Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors versus Hyatt Gold Passport

Hilton Honors versus Hyatt Gold Passport

Old May 14, 2002, 12:57 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jetsetter:
Hilton Gold has free breakfast, ....

Some people will tell you, for example, that HH does not give them breakfast, but if that happens you need to call the manager on duty and be persuasive and I guarantee you will get your breakfast. I have never failed to get a breakfast at Hilton when I wanted it, and again, it is usually volunteered via a coupon or an upgrade to the executive floor that has the continental breakfast spread.
</font>
The rules say that with HH, you are entitled to a CONTINENTAL breakfast only if you are NOT upgraded. So, if one is upgraded and no lounge is available for breakfast, that's it. However, many Hilton properties exceed this rule.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K/ Hilton Diamond
Hilton vs. Hyatt points

I was wondering if it possible for someone that has Hyatt points to trade a 6 night stay with someone that has HH points. The reason that I bring this up is that I would like to someday go to the Kauai Hyatt, however, I have no status with Hyatt. I am a diamond member with HH. Are the points about the same value between the 2 hotels? Has anyone tried this trade before? Thanks!
Jay
Old Sep 5, 2002, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond/3MM; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC
I'm not sure how you'd do it, outside of finding a kind sole that's willing to swap.

As a Diamond member in both programs, I can tell you that there is a significant difference in the cost of a week at a Hyatt vs. a week at a Hilton in Hawaii.

For each dollar that I spend, Hilton gives me 15 points, but Hyatt only gives me 6.5 point. Hilton also has great promotions, like the CNTU where you get an extra 50,000 points.

Six nights at a Hilton in Hawaii costs 100,000 HHonors points, while the six nights at the Kauai Hyatt will cost 90,000 Gold Passport points.

If someone else knows of a method, I'd be interested in hearing about a way to move points back and forth.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 9:54 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Without doing the math, my guess is that Hyatt points are valued at 3:1 or higher.

[This message has been edited by hedoman (edited 09-05-2002).]
Old Sep 7, 2002, 5:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Since you can issue a Hilton cert in anyone's name, if Hyatt cert's can also be issued in anyone's name, it seems its just a matter of finding a willing Hyatt member who can make a Hilton stay work for them.

I'd try the Hyatt and the Coupon Connection forums. Perhaps a good angle would be to talk up a premier Hilton property, like a Conrad, or a famous property like the Waldorf. And you can use your knowledge of point stretchers to propose some potential exchanged that might tempt someone. It's kind of like those people who swap homes for vacations.

Let us know if and how it works out.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 9:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
HHonors Diamond vs Hyatt Diamond

I used to stay at the Stanhope in NY- no longer a hotel. Considering changing to Hilton to stay at the Waldorf. Would try for Diamond if it is worth it.I think the Hyatt Diamond program is excellent.
I would apprecite advice re: comparing the 2 programs.
Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond
There is a table on one of the main hotel's website that lists the details of all the major hotel loyalty programs.

Found it... on the Starwood site.

I have chosen HH because it has many more properties than Hyatt, plus I was able to get Gold in one of the HH promos, so now I give Hilton my business.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by infinityplusone; Mar 15, 2005 at 11:20 am
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Try head2head on Webflyer.com.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by infinityplusone
There is a table on one of the main hotel's website that lists the details of all the major hotel loyalty programs.

Found it... on the Starwood site.

I have chosen HH because it has many more properties than Hyatt, plus I was able to get Gold in one of the HH promos, so now I give Hilton my business.

Hope that helps.
That was an intersting table and I thank you for posting it.

However, it is interesting to note how some programs will shade their statements. SPG trumpets the fact that only it and Marriott have a Platinum toll free reservations number.

Of course, it does not mention that neither of the two omitting programs -- HHonors and Hyatt Gold Passport -- do not have a Platinum award tier level. Moreover, they both do have a top tier elite level which does provide such a toll free reservation number -- for its top tier Diamond members.

So much for true or meaningful accuracy in advertising.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Mar 15, 2005 at 12:06 pm
Old Mar 15, 2005, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mmgm
I used to stay at the Stanhope in NY- no longer a hotel. Considering changing to Hilton to stay at the Waldorf. Would try for Diamond if it is worth it.I think the Hyatt Diamond program is excellent.
I would apprecite advice re: comparing the 2 programs.
Thanks
I'm Diamond in both. Each has its strengths, but Hyatt recently scaled back its program. Hilton offers: 1) stay credit for award stays, 2) guaranteed award availability without capacity controls, 3) many more properties at a wide range of price points, 4) affinity credit cards and good point transfer ratio from American Air and Amtrak. Hyatt offers: 1) complimentary food and wine amenity throughout the U.S, 2) generous point bonus and free night offers at certain times (available to all), 3) arguably fancier properties especially overseas. Both chains offer free breakfast to Diamonds where club access is not available.

