Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry a. laska
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

The 59th floor Executive Lounge has opened again today (Sunday, 1st Sept. 2013) after an extensive refurbishment. Pictures of the new lounge can be seen here:

New Exec Lounge Pictures by infoworks

10 Things to do while at the Hong Kong Conrad by wideman
Print Wikipost

Conrad Hong Kong {HKG}

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by lsquare
I've never stayed at a Conrad before. In general, is it better to book with cash or points?
What I do is find the cheapest prices in cash and in points that I can book and compare them. For multi-night stays, it takes time, because the Hilton site doesn't necessarily price multi-night stays correctly when the price varies between nights. Sometimes it uses the price of the first night as the price for all nights, sometimes it picks a price that isn't the average and isn't the first night, it's just something it picked. So, I price it every way. For example, for a three night stay, I'll price it as one three-night stay, as three one-night stays, as a one-night followed by a two-night, and a two-night followed by a one-night. This applies for both points and cash. Then, I take the total cheapest cost in cash and the total cheapest cost in points and compare using the formula ( ( ( total cash ) / ( total points ) ) * 1000 ). If the result is 4 or greater, I book points. If it's 3 or less, I book cash. If it's between 3 and 4, I think about it in the context of my expected hotel spend for that part of the year and decide, based on how much cash overall I'm already spending versus how many points I'm sitting on.

It's definitely not possible to survive HK without cash, but it's definitely possible to survive in HK without a lot of cash. I mainly use cash at the restaurants that don't take cash like Cafe de Coral and Octopus. Everywhere else I use credit cards.
I always have a small amount of cash, pretty much just for the rare occasion when I use a taxi, or need to reload my Octopus.
Old May 24, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by anabolism
What I do is find the cheapest prices in cash and in points that I can book and compare them. For multi-night stays, it takes time, because the Hilton site doesn't necessarily price multi-night stays correctly when the price varies between nights. Sometimes it uses the price of the first night as the price for all nights, sometimes it picks a price that isn't the average and isn't the first night, it's just something it picked. So, I price it every way. For example, for a three night stay, I'll price it as one three-night stay, as three one-night stays, as a one-night followed by a two-night, and a two-night followed by a one-night. This applies for both points and cash. Then, I take the total cheapest cost in cash and the total cheapest cost in points and compare using the formula ( ( ( total cash ) / ( total points ) ) * 1000 ). If the result is 4 or greater, I book points. If it's 3 or less, I book cash. If it's between 3 and 4, I think about it in the context of my expected hotel spend for that part of the year and decide, based on how much cash overall I'm already spending versus how many points I'm sitting on..
A valuable analysis. In other words you value HH points at between 0.3 and 0.4 cents.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 3:25 pm

Staycation package valid till June 30th

https://conraddining.com/en/dining-n...-bliss-brunch/

Weekend Getaway with “Bliss & Brunch”

Make the most of your weekend with our “Bliss & Brunch” stay-cay package featuring our signature weekend brunch!
“Bliss & Brunch” package includes
– One-night stay in Deluxe Room overlooking the city’s skyline (valid for Fri/Sat/Sun check-in)
– Guaranteed early check-in at 11am and later check-out at 4pm
– Free-flow Champagne Saturday or Sunday Brunch for two (valued at HK$1,800+)
– An option of free parking or upgrade to Executive Harbour View Room
– 20% discount for food and beverage consumption at all restaurants

Booking period: Now until 29 June 2020
Stay period: Now until 30 June 2020

Priced at HK$2,800+ for two adults; HK$3,100 for two adults & one children (aged from 6 to 12)
Old May 24, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
A valuable analysis. In other words you value HH points at between 0.3 and 0.4 cents.
Yes.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ultrawin
Staycation package valid till June 30th

https://conraddining.com/en/dining-n...-bliss-brunch/

Weekend Getaway with “Bliss & Brunch”

