Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Georgia, USA {US-GA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Georgia, USA {US-GA}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:45 pm

Savannah DeSoto or Doubletree

We are going here in April and can't decide which hotel to stay in. Also considering Hyatt. First time visitors, just 2 days, regular tourist attractions. Maybe Paula Dean restaurant. Would like advice from anyone who has stayed at any of these hotels! Thanks
Old Mar 22, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by adgtravel
We are going here in April and can't decide which hotel to stay in. Also considering Hyatt. First time visitors, just 2 days, regular tourist attractions. Maybe Paula Dean restaurant. Would like advice from anyone who has stayed at any of these hotels! Thanks
I lived there all of last year, so I cant really recommend a hotel, although we had a destination wedding there and all of our guests and wedding party were at the Hampton Inn Downtown, which is a very nice property.

Paula Deens is a good bet, try the Olde Pink House as well, thats where we had our reception, but if you go, eat at the tavern downstairs, the atmosphere and food are amazing! After two days, you'll wish you had booked for two weeks, there is a lot to do and see!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 2:11 pm

Savannah DeSoto or Doubletree

I was there last October and stayed at the Hampton Inn on Bay st. Nice and clean with a rooftop outdoor pool. Easy walk to almost everything. Mrs Wilkes and Planters Tavern are a Must! Wiley's BBQ is good. The Crab Shack on Tybee Island is great if you have kids. Paula Deen's is over rated I think. But worth walking through the gift shop.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, WN A-List Preferred & CP, Marriott Gold, American Platinum Pro, National Executive
Haven't eaten at Lady and Sons personally, however know several people who have and all say that it is not worth it. The tripadvisor reviews are not very impressive either...
Old Mar 22, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
We stayed at the DeSoto over a weekend in January and were very happy.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by dwcatty
We stayed at the DeSoto over a weekend in January and were very happy.
Although it gets mixed reviews on tripadvisor, I would have to 2nd your opinion simply because it is in the smack dab middle of the Historic District. It sits on the site of the old Desoto Hotel, and they have a nice tribute to it in the lobby with pictures etc. If they can get a corner room on a high floor, it's even better as they have larger baths and balconies. The Hyatt is in a great location next to the river. As for Paula Deens, just look at the bad reviews on trip advisor. A more authentic place is Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House which is rated #3 out of 412 restaurants in Savannah. It has been there forever and there is a reason why. Located in the Historic District, a little hard to find as there is no sign. Get there EARLY before they open or you will wait. I was born and live in Georgia and Savannah is my favorite city in the state. ^
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Omni Plat, Southwest A+ Pref
Originally Posted by bigbuy
Although it gets mixed reviews on tripadvisor, I would have to 2nd your opinion simply because it is in the smack dab middle of the Historic District. It sits on the site of the old Desoto Hotel, and they have a nice tribute to it in the lobby with pictures etc. If they can get a corner room on a high floor, it's even better as they have larger baths and balconies. The Hyatt is in a great location next to the river. As for Paula Deens, just look at the bad reviews on trip advisor. A more authentic place is Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House which is rated #3 out of 412 restaurants in Savannah. It has been there forever and there is a reason why. Located in the Historic District, a little hard to find as there is no sign. Get there EARLY before they open or you will wait. I was born and live in Georgia and Savannah is my favorite city in the state. ^
I spent a week at an B&B in Savannah this past June and loved it. One of the best meals we had was at the Pink House (and drinks downstairs before dinner). Paula Dean's is okay, but definately there for the tourists. Mrs Wilkes is tricky for its hours, if I remember correctly, but another excellent place to eat. Ask around once you get there too.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 5:01 pm

I wouldn't base you decision to vista Paula Deen's on tripadvisor reviews... those same reviews are what kept me from going the entire year i lived there, then when my family was out for my wedding, I reluctantly agreed we could go there as they really wanted to and I was so disappointed I didnt go earlier.

Any hotel in the historic district is well within walking distance of any sights you may wanna see downtown.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Old Key West
I spent a week at an B&B in Savannah this past June and loved it. One of the best meals we had was at the Pink House (and drinks downstairs before dinner). Paula Dean's is okay, but definately there for the tourists. Mrs Wilkes is tricky for its hours, if I remember correctly, but another excellent place to eat. Ask around once you get there too.
As I stated in my first post and reiterated by many... you must try the Pink House and the tavern downstairs... eating downstairs is amazing as well, same food, a lot different ambiance than upstairs.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Desoto is the best bet.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & CP, Delta Diamond, HH Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Paula Deens is an overhyped, crowded, noisy buffet with mass produced, greasy food. Total tourist trap! I'm probably one of the people who gave it a lousy review on TA.

As for hotels, the Desoto is nice, and the Hampton Inn is actually one of the better properties in Savannah. A Hampton with valet parking? Yup...

If you're not insistant on staying right in town, you might consider the brand new Embassy Suites over by the airport. That place is fantastic.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Hilton - Diamond, Starwood - Plat
I enjoy staying, and recommend, staying at the DeSoto - for the mattress on the bed. Last time I was there I had a nice corner room with balcony - and the bed is a tempur-pedic mattress. I wanted to do nothing but just lay there on the bed for the entire day.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
I stayed at the Hampton on Bay Street last December and would recommend it for the rooms and especially the location. The old Desoto is about five blocks away from the river and while not that far, I'd prefer to be close to Bay Street and the river.
Locals told me to avoid Paula Dean's place and I did. But I highly recommend the Old Pink House (very close to the Hampton). Great food and the cellar bar is very interesting.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by walttom
I stayed at the Hampton on Bay Street last December and would recommend it for the rooms and especially the location. The old Desoto is about five blocks away from the river and while not that far, I'd prefer to be close to Bay Street and the river.
Locals told me to avoid Paula Dean's place and I did. But I highly recommend the Old Pink House (very close to the Hampton). Great food and the cellar bar is very interesting.
Lots of votes for the Old Pink House and I must say I forgot to mention it on my original post. Ate there in 1983 and it still sticks in my mind. Maybe it's because that dinner was with my now ex (divorced in 1985) wife and I still love that woman Went back in 2009, stayed at the Hyatt (Priceline bid $65) and the power went out in the downtown area. Had a res at the Pink House and when we got there, the wait staff and chefs were sitting on the front steps as they had no power either, so don't know if it is as great as 1983, but me thinks so. As for the Hyatt, they comped the priceline bid so I could stay elsewhere, but I went back and walked up the stairs in the dark and stayed in a dark room with no lights or a/c as the key locks still worked and it was kinda cool being the only guest in that hotel (besides the security guards).
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:53 pm

Staying for two days? The answer for me is simple. One night at the Doubletree, the other at the Hilton Garden Inn across the street. Unless the 2nd quarter promotion is like this quarters.

And definitely go to Mrs. Wilkes'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.