FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Conrad Hong Kong {HKG} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/124932-conrad-hong-kong-hkg.html)

Immortalist Jan 13, 2017 10:11 am

Originally Posted by earlyriser (Post 27698511)
Stayed here a few days ago for two nights as a Diamond. Was upgraded to the 60th floor with harbour view. Check-in and stay was excellent overall. I followed much of the recent advice in this thread, such as breakfast downstairs which really was amazing IMO. Spent quite a bit of time in the executive lounge and was quite pleased. Only minor complaint is that it seemed my partner and I were not taken care of to the same level as other guests in the EL. At some points during afternoons/evenings, it seemed like we were being ignored and everyone else around us was being attended to. Perhaps this was due to our age (early 30's), as many of the other guests were our senior. Despite this, I can't wait to return and try the other Conrad's in Asia. Does every Conrad give you a free teddy bear because I think we want to collect them all!?

Yup, same issue here as well. Except I was traveling alone and slightly older. I'm incline to think that it's possible they just "pick and choose" whom they deem to be more important. Every time I asked for assistance over at the EL they all look rather annoyed, and they never follow-up on any inquiries I had. Eventually what finally got their attention was when I had an accident scalding myself because no one would help with getting the drinks for me and I had to figure out how to work the machinery. In terms of service, Conrad Hong Kong was nowhere near as attentive as Conrad Macao.

Not all Conrad properties have stuffed toys, and some you have to ask for or pay for.

Immortalist Jan 13, 2017 10:13 am

Originally Posted by SFOTerry (Post 27747592)
Sunday 29 Jan is actually NYD+1, when the fireworks show occurs.

The email also stated:

During this time, we have arranged an exclusive area at our Lobby Lounge (located on Lobby Level) where you can continue to enjoy the many benefits of Executive Lounge.

But I doubt if the fireworks will be as visible from there.

Got that message as well and am tempted to change my reservation to stay at Ritz instead. I would've stayed at Conrad Macao for Jan 29th except they were completely sold out - no amount of Diamond status can help with that one.

Gradfly Jan 17, 2017 6:19 pm

One night layover stay

Background

Stayed here last week during a layover on my way home. Arrived at around 9:30pm and was taken straight to the EL for check-in. As with my other Conrad stays on this trip, I had sent an upgrade request about a week ahead of check-in. About the night before check-in, I checked OLCI and was pre-assigned a harbor view exec king. My other choices were the same room type in different floors, including the very top at the 61st floor. I didn't select the room because I was hoping for a suite upgrade. At check-in, I ended up getting the pre-assigned room. This stay was on points.

Room

http://i.imgur.com/nN98LHZl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/scRQQaSl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZTwMS2Ql.jpg
Bathroom was smaller than the ones in my rooms in Tokyo and Manila but they managed to fit both a tub and shower.

http://i.imgur.com/Gyc4U2Ul.jpg

View

http://i.imgur.com/VmFdFQal.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/561WIQXl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/M0M4M0tl.jpg

EL and Breakfast

http://i.imgur.com/eRRerOol.jpg
I didn't make it for the evening reception. Went here for a bit after checking into my room and waiting for room service. They still had some snacks and drinks out. Found the service to be pretty attentive and personable.

http://i.imgur.com/eJUJ99Nl.jpg
I chose to have breakfast in the Garden Cafe at the lower lobby. The buffet selection was good but not as big as the ones I've had in Singapore or Manila. Ended up trying the dimsum selection in spite of the comments I read on this thread; wasn't feeling the western selections that morning. I would say that it wasn't bad but not spectacular either.

Overall

I was impressed by the Conrad Hong Kong and wish I had more time during my stay. It has a more opulent feel compared to Conrad Tokyo or Seoul, which are more understated/minimalist. My best description would be Conrad Singapore with fancier decor. Staff were on point and addressed my needs proactively. I'd definitely come back here if my travels take me again to Hong Kong.

kirkwoodj Jan 17, 2017 7:54 pm

I've always been offered an adult beverage when checking in at EL, even if after happy hour ^

The Viking Jan 17, 2017 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTerry (Post 27745356)
Part of an email I received Sunday:

"Please be advised that our Executive Lounge on Level 59 will be closed for a private event on Sunday, 29 January 2017 from 12:00 noon onwards. Normal services will resume on the following day.

