Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Michigan, USA {US-MI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Michigan, USA {US-MI}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by aztimm
Wow this is a quiet thread. I guess no one is visiting Michigan

Does anyone have any thoughts on the area near Gregory/Hell, MI?

From what I can tell, Brighton, MI isn't too far, and the Homewood Suites there gets decent reviews (has decent prices). Ann Arbor wouldn't be too far either. I'm kind of flexible, but would like to be within 30 min of Gregory (I'm planning to do a swim event there that starts at an early hour).

Thanks!
I live near Jackson, which is also within your travel radius of Hell, but I would not recommend staying here. Jackson has an under-capacity of hotel rooms right and they are pretty pricey for what's available in a small town. There are 5 new hotels currently under construction so that will hopefully change in the near future.

Where are you coming from? Since I live here I don't often stay in area hotels and don't have much experience staying in Brighton or Ann Arbor. But if you're coming from DTW, I'd probably stay around Ann Arbor, as it's on the way to Hell and there's more to do in that area than Brighton.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
I live near Jackson, which is also within your travel radius of Hell, but I would not recommend staying here. Jackson has an under-capacity of hotel rooms right and they are pretty pricey for what's available in a small town. There are 5 new hotels currently under construction so that will hopefully change in the near future.

Where are you coming from? Since I live here I don't often stay in area hotels and don't have much experience staying in Brighton or Ann Arbor. But if you're coming from DTW, I'd probably stay around Ann Arbor, as it's on the way to Hell and there's more to do in that area than Brighton.
If you’re looking at Ann Arbor, also look at Novi. The Doubletree there is reasonable, and a Homewood will open up later this year right next door. There’s also an HGI in Novi West Oaks; across the parking lot is a Buddy’s, which has Detroit-style deep dish pizza.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz

Originally Posted by sannmann

If you’re looking at Ann Arbor, also look at Novi. The Doubletree there is reasonable, and a Homewood will open up later this year right next door. There’s also an HGI in Novi West Oaks; across the parking lot is a Buddy’s, which has Detroit-style deep dish pizza.

I'll fly in/out of DTW. But the flight in arrives really late on a Friday (around midnight). It is a 3-night stay (including that late night).
The swim begins/ends in the Pickney Recreation Area, Halfmoon Lake; has a Gregory address, but looks closer to Hell. I'd like to be fairly close to there, as it has a crazy early start time (6:30am). It is called Swim to the Moon.
Much of my Saturday will be sleeping in then heading to a clinic at the site of the swim (and to figure out where it will be the next day). Probably get some snacks/water from a supermarket.
Sunday will be the swim early, then probably head back to the hotel and relax for a bit.
After I check-out on Monday, before my flight (3:30pm), I want to make a run up to Flint to pick up some Dawn Donuts (my other half is from that area and they're a local favorite), maybe grab a Halo Burger, see the Monument to Joe Lewis (if I have time), then head to the airport (probably 4-5 hours for all that).
If I have time, I have a friend who lives in Hillsdale and would like to visit with her. Either late Saturday or Sunday. Not sure if I'd go down there or she'd go to where I'm at (she wants to watch the swim, but I told her she'd see me swim out for maybe 3 minutes, then nothing until I swim in at the end).

Based on all that, it sounds like Ann Arbor might match up the best?
I have a reservation at the Homewood Suites in Brighton, but I can cancel without penalty. Especially when traveling for an event like that, I like having a full fridge and freezer for drinks and water plus ice. It looks like there's a Starbucks, Chipotle, and other stuff all nearby.
The Hampton Ann Arbor-West looks like a decent location but the rates are $80 or so higher. Is it worth the premium?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:36 am

I'll fly in/out of DTW. But the flight in arrives really late on a Friday (around midnight). It is a 3-night stay (including that late night).
The swim begins/ends in the Pickney Recreation Area, Halfmoon Lake; has a Gregory address, but looks closer to Hell. I'd like to be fairly close to there, as it has a crazy early start time (6:30am). It is called Swim to the Moon.
Much of my Saturday will be sleeping in then heading to a clinic at the site of the swim (and to figure out where it will be the next day). Probably get some snacks/water from a supermarket.
Sunday will be the swim early, then probably head back to the hotel and relax for a bit.
After I check-out on Monday, before my flight (3:30pm), I want to make a run up to Flint to pick up some Dawn Donuts (my other half is from that area and they're a local favorite), maybe grab a Halo Burger, see the Monument to Joe Lewis (if I have time), then head to the airport (probably 4-5 hours for all that).
If I have time, I have a friend who lives in Hillsdale and would like to visit with her. Either late Saturday or Sunday. Not sure if I'd go down there or she'd go to where I'm at (she wants to watch the swim, but I told her she'd see me swim out for maybe 3 minutes, then nothing until I swim in at the end).

