Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors versus Hyatt Gold Passport

Hilton Honors versus Hyatt Gold Passport

Old Aug 20, 13, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, CC Gold, HH Gold, GP 1M, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
Cool. At 4 stays if I can get that type of shortcut, that would be doable. I am from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Are these shortcut programs or cc programs available for Canadians? Or largely are these offers valid for only for Americans?
I believe the shortcuts are available to any HHonors basic member. But it's all there in the thread, as only we can scrutinize suchlike . I'm less sure of the availability of the cc channel because I don't know if HHonors-affiliated cards are available to people without a US address. (Words chosen carefully in that last clause.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ges-comps.html

Now, in that thread, people are currently saying after they meet their challenge, their elite status's expiry is not until early 2015. I think this has been happening since about May.

As I recall, one year, I was offered a challenge over the phone by a customer service representative when I told her I was a Gold Passport Diamond. I also may have had to submit documentation. It wasn't part of a formal promotion that I knew of. She just notated my account. I don't think I was ever status-matched like that (..though I was probably trying then).

[I have no connection with Hilton except as customer.]

Last edited by Firewind; Aug 20, 13 at 4:44 pm
Old Aug 20, 13, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Firewind View Post
I believe the shortcuts are available to any HHonors basic member. But it's all there in the thread, as only we can scrutinize suchlike . I'm less sure of the availability of the cc channel because I don't know if HHonors-affiliated cards are available to people without a US address. (Words chosen carefully in that last clause.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ges-comps.html

Now, in that thread, people are currently saying after they meet their challenge, their elite status's expiry is not until early 2015. I think this has been happening since about May.

As I recall, one year, I was offered a challenge over the phone by a customer service representative when I told her I was a Gold Passport Diamond. I also may have had to submit documentation. It wasn't part of a formal promotion that I knew of. She just notated my account. I don't think I was ever status-matched like that (..though I was probably trying then).

[I have no connection with Hilton except as customer.]
Much thanks for your help and information. In Canada, cc deals are few and far between. But the information you provided me really hits the spot, as I continue finding more about the HHonors program! And the hint that HHonors may want to win business from other chains as well. The internal Fast Track lead, is making me more keen and interested.

Perhaps I may even phone HHonors down the road, ask about the HHonors programs.
Old Aug 20, 13, 11:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Ancien Maestro, you're a Hyatt Diamond and Fairmont Plat. Unless you're looking for a hotel chain with a bigger footprint or are looking for a cheaper hotel room, I don't see any advantages to switching to HHonors. If you're looking for a backup with a larger footprint, I'd go with Marriott before Hilton although you may decide you prefer Hilton over Marriott. You can pretty much get both Marriott and Hilton Gold through their many comp programs. Get Gold with both without having to do a challenge and then do a few stays at each chain.

And as Firewind already stated, Hilton points aren't worth squat anymore. I think they're valued at ~.3 cents/pt. By comparison, Marriott's about 1 cent/pt and Hyatt's ~1.5 cents/pt.
Old Aug 21, 13, 2:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks for the words from the wise. There are hotels we want to try out from he Hilton Chain and having a perk or two in the back pocket with not much involved is where its at for us. We were talking about Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu tonite, on top of the hotels above. It's good to know its cheaper hotel rooms and that will mean getting a suite should be pretty affordable at these properties.

Currently checked into Hyatt Regency Maui tonite for the first time ever. Although we've walked the ocean path in years path, I never realized how nice of a property HR Maui is. There are lots to explore so can't really immerse unless we stay at the hotels and experience he offerings. I've got a lot of reading and research to do.

The few Marriott rooms we've seen briefly, last I recall in San Antonio, I wasn't too impressed with. So we never ended up staying at Mariott before. Hilton we've never experienced before, maybe like 20 years ago as a kid travelling with band at some low end hotel. We have friends who stayed at the Grand Wailea and Hilton Hawaiian Gillage and only have good things to say. So we are definitely open minded to exploring.

Can you upgrade to suites using points with any of these programs. That's the big thing with us are suites.
Old Aug 21, 13, 12:10 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
Thanks for the words from the wise. There are hotels we want to try out from he Hilton Chain and having a perk or two in the back pocket with not much involved is where its at for us. We were talking about Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu tonite, on top of the hotels above. It's good to know its cheaper hotel rooms and that will mean getting a suite should be pretty affordable at these properties.

Currently checked into Hyatt Regency Maui tonite for the first time ever. Although we've walked the ocean path in years path, I never realized how nice of a property HR Maui is. There are lots to explore so can't really immerse unless we stay at the hotels and experience he offerings. I've got a lot of reading and research to do.