During this time, we have arranged an exclusive area at our Lobby Lounge (located on Lobby Level) where you can continue to enjoy the many benefits of Executive Lounge."

The new year's fireworks over the harbor will be that evening, so there will be no watching them from the lounge for me. :(

This is usually and "Buy In" event available to anyone and everyone, not a private function. Just trying to squeeze the extra buck out of the fireworks...

evergrn Jan 18, 2017 1:29 pm

My most recent stay at Conrad HKG was just fine until right after we checked out and were trying to catch a taxi to the Airport Express. Checked out close to 3hrs before the flight, which is usually far more than plenty. I was only 4th or 5th in queue at the taxi stand. But it took >40min to get a cab. As a regular visitor to HK, I know that taxi drivers can be fickle in terms of where they're willing to go, etc. Plus that day the streets were unusually congested.

But the problem was more than that. It was exacerbated by Conrad's location and utter lack of service. First of all, all traffic into Conrad goes through Shangrila. Shangrila's at the end of the cul-de-sac that features Conrad on the right. But taxis are technically not allowed to turn right into Conrad, so they're funneled first to Shangrila. As result, the only taxis pulling into Conrad that day were those dropping people off. Taxis would come in sporadically, but almost all refused to head towards Central. If the bellmen would stand out there to try to hail cabs, then I'm sure more cabs would've come. But it was raining that day, so they didn't want to do that for the guests. Finally an AE shuttle came, but we didn't get on because the bellman said it'd make multiple other stops and it'd take forever to get to AE on the shuttle. We were seriously getting worried about the time, so I headed back into lobby and talked to concierge to see if they could help. The concierge guy said no taxis are going to go to HK Station with that type of road congestion, and he literally said it with a laugh. He told me to take the MTR. I told him we had 3 suitcases. He said MTR is not far (are you kidding me? Without any luggage, it's still a 7-min walk involving elevator, then series of escalators and stairs. I had 3 suitcases and 2 little kids.). At last we got a cab, and it took ~30min in traffic to get to HK Station. If I'm correct that the airline check-in cutoff at the station is 90min, then we must've barely made it.

I've always had to wait a little longer for taxis at Conrad than most other hotels I've stayed at in HK. Nonetheless I understand that this was an exceptional combination of circumstances that led to it, and I'm not blaming Conrad. However, even if they weren't going to be able to help much, their piss-poor attitude and demeanor were disappointing for that caliber of hotel.

ESFLYER95 Jan 18, 2017 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn (Post 27782945)
My most recent stay at Conrad HKG was just fine until right after we checked out and were trying to catch a taxi to the Airport Express. Checked out close to 3hrs before the flight, which is usually far more than plenty. I was only 4th or 5th in queue at the taxi stand. But it took >40min to get a cab. As a regular visitor to HK, I know that taxi drivers can be fickle in terms of where they're willing to go, etc. Plus that day the streets were unusually congested.

But the problem was more than that. It was exacerbated by Conrad's location and utter lack of service. First of all, all traffic into Conrad goes through Shangrila. Shangrila's at the end of the cul-de-sac that features Conrad on the right. But taxis are technically not allowed to turn right into Conrad, so they're funneled first to Shangrila. As result, the only taxis pulling into Conrad that day were those dropping people off. Taxis would come in sporadically, but almost all refused to head towards Central. If the bellmen would stand out there to try to hail cabs, then I'm sure more cabs would've come. But it was raining that day, so they didn't want to do that for the guests. Finally an AE shuttle came, but we didn't get on because the bellman said it'd make multiple other stops and it'd take forever to get to AE on the shuttle. We were seriously getting worried about the time, so I headed back into lobby and talked to concierge to see if they could help. The concierge guy said no taxis are going to go to HK Station with that type of road congestion, and he literally said it with a laugh. He told me to take the MTR. I told him we had 3 suitcases. He said MTR is not far (are you kidding me? Without any luggage, it's still a 7-min walk involving elevator, then series of escalators and stairs. I had 3 suitcases and 2 little kids.). At last we got a cab, and it took ~30min in traffic to get to HK Station. If I'm correct that the airline check-in cutoff at the station is 90min, then we must've barely made it.

