Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry a. laska
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

The 59th floor Executive Lounge has opened again today (Sunday, 1st Sept. 2013) after an extensive refurbishment. Pictures of the new lounge can be seen here:

New Exec Lounge Pictures by infoworks

10 Things to do while at the Hong Kong Conrad by wideman
Print Wikipost

Conrad Hong Kong {HKG}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I was not given the option of the restaurant breakfast ( I am HH gold) but did not ask and the lounge breakfast with harbour view is excellent. I do not know if on sunday ( when the lounge was busy) restaurant access would be provided
Agree with your lounge comments

Regards
why didn't you ask for breakfast at the restaurant?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No Need for An Invitation for Restaurant Breakfast

Just to be clear for future guests at Conrad Hong Kong with Hilton Gold or Diamond status, you do not need to "ask" or receive an "invitation" to take breakfast in the restaurant. Just do it. They will not charge you.

I actually think it's quite an excellent breakfast, though the dim sum is a bit disappointing.
The _Banking_Scot and elg26 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by zack14
Maybe he was content to have breakfast at EL as some people do. Maybe he didn't feel like asking. Why do you care to ask why he didn't ask? I wouldn't doubt TBS' travel savvy if you've seen all his various posts.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I actually think it's quite an excellent breakfast, though the dim sum is a bit disappointing.
Don't get me wrong. It is very good indeed. But standard of HKG 5-star hotel breakfast buffet is quite high, and I do think it falls a bit short based on that very high standard. Again it is very good, but Harbourside (IC), Cafe Too, Cafe Kool, JW Marriott, even Sheraton's buffet are all better imo. Dim sum is disappointing as you say and, while buffet dim sum is generally never that great, Cafe Too/Kool's are definitely higher quality. (Conrad Tokyo's breakfast dim sum way tastier, actually.) Conrad's Chinese tea is tea bag, whereas it's higher-quality and loose leaf at most other places in HKG. Fried rice also not good. No wonton at noodle bar... only fish ball type things. But their bakery items (eg, croissants) are pretty good.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
My suspicion on the food at the HKG Conrad EL is limited somewhat by the size of the kitchen as well. I have been at this Conrad when they have moved the EL temporarily down to the lobby bar area when the upstairs space was reserved for a private event. Wow, the spread was amazing the both times this scenario played out, probably helped out the proximity of full kitchens everywhere.
Good to know that there could be a silver lining when EL is closed!
Is the makeshift lobby bar EL operation only open during evening cocktails and afternoon tea? Or is it open all day long with espresso and tea available on-demand?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I felt that the buffet brekafast at the lounge was more than adequate, it is closer to the room and having breakfast by the window whilst overlooking the habour was beautiful (cloudy but good visibility apart from one morning when the tallest builidngs were in the clouds)and the lounge was more tranquil than the bustle of the buffet. If I was staying here more often I would try the buffet in the future and the queues for the buffet seemed longer than for the lounge on this visit

Regards

TBS
zack14 likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Dec 16, 2018 at 4:25 am
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by evergrn
Good to know that there could be a silver lining when EL is closed!
Is the makeshift lobby bar EL operation only open during evening cocktails and afternoon tea? Or is it open all day long with espresso and tea available on-demand?
The two times I have encountered this scenario (New Years, CNY), it has been for the evening cocktails/HH only. They would close down the EL upstairs around 17:00 for the rest of the evening.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Coffee/tea: TWG teabags are about the best one can get at any hotel lounge, so Conrad HKG gets high marks there.
By the way, before the remodel, the Conrad Hong Kong lounge had loose-leaf tea.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:59 pm

The last few years I haven't bothered to go down to the restaurant for breakfast. The lounge is usually calmer, and the food there has satisfied me.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
The last few years I haven't bothered to go down to the restaurant for breakfast. The lounge is usually calmer, and the food there has satisfied me.
We go downstairs for breakfast simply for the hot noodles and broth with the meats and veggies of the day. Spice it up with some of the available hot pepper pastes and flakes and you have a great start for the day!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
By the way, before the remodel, the Conrad Hong Kong lounge had loose-leaf tea.
Their EL still has loose leaf tea for 2 or 3 kinds of tea. Can't remember the names of them, but one tastes like oolong and another tastes like puer-er.
But yes for vast majority of tea types (jasmine, sencha, English, chamomile?, watermelon something? tea, etc), it's now TWG.

I think tea bags are fine for EL. But at Garden Cafe, I think they really should do loose leaf.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
We go downstairs for breakfast simply for the hot noodles and broth with the meats and veggies of the day.
If I ate breakfast downstairs and then head to EL for round 2, do you think the staff could see on the system that I'd already had my breakfast?

I've seen folks posting in this thread that they've done breakfast at both in the same morning. So I know it's doable. But I haven't done it, since I'd be too embarrassed by the possibility that the staff recognizes I'm partaking in the second freebie and hence looking a bit piggish. But sometimes I've seen an appealing item or two in EL that I didn't see downstairs.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Do it! I loved the downstairs buffet. I loved all the fruit and the baked goods.

One morning, I did the buffet and then walked around a bit. Then I went up to the EL for some coffee later (at least that's what I told myself), but I had a couple nibbles while there. I have no shame or guilt. I was still hungry.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
If I ate breakfast downstairs and then head to EL for round 2, do you think the staff could see on the system that I'd already had my breakfast?

Zero chance of any issues.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:16 pm

I've seen folks posting in this thread that they've done breakfast at both in the same morning. So I know it's doable. But I haven't done it, since I'd be too embarrassed by the possibility that the staff recognizes I'm partaking in the second freebie and hence looking a bit piggish. But sometimes I've seen an appealing item or two in EL that I didn't see downstairs.
I don't think the lounge staff would see that you had already had breakfast downstairs, nor would they care. Last time I went to the restaurant for breakfast, they had a printout with all the rooms that were entitled to breakfast in the restaurant that day, and crossed mine off. It wasn't an online thing.

The restaurant and the lounge have different things, so no reason not to go to both if you like. For example, my recollection is that the restaurant doesn't have the sushi-style salmon that the lounge has.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:24 pm

As others have already mentioned, no problem at all. And I don't think anyone from the staff could really care less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.