Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Taipei {TWN} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 1999, 7:41 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM

staying at the Taipei Hilton now...just found that they put a keyboard in the room today...it's something called "Aquila"...internet services on the tv...using it to type this message now...a pretty cool technology to be found in this really old hotel...don't know if it's only for suites or every room has it...the rate isn't that bad either...about US$3 for the first 15 minutes, and US$1 for each additional 5 minutes...is something like this found in other Hiltons, or other hotels ??

of course, I'm just trying this out...won't use this much in the future...still a bit too expensive...
Old Jan 5, 1999, 7:47 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
That is a bit on the expensive side. It's like the Nintendo systems some hotels have in their rooms ... I stay at a Radisson in Huntsville, AL that has it a lot, and they charge like $6/hour! That's way too much ... If it were like $1/hour ... maybe $2/hour I'd use it ... but $6/hour ... forget about it!
Old Nov 19, 1999, 4:50 am
Original Member

Programs: UAL, Hyatt, Hilton, Shangri-La
Hilton Taipei

As anyone stayed at this location? I have a business trip on January 1, & 2, 2000. Yes, and it really is a business trip on the first of the year!
Old Nov 20, 1999, 8:43 pm
Original Member

I did and did not like it. The location is not so great. I tend to stay at the Grand Hyatt - it's a large hotel with a nice selection of restaurant, a great fitness center, outdoor pool (with underwater music). The hotel is right next to the convention center. Would also recommend to book a regency club room - it's only a little more but it gives you many more facilities (lounge with free meeting rooms, breakfast, cocktails etc.)
Old Nov 21, 1999, 7:30 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Confirming Dutchboy regarding Grand Hyatt as the place to stay in Taipei and it's an FHR Amex Plat property too.

Yet, having never stayed at the Hilton, I've generally heard good things about it. It's about half the size of the Hyatt and regarding location- well it's very close to the train station!
Old Nov 21, 1999, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I have stayed at the Hyatt and the Sheraton (down the street from the Hilton). It surely depends on what you mean by location. If you are attending a convention or want to visit the Sun monument, then the Hyatt is well located. Otherwise, it is NOWHERE. If you want to sightsee or shop, the Hilton's location is perfect. The Hyatt is clearly VERY deluxe but Hilton, though small, is just fine. The Hilton is also near public transit. I stayed at the LaiLai Sheraton while my husband conducted business and I picked it so I could get around easily without needing a car. I loved the location since it is right downtown - restaurants, bakeries (visit one and see!), historic places...The Sheraton was also a good choice but a few blocks farther from the center of town. Take good walking shoes - the sidewalks are a jumble in spots.
Old Nov 21, 1999, 5:08 pm
Original Member

DutchBoy, Doc, and Karen2:
Thanks for such great info and for being so straight forward about what you have encountered. I will give them all much consideration before I book something this week!
Thanks again.
Old Nov 23, 1999, 3:45 pm

Karen2:

I will stay in Sheraton Taipei next month. Is data port installed in rooms?
How long does it take a walk to Taipei rail station?

Thanks.
Old Nov 23, 1999, 10:01 pm
Original Member

Netcat-
Sorry I can't help you with this one. I have never stayed at that location. Let me know is you ever come to Japan though, especially the western half!
Old Nov 24, 1999, 2:28 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Beieve the Sheraton Lai Lai is literally one block away but not more than two. I believe it is just across the street from the Hilton and the RR station.
Old Nov 25, 1999, 6:25 am

netcat,

I stayed at Lai Lai Sheraton in Oct., in one of those SPG rooms on a higher floor. It had a dataport and I could access the internet.

The room, and the hotel itself, too, was old and their fitnesss room was less than perfectly nice. I also stayed at Hilton last year and the same thing can be said about the room.

While I do like their locations, I would dodge both Sheraton and Hilton and would try either Hyatt or the newly opened Westin in Taipei.
Old Nov 25, 1999, 11:23 pm
In Memoriam

I stayed at the Taipei InterContinental when I went this spring on a United e-fare - it was very nice (although I didn't check out facilities like fitness or meeting rooms, so can't comment on them). In general, though, I would pick wherever is closest to your business.

Two sightseeing musts: The National Museum is spectacular - they took all the good stuff when they left the mainland! I spent the best part of a day there, and could easily have used more time. It's a cheap ($4-6 USD) cab ride from most of the hotels you're considering. And even if time is tight, just a few minutes at Lungshan Temple will be fascinating, with incredible sights.
Old Mar 4, 2001, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA LIFETIME GOLD, 1.7MM; HH Diamond
Anyone have an update on the Hilton in Taipei?

I just did a search on this hotel and couldn't find anything reported in the past year. I'll be in TPE 4/4-8 and because I'm Gold would like to stay with Hilton but the reports I did get on the search were not that great. Anyone have anything new to say on it or should I look someplace else?

Thanks.

Chris
Old Mar 4, 2001, 11:29 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Is yours a business trip? Asking because I'm there on same dates and wondering where to stay, what to do.
Old Mar 5, 2001, 6:59 am

I stayed at the TPE hilton 5 times in 1999-2000. Nothing great about it except reasonable fares ( 115-120 USD per night), but very central location (in front of Taipei station), neighbouring a major shopping center (Shinkong Mistukoshi) where there is a good food court ( there is one as well below the hotel). The hotel itself is OK, nothing fancy but on the whole, good value and I prefer staying there. Have been upgraded to a suite (nothing fancy either; just a 2-room place )for the above rate by putting forward my loyalty towards their hotel ( am not quite sure there is a real executive floor)

TPE can be rewarding if you forget the huge highway that cuts the city. It's safe and the national musuem is a must ( and several times are better; do got the last floor where there is a chinese tea house with birds singing in their cage while you drink your tea and eat some buns-great!)

LordLuck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.