Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry a. laska
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

The 59th floor Executive Lounge has opened again today (Sunday, 1st Sept. 2013) after an extensive refurbishment. Pictures of the new lounge can be seen here:

New Exec Lounge Pictures by infoworks

10 Things to do while at the Hong Kong Conrad by wideman
Print Wikipost

Conrad Hong Kong {HKG}

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I didn't bother pricing out the other methods, but taxi's are incredibly cheap in hong kong. My trip from the airport (our pre-arainged transport never showed) cost about 400HKD.

We have Taxi'd all around town - including embarrassingly enough to a meeting at an MTR in Kowloon.

I am taking the hotel's car service back to the airport later. So - ill be able to add some info on that - though it is a tad on the spendy side.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
I didn't bother pricing out the other methods, but taxi's are incredibly cheap in hong kong. My trip from the airport (our pre-arainged transport never showed) cost about 400HKD.

We have Taxi'd all around town - including embarrassingly enough to a meeting at an MTR in Kowloon.

I am taking the hotel's car service back to the airport later. So - ill be able to add some info on that - though it is a tad on the spendy side.
I don't know about incredibly cheap. Sure its relatively cheap to the price of the hotel but the subway would be incredibly cheap. In NYC a taxi from JFK is $52 to Manhattan which is a comparable trip. I would also call this relatively cheap if staying at the Conrad NYC. Just my thought. I have always taken public transit when visiting HK because of its convenience but I can see value in a taxi.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by turtlemichael
That is what I do but one of the problems can be the wait for the taxi if you arrive at peak hour. .
Yes happened once or twice to me. I now always pick a car in the middle of the train, and get to the taxi queue asap. If you're at either end, and/or dawdle, you can easily get 20 pax off your train in line ahead of you.

Originally Posted by ponickka
How come most are suggesting to take HK express and then catch an uber/taxi instead of using the shuttle that can drop off JW/Pacific Palace?
1. I don't like waiting for the shuttle after a 15 hour flight. Sometimes it's as long as 15 minutes wait.
2. I don't like squeezing into the shuttle with luggage.
3. The shuttle does not stop at Shangri-La, only at JW/Pacific Place which is at bottom of the mall, whereas Conrad is at top of mall (see schedule here).
4. It's more like 5+ minutes walk from the JW/Pacific Place to Conrad, and it's extremely confusing finding the Conrad entrance inside the mall if you've never done it before.
5. I really don't mind paying LESS THAN FOUR US DOLLARS for a taxi.
turtlemichael likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I may be a bit of a weirdo in this respect but I generally travel light and always go out of my way to experiment with the various public transport options when I'm in a new city. The buses in HK are great and I was using them to get here, there and everywhere (super easy once you have an Octopus card). I think many tourists might be unaware just how good the buses are for getting a feel for the city, which is not so much the case when using the MTR, for instance.

As for the shuttle bus, the driver will likely stop at the Shangri-La if you ask him nicely, which is what happened on the bus I was on, and then the Conrad is right next door.
hugolover likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have two modes to this hotel. The one thing I would never do is take a taxi from the airport, I can well recall sharing a cabin on a Cathay flight with one famous journalist also going to the Conrad, he took a taxi and got massively stuck in traffic. I met him in the executive lounge later, as he was checking in, and in his flustered state he couldn't believe I had been for a swim in the hotel pool and then gone to the lounge. Cost him HK$800 too (US$100), whereas it cost me HK$80.

So I take the express to HK Island and then take the taxi, carefully placing myself 60% of the way down the train so I can get to the taxi rank quickly - there can be queues if you're the last one off the train. This is reliably the quickest, should get change of HK$150 all told. Takes about 35 minutes, and trains run every 12 minutes or so. It's hassle free on the whole.

Alternatively I change at Tsing Yi (bit up and down, but less walking than at HK Island-Central) and Lai King (easy platform swap) to end up at Admiralty, it saves a chunk of money (fare is HK$80) and turns it into a 45 minute journey.Then walk through the Pacific Place complex heading for Chanel on the second floor. Look upwards to see the sign for the Conrad.
nollbit likes this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; May 9, 2018 at 8:42 am
Old May 8, 2018, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I have two modes to this hotel. The one thing I would never do is take a taxi from the airport, I can well recall sharing a cabin on a Cathay flight with one famous journalist also going to the Conrad, he took a taxi and got massively stuck in traffic. I met him in the executive lounge later, as he was checking in, and in his flustered state he couldn't believe I had been for a swim in the hotel pool and then gone to the lounge. Cost him HK$800 too (US$100), whereas it cost me HK$80.

So I take the express to HK Island and then take the taxi, carefully placing myself 60% of the way down the train so I can get to the taxi rank quickly - there can be queues if you're the last one off the train. This is reliably the quickest, should get change of HK$150 all told. Takes about 35 minutes, and trains run every 12 minutes or so. It's hassle free on the whole.

Alternatively I change at Tsing Yi (bit up and down, but less walking than at HK Island-Central) and Lai King (easy platform swap), it saves a chunk of money (fare is HK$80) and turns it into a 45 minute journey.Then walk through the Pacific Place complex heading for Chanel on the second floor. Look upwards to see the sign for the Conrad.
Problem with taxi in Hong Kong is that some will take you for the scenic route if they noticed that you are a tourist. It is not legal but they do it. It is really hard to believe the $800 fare is legit even if the traffic is really bad. Maybe it was really bad because the driver purposely picked the worst route.

