Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton London Angel Islington {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Angel Islington {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by wizla
Arrived 2-30pm, no pre upgrade as hotel is sold out so I took the step of securing a top floor double guest room as booked, no upgrade on arrival but this is understandable.
Room to be fair is quite nice double is an English queen and comfy, view is of inner courtyard and near lift but is quiet, two waters, nice decor and a reasonable size.
Bathroom is ok, no bath but monsoon shower, again a reasonable size too.
Popped to lounge for a coffee at 3pm, no afternoon tea as such but Alpen bars and posh crisps ( chips if you are from the USA) .
Did notice that there was only take away cups ,and fridge has cans of cola and lemonade rather than bottles, no big deal but not very executive .
Now gonna use gym and then back to the lounge for evening service. I’m not expecting anything great but will engage an open mind ......will report back!
Arrived at lounge just after 6pm, it’s half full but is a very small lounge, it’s now 6-20 and nearly full ....strange hours here booze 5-8, canapés 6-8.
Probably the most disappointing canapés I’ve ever seen, tasty but poor selection.

BEERS - budvar

SPIRITS - none .

WNE - red white and rose ( no fizz )

CANAPÉS - chicken wings, tortilla chips, Italian ham on bruschetta, tomatoes on bruschetta and crudités.

My lady is vegetarian and is very disappointed......we are off to the gate restaurant which claims to be the best vegetarian restaurant in London so that’s the saving grace, it’s a 10min walk from hotel..
Will report back!
MoodyB and Winniesbestfriend like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:20 pm

....... lounge has emptied out now, just us and four others.....I thought this would be packed as the hotel is sold out but not the case.....some southern fried chicken strips have just appeared which are very nice indeed. Tastes identical to KFC.
I’m drinking budvar tonight as the wine is undrinkable......will report back!
MoodyB likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Budvar and tanker wine: not very executive is it?

Why don’t they have spirits? It’s in the brand standard. Litre of Gordon’s is £10 in Morrisons.

Is that just another example of a standard that applies to some hotels but the rest of them just ignore it and the muppet franchisees who respect the brand standard are laughed at by those who don’t. Corporate are pathetic at enforcing this.
MoodyB likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
Budvar and tanker wine: not very executive is it?

Why don’t they have spirits? It’s in the brand standard. Litre of Gordon’s is £10 in Morrisons.

Is that just another example of a standard that applies to some hotels but the rest of them just ignore it and the muppet franchisees who respect the brand standard are laughed at by those who don’t. Corporate are pathetic at enforcing this.
Very true, however I do like budvar beer, we left lounge at 8pm, I can recommend the gatehouse restaurant down the road , very nice, now about to retire , doing a gig tomorrow night in Camden and I need to be fresh..... will report back!
MoodyB likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:15 am

Very true, however I do like budvar beer, we left lounge at 8pm, I can recommend the gatehouse restaurant down the road , very nice, now about to retire , doing a gig tomorrow night in Camden and I need to be fresh..... will report back!
Up early, executive lounge closed today for a private event, breakfast to be taken in restaurant says the sign on the door, I only wanted to grab a coffee before I hit th gym and as there is no coffee machine in restaurant I have to ge one from the bar, this takes time and I’m in the wrong attire.
To be fair restaurant breakfast looks good but as the lounge won’t be open again until 6-30pm tonight what about those who want to grab a tea/coffee during today?....poor!.
Talking of the gym it’s on the 4th floor, it’s quite small but the equipment is new....... two treadmills, a cross trainer and a bench with free weights up to 20k, I was in there last night and it was empty.
I will use the gym again this morning and then onto breakfast.......will report back!
MoodyB likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: British Airways, Hilton Hhonors, Avis, Hertz
....... lounge has emptied out now, just us and four others.....I thought this would be packed as the hotel is sold out but not the case.....some southern fried chicken strips have just appeared which are very nice indeed. Tastes identical to KFC.
I’m drinking budvar tonight as the wine is undrinkable......will report back!
Disappointing to read that the wine offering has not improved and still a lack of spirits! :-/
Hopefully it was at least cleaner than my last visit there!
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by MoodyB
Disappointing to read that the wine offering has not improved and still a lack of spirits! :-/
Yep wine was rubbish !.........however breakfast was very nice, probably the best fruit selection I’ve seen.....nice coffee too.
Now about to check out and head over to Doubletree Tower of London.....will report back with my conclusion later.
MoodyB likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by MoodyB
They stopped putting out the spirits early last year from memory after they got cleaned out a couple of times by guests who clearly didn't mind abusing the hospitality. They will still offer some limited spirits from the bar, but you need to ask. Not sure on what system they currently have in place for it. At one point Diamonds got vouchers for the bar, specifically for spirits, but I think it then went down to more of a 'if you know, you ask' system with a few regulars. I haven't been since February, but no problem getting a few spirits when I asked.
MoodyB likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by RAPC
They stopped putting out the spirits early last year from memory after they got cleaned out a couple of times by guests who clearly didn't mind abusing the hospitality. They will still offer some limited spirits from the bar, but you need to ask. Not sure on what system they currently have in place for it. At one point Diamonds got vouchers for the bar, specifically for spirits, but I think it then went down to more of a 'if you know, you ask' system with a few regulars. I haven't been since February, but no problem getting a few spirits when I asked.
Wish I knew that last night I payed for a g and t at the bar for my lady as wine was awful.