Based on all that, it sounds like Ann Arbor might match up the best?
I have a reservation at the Homewood Suites in Brighton, but I can cancel without penalty. Especially when traveling for an event like that, I like having a full fridge and freezer for drinks and water plus ice. It looks like there's a Starbucks, Chipotle, and other stuff all nearby.
The Hampton Ann Arbor-West looks like a decent location but the rates are $80 or so higher. Is it worth the premium?
Sounds like the Brighton Homewood Suites might be your best best based on everything you're doing. It's a little farther from DTW on Friday night, but it's closer to your swim, as well as Flint. It is a bit farther from Hillsdale though. The Ann Arbor Hampton West is a good location, but I wouldn't pay the extra.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
, maybe grab a Halo Burger,
**drools**

Don't forget a Boston Cooler!
aztimm likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like the Brighton Homewood Suites might be your best best based on everything you're doing. It's a little farther from DTW on Friday night, but it's closer to your swim, as well as Flint. It is a bit farther from Hillsdale though. The Ann Arbor Hampton West is a good location, but I wouldn't pay the extra.
I think the weekend I'm looking at may be move-in weekend for school in Ann Arbor. Aug 17-20? That might be why hotels there are a little higher.

I'll definitely let the hotel know that I'll be a *very late* arrival, so they don't cancel or give away my room.

Originally Posted by aww3583
**drools**

If there was a way to get a Halo Burger to keep I'd try to bring one back home. But I think we'll have to settle for some nuttys from Dawn.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:22 pm

Ok, plans may be shifting...a few more people coming to Michigan and we're looking at properties in Ann Arbor (thankfully I can cancel my other). There are 4 HHonors properties in Ann Arbor:
* Hampton West (also a suites)
* Hampton North
* Hampton South
* Hilton Garden Inn

The prices have actually dropped substantially, all are $115-119/night, so that isn't an issue. West might be a hair closer for driving to the Pickney Rec Area early on Sunday, but I don't think it is a make or break deal.
Anyone have a favorite?

There will be at least 1 other person joining, possibly a 3rd, in addition to our friend who lives down near Hillsdale. I was going to meet her in Ann Arbor anyway for dinner, so this makes things easier (plus maybe a little closer to/fr DTW).
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:52 am

Ok, plans may be shifting...a few more people coming to Michigan and we're looking at properties in Ann Arbor (thankfully I can cancel my other). There are 4 HHonors properties in Ann Arbor:
* Hampton West (also a suites)
* Hampton North
* Hampton South
* Hilton Garden Inn

The prices have actually dropped substantially, all are $115-119/night, so that isn't an issue. West might be a hair closer for driving to the Pickney Rec Area early on Sunday, but I don't think it is a make or break deal.
Anyone have a favorite?

There will be at least 1 other person joining, possibly a 3rd, in addition to our friend who lives down near Hillsdale. I was going to meet her in Ann Arbor anyway for dinner, so this makes things easier (plus maybe a little closer to/fr DTW).
Unfortunately I don't have any personal experience with any of these. The Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton South are located near the Briarwood Mall, with a lot of the typical chain restaurants in the area. The Hampton West is a little more remote, but located right by my favorite Ann Arbor restaurant--Zingerman's Roadhouse. I'm not as familiar with the area of the Hampton Inn North.

Travel wise, there won't be much difference in time to drive to/from any of them on the weekend. During the week, traffic can get backed up quite a bit around the Hampton South/Garden Inn area at normal rush hour times.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:54 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Biggest Embassy Suite I\'ve stayed, Friendly service

Embassy Suites Detroit-Troy/Auburn Hills

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

850 Tower Dr Troy, MI US 48098

Biggest Embassy Suite I've stayed, Friendly service (5 Photos)

The hotel is located in the middle of a office/business park area.  There is not much around, with a small square with different shops and some restaurants about 5 min drive or 15-20 mins walk from the hotel.  However this has to be the largest Embassy Suite that I have been to in the US.  The hotel is about 20 mins from Auburn Hills/Great Lakes Outlet mall.

Check In

Arrived late afternoon and unfortunately the hotel was having issues with the keycard system, therefore the line checking in was 5-6 person deep and each person took more than 5 mins to complete the registration.  Due to this, the only way for guests to enter their room was with the master card, and therfore, each guests were being brought to their room by a staff.  Despite this, the staff was still calm, friendly and apologetic of the situation.  It took me about 30 mins before I reached my room, but this was understandable.

