Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Waterfront Beach Resort, A Hilton Hotel {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Waterfront Beach Resort, A Hilton Hotel {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:51 am

Hi, i was just there in late June. Here is a link to my yelp review:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-waterfro...ilU0xixh85WSbQ

Feel free to PM with any questions. Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I never stayed at this hotel, but did spend most of a day on the beach right in front of it, when we were taking a break from Disneyland.

For a Chicago/Midwest guy, it was pretty impressive.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:35 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Don't miss a chance to have a Jan's smoothie... inside the Jack's Surfboard shop-- on the corner of PCH and Main.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I never stayed at this hotel, but did spend most of a day on the beach right in front of it, when we were taking a break from Disneyland.

For a Chicago/Midwest guy, it was pretty impressive.
Huntington Beach is awesome. One of my favorite beach towns. I'm a born and raised Californian.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: HH diamond
Looking at Nov 1-3 for a points stay. Really want an oceanfront, should I risk it and book the base at 50k/night, hoping for diamond upgrade or oceanfront at 65k/night? TIA!
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:41 pm

I stayed in late June as a gold and was upgraded to an ocean view. No such thing as ocean front here as the beach is across the pch. Since it's low season I think it's a good bet you will get upgraded.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
I stayed in late June as a gold and was upgraded to an ocean view. No such thing as ocean front here as the beach is across the pch. Since it's low season I think it's a good bet you will get upgraded.
Thank you!

Is there a bus or shuttle service from LAX? Since everything seems close and there is a local shuttle, I figured it might be less to do that rather then get a car and pay the $30/night valet.

Last edited by feeth; Oct 28, 2013 at 9:13 am
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by feeth
Thank you!

Is there a bus or shuttle service from LAX? Since everything seems close and there is a local shuttle, I figured it might be less to do that rather then get a car and pay the $30/night valet.
Public transport is not the best in LA. there are some services though, none that I have used though. The valet payment is painful and unfortunately there is no easy way around it. You could park at the beach across the street as long as you remembered to move your car periodically and paying the fee. Works out to be much less than the valet.

The walk down to the huntington beach "square" isn't that far but if you are traveling with little ones like we were their little feet get a bit tired so i would suggest having strollers...I am sure you know this already though
Old May 9, 2015, 12:04 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I mentioned that we were celebrating an anniversary in the comments' section and was upgraded to the Catalina suite, 1126. A nice card from concierge Tamara accompanied iced champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries. A nice touch, particularly as it was a points' stay: something that shouldn't make a difference, but seems to sometimes.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Any FTer stays here in the past year or so? Considering this hotel for a February weekend in 2017.

Last year, we spent two night at the Hyatt and loved it, even though we held no status. We had the Hyatt credit card certs, which we don't have this time. Now we have 1 Hilton credit card night, plus I'd just use points or pay for subsequent nights. Since this hotel is apparently owned by the same people who own the Hyatt, is it fair to assume it's similar quality?

Being off-season, we were able to park overnight across the street at the beach. One night we did it without talking to anyone about it. The 2nd night, the concierge at the Hyatt said we really should have a hangtag in the car saying we were an overnight guest (which he gave us for free). Has anyone done this during a Hilton stay?

What's the current Diamond breakfast situation?

Are the standard rooms nice? I know not to expect upgrades from Hilton anymore...
Old Nov 10, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pinniped
Since this hotel is apparently owned by the same people who own the Hyatt, is it fair to assume it's similar quality?
The rooms are of similar quality to Hyatt's, but the grounds obviously aren't as sprawling. There's also no spa, if that's of any interest.

Otherwise, staff are friendly and helpful, and dining options are reasonably good.

Being off-season, we were able to park overnight across the street at the beach. One night we did it without talking to anyone about it. The 2nd night, the concierge at the Hyatt said we really should have a hangtag in the car saying we were an overnight guest (which he gave us for free). Has anyone done this during a Hilton stay?
My corporate rate includes parking, so I've only used the hotel's valet service.

What's the current Diamond breakfast situation?
A bit disappointing. The hotel issues two $10 vouchers per night for the on-site coffee shop, Surf Hero Market. A $10 voucher just about covers a breakfast sandwich and a coffee. The voucher cannot be used toward the breakfast buffet in main restaurant.

Are the standard rooms nice? I know not to expect upgrades from Hilton anymore...
Yes, the standard rooms are nice, and pretty much exactly as pictured on Hilton.com.

Keep in mind the hotel is in the process of building a second tower next door. It's not scheduled to open until summer 2017, so depending on which side of the building you're on, your room might overlook a construction site.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:12 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by MS02113
The rooms are of similar quality to Hyatt's, but the grounds obviously aren't as sprawling. There's also no spa, if that's of any interest.

Otherwise, staff are friendly and helpful, and dining options are reasonably good.

My corporate rate includes parking, so I've only used the hotel's valet service.

A bit disappointing. The hotel issues two $10 vouchers per night for the on-site coffee shop, Surf Hero Market. A $10 voucher just about covers a breakfast sandwich and a coffee. The voucher cannot be used toward the breakfast buffet in main restaurant.

Yes, the standard rooms are nice, and pretty much exactly as pictured on Hilton.com.

Keep in mind the hotel is in the process of building a second tower next door. It's not scheduled to open until summer 2017, so depending on which side of the building you're on, your room might overlook a construction site.
Each of +/- 20 nights, the last in September, I received diamond continental breakfast certs for the restaurant.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MS02113
Is this a newer development than Jailer's stays through September?

Originally Posted by Jailer
Each of +/- 20 nights, the last in September, I received diamond continental breakfast certs for the restaurant.
When you received the continental certs, could they be upgraded to a full buffet or other menu item? Did they have a dollar value, meaning I could skip a day and use 2 together the following day?
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:09 pm

Is this a newer development than Jailer's stays through September?

When you received the continental certs, could they be upgraded to a full buffet or other menu item? Did they have a dollar value, meaning I could skip a day and use 2 together the following day?
Probably, as they generally have a pretty casual attitude and I particularly remember using six accrued certs for seven people and it was considered close enough.

The Continentals have a cash value that can be applied to menu items or the full buffet so, if me, I just throw double certs at the wait staff saying that, "since I couldn't make breakfast yesterday I thought I go the whole hog today." I guess they could deny, but why would a tip-centric employee make a fuss?

I'd be surprised if the Hilton changed their Diamond policy after so many years, but I probably shouldn't be.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
I have stayed here twice in the last three weeks. The construction has now taken over most of the lobby. However, the staff is remarkably friendly, helpful, and interested in assisting guests.

I am gold and was given the continental breakfast certificates once but not the other time. The cash value was $15 and could be applied to anything else on the menu. Considering an omelet was $16, it was a pretty good value.

Someone somewhere on this thread once mentioned that this particular hotel seems to somehow have a way of presenting fruit in a way that is so much more attractive than most other hotels and I must agree. It's funny how noticeable it is.

The continental breakfast that the $15 certificate includes is basically a visit to the cold side (plus oatmeal) of the buffet, so cut fresh fruit, yogurts, danishes, breads, muffins, cereals, milk, juices, whole fruit, granola, and oatmeal. It is not European style so no cheeses or meats, but the variety of yogurts is quite good as well as the fresh bakery items.

In addition, gold members receive a voucher for 20% off at the restaurant for dinner. I'm not certain if diamonds receive the same or a better discount, but the prices are not exorbitant so the 20% off voucher brings it down to frankly the same price as you would be paying anywhere else, and since the parking is valet only and we did not feel like going through the hassle of getting the car, it worked well for us for dinner. (The salmon is pretty good, and Kobe burger is colossal.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.