Make the most of your weekend with our “Bliss & Brunch” stay-cay package featuring our signature weekend brunch!
“Bliss & Brunch” package includes
– One-night stay in Deluxe Room overlooking the city’s skyline (valid for Fri/Sat/Sun check-in)
– Guaranteed early check-in at 11am and later check-out at 4pm
– Free-flow Champagne Saturday or Sunday Brunch for two (valued at HK$1,800+)
– An option of free parking or upgrade to Executive Harbour View Room
– 20% discount for food and beverage consumption at all restaurants

Booking period: Now until 29 June 2020
Stay period: Now until 30 June 2020

Priced at HK$2,800+ for two adults; HK$3,100 for two adults & one children (aged from 6 to 12)
Sounds like a good deal?
Old May 24, 2020, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Got to feel for the staff at the property. Was reading online today there were more protests on the streets.

Still, with the low occupancy, this would be a time to renovate the rooms and bring them inline with the Grand Hyatt.
NoY likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Got to feel for the staff at the property. Was reading online today there were more protests on the streets.

Still, with the low occupancy, this would be a time to renovate the rooms and bring them inline with the Grand Hyatt.
I was reading some reviews of the Conrad and they seem to indicate that the property is starting to show its age. It seems like you share that view. Are there any plans for renovation in the near future? At this price range, the new Regent HK may be competing with the Conrad?
Old May 24, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SgtRyan

I was reading some reviews of the Conrad and they seem to indicate that the property is starting to show its age. It seems like you share that view. Are there any plans for renovation in the near future? At this price range, the new Regent HK may be competing with the Conrad?
Not to be snarky, but with what cash should they do this with when they're in a massive negative cash flow position?
Old May 24, 2020, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Not to be snarky, but with what cash should they do this with when they're in a massive negative cash flow position?
Pretty sure they're not the only hotel that have a negative cash flow at the moment. Furthermore, the pandemic was a recent development. I think people have been talking about Conrad's age for a while now right?
Old May 25, 2020, 1:50 am

If anyone's stayed recently, what are they doing at Garden Cafe? It's not buffet like status-quo, right? Or is it?

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I know, really. How much longer will owners of Conrad (and others) be willing to see this out?
I would think tough times are ahead for commercial real estate, and Swire may be forced to make some tough decisions.
Old May 25, 2020, 2:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by evergrn
I know, really. How much longer will owners of Conrad (and others) be willing to see this out?
I would think tough times are ahead for commercial real estate, and Swire may be forced to make some tough decisions.
https://www.swireproperties.com/en/p...hong-kong.aspx

Who owns the other 80%?
Old May 25, 2020, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Sounds like you know the answer.
Old May 25, 2020, 4:13 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Don't be surprised if this hotel ultimately decides to brand downgrade to a standard Hilton or Doubletree, rather than rennovate.

I mentioned this in the other Hong Kong thread:

With the way Hong Kong is going, I wouldn't be surprised if most western hotel chains decide to "brand downgrade" or even shut down their luxury properties in HK permanently. China is doing everything possible to ensure Hong Kong's special status as a center of finance & business for foreign investors comes to an end. Without the foreign companies & investors & western style legal system, Hong Kong will slowly morph into an obscure 2nd or 3rd tier Chinese city, that only older nostalgic tourists, and mainland Chinese (many on their way on their way to Macao) will visit.

In the long run, this seems to be Beijing's plan...let the city slowly descend into non relevance on the global stage.
At that stage only a few 4 star or 5 star luxury properties will be necessary and will survive.

Last edited by est-gratuite; May 25, 2020 at 4:27 am
Old May 25, 2020, 4:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sounds like you know the answer.
The link I provided only mentions Swire (20%). If I had to guess, I would say that Hilton International owns all or most of the rest. On the other hand, since Google failed me, it's possible that the true owners prefer to remain somewhat hidden.
Old May 25, 2020, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
The link I provided only mentions Swire (20%). If I had to guess, I would say that Hilton International owns all or most of the rest. On the other hand, since Google failed me, it's possible that the true owners prefer to remain somewhat hidden.
I thought Hilton wasn't in the business of owning hotels? 80% is pretty significant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.