I have taken both taxi and airport express to Conrad and I have to agree that airport express is much more comfortable and faster.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
How come most are suggesting to take HK express and then catch an uber/taxi instead of using the shuttle that can drop off JW/Pacific Palace?

Is it that much of a walk or hassle to navigate through JW/Pacific Palace?

I am traveling with the family to HK in July and also want to know if I should get off HK station and take taxi/uber or use the free shuttle and get off at JW.

I'm impressively cheap. Thus, when faced with the "shall we grab a cab or should we take this free shuttle?" question, I opted for the shuttle. We waited maybe 10 minutes for the shuttle, then took a winding ride through all the other dropoff points. Maybe another 15-20 min? Then we got dropped off at the Pacific Place back(?) entrance where it wasn't any problem to pop up the elevator and get to the Conrad lobby.

However, I generally travel with one medium sized Osprey or Arcteryx backpack, no "luggage" as in suitcases, etc. I was in no hurry, so time vs. money equation didn't matter. No kids or elderly with me.

So: if you have similar travel, then go for the shuttle. It's not horrible. If you have luggage, time concerns, or people that need convenience... cab it.

Old May 9, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant

I'm impressively cheap. Thus, when faced with the "shall we grab a cab or should we take this free shuttle?" question, I opted for the shuttle. We waited maybe 10 minutes for the shuttle, then took a winding ride through all the other dropoff points. Maybe another 15-20 min? Then we got dropped off at the Pacific Place back(?) entrance where it wasn't any problem to pop up the elevator and get to the Conrad lobby.

However, I generally travel with one medium sized Osprey or Arcteryx backpack, no "luggage" as in suitcases, etc. I was in no hurry, so time vs. money equation didn't matter. No kids or elderly with me.

So: if you have similar travel, then go for the shuttle. It's not horrible. If you have luggage, time concerns, or people that need convenience... cab it.

Pretty funny statement given this is a thread about the Conrad Hong Kong

I like to consider myself "value oriented"..
Old May 9, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
A taxi should be 300-400 HKD from the airport. If you are traveling alone then taking the train is a good option, but if you are travelling with 3 people (and one is a kid) then a taxi is a good idea.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
A taxi should be 300-400 HKD from the airport. If you are traveling alone then taking the train is a good option, but if you are travelling with 3 people (and one is a kid) then a taxi is a good idea.
Given the standard HK taxi car, I don't have a clue where 3 people (or more) would have space in it with their luggage!

Also, as an FYI, the most expensive ticket (adult, one way, non-octopus) is HK$115 to the Hong Kong Station, going down to HK$205 for a R/T ticket when using the Octopus as the payment method.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:02 am

I am traveling with a elderly, two adult and 2 child. Taxi is probably not ideal as it can't fit all of us in one ride (6). Is it possible to take a UBER from the airport? In the past, I have always been able to get a Uber to the airport but not from the airport. How anything change in the past 1 year?

I might just take the express to HK station and get a uber for the entire family from station to Conrad.

Last edited by ponickka; May 9, 2018 at 11:29 am Reason: correction to spelling
Old May 9, 2018, 10:24 am

I am trying with a elderly, two adult and 2 child. Taxi is probably not ideal as it can't fit all of us in one ride (6). Is it possible to take a UBER from the airport? In the past, I have always been able to get a Uber to the airport but not from the airport. How anything change in the past 1 year?

I might just take the express to HK station and get a uber for the entire family from station to Conrad.
From Uber- https://www.uber.com/airports/hkg/ Yes..
Old May 9, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
TY!
Old May 9, 2018, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have traveled from the airport to Hk island more times than I can probably count. i have nevers een a taxi fare above 500 HKD, if someone was charged 800 HKD they were ripped off.

In terms of the rest, and I believe I posted it several years ago on thsi very thread, rule of thumb.

1 person traveling light. Take the train
2 people traveling light train is a possibility.
1 or more people with serious bags. Take a taxi
3 people traveling, take a taxi.

In terms of timing, it is all really six of one and half a dozen of another. If you are traveling light, manage to get to and on the train jsut as the doors are closing, and then when you arrive at the station, again you get on the shuttle just as it is about to leave, then you will have done by far the fastest possible way. If however, you wait 10-14 minutes for the train, and then wait again another 10-14 mintes for th shuttle, and are also lugging bags the whole way, you will in fact be slower than a taxi, even if there is traffic.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Given the standard HK taxi car, I don't have a clue where 3 people (or more) would have space in it with their luggage!

Also, as an FYI, the most expensive ticket (adult, one way, non-octopus) is HK$115 to the Hong Kong Station, going down to HK$205 for a R/T ticket when using the Octopus as the payment method.
Believe me. They can put more luggage in the trunk of a Toyota crown them others can put into the trunk of an E class Mercedes. The secret behind it is that they do not close the trunk but they drive with the trunk half open. We managed to get the staff for two people and the baby using a car seat into one of these Toyotas. We originally had ordered two cabs but the drivers were convinced that we only required one. When arriving back in Germany we tried to do the same trick with a Mercedes E class station car. This did not work. We had to take a messy this inWe had to take a Mercedes van.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.