Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors versus Hyatt Gold Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors versus Hyatt Gold Passport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Uh, then you don't agree.... you are responding to a post about Hyatt GP earning, not HHonors.

Totally disagree... some Park Hyatt properties are among the best world class hotels around. Hilton cannot even come close to that standard with most of their properties.

And I cannot believe you spent $6,800 for five nights in ORLANDO?! Along with Vega$, Orlando has to have some of the cheapest hotel rates in the country. For how many people and how many rooms could you possibly have spent over $1,300/day?!?? And more importantly... WhY??
Not hard to do when I charged EVERYTHING to the room. 2 rounds of golf for four people. Dinner for 8 at Bear and Bull and a massive bar tab each night, we literally drank them out of all Johnnie Walker Blue. I also ordered 15 Waldorf windbreakers I gave away to customers

As for the higher end properties, please review the Hilton/Conrads in Bora Bora and Maldives or even the Grand Wailea in Maui and post some comparable Hyatt properties for me to take a look at
Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by snapper6768
Not hard to do when I charged EVERYTHING to the room. 2 rounds of golf for four people. Dinner for 8 at Bear and Bull and a massive bar tab each night, we literally drank them out of all Johnnie Walker Blue. I also ordered 15 Waldorf windbreakers I gave away to customers

As for the higher end properties, please review the Hilton/Conrads in Bora Bora and Maldives or even the Grand Wailea in Maui and post some comparable Hyatt properties for me to take a look at
From what I have read the Grand Wailea is way over-hyped and by the way, you should know that it started out as a Hyatt. I will compare that any day to the Hyatt on Kauai. However, you may not like the Hyatt on Kauai as it is a quiet, understated place and from reading your posts, it seems that you are anything but.

In addition, Kauai is a relatively quiet island and the Grand Wailea is in a relatively over the top, "see and be seen" area of Maui.

Chacun a son gout. @:-)
Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
>99% of the time upgrades come through
Seems inflated like their points for me. I'm more like 70% as a diamond.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:34 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by snapper6768
Just one word: Paris.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:24 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Many folks here have outlined the differences here fairly well
I have no credit card with Hyatt GP and earn free nights far quicker then with Hilton and the Hyatt room redemptions are of outstanding value.Great mile promotions not tied to rate paid as the heavy handed HH Way

How about the Hiyatt Auckland for 5000 points a night vs 50,000 at Hilton?
Is the Hilton worth ten times more then a Hyatt?
Sure thats an exception rather then the rule for redemption
However Hyatts most expensive normal room redemption fora top tier property (cat 7 like) is 18,000 for what Hilton demands 50k for
How about never have to settle for my way and instead having all those benefits and more during a stay?How about customer service at GP which while not perfect by any means is vastly superior in every way to a very mixed bag of agents some of who just hang up on you when they don't like your questions?
And many agents at Hyatt GP are empowered in various departments to break rules and expidite something if it falls through the cracks?

Hyatt properties are typically way better then Hiltons on average and so is the food and beverage.I recently recommended a friend to HH but only as a last resort as he is a PC Platinum member and is basically desperate to get out of Holiday Inns.He wants to stay Gold Passport badly however where he travels PC and Hilton have far more choices.
Hyatt nose dived some years ago however there is no mangement on board and it is back like never before with rich hard benefits and hotels willing to go the extra mile typically even if it takes a gentle reminder every now and then as with all properties you stay with.Its about delivering the general promise and expectations
Hilton has some cheery properties that deliver but for they are in the minority.I celebrate leaving so many of the lower tier generic experience of HH properties.....I would have stuck with them if they hadn't damaged the program.Enjoying life better at Hyatt Place and other such properties vastly superior in every way
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 27, 2010 at 11:33 pm
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
To be fair, Hilton gives out more points than Hyatt so your 50K vs 5K comparison should actually be more like 50K vs 10K. Still, I agree that Hilton is not good for short redemption awards at lower level properties. The value is nonexistent.