P.S. In NYC, both the Waldorf and the Millenium Hilton easily outshine the Grand Hyatt. Compared them all in suites this past weekend. At all levels, the Waldorf's customer service surpasses the Hyatt's, and more natural light penetrates the rooms.

Last edited by Explore; Mar 15, 2005 at 5:44 pm Reason: add point
Old Mar 19, 2005, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PP
I've been top tier on all three. Currently *Wood platinum (top tier), Platinum on Hyatt (sort of mid-tier), and Gold w/Hilton (expiring soon). I let the Hilton slide to 2 stays last year. I became totally annoyed with trying to use points for award rez and having to call in (before they upgraded the HHonors website). Plus the properties are not as nice as they used to be.

That said, the downside to Hyatt is less hotels to choose from and there is a seven day advance requirement when you book an award stay. Hence if you get a last minute airline ticket and want to pair it with an award stay, you can forget about Hyatt.

*Wood I'm generally happy with, but in many cities, no properties. Whereas you may be more likely to find a Hilton-related option.

What I'm getting at is you should have a main program and a backup program. As top tier, I got the best treatment at *Wood & Hyatt.

You really have to look at the cities & countries you travel to and see what hotel chains are represented there. Then haggle over what amenities are important to you.

BTW, not that you can do a 'search' these days, but last year (maybe 2 years ago) on the *Wood or Hyatt (thinking it was Hyatt) Forum a FTer was trying to decide between the major hotel chains and she spents days researching and typing up this huge matrix on Excel with pros & cons. She did a fantastic job so that's a resource to look out for.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA slave, DL hostage, HGP tool, HH captive, SPG reject
Originally Posted by suzy1K
That said, the downside to Hyatt is less hotels to choose from and there is a seven day advance requirement when you book an award stay. Hence if you get a last minute airline ticket and want to pair it with an award stay, you can forget about Hyatt.
the seven-day advance reservation is required only for booking award stays online. you can always call goldpassport CS to book the rooms. i have in the past reserved a room using both points and ffns on the day of arrival.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:01 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Thank you

for your comments.
I won't leave Hyatt, and I'm waiting to see if Hilton will offer me any type of match[ the original offer was to stay 20 nights within 90 days to receive Diamond status.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 1:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I am a current Hyatt Diamond, and Hilton Diamond for about a month now. I like Hyatt's program better because the 1-800 Check In people always get me an upgrade if they can and know how the program should work.

However, there are many places I travel where there are no Hyatts and Hyatt doesn't give stay credit for their economy brand. There are Hilton properties everywhere and I get full credit in all of them which is why I've chosen to go with Hilton.

I can also see a pretty big difference between Hilton gold and diamond. I've only been diamond for a month now, but was at about 10% on upgrades as a gold and about 75% as a diamond based on recent activity.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 4:17 am

Diamond Debate

I've been diamond with Hilton and Hyatt for the last couple of years, staying both in the U.S. and overseas. Most people seem to agree that Hyatt has far fewer properties than Hilton, although this may not be a factor depending on your particular travel patterns. (If there's no Hyatt in Timbuktoo, but you never go there, then it's not a problem!) Also, Hyatt is about to add another chain, AmeriSuites, beginning April 1.

I like the Faster Free Nights program that Hyatt offers periodically (not limited to Diamonds). But beyond that, I feel like I've generally had better service from Hyatt -- especially from their Diamond Desk and willingness to bend a rule here or there. It's not all that black and white, though, because I certainly have had some fine service at Hilton Hotels too, both in the U.S. and abroad. Also, there's very likely a Hilton family hotel most anywhere you go, at least in the U.S.

The Hyatt Diamond desk has consistently given me good to fantastic service. The Hilton Diamond desk is a wider range: great down to just mediocre. Your mileage may vary, of course. Even though Hyatt has made some changes in their program recently, if I absolutely had to choose one, I'd probably go with Hyatt. Ideally, I'll be able to keep them both.

One last thought: there continues to be confusion about the new "rolling tier qualifcation" prorgram with Hilton. Like many folks, I don't know if I'm really any better off now or not. This may be a plus or a minus, depending on your travel patterns and how you figure it out. ;-)

Just my 2 cents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.