Conrad Hong Kong {HKG}

Hide Wikipost
Old May 29, 15, 2:05 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jerry a. laska
Wiki Link
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

The 59th floor Executive Lounge has opened again today (Sunday, 1st Sept. 2013) after an extensive refurbishment. Pictures of the new lounge can be seen here:

New Exec Lounge Pictures by infoworks

10 Things to do while at the Hong Kong Conrad by wideman
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 15, 18, 6:23 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Sapphire, SIXT Diamond
have a trip to HK in July, and was wondering if 2200HKD is a good rate for the weekend ? supposedly a sale going on now, but not see-ing rates any cheaper ...

also how convenient is this hotel to see HK ?
Old Mar 15, 18, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by wantan View Post
have a trip to HK in July, and was wondering if 2200HKD is a good rate for the weekend ? supposedly a sale going on now, but not see-ing rates any cheaper ...

also how convenient is this hotel to see HK ?
2200 HKD is a good rate for the Conrad these days, 2000 HKD is around as cheap as I've ever seen it. This is no different than trying to predict airfare. Sure, there's a chance you may see it drop by 100 or 200 HKD over the next few months, but you could also check tomorrow and it could jump to 3000 HKD.

And generally speaking, the Conrad is very convenient to see HKG.
Cymro likes this.
Old Mar 15, 18, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
The more I visit Hong Kong, the more I appreciate Conrad's location.
SanDiego1K and yurtripper like this.
Old Mar 15, 18, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
If you don't mind a little extra time on the MTR there's a cheaper option to getting to the airport.

When using an Octopus card, there's no charge for MTR trips when connecting to the airport express. Normally this would mean you wouldn't pay for the Admiralty<->Central leg when connecting to/from the airport express.

However it also applies if you catch the Airport Express at Tsing Yi. Thus you can ride the MTR from Admiralty to Tsing Yi (which requires a transfer at Lai King - but it's directly across the platform so a simple change), and then pick up the Airport Express from there.

Total charge on Octopus is HK$65, rather than the HK$110 via Central/Hong Kong station. Travel time was about 10 minutes more.

In practice I'm not sure I would have bothered - but the fact I had ended up with exactly $15.3 on my Octopus card ($65.3 including the $50 you can go negative!) was a sign that this was the route to take
Note that there are various options for purchasing express train tickets, and it may take a little bit of figuring to work out which is least expensive for your situation.
  • For same-day return (e.g., a long layover), there's a specific return trip ticket.
  • For groups of two or more people traveling together, there are group tickets that are substantially less expensive, but these tickets can only be purchased at a ticket counter, not from a machine.
  • When staying multiple days and planning to take multiple MTR trips, express train tickets in conjunction with an MTR pass might be cheaper depending on how many MTR trips and to where and when you plan on taking.
  • Using an Octopus card gives you a discount on the express train fare.
  • Sometimes CX sells express train ticket vouchers in in-flight duty free shopping at a nice discount.
Old Mar 15, 18, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The more I visit Hong Kong, the more I appreciate Conrad's location.
I like the Conrad's location, but it's worth pointing out that the area around the hotel is quiet, as compared to, say, the Sheraton in Kowloon that's in the thick of things. There's a lot more within walking distance of the Sheraton than the Conrad. That said, I personally prefer the Conrad.
Old Mar 15, 18, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
2200 HKD is a good rate for the Conrad these days, 2000 HKD is around as cheap as I've ever seen it. This is no different than trying to predict airfare. Sure, there's a chance you may see it drop by 100 or 200 HKD over the next few months, but you could also check tomorrow and it could jump to 3000 HKD.

Originally Posted by anabolism View Post
I like the Conrad's location, but it's worth pointing out that the area around the hotel is quiet, as compared to, say, the Sheraton in Kowloon that's in the thick of things. There's a lot more within walking distance of the Sheraton than the Conrad. That said, I personally prefer the Conrad.
Thanks !