My last Hilton stay was at the ORD Hilton about a week and a half ago, paid for by UA since I had a mechanical problem. I got into an argument with a person at the front desk over the cost of upgrading a continental breakfast to a full one. She insisted that it would cost $15, and I could not use the free continental breakfast coupon and pay the smaller difference. What a bunch of bull. I took both coupons, and I asked the waiter the next morning. He took the continental coupon and charged me the $3 difference, and I gave a little more for a larger tip (the continental breakfast coupon included a tip). Of course, my incidental spending did not post properly to my account.

This is the problem with Hilton. They have too many employees who have no idea what their loyalty program entails. I checked in at the line for HHonor members. Yes, I realize that they can put anyone to service that line, but they should put people who have an idea what a gold, silver and diamond member should get with their elite status.

Maybe Hilton has some properties that really shine at the top end, but most people do not visit these properties alone. Most of us will visit regular FS and limited service properties. If Hilton cannot execute consistently at these regular FS properties, they are going to lose customers.

I thought about burning some of my remaining Hilton points for a weekday night in SD (I am here right now at the Manchester Grand Hyatt for 2 nights and the last night at a CY), but I looked up the Hilton properties in SD on FT and Tripadvisor and found too many negative reviews for many of the FS properties.

For example, the Bayfront Hilton in SD has no lounge and a rather stingy breakfast benefit for gold/diamond members (I think upgrading to a full breakfast costs $12). In comparison, the Marriott Marina and the Grand Hyatt both have nice lounges. The Hilton charges extra for internet (unless you make it your MyWay choice and lose the chance for a room upgrade) whereas Hyatt gives it free for elite members and Marriott lets you use Boingo to roam for free. I really get the impression that Hilton wants to squeeze every dollar out of you, and I see no reason why I should give them my business when some of their competitors are not doing that.

The lack of consistent customer service makes me feel like HHonor points are even worth less than they should be. I use Marriott for their coverage and excellent customer service and Hyatt for their special properties. Hyatt needs more consistency at their lower end properties, but I have yet to get into an argument with a Hyatt or Marriott employee over what my breakfast benefit as an elite member should be.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:37 pm

Leaving Hyatt for Hilton

I'm making the switch to Hilton after two years as Hyatt Diamond. The majority of my
stays are in the So Cal area. Hilton has more properties that fit my budget. With Hyatt I
am limited to just two properties. Suite upgrades with Hyatt don't do me much good
since I'm usually solo on the road. My usual Hyatt property (HR Orange County) does
not have a Regency Club. I never have time for a breakfast in the hotel restaurant. A
grab and go snack from a lounge would suit me just fine. With HH, I tend to frequent
Hiltons and DT's. I don't know how many of you have switched from Hyatt to
HH but for now I'm satisfied.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VA1379
The Hilton charges extra for internet (unless you make it your MyWay choice and lose the chance for a room upgrade) whereas Hyatt gives it free for elite members and Marriott lets you use Boingo to roam for free. I really get the impression that Hilton wants to squeeze every dollar out of you, and I see no reason why I should give them my business when some of their competitors are not doing that.
As a clarifiaction, Hilton now offers free internet to its Gold and Diamond Members. You do not have to sacrifice a room upgrade for free internet.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:27 am

Since I almost never pay for a hotel, unless it's less than $100, I stick with Hilton and get all my points for redemption via credit card. I have a fair amount of spend, and get 3+ points /$. I could get the Hyatt Visa now and get 1 point/$ spend. So, for $22K spend on a credit card, I get 1 night at cat 6 Hyatt, or ~70K HH points, which gets me 1 night at a cat 7 + 20K points. I use the Surpass card which gets me Diamond status that includes free breakfast, lounge access, internet and the Diamond force option. With Hyatt Visa, I could be Platinum, getting me internet access and some kind of room guarantee, though it's unclear how that matches the HH Diamond force.

