Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland {US-OR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland {US-OR}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:38 pm

Took a while, but two employees fired.

Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
And the article from the Oregonian, including the original video:

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...rom-hotel.html
GoodFastOrCheap likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Watched the video.

Man. That wasn’t good thinking on the security guard’s part. The manager just doubled down on his employee’s stupid.

I know when someone pulls out a phone and starts filming a complaint piece, you’ve missed - perhaps - their heated start/weirdness/etc. and only get the mid-confrontation response from the employee, but the gentleman’s tone sounded very under control, no anger or wanting to push or escalate. Manager wanted to escalate instead of de-escalate.

Ignoring claims of racism, motivational accusations, social issues, etc. - that was just really bad people skills and poor customer service. Unless there was a huge unreported affront from the customer that we haven’t seen, then the moment the manager found out the gent was a guest, he should have been in full backpedal apology mode.

But all the negative posts on IG and Yelp where people are wrongly claiming Hilton and Doubletree is corporately racist and such is silly. Individuals here, not institutional.

Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Watched the video.

Man. That wasn’t good thinking on the security guard’s part. The manager just doubled down on his employee’s stupid.

I know when someone pulls out a phone and starts filming a complaint piece, you’ve missed - perhaps - their heated start/weirdness/etc. and only get the mid-confrontation response from the employee, but the gentleman’s tone sounded very under control, no anger or wanting to push or escalate. Manager wanted to escalate instead of de-escalate.

Ignoring claims of racism, motivational accusations, social issues, etc. - that was just really bad people skills and poor customer service. Unless there was a huge unreported affront from the customer that we haven’t seen, then the moment the manager found out the gent was a guest, he should have been in full backpedal apology mode.

But all the negative posts on IG and Yelp where people are wrongly claiming Hilton and Doubletree is corporately racist and such is silly. Individuals here, not institutional.

The fact that the security guard was made aware that this person was staying in the hotel yet still the situation escalated in this manner is a bit odd to me. Once it was determined this person was staying there, that should have been the end of it. If they do not want people sitting in the lobby, they should take out the seating.

In locations with loitering problems in public areas of hotels, seating is removed, lobbies are locked up at night with controlled entry, things are done as "measures" to avoid situations from escalating to this level. Think of the Penn Station Hilton.
Dalewood and GoodFastOrCheap like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
That wasn’t good thinking on the security guard’s part. The manager just doubled down on his employee’s stupid.
Absolutely.

However, it's not clear to me that the other employee is actually a manager, or that a night manager has the authority to overrule a security guard.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by mauve
Absolutely.

However, it's not clear to me that the other employee is actually a manager, or that a night manager has the authority to overrule a security guard.
In my experience in the service industry, security guards don't make this kind of decision and certainly don't need to be "overruled". The manager or manager's designee would always be the decision maker, with the security guard simply providing support. A security guard's primary role is to be a visual deterrent to whatever behavior the establishment is trying to prevent. In some venues they may be tasked with checking bags, tickets/passes, room keys, etc, at the entrance. They may report suspicious activity to management. But they are not final arbiters and they're not cops. If the hotel in fact vests decision-making power to remove anyone from the lobby (a paying guest no less...) to a security guard, that is the first mistake and they need a thorough top-down review of their operations.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by wetrat0
In my experience in the service industry, security guards don't make this kind of decision and certainly don't need to be "overruled". The manager or manager's designee would always be the decision maker, with the security guard simply providing support. A security guard's primary role is to be a visual deterrent to whatever behavior the establishment is trying to prevent. In some venues they may be tasked with checking bags, tickets/passes, room keys, etc, at the entrance. They may report suspicious activity to management. But they are not final arbiters and they're not cops. If the hotel in fact vests decision-making power to remove anyone from the lobby (a paying guest no less...) to a security guard, that is the first mistake and they need a thorough top-down review of their operations.
I was trying to figure out if this guard was even a hotel employee or just a contracted third party security guard (very common in retail settings). But it appears as I look at the video that the security guard was in fact a hotel employee as he had a name tag from the hotel.

This security guard looks pretty intimidating in the photo from his uniform. Almost looks like a cop with weapons. I am sure this is in response to the out of control homeless/loitering problem that the City of Portland has failed to fix, but between appearance and then conduct, wow. You didn't used to see this kind of stuff in Portland... 10 years ago... how things change.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by wetrat0
If the hotel in fact vests decision-making power to remove anyone from the lobby (a paying guest no less...) to a security guard, that is the first mistake and they need a thorough top-down review of their operations.
Fair enough, but that is frequently how it works in large retail where loss prevention can report to a DM, RM, or even directly to the corporate office.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by mauve
Fair enough, but that is frequently how it works in large retail where loss prevention can report to a DM, RM, or even directly to the corporate office.
True, though I would view LP as different from general venue security. I don't think that kind of setup is appropriate for a hotel. To the other commenter who mentioned that it may be a response to the homeless problem, surely that may be the case but it would be more effective to check room keys at the front door. Having security roaming the building accosting people is practically begging for an incident like this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 8:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 2/6 to 2/7

Location: The hotel is located in the Lloyd District next to the Lloyd Center Mall which is currently open. The hotel is also right next to the MAX Light Rail which does run to PDX (though be advised the PDX station is closed, you have to get off at the penultimate stop and take a shuttle bus, I suggest a $20 Uber). You can easily walk to a liquor store, a Safeway and a bunch of restaurants which are doing takeout. The area seems very quiet and safe.

Hotel: The hotel is a massive concrete hulk that dominates the area. It has a large lobby which usually has event space that's currently closed. Speaking of closed, all restaurants save a tiny coffee shop and a very limited room service menu are closed. There's an outdoor pool which is open in summer months and a fitness center currently open by appointment. Do note the hotels front doors are locked at all times and require key card entry or being buzzed in.

Check In: Really friendly and helpful staff thanked me for my Diamond status, gave me bottles of water and cookies and were overall very nice to interact with.

Room: I'd paid for a larger king room with balcony and was moved to a higher floor with downtown view. The room was a little dated and had a lot of dead space but I appreciated the couch and desk and found the bed very comfortable. There are outlets next to the bed, there were no Wifi issues and soundproofing is okay not great. I was a little annoyed at the tiny bathroom and was surprised there was no fridge.

Breakfast: Diamonds get $15 credit at the coffee shop which covered a breakfast sandwich and two coffees.

Overall a good option for Portland especially if you don't mind being away from downtown.
markko likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.