I did a quick look around at Marriott (W HK & JW Marriott) and Grand Hyatt ... both were asking roughly the same rate as Conrad. So MIGHT do a mattress run (Conrad, W, Conard, JW ?) Any tips on such a plan ? As I only have Diamond with Hilton, the stays at Conrad will be where I make the most of the hotel, while the others will just be a place to zzz. Unless one of those hotels has something exceptional over the Conrad where it's worth paying for a Club room ?
Old Mar 15, 18, 8:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Thanks !

I did a quick look around at Marriott (W HK & JW Marriott) and Grand Hyatt ... both were asking roughly the same rate as Conrad. So MIGHT do a mattress run (Conrad, W, Conard, JW ?) Any tips on such a plan ? As I only have Diamond with Hilton, the stays at Conrad will be where I make the most of the hotel, while the others will just be a place to zzz. Unless one of those hotels has something exceptional over the Conrad where it's worth paying for a Club room ?
Why mattress run? Your status is only going to get you something at Conrad. Unless, you really need a change of scenery that badly. I dislike changing packing up and changing hotels.
Old Mar 15, 18, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
MIGHT do a mattress run (Conrad, W, Conard, JW ?)
That doesn't make much sense to me. GH and W have seriously inferior locations. JW is in the same mall, but with smaller rooms and inferior views. Without status at Hyatt/Marriott/SPG, you're going to get an inferior room than at Conrad (which is very generous with Diamond upgrades), and you'll have to pay for breakfast.

And btw, "mattress run" typically refers to something you do within a single program in order to achieve status, not changing programs every night, which is really a status-defeating concept.
SanDiego1K and stevie like this.
Old Mar 16, 18, 4:48 pm

As others have said, not much benefit to that, unless you just want to experience the different hotels, and different locations (except for JW Marriott and Conrad, which are in the same mall). If you do want to hop around like that, you might leave a bag at the Conrad just to make it easier to hop on the MTR and get to the W and back. Or, just relax for the full time at the Conrad. Enjoy afternoon tea and evening hors d'oeuvres in the lounge, try breakfast in the lounge one day and the restaurant the next, go for a swim, walk around Hong Kong Park at different times, etc. And of course it's easy to take the MTR from the Conrad to Mongkok or wherever you like.
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 18, 18, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
That doesn't make much sense to me. GH and W have seriously inferior locations. JW is in the same mall, but with smaller rooms and inferior views. Without status at Hyatt/Marriott/SPG, you're going to get an inferior room than at Conrad (which is very generous with Diamond upgrades), and you'll have to pay for breakfast.

And btw, "mattress run" typically refers to something you do within a single program in order to achieve status, not changing programs every night, which is really a status-defeating concept.
Thanks, nice to know Conrad is in a better location

I have Gold with Marriott/SPG hence thinking of topping up some nights. After reading through the JW Marriott thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1887585-jw-marriott-hong-kong-4.html posters are saying the fittings at JW are better than Conrad ?

Should I expect a Suite at Conrad as Diamond ?
Old Mar 18, 18, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

Should I expect a Suite at Conrad as Diamond ?
I would never "expect" a suite just due to being a DIA. It does happen, however, if there is space available on the days of your stay. I'm about 50/50 for my stays.
Old Mar 18, 18, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
I would never "expect" a suite just due to being a DIA. It does happen, however, if there is space available on the days of your stay. I'm about 50/50 for my stays.
50/50 is good enough for me ! Any idea if the Lounge here serves all-day alcohol ala Conrad Singapore ?
Old Mar 18, 18, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Any idea if the Lounge here serves all-day alcohol ala Conrad Singapore ?
The Executive Lounge only serves alcohol during "Happy Hour" from 17:00 to 19:00. The Bar Lounge starts "bar" service after they clear up breakfast through midnight, IIRC.
Old Mar 18, 18, 7:55 pm

I have Gold with Marriott/SPG hence thinking of topping up some nights.
Well it would be an easy switch . . . they both have direct access into Pacific Place mall so you'd never have to step outside.

If you do switch, please be sure to let us know which one you prefer.
Old Mar 20, 18, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
How likely is it as a Gold I will get access to the EL? I ask as I am Gold with Marriott so will get access there plus is is 400hkd cheaper per night for my dates.

Search this Thread