Hilton has reduced point spend for longer reward stays (e.g. GLON), and perhaps Hyatt has this as well. I really like Hyatt hotels, but given their lack of presence in a number of locations and my somewhat unique scenario of virtually all points coming from CC spend, I can't make Hyatt make sense. Am I missing something?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:42 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xooz
Since I almost never pay for a hotel, unless it's less than $100, I stick with Hilton and get all my points for redemption via credit card. I have a fair amount of spend, and get 3+ points /$. I could get the Hyatt Visa now and get 1 point/$ spend. So, for $22K spend on a credit card, I get 1 night at cat 6 Hyatt, or ~70K HH points, which gets me 1 night at a cat 7 + 20K points. I use the Surpass card which gets me Diamond status that includes free breakfast, lounge access, internet and the Diamond force option. With Hyatt Visa, I could be Platinum, getting me internet access and some kind of room guarantee, though it's unclear how that matches the HH Diamond force.

Hilton has reduced point spend for longer reward stays (e.g. GLON), and perhaps Hyatt has this as well. I really like Hyatt hotels, but given their lack of presence in a number of locations and my somewhat unique scenario of virtually all points coming from CC spend, I can't make Hyatt make sense. Am I missing something?
Hyatt Platinum status is in no way comparable to Hilton Diamond, I would put it somewhere between Hilton Silver and Gold in terms of benefits. If you are able to run the $40k/year needed for Hilton Diamond on your Surpass card, it probably is the better option for you.

The big advantage of Hyatt in my opinion is the Faster Free Nights promotions, and if you're Diamond, the guaranteed suite upgrades.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 5:21 pm

Yeah.. if I could see myself getting Hyatt Diamond, I would go for it. Same dilemma with SPG.. would be happy to give SPG a try if I had a shot at top tier.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat.; DL Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mr27
I'm making the switch to Hilton after two years as Hyatt Diamond.
Funny, because I'm doing exactly the opposite, I think. I've been so loyal to Hilton over the past ten years that I haven't even bothered to look at the program. Mostly, I've been focused on my airline miles and getting to 2MM with AA, so the double-dip helped me along the way.

Now that I'm locked in at AA PLT for life, and after a recent attempt to use Hilton points to book a room (without success--how could I have been staying at Hiltons for the past four years, and not have enough points for more than two nights in Hartford?), I signed up for the first time for Hyatt Gold Passport.

I travel to LA a lot, and my company has a special rate at the Beverly Hilton. But, honestly, in my first ten minutes as a Gold Passport member at the Century Hyatt, I was treated better and made to feel more welcome than in all of my Beverly Hilton stays put together. And I have absolutely NO status with Hyatt. This is literally my first stay with the program.

And I'm hooked.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Im a new Hyatt Diamond Member, but interested in the Hilton program for the Hawaii properties particularly the Hilton Waikoloa, and Grand Wailea, which oddly enough used to be Hyatt properties.

I see double dipping of points to be of great benefit. Does status afford breakfast if I am not a Diamond at Hilton? Suite upgrades possible? I think the answer is no.. so I assume that I would have to pay for a suite.

Sounds like base members are considered for upgrades. So signing up would be a good start I guess.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Ancien Maestro, HHonors is my back-up. Lounge or breakfast and free wifi if you're Gold, even if they can't put you on the executive level. There are almost always shortcut challenges available at four stays to Gold (free stays also count as stays for this and status in general), and, while I don't play the credit card game, they grace perpetual Gold to credit card holders at the $95 fee level. See the Gold shortcut thread here on this board.

Now, before someone jumps in to say so, their points aren't worth shizzle anymore.

Last edited by Firewind; Aug 20, 2013 at 4:36 pm
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Firewind
Ancien Maestro, HHonors is my back-up. Lounge or breakfast and free wifi if you're Gold, even if they can't put you on the executive level. There are almost always shortcut challenges available at four stays to Gold (free stays also count as stays for this and status in general), and, while I don't play the credit card game, they grace perpetual Gold to credit card holders at the $95 fee level. See the Gold shortcut thread over on the HHonors board.

Now, before someone jumps in to say so, their points aren't worth shizzle anymore.
Cool. At 4 stays if I can get that type of shortcut, that would be doable. I am from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Are these shortcut programs or cc programs available for Canadians? Or largely are these offers valid for only for Americans?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.