Room

I was given a room on the 6th floor, a one bed room suite.  Room was spacious and clean.  I would say it was your typical Embassy Suite room.  Room was facing some office buildings and the highway.  The noise insolation seems good as I was too much disturbed by the sounds of cars from the highway from the bed room.

The living room was facing the foyer of the hotel, which here the noise insulation was slightly worst, as you could hear the noise from guests down in the middle of the foyer where the bar/restaurant is located.  Not a real problem if you have the TV on and from the bedroom, you don't hear this.

Bathroom was of normal size with a good water pressure and temperature control.  Amenities was the usual Neutrogena brand. 

Due to the issue with the keycard system, wifi did not initally work, but later when this was fixed, internet speed is ok.  As an Elite member, did get the premium speed after logging into with your HHonors login.  

Sleep was good, though the walls are rather thin as I could hear in the beginning my neighbours bed creaking.  The same later in the morning.  (Since mine was a connecting room with the connecting door, I could hear most of my neighbours conversation when in the living room).

There is a TV in the living room and smaller one in the bed room.  

LivingRoom.jpgRoom1.jpg1_Room2.jpg

Dining

The evening Manager Receptions was once of the more luxurious one's that I've experience from drinks choices point of view, they had about 5-6 different cocktails, wines, beers and non-alcoholic drinks.  Each guests are limited to 3 cockatils where they mark it on a card provided at check-in.  However from food point, it was very limited with nuts/chips and vegtables sticks.  

During my stay, the hotel was very full, so lines for the drinks at the bar was rather long from the start of the reception and did shorten later closer to the end of the reception hour.  Did not try the food, so not sure of the quality, but for the drinks, it was good, in fact much better than at times what you pay at bars.

Breakfast had a good spread and the omelet station was very good.  

Service

In general, most of the staff were friendly and always ready to help.  Only small comment is that outside of my room, there were dishes and glasses left which should have been picked up, but until the next day, nothing was cleared up.  Saw quite a number of rooms with these utensils left outside and not picked up.  Not that this bothered me, but still leaving it overnight does not reflect well.

Overall

Overall an OK hotel with friendly staff.  The manager reception (which was also during the weekends) was good and breakfast spread was good.  Besides the few small noise related incidents, I would stay again at the property if I am in the area.  Usual elite benefits.

Also one of the more unique Embassy suite that I've stayed in with a large foyer which I normally only experience at properties outside of the US or in major US cities and the more full service hotels, e.g. like Hilton.

1_Foyer1.jpg1_Foyer2.jpg

Biggest Embassy Suite I've stayed, Friendly service

Would you like to write a review on the Embassy Suites Detroit-Troy/Auburn Hills?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:29 pm

Just as a follow-up, I did stick with the Homewood Suites in Brighton.
It was a bit of a slog from DTW (especially with a very late arriving flight and a mess at Hertz). I had called the day prior to let them know I'd be very late. When I walked in at nearly 2am, the clerk and someone with her asked me, "are you Mr. aztimm?"

In appearance, the hotel seems like a normal Homewood Suites. But the staff here really make the place shine. And I mean all of the staff--from the front desk clerks, to the cleaning people, to maintenance (had something odd with a TV), etc. Heck even when he was taking out the trash one guy said, "Good morning," when he saw me walking to my car. The cleaner was extremely nice and flexible...I wasn't quite ready for her to clean once and asked for 30 min. After I got back, the suite was done. And everything cleaned, everywhere.
One thing I really like about smaller properties, like Homewood, is that they have more than one entrance/exit. You can be from room to car in 2 minutes, versus a larger property.
I had reserved a 1 bed/1 bath suite, and that is what I received. It worked out well...the friend did end up coming up for 2 nights, but he slept on the pull-out It was nice having the living area, as the other friend (who lives in Hillsdale) also hung out with us for a bit. This is one of the few times I've actually used the outside area of a Homewood, and it is really nice to have decent furniture out there.
The first morning, both treadmills in the fitness center were broken (yes I tried what I thought may work). As I changed a bill from the front desk I mentioned it. One of them was working on my last morning (I did a LONG swim the middle day so didn't need to visit the fitness center).

As far as location, the hotel is fairly well-positioned in Brighton. There's a Meijer Supermarket almost within walking distance (if you've never been, you must visit!) There's a cute little downtown area maybe a 5 minute drive. Plus there's typical chain restaurants even closer (possibly walkable).
Brighton itself was fairly well-positioned for my needs. Other than the late drive from DTW, it was about 30 min to Hell. My swim was about 10 min from there. We had dinner in Howell one night, maybe 10-15 min away. It was about 45-50 min up to Flint.
The area was amazing! Everything was so green, the temperature was perfect (highs in the low 80s), and there seem to be lakes almost everywhere.