I've always had to wait a little longer for taxis at Conrad than most other hotels I've stayed at in HK. Nonetheless I understand that this was an exceptional combination of circumstances that led to it, and I'm not blaming Conrad. However, even if they weren't going to be able to help much, their piss-poor attitude and demeanor were disappointing for that caliber of hotel.

One word....Uber :D:D

turtlemichael Jan 18, 2017 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn (Post 27782945)

Even though factors such as the weather conspired to delay you, I still think you make a valid point about the Conrad HK. I am a fan of the hotel but I have quite often found long delays for taxis there. It is a consequence of the location of the hotel and they do not seem to have been able to do anything about the problem. It's a factor I take into account when deciding whether to stay there. I don't do Uber - too many bad experiences.

Alawyer Jan 18, 2017 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95 (Post 27783389)
One word....Uber :D:D

Uber barely works in HK

evergrn Jan 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by turtlemichael (Post 27783575)
Even though factors such as the weather conspired to delay you, I still think you make a valid point about the Conrad HK. I am a fan of the hotel but I have quite often found long delays for taxis there. It is a consequence of the location of the hotel and they do not seem to have been able to do anything about the problem. It's a factor I take into account when deciding whether to stay there. I don't do Uber - too many bad experiences.

I'm also a fan of the hotel. But it weren't for the Hhonors perks, I don't think I would stay there. As you say, the wait for taxi has been an issue each time, although it was never as critically bad as my last stay. The situation could be vastly mitigated if they allowed cars to make the right turn into the hotel. But I understand the hotel cannot make up traffic rules.

The lady in front of us in queue at the taxi stand was there, apparently because her Uber (or something similar to Uber) ride fell through.

Kacee Jan 18, 2017 8:03 pm

What about walking through the mall to the JW? Is it easier to catch a taxi there?

evergrn Jan 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 27784762)
What about walking through the mall to the JW? Is it easier to catch a taxi there?

Actually didn't think about that. Even easier would've been to walk over to Shangrila. However, many hotels (Conrad included) have separate queues for hotel guests and everyone else, and former is always prioritized.

Globalist Jan 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn (Post 27784804)
Actually didn't think about that. Even easier would've been to walk over to Shangrila. However, many hotels (Conrad included) have separate queues for hotel guests and everyone else, and former is always prioritized.

I am actually quite ok with the MTR and as it is connected via the mall it is very convenient.

When you need a taxi at the Conrad HK there will be delays. Mainly has to do with the traffic flow around the hotel. It is a one way cul-de-sac. you see taxis passing by empty, they will come back but by then would have passed the Shangri-La entrance so if there are guests waiting there it is unlikely taxis make it to the Conrad entrance empty.

Globalist

Kacee Jan 18, 2017 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Globalist (Post 27784859)
I am actually quite ok with the MTR and as it is connected via the mall it is very convenient.

I wouldn't call that convenient, especially if you're carrying luggage. You have what, four levels of escalators down? Probably ten minutes to actually reach the station. Then it's nearly a ten minute walk from Central to Hong Kong Station.

Globalist Jan 19, 2017 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 27785084)
I wouldn't call that convenient, especially if you're carrying luggage. You have what, four levels of escalators down? Probably ten minutes to actually reach the station. Then it's nearly a ten minute walk from Central to Hong Kong Station.

There are elevators and the walk on either side is all indoors and air-conditioned.. Agreed what is convenient for one might not be as convenient for others if you have different standards.

Globalist