The few Marriott rooms we've seen briefly, last I recall in San Antonio, I wasn't too impressed with. So we never ended up staying at Mariott before. Hilton we've never experienced before, maybe like 20 years ago as a kid travelling with band at some low end hotel. We have friends who stayed at the Grand Wailea and Hilton Hawaiian Gillage and only have good things to say. So we are definitely open minded to exploring.

Can you upgrade to suites using points with any of these programs. That's the big thing with us are suites.
I'll try to give you as indepth and unbiased an answer as I can; I've spent a lot of nights in Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, and Starwood properties. So my loyalty to any single program is dependent on how they compare to other chains at any point in time. Every chain has its strong and weak points so it depends on how you prioritize perks.
It's been a while since I've been to Hawaii and I think the only Hilton property I've stayed at is the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Honolulu.

Let's first talk status. You should be able to find a way to get instant gold through a credit card promotion. This one's dead now but I got Gold through a similar process in 2012: http://boardingarea.com/milesquest/2...s-still-alive/ These promotions pop up regularly for gold status.
I'd then recommend a Diamond challenge. I don't know if you get Diamond status while doing the challenge, hence the reason why I'd recommend getting comped Gold. Here's the thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ges-comps.html
You could do the same with Marriott.

As you know, there's a variance between specific hotels in any brand. Hotel chains have brands that cover multiple price points; Hyatt has higher price points (and more aspirational experiences) than Hilton and Marriott. I consider Hilton and Marriott to cover nearly identical price points from low to high end. The top Hyatts are higher up on the high end and Hyatt's low end (Hyatt Place, Hyatt House) is better than Hilton and Hyatt low end.
The Hilton properties you've mentioned are on the high end of Hilton's offerings, so they should all be up to Hyatt standards.

Going generic Hilton vs Marriott, I'd give Marriott an advantage due to their high brand standards. But since you're mentioning resort properties, be aware that Marriott does not extend free breakfast to elites at most resort properties, where Hilton does.

Suites are a priority for you. In that case, I'd recommend that you mostly buy the suites with Marriott or Hilton and not count on upgrades. Yes, you can use points to upgrade to a suite with both Hilton and Marriott. See Room Upgrade Rewards: http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/earn-u...ing/index.html

Based on your desire for suites at resort locations, I'd go with Hilton over Marriott.
Old Aug 21, 13, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iflyjetz View Post
I'll try to give you as indepth and unbiased an answer as I can; I've spent a lot of nights in Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, and Starwood properties. So my loyalty to any single program is dependent on how they compare to other chains at any point in time. Every chain has its strong and weak points so it depends on how you prioritize perks.
It's been a while since I've been to Hawaii and I think the only Hilton property I've stayed at is the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Honolulu.

Let's first talk status. You should be able to find a way to get instant gold through a credit card promotion. This one's dead now but I got Gold through a similar process in 2012: http://boardingarea.com/milesquest/2...s-still-alive/ These promotions pop up regularly for gold status.
I'd then recommend a Diamond challenge. I don't know if you get Diamond status while doing the challenge, hence the reason why I'd recommend getting comped Gold. Here's the thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ges-comps.html
You could do the same with Marriott.

As you know, there's a variance between specific hotels in any brand. Hotel chains have brands that cover multiple price points; Hyatt has higher price points (and more aspirational experiences) than Hilton and Marriott. I consider Hilton and Marriott to cover nearly identical price points from low to high end. The top Hyatts are higher up on the high end and Hyatt's low end (Hyatt Place, Hyatt House) is better than Hilton and Hyatt low end.
The Hilton properties you've mentioned are on the high end of Hilton's offerings, so they should all be up to Hyatt standards.

Going generic Hilton vs Marriott, I'd give Marriott an advantage due to their high brand standards. But since you're mentioning resort properties, be aware that Marriott does not extend free breakfast to elites at most resort properties, where Hilton does.

Suites are a priority for you. In that case, I'd recommend that you mostly buy the suites with Marriott or Hilton and not count on upgrades. Yes, you can use points to upgrade to a suite with both Hilton and Marriott. See Room Upgrade Rewards: http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/earn-u...ing/index.html

Based on your desire for suites at resort locations, I'd go with Hilton over Marriott.
Thanks for all the links. I had a quick look at the Hilton rewards chart and they have a free night chart which breaks down the number of points required. Is there a chart with how many points are required to upgrade to a suite and how many nights per upgrade?

The free breakfast at resorts is making me think Hilton, and since the suites may be more accessible at Hilton, I think Hilton on a go forward Ill look more in detail into.