Originally Posted by aww3583
**drools**

I did get a Boston Cooler for my drive from Flint down to Detroit!
There was a Halo Burger right off of the I-75 at Pierson Rd (oddly it didn't show up on my map app but I could see the sign from the freeway).
Evidently Dawn Donuts' original location was torn down back in 2013, and there's a new building there now, still on Clio. It has the original sign on the highway.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:07 am

Just as a follow-up, I did stick with the Homewood Suites in Brighton.
It was a bit of a slog from DTW (especially with a very late arriving flight and a mess at Hertz). I had called the day prior to let them know I'd be very late. When I walked in at nearly 2am, the clerk and someone with her asked me, "are you Mr. aztimm?"

In appearance, the hotel seems like a normal Homewood Suites. But the staff here really make the place shine. And I mean all of the staff--from the front desk clerks, to the cleaning people, to maintenance (had something odd with a TV), etc. Heck even when he was taking out the trash one guy said, "Good morning," when he saw me walking to my car. The cleaner was extremely nice and flexible...I wasn't quite ready for her to clean once and asked for 30 min. After I got back, the suite was done. And everything cleaned, everywhere.
One thing I really like about smaller properties, like Homewood, is that they have more than one entrance/exit. You can be from room to car in 2 minutes, versus a larger property.
I had reserved a 1 bed/1 bath suite, and that is what I received. It worked out well...the friend did end up coming up for 2 nights, but he slept on the pull-out It was nice having the living area, as the other friend (who lives in Hillsdale) also hung out with us for a bit. This is one of the few times I've actually used the outside area of a Homewood, and it is really nice to have decent furniture out there.
The first morning, both treadmills in the fitness center were broken (yes I tried what I thought may work). As I changed a bill from the front desk I mentioned it. One of them was working on my last morning (I did a LONG swim the middle day so didn't need to visit the fitness center).

As far as location, the hotel is fairly well-positioned in Brighton. There's a Meijer Supermarket almost within walking distance (if you've never been, you must visit!) There's a cute little downtown area maybe a 5 minute drive. Plus there's typical chain restaurants even closer (possibly walkable).
Brighton itself was fairly well-positioned for my needs. Other than the late drive from DTW, it was about 30 min to Hell. My swim was about 10 min from there. We had dinner in Howell one night, maybe 10-15 min away. It was about 45-50 min up to Flint.
The area was amazing! Everything was so green, the temperature was perfect (highs in the low 80s), and there seem to be lakes almost everywhere.

I did get a Boston Cooler for my drive from Flint down to Detroit!
There was a Halo Burger right off of the I-75 at Pierson Rd (oddly it didn't show up on my map app but I could see the sign from the freeway).
Evidently Dawn Donuts' original location was torn down back in 2013, and there's a new building there now, still on Clio. It has the original sign on the highway.
Glad you enjoyed your trip! Meijer is a nice one-stop-shop and my go-to on a weekly basis, but my wife is from Georgia and still misses Publix...
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
A Tale of Two Hampton Inns

Recently stayed at the Hampton Inn in Battle Creek and the Hampton Inn in Okemos. Some observations - if you stay at the Battle Creek, ask for an odd numbered room. Even numbered rooms face the Interstate and it can be very loud at night, even with the complimantary earplugs provided in the room. In retrospect, that should have been a tell tale sign

The propery in Okemos was great...a little off the beaten track but overall a nice property that seems to have been redone recently. Room size is much larger than the Battle Creek property.

Happy travels !
Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:21 am

Programs: Delta basic after Gold; HHonors, Diamond; Marriott/SPG Plat; IHG/PCR Plat; Avis, Hertz
Kalamazoo, Michigan, Hilton Garden Inn or Home2Suites?

Has anyone stayed at the HGI or Home2Suites downtown Kalamazoo? It looks like they are in the same building... They both have the same address and photos on the website. I think I am going to go with Home2Suites, although HGI looks like it has some pretty cool rooms, too. If anyone has info to share, I would appreciate it - Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
You earn more points at the HGI than at the Home2, even if the rate is the same. Is that a consideration?
IrisT likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 5:24 am

Programs: Delta basic after Gold; HHonors, Diamond; Marriott/SPG Plat; IHG/PCR Plat; Avis, Hertz
Good point about the points earning; I had not considered that. The rates are similar. This is a combination business/leisure trip, and I was looking more at room amenities and breakfast. I suppose HGI would at least give us continental breakfast... Some HGIs have amazing suite rooms, although I did not see any at this hotel. Thank you for the food for thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.