was very nice with a nice Exec lounge which I had access to as a Diamond. I was also upgraded and also received two bottles of water, a half bottle of wine and a bar of chocolate as a welcome gift. I know LHR very well and found the hotel very easily - everyone was friendly even when telling me how to say my name correctly, and I would stay here again.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I can imagine that they would be great though. The restaurants have been praised up thread and any of them looked good...however, I arrived too late in the evening and left just before lunch time so only had Brekkie...which as mentioned was brilliant. ^
I ate dinner in the restaurant on my last stay, and it was *s*l*o*w* -- I had to stand around for ages before anyone would ask if I'd like to be seated. Lots of staff going to and fro, mostly setting up tables, but no one could be bothered. Then I couldn't get anyone to take my order. I gave up, walked out, thought about room service, decided that was a bad idea, went back, and still couldn't get anyone's attention. After finally going up to someone, who promised to send someone round, I was able to actually place an order and get some food, which sounded great from the menu but was really disappointing. I have to say the Hilton T4 has much better restaurants and food.

I had breakfast in the lounge, not a restaurant, and it was fine. Completely unstaffed, but I didn't care as it was well stocked.

Originally Posted by hingethunder
Ate in galleries bar - ok food, terrible service from an incredibly rude manager who told me to take a seat then got stroppy when I went to him again having been sitting there for 8 minutes without a menu while he chatted to someone at the bar
Sounds like it's a more widespread problem than I thought.

Originally Posted by wildthing271
The receptionist at check in insisted that I was pronouncing my own name incorrectly. It is MY name and I know how it should be pronouned. Occassionally people mis-pronounce it, but then accept my correction. But on this occasion I was told, albeit politely, that I was pronouncing it incorrectly. Hrmph.
That is unbelievable!

(I don't suppose your name is spelled "b-u-c-k-e-t" and you insist "'tis 'boo-kay'"?)

Originally Posted by wildthing271
Too many trendy lights in the room with too many different switches controlling them - very confusing
I find this annoying at many properties, but this is one of the worst for this particular peeve.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
However, if you have status, you may find you have to ask / demand you get the benefits you are entitled to here…otherwise they will simply put you in the first room and consider you sorted. Next!
Maybe I've been lucky, but they've always upgraded me to an executive room.

Also, it is truly nowhere near T5.
All I know is the Hoppa bus takes a long time to get there (plus you have to pay for it).

Finally, your car parking fee can be charged to your room so you get some points for it. ^
Just a note of caution: not everything charged to your room earns points. The hotel codes each charge as either earning points or not. E.g., transportation or taxi charges usually don't earn points, like taxes, although sometimes they do. So, having a charge on your folio may be necessary to earn points but isn't sufficient.

The room is bigger than an exec room at the T4 Hilton so if space is important then this is your hotel.

The bathroom is also bigger and has some nice touches such as a dimming background ambience light as well as some halogen spots. The shower / tub combination are fine and my only beef is that the pressure wasn't as strong as I would like but it does the job.
The rooms are larger and less cramped than at the T4 Hilton. I'm not a fan of tub/shower combos in general, and would be happier with the stall-only option except that at the T4 Hilton, I've never been able to take a shower without completely soaking the bathroom.

(Once you get a bathrobe…they are the softest and warmest I have ever had in a hotel) ^
Aren't they made of that weird plasticy material? That stuff creeps me out. Maybe I'm thinking of a different hotel. I'm a fan of either the thick terry cotton robes or the thinner checkerboard cotton ones.

The mini bar is one of the newer electronic ones so be careful if you lift any can or bottle up…it will charge you for it.
Those are far too common. I call them "booby-trapped mini-bars" because if you try to see what something is, or carefully slide something of your own in their, you get charged.

As a diamond you get breakfast for free in the main restaurant (at least the buffet which I took) and you can order a premium coffee as well for free. ^

The buffet was excellent. One of the best I have had in a long time at a hotel. ^

The fruit were all fresh and juicy, they had plenty of juices and smoothies, there was a cook there to take fresh orders for eggs and such with a smile and the rest of the hot items were all tasty and fresh.
Wow! When I was there they insisted I was only entitled to breakfast in the lounge, but they also said that smoked salmon was only available in the lounge, not the restaurant.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:54 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Hilton London Heathrow Terminal 5

Ok stay when I was there
Room very good - exec Lounge OK and gym one of the better hotel gyms

Negative? Location. it's 10 mins by bus which for me makes it OK for overnight flights but you can't really use it as a 2 day base to visit London..

