Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does Hilton have an official policy for walking a Diamond?

Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For information on how to locate Hilton's current "walking" policies, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16853805-post9.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16660591-post430.html
Print Wikipost

Does Hilton have an official policy for walking a Diamond?

Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
I got walked this week at the HGI JAX Airport.

Even though the airport had every known chain brand hotel known to man surrounding it, they put me in the cheapest no name run down hotel in the area where the night desk clerk told me they put up lots of people daily walked from the HGI (I know, hearsay). It was 1am at this point and even though I should have made the effort to find another hotel on my own, I just stayed there and survived. I called the Diamond desk that night and they told me I was entitled to points as if I stayed the night, the room paid for by the HGI (which they did), and $200.

The next morning I went to talk to the HGI manager. I wanted to know why they didn't just call me where I could have made alternative arrangements, why they put me up in a total dump, and how do I get my $200. First he wouldn't see me because he was on a very important conference call that would last 2 hours. After I told the Asst Mgr he sent out about the $200, the manager came out. Rude wasn't the word for it. Told me he never heard ever about the $200 for walking a Diamond and as he turned around to leave, he said he would never pay me $200 so to just forget it.

I said I wasn't leaving until it was resolved and he said he would be on his call for hours. I told him I'd be waiting in the lobby until he was done.

I call the Diamond desk from the lobby, who then called the hotel. Finally the Diamond desk said they would mail me the check and charge back the hotel. I got a file number and left.

Thankfully the Diamond desk took care of me. I sure hope I get a survey!
sallyerd, ptownca and hi55us like this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by c502cid
I got walked this week at the HGI JAX Airport.

Even though the airport had every known chain brand hotel known to man surrounding it, they put me in the cheapest no name run down hotel in the area where the night desk clerk told me they put up lots of people daily walked from the HGI (I know, hearsay). It was 1am at this point and even though I should have made the effort to find another hotel on my own, I just stayed there and survived. I called the Diamond desk that night and they told me I was entitled to points as if I stayed the night, the room paid for by the HGI (which they did), and $200.

The next morning I went to talk to the HGI manager. I wanted to know why they didn't just call me where I could have made alternative arrangements, why they put me up in a total dump, and how do I get my $200. First he wouldn't see me because he was on a very important conference call that would last 2 hours. After I told the Asst Mgr he sent out about the $200, the manager came out. Rude wasn't the word for it. Told me he never heard ever about the $200 for walking a Diamond and as he turned around to leave, he said he would never pay me $200 so to just forget it.

I said I wasn't leaving until it was resolved and he said he would be on his call for hours. I told him I'd be waiting in the lobby until he was done.

I call the Diamond desk from the lobby, who then called the hotel. Finally the Diamond desk said they would mail me the check and charge back the hotel. I got a file number and left.

Thankfully the Diamond desk took care of me. I sure hope I get a survey!
Oh how I would have fun with this guy! They are saying their property is a dump too? That would read well on Trip Advisor! Yes, many hotels are separate businesses and can pretty much do what they want, but I'm sure the chain has hooks to entice conformance. This guy should get fined big time. And I hope HH throws you a chunk of points for the hassle.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Oh how I would have fun with this guy! They are saying their property is a dump too? That would read well on Trip Advisor! Yes, many hotels are separate businesses and can pretty much do what they want, but I'm sure the chain has hooks to entice conformance. This guy should get fined big time. And I hope HH throws you a chunk of points for the hassle.
He should definitely write a bad review on TA and if there is a thread for this property on this forum write a review there as well.

I'd recommending private messaging Lauren on here as well so she's aware of the situation if she isn't reading this thread so she can make sure that management is trained on how to handle a walk.

I've never understood why a hotel would walk a diamond anyway.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I've never understood why a hotel would walk a diamond anyway.
There are those that truly embrace being in the hospitality business and customer satisfaction is a goal knowing the $s will follow. Then there are those that just chase the $s and don't care how they get it or concerned about repeat business.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: DL PM
He should definitely write a bad review on TA and if there is a thread for this property on this forum write a review there as well.
OP, please do this. I was considering staying at this property this past summer but plans changed. I will now know not to stay there.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
If enough Hilton elites open cases, would that be grounds for dropping a franchise?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
This week, I received a call about 6 hours prior to check-in at an HGI in Florida. The agent said "We're over-booked tonight and checking to see if you're still planning on joining us tonight." I said "Yes, I am." I was travelling with a colleague who received an identical call about 30 minutes later.

I was in line at check-in and they were in the process of walking the guest who was in front of me. It didn't appear he had status. They had arranged his transportation and the stay at the alternate accommodation. The alternate accommodation was definitely a dump compared to this $199/night HGI. The guest was (understandably) frustrated.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
It seems a lot of situations like this could be avoided by checking in online, which I'm a big fan of.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:10 am

...so she can make sure that management is trained on how to handle a walk.
Her job isn't to train management on their jobs.

And it doesn't matter how much training anyone gets...they actually need to execute their training. Heck, the 'conference call' couldn't been a refresher on walking customers, but it doesn't mean the manager will follow protocol.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
From what I understand, 3rd party bookings of priceline, etc. are generally the first to walk in oversell situations. While we may feel that everybody and their sibling has elite status now, in reality it really should be a pretty dire situation where they actually, honestly need to walk Diamonds.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hi55us
It seems a lot of situations like this could be avoided by checking in online, which I'm a big fan of.
Not true, check my posts on the page before.

Checked in online the day before and still walked as a diamond member
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Her job isn't to train management on their jobs.

And it doesn't matter how much training anyone gets...they actually need to execute their training. Heck, the 'conference call' couldn't been a refresher on walking customers, but it doesn't mean the manager will follow protocol.

I know it's not her job but since she works in corporate she can escalate the complaint to the appropriate party. And it's just not knowing the proper treatment of walking a diamond, it sounds like this property regularly walks guests. I forgot he complained to the diamond desk though, if they got hit with a fine from the diamond desk it may make them aware of the policy
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
I did drop her a note to let her know of a hotel that I'm guessing is doing a ton of walking and putting everyone into a dumpy local hotel. I gave her the file number and who I was dealing with. She can take it from here if she wants. If I get a survey from Hilton I'll add a review to it. In the end I lived so it's done. Only 3rd time in 20 years I've been walked.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:14 pm

Update: This hotel just took it to another level. They charged my credit card for the stay that never happened.
missamo80 and hi55us like this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by c502cid
Update: This hotel just took it to another level. They charged my credit card for the stay that never happened.
Wow. Sounds like a bucket of incompetency.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.