Checked out swiftly and I’m on my way.

CONCLUSION- it’s not a bad hotel in fact it’s okay, the lounge is poor and probably the worst selection I’ve encountered but it was tasty, I would stay again but only for convenience not leisure

ROOM NO - 415

NEXT PLANNED STAY Doubletree Tower of London ( I’m here now )
MoodyB likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:29 pm

",,,we will be investing over a million pounds into the ground floor of the Hilton London Angel Islington this summer.

Enhancements include:
Remodeled Reception and Lobby area
Brand New Bar and Restaurant concepts
Brand New Grab and Go section
Brand New Executive Lounge

There will be some disruption to the ground floor between 13 May and 15 September 2019 in order for us to carry out these works. There will be no works on the bedrooms floors during this time.

Please Note: The Axis Bar & Restaurant will be closed between 13 May and 31 July. During this period we will be providing a very limited breakfast service at the hotel. The old Executive Lounge will be closed from 13 May until 15 September 2019 whilst we create a brand new larger Executive lounge."

Per hilton.com for the above, so I have award reservation as a Gold this summer for Red Sox/Yankees games. Thinking of switching to DoubleTree Islington, which does have an executive lounge, bus out front and Angel station 5 minutes away and access to a neighborhood with what appears to be interesting selection of restaurants,etc. Hilton 60,000 daily points works best for me and the Islington neighborhood seems to be a plus. Should I make the move as DT does have award availability?

MoodyB likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Macken7
",,,we will be investing over a million pounds into the ground floor of the Hilton London Angel Islington this summer.

Enhancements include:

There will be some disruption to the ground floor between 13 May and 15 September 2019 in order for us to carry out these works. There will be no works on the bedrooms floors during this time.

Please Note: The Axis Bar & Restaurant will be closed between 13 May and 31 July. During this period we will be providing a very limited breakfast service at the hotel. The old Executive Lounge will be closed from 13 May until 15 September 2019 whilst we create a brand new larger Executive lounge."

Per hilton.com for the above, so I have award reservation as a Gold this summer for Red Sox/Yankees games. Thinking of switching to DoubleTree Islington, which does have an executive lounge, bus out front and Angel station 5 minutes away and access to a neighborhood with what appears to be interesting selection of restaurants,etc. Hilton 60,000 daily points works best for me and the Islington neighborhood seems to be a plus. Should I make the move as DT does have award availability?

There is no shortage of restaurants in the area, there is also a really nice canal with a great riverside pub .
Macken7 and MoodyB like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: British Airways, Hilton Hhonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by Macken7

Enhancements include:

Concur with Wizla's comments...I will also add I don't mind the DT and after my last awful stay at HI, I actually preferred it in some ways. I seem to recall that I was given a generous amount of free adult beverages, which is always a ply in my book! ;-) DT is also a very easy walk from Angel Tube.
I'm very pleased to learn of the renovations, a new, larger EL will def tempt me back!
Macken7 and wizla like this.

Last edited by MoodyB; Apr 17, 2019 at 2:48 am Reason: Old age
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
I always preferred the Hilton to the DT, despite staying more at the DT recently. With a limited breakfast provision, plus all the associated renovation work, I would be 100% at the DT instead. Both hotels are close to all of the stuff in the area, so no real up or downside in terms of location by switching. The Hilton is a bit quieter in the rooms, whereas some at the DT are poorly noise proofed. That is about my only negative for the place though.
Macken7 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:24 am

There is no shortage of restaurants in the area, there is also a really nice canal with a great riverside pub .
My search for this "riverside pub" indicates The Narrowboat as the most likely place that you are talking about?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
My guess is that he was referring to The Island Queen, not far east of the Islington entrance to Regent's canal. I've walked by it and it gets good reviews, but I've never tried it. Also not far from this Islington entrance to the canal is the Charles Lamb, a nice small pub in a quiet neighborhood. I used to frequent The Bull, also on Upper Street, but I was horrified to discover last month that they refurbished the place since I was last there and got rid of their cask conditioned ales. For Sunday roast, I'd recommend The Crown Islington (116 Cloudesley Rd), a Fullers-owned pub with good food. It's a few blocks west of the Hilton in a quiet residential neighborhood, easily walkable.
Macken7 and MoodyB like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.