Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does Hilton have an official policy for walking a Diamond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For information on how to locate Hilton's current "walking" policies, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16853805-post9.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16660591-post430.html
Print Wikipost

Does Hilton have an official policy for walking a Diamond?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Silver
The only cash I received was to cover cab fare from/to the property to the other property, ~$35. The refund they have offered is 1night, $240.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Did they give you the $200 cash you were supposed to get?
How does one go about asking for this if not offered?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
In this case, I suspect the $240 night is meant as a substitute for the cash. I'd take it, just be sure to get credit for the points for both nights at the booked rate. With the current double points promo, that's rather a lot!

I was asking whether it had been offered. If I were ever threatened with walking I wouldn't leave without it.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:11 am

I have been walked once as a Diamond, in France. Was offered nothing. Just 'Sorry, we are fully booked now'. Had to pay full rate for room in other hotel - next door. No points, no compensation, no benefits (eg free brekkie that I would have got). Was very annoyed. Told me that no manager available at night.

Complained to hotel afterwards, with no response. Escalated to customer service, but they got no response from the hotel either. After several months they gave me a BMG certificate since they 'gave up' with getting a response from the hotel.

Not impressed. But ever since that hotel have been VERY good to me, and always remember me!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by mnredfox
How does one go about asking for this if not offered?
Tell them you know it's a benefit and if the desk clerk isn't aware of it, ask for the manager on Duty.

One time I had a flight that ended up being delayed severly for weather conditions and a cell phone tower must have be knocked out due to the storm because I wasn't able to get a signal and call the hotel. Know that I think about it I should have called as soon as I laned but it was so late and I rea`ely didn't feel like trying to find the hotel number, etc and got to the property at around 3 a.m. to find out my hotel room had been given away. I was told that since it was so late they gave away my room (even though it was guaranteed with a credit card).

I had to argue with the desk clerk and he was unaware of the policy. I was walked from a hampton to an HGI only a couple blocks away (which is a hotel I prefered any but was a lot more per night that weekend) and I just went back the next morning the next afternoon and got my room for the second night and talked to the manager on duty. He said he could only give me $50 (and I am not sure if it is less at a hampton or he wasn't aware of the policy). I just took the $50 figuring I was walked to a better hotel with a much better breakfast (the HGI honored my breakfast benefit) and a free night.

One problem I did run into was my credit card was charged for a no show which really iritated me. I just called the GM at the Hampton and he credited it right back.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by 2035
But ever since that hotel have been VERY good to me, and always remember me!
You mean that same hotel? I would not have ever stayed there again myself, but they can afford to be "good" to you after scamming you like that!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
This is another area where Hilton really sucks.

I was walked as a Diamond at a Homewood Suites back in January to a Marriott Courtyard. After a massive amount of tooth pulling, I finally got:

- 40k points
- BMG Certificate for one night at any Homewood Suites
- Paid for my night and breakfast at the Courtyard (only after initiating a chargeback to Amex because the Courtyard ended up billing me even though it was supposed to have been taken care of).

I never got my stay credit or points, but I have since given up. The Diamond Desk didn't give a crap, nor the hotel, nor customer relations. Took forever (months) to get everything they had promised. $100? Ha. I guess not for me.

Thankfully, this is the only time I have ever been walked.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:08 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by ringbark
What's a "Preferential Gold VIP"? Diamond VIP I know and Gold VIP I know, but a "preferential gold"...that's yet another new term for me. Does it, perhaps, mean a Gold VIP who earned the status "the hard way"?
I picked up the same message in the earlier post - is a "preferential gold VIP" different than a "gold VIP"??
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Tell them you know it's a benefit and if the desk clerk isn't aware of it, ask for the manager on Duty.

One time I had a flight that ended up being delayed severly for weather conditions and a cell phone tower must have be knocked out due to the storm because I wasn't able to get a signal and call the hotel. Know that I think about it I should have called as soon as I laned but it was so late and I rea`ely didn't feel like trying to find the hotel number, etc and got to the property at around 3 a.m. to find out my hotel room had been given away. I was told that since it was so late they gave away my room (even though it was guaranteed with a credit card).

I had to argue with the desk clerk and he was unaware of the policy. I was walked from a hampton to an HGI only a couple blocks away (which is a hotel I prefered any but was a lot more per night that weekend) and I just went back the next morning the next afternoon and got my room for the second night and talked to the manager on duty. He said he could only give me $50 (and I am not sure if it is less at a hampton or he wasn't aware of the policy). I just took the $50 figuring I was walked to a better hotel with a much better breakfast (the HGI honored my breakfast benefit) and a free night.

One problem I did run into was my credit card was charged for a no show which really iritated me. I just called the GM at the Hampton and he credited it right back.
Almost was walked once, now I regret I wasn't. Good to know for the future.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:35 am

deleted, company policy

Last edited by Hhonor Gguard; Dec 2, 2013 at 11:02 am Reason: deleted, company policy
Old Aug 6, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: Any status I once had is gone!
Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
I picked up the same message in the earlier post - is a "preferential gold VIP" different than a "gold VIP"??
I have two thoughts on what a preferential gold VIP may be:
1. Gold with Hilton credit card
2. Gold with long-standing history of being either gold or diamond (>20 years)

Of course I could be entirely off the mark.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hhonor Gguard
My unofficial policy don't walk your elite guests.

I don't have our official policy memorized because you don't freaking walk your elite guests.
I tend to agree the room is paid for either way no matter how late they show up.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only time it might not be completely the hotel's fault are reports here that in some localities there are laws allowing guests to stay beyond their agreed checkout date, as long as they agree to continue paying, leaving hotel security and law enforcement officials powerless without a court order?

I had thought the property GM would be forced to justify the decision to Hilton, but from reading these posts, that seems to have had little effect.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Hhonor Gguard
My unofficial policy don't walk your elite guests.

I don't have our official policy memorized because you don't freaking walk your elite guests.
How do you handle if your elite guests aren't checked in yet and your non-elites want to check in?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
The only time it might not be completely the hotel's fault are reports here that in some localities there are laws allowing guests to stay beyond their agreed checkout date, as long as they agree to continue paying, leaving hotel security and law enforcement officials powerless without a court order?

I had thought the property GM would be forced to justify the decision to Hilton, but from reading these posts, that seems to have had little effect.
If the hotel is oversold and a guest wants to stay wouldn't the GM have the option of charging the person staying more nights full rack rate?

That is a good point though about how a hotel could be oversold. But if they knew someone was going to be staying additional nights, they would know that before check in time and could just walk a non-elite as opposed to an elite guest that day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.