Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does Hilton have an official policy for walking a Diamond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For information on how to locate Hilton's current "walking" policies, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16853805-post9.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16660591-post430.html
Print Wikipost

Does Hilton have an official policy for walking a Diamond?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
Preferential Gold is a status that can't be earned, it's awarded by a GM or sales manager to a frequent or high profile guest. They get this status for 3 years, regardless of their Hhonors activity. It provides the same benefits as Diamond, but you only get a 25% bonus on points instead of 50%. This includes the diamond force (or 'preferential gold force' as it might be called).
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Silver
e-checkin

Originally Posted by mnredfox
How do you handle if your elite guests aren't checked in yet and your non-elites want to check in?
I know this isnt pointed at me per se, but I used e-checkin the afternoon of the night I was scheduled to arrive. So again the hotel has no excuse and are paying for it. I will stay at the HME again, it was a good hotel after all.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by Hhonor Gguard
My unofficial policy don't walk your elite guests.

I don't have our official policy memorized because you don't freaking walk your elite guests.
Exactly!

From your other posts HhGg, I knew you have a very good comprehension of what excellent customer service means. Now I see you also have a sense of humor
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RKRocha
I know this isnt pointed at me per se, but I used e-checkin the afternoon of the night I was scheduled to arrive. So again the hotel has no excuse and are paying for it. I will stay at the HME again, it was a good hotel after all.
Well, a good reason to do echeckin. I would say more reason for a hotel to not walk you.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Well, a good reason to do echeckin. I would say more reason for a hotel to not walk you.
Just doing an e-checkin wouldn't assure the hotel won't walk you. I did an e-checking 2 times at the Fashion District hilton and both times the room I checked in for was given to someone else. No idea why a property would give away a room you do an e-check in for. But it makes no sense to walk an elite either if they have guaranteed their room with a credit card. Even if the guest is a no show and the room sits empty, the property still received their revenue from that night by charging the credit card on file
Old Aug 8, 2011, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
But it makes no sense to walk an elite either if they have guaranteed their room with a credit card. Even if the guest is a no show and the room sits empty, the property still received their revenue from that night by charging the credit card on file
It makes perfect sense, if you're a manager obsessed with squeezing out every last drop of revenue by trying to sell a room twice. That's the ugly truth.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
eCheckin is ignored by more properties than not. I used it when it first showed up and rarely got the room I checked into. It sounds great and makes for good marketing hype, but when they don't deliver why have it? Several properties I've been to lately have unplugged the kiosk in the lobby or restrict it to printing boarding passes.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RogerD408
eCheckin is ignored by more properties than not. I used it when it first showed up and rarely got the room I checked into. It sounds great and makes for good marketing hype, but when they don't deliver why have it? Several properties I've been to lately have unplugged the kiosk in the lobby or restrict it to printing boarding passes.
I have it work about 70% of the time.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
My unofficial policy don't walk your elite guests.

I don't have our official policy memorized because you don't freaking walk your elite guests.
How often when you are oversold do you end up with empty rooms at the end of the day/night from people randomly not showing up?

I have found e-checkin to be exactly what I have requested online, for the few properties that I knew had bigger conventions and such going on I would call early afternoon/evening to tell them when I would be in and inquire about if they were full. I know at MSP Hilton my booklet even had an E and check mark on the top corner.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:15 pm

deleted, company policy

Last edited by Hhonor Gguard; Dec 2, 2013 at 11:01 am Reason: deleted, company policy
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:17 pm

deleted, company policy

Last edited by Hhonor Gguard; Dec 2, 2013 at 11:01 am Reason: deleted, company policy
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:11 pm

If I was -1 I would rather walk a non-elite paying top dollar and hold the room for a DIA, regardless of rate, even if they ended up not showing.

Now, I am also of the firm belief that if we have a 6pm cxl policy and your cc declines for the first night's room and tax charges (ie, unable to bill a no show), then your reservation is no longer guaranteed. That's when I start making phone calls.
1st part good to know, we appreciate you doing that.

2nd part, makes sense.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I still believe that the hotel chain which offers a "never walk" guarantee to elites would gain some market share, particularly among frequent business travelers.
In 49 US states, it can't: the law doesn't allow eviction if a guest chooses to overstay.

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
The only time it might not be completely the hotel's fault are reports here that in some localities there are laws allowing guests to stay beyond their agreed checkout date, as long as they agree to continue paying, leaving hotel security and law enforcement officials powerless without a court order?
IIRC, every state except Hawaii.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If the hotel is oversold and a guest wants to stay wouldn't the GM have the option of charging the person staying more nights full rack rate?
Yes, and I've seen that done: A national meeting of a group in Phoenix in early July, that was supposed to leave a couple of days before the convention I was attending moved in. They were electing a new President; 100+ ballots later, they were still tied (which is why they overstayed). The hotel said it couldn't kick them out, but it would be raising their rates to full winter rack rates, and they couldn't have function space. They left.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:56 pm

Hilton walked me (Diamond) many years ago @ 2AM ... to a nearby (off-brand) motel. It was locked-up tight. Back to Hilton. Then to another off-brand operation that was an absolute pit. I had called them about my flight delays. Every call, they promised they were holding my room. I called'm once arriving at MSP. Yes, we're holding your room. Serial liars. Then, they charged me as a no-show.

Ritz Carlton walked us on our 10th anniv trip to Hawaii; booked thru AEXP PTS. RC was just a teeny bit apologetic, explaining that a group had extended and we'd only be able to spend 7:10 reserved nights at RC. I have zero status with Marriot/RC. PTS went to bat for us, and got us an exceptionally generous (resort credit) settlement ... and I have not spent a night in a Marriott property in 10+ years.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
As often as this topic comes up, I would think some clarification from our new Hilton Representative(s) would be GREATLY appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.