A steal at under 80£
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
I ate dinner in the restaurant on my last stay, and it was *s*l*o*w* -- I had to stand around for ages before anyone would ask if I'd like to be seated. Lots of staff going to and fro, mostly setting up tables, but no one could be bothered. Then I couldn't get anyone to take my order. I gave up, walked out, thought about room service, decided that was a bad idea, went back, and still couldn't get anyone's attention. After finally going up to someone, who promised to send someone round, I was able to actually place an order and get some food, which sounded great from the menu but was really disappointing. I have to say the Hilton T4 has much better restaurants and food.
Wow, that is terrible, sorry to hear that...maybe it was just a one off bad experience (one hopes). I know what you mean about the T4 restaurants, I am a big fan of Oscar's at the the T4 Hilton...clean, excellent and friendly service, and importantly good food.

Maybe I've been lucky, but they've always upgraded me to an executive room.
Good to hear, maybe I just had bad luck...although after check in completed,, I asked about whether I was upgraded or if there were any exec rooms...they said no. When I queried this further (as I had seen plenty of availability on the website as mentioned) the desk clerk simply stated: you have booked a double bed, we only have twin single bed exec rooms...but she still didn't offer it to me...so I simply left it there...however, when I phoned the manager, she stated quite quickly...'I see you have declined our twin exec room'...WHAT?

I write my stay off as a bad experience...I won't bother trying to stay at T5 Hilton unless I have to now...simply because there is enough choice and the T4 Hilton or Sofitel are better IMO and are far more convenient without the variable quality of service. YMMV.

Just a note of caution: not everything charged to your room earns points. The hotel codes each charge as either earning points or not. E.g., transportation or taxi charges usually don't earn points, like taxes, although sometimes they do. So, having a charge on your folio may be necessary to earn points but isn't sufficient.
Good to know, thanks, I wasn't aware of this.^

I'm not a fan of tub/shower combos in general, and would be happier with the stall-only option except that at the T4 Hilton, I've never been able to take a shower without completely soaking the bathroom.
Agreed, separate shower and tub are best, shower only if push comes to shove over a combined shower / tub combo but due to space a lot of European hotels are like this unfortunately. Completely agree about the T4 shower spraying well outside the shower area...only pet peeve about that bathroom really.

Aren't they made of that weird plasticy material? That stuff creeps me out. Maybe I'm thinking of a different hotel. I'm a fan of either the thick terry cotton robes or the thinner checkerboard cotton ones.
No, the bathrobes were quite thick and extremely soft (I think they had just been washed and dried which may have helped) but they were definitely thick terry cloth cotton robes...

Wow! When I was there they insisted I was only entitled to breakfast in the lounge, but they also said that smoked salmon was only available in the lounge, not the restaurant.
Hummm, interesting...not sure what is correct then...maybe I just was given the ability to eat there due to my blow-up the night before with the manager? In any case, it was free and excellent...as a matter of fact, the breakfast was so good I seriously consider going back to the T5 Hilton and putting up with the other issues simply for the breakfast in the that restaurant...I have never had a better, fresher, breakfast, bar none. (and I do spend about 150 nights a year in hotels on average over the last 12 years)....from the fresh pastries and breads, made to order egg station to the brilliant smoothies....and a proper cappuccino, everything was excellent.

Just seems to show that if anything the experiences at T5 Hilton vary far too much IMO. Personally, I'll stick to the T4 or Sofitel. The T5 is nice and new, rooms are great (even standard rooms) BUT the soft product is too variable throughout.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I stayed at Hilton London Heathrow Terminal 5, and had a wonderful experience. Was upgraded to an Executive room (which was spacious and modern). Had a drink at the bar and then dinner at the restaurant. The food was fantastic - certainly better than I expected at an airport hotel. The service was good and very attentine; in fact, the restaurant's manager, Will, was a true star!
Even though the hotel is not very convenient I will choose it over Sofitel and Hilton T4.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I stayed at Hilton London Heathrow Terminal 5, and had a wonderful experience. Was upgraded to an Executive room (which was spacious and modern). Had a drink at the bar and then dinner at the restaurant. The food was fantastic - certainly better than I expected at an airport hotel. The service was good and very attentine; in fact, the restaurant's manager, Will, was a true star!
Even though the hotel is not very convenient I will choose it over Sofitel and Hilton T4.
Great to hear Andriyko ^

It seems the T5 Hilton is excellent 98 % of the time...One or two of us must have hit them on a bad day.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:36 am

I stayed here for a few days during the Olympics.

Arrived at 10am and was offered an upgrade to Executive Room if I was willing to wait a couple of hours for it to be cleaned, or else a regular room immediately. I took the regular room and was given access to the Executive Lounge in addition. They also sent up bathrobes and a welcome gift (chocolates and water) to the regular room.

Exec Lounge was nothing fancy but had decent spreads for breakfast. Staff could not have been more friendly or helpful.

Definitely one of the better Hilton properties out there. I prefer it to the Hilton T4, despite the need for the Hoppa to/from the Terminals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.