Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:15 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by cme17
Thank you -Ł15 isn't too bad. We check in later today so hopefully we will get your room!
If there are any issues, show them the date of your booking to verify that you made the booking when it was still a Hilton. There should be no problem.

This happened to me at another hotel that was rebranded a Waldorf. They apparently already had a notation that I was to get breakfast due to the timing of my booking.

The Caledonian is a wonderful hotel. I was there when it was pretty crowded but I still got a nice Castle View room (regular King). I also got surprised with a basket of fruit, a bottle of wine and some little desserts to make up for not being able to upgrade me further!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: HHonnors Diamond, AA Gold, UA Silver
The hotel will Likely take care of you regarding breakfast, however in their defense they announced to the world well over a year ago that they will switch to a wf and had renovations scheduled for the hotel prior to the brand change... since you can only book rooms one year out you would have been aware at booking that you would stay at a wf not a Hilton.

Again, the service level at the Daley is top notch and I would guess they will take care of you... With that said if yo read the read print on their booking screen when you booked your room you were told about the switch so this isn't or at least shouldn't be a surprise
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by gbearbuck
The hotel will Likely take care of you regarding breakfast, however in their defense they announced to the world well over a year ago that they will switch to a wf and had renovations scheduled for the hotel prior to the brand change... since you can only book rooms one year out you would have been aware at booking that you would stay at a wf not a Hilton.

Again, the service level at the Daley is top notch and I would guess they will take care of you... With that said if yo read the read print on their booking screen when you booked your room you were told about the switch so this isn't or at least shouldn't be a surprise
Have checked in. No upgrade and no mention of breakfast - will ask at checkout. I had assumed that Diamonds got free breakfast at all properties - it is our first stay at a WA. Will remember that for the next booking!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:59 am

Have checked in. No upgrade and no mention of breakfast - will ask at checkout. I had assumed that Diamonds got free breakfast at all properties - it is our first stay at a WA. Will remember that for the next booking!
Ask for alister the conceirge, explain your predicament and see if he can help... Andrew one of the servers who works the morning breakfast shift will also go out of his way to help if he can (hence the reason I remember both of their names). I haven't been to the caley in the last nine months so not sure either are still There
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sethb
It's still a Hilton property, just a different brand. (See their web site, which has a Hilton HHonors link right next to the Waldorf Astoria link.)
My mistake. Keeping up with all the brands and which direction they salute in the morning is tough to keep up with. I have read many posts where the property gets reflagged and the guest is left guessing what's going to happen.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: HH diamond
Breakfast is NOT a Diamond benefit for WA except where the hotel specifies (e.g., Rome Cavalieri).
Actually WA don't really offer too much in terms of benefits.

Since you booked a Hilton, you can show the confirmation of your booking to verify that it really was still a Hilton at the time of your booking.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Breakfast is NOT a Diamond benefit for WA except where the hotel specifies (e.g., Rome Cavalieri).
Actually WA don't really offer too much in terms of benefits.

Since you booked a Hilton, you can show the confirmation of your booking to verify that it really was still a Hilton at the time of your booking.
True it never hurts to ask, but I generally look at Reflagings as just that, in this case although the Hotel still remained within the Hilton family,I wouldnt expect anything that a WA doesnt have to produce. No different then say it went from a Hilton to a Marriott and the person has no status with MR.

I found that with most Reflagings that any Benefits I would have gotten under the old Hotel are Not carried forward to the new Brand and in many cases with a Non-refundable res you are SOL, sometimes the new Brand Hotel will let you out of a non-refundable res but many dont
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by craz
True it never hurts to ask, but I generally look at Reflagings as just that, in this case although the Hotel still remained within the Hilton family,I wouldnt expect anything that a WA doesnt have to produce. No different then say it went from a Hilton to a Marriott and the person has no status with MR.

I found that with most Reflagings that any Benefits I would have gotten under the old Hotel are Not carried forward to the new Brand and in many cases with a Non-refundable res you are SOL, sometimes the new Brand Hotel will let you out of a non-refundable res but many dont
I agree. I don't think we have much leverage to ask for something that we were expecting at the time of booking. It sucks of course as we chose properties based on certain criteria, but as you pointed out in the situation of a hotel leaving the brand completely the new brand will not be required to provide anything. I believe that hotels should at least allow free cancellations in such situations.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SW A-List Preferred
Hopefully it all turns out well. I stayed there about a year ago and if the staff is as helpful now as they were then, I'm sure you'll get a good result.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Got a call regarding my email to the hotel yesterday afternoon and they offered free breakfast today which was appreciated and saved us Ł40.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:06 pm

Good to hear. IMO the service level at the caley is second to none (and that's saying something... heck, just this morning I checked out of the Waldorf Chicago and that has a heck of a good reputation).
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by craz
If I pre-paid for a reservation that provided X, Y, and Z then the hotel and I have a contract. If the new owner decides not to honor it, then I have a cause of action against the entity that I originally paid (and in the case of Hilton, my pre-pays have generally been to Hilton Corporate, which is a lot easier to find than the previous owner of a specific hotel).
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
If I pre-paid for a reservation that provided X, Y, and Z then the hotel and I have a contract. If the new owner decides not to honor it, then I have a cause of action against the entity that I originally paid (and in the case of Hilton, my pre-pays have generally been to Hilton Corporate, which is a lot easier to find than the previous owner of a specific hotel).
But would not your contract be for a guaranteed room on specific dates? Elite benefits do not constitute a part of the contract. They are provided at Hhonors properties (and can be changed without your consent), so when a hotel leaves the programme you can't force new owners to deliver the benefits promised by the previous owner.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Andriyko
But would not your contract be for a guaranteed room on specific dates? Elite benefits do not constitute a part of the contract. They are provided at Hhonors properties (and can be changed without your consent), so when a hotel leaves the programme you can't force new owners to deliver the benefits promised by the previous owner.
When I pre-paid, the contract was for what their website offered me at the time I paid.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:37 pm
Suspended

When I pre-paid, the contract was for what their website offered me at the time I paid.
I dont agree, and I highly doubt had instead of becoming a WA they went say Independent that you would have ended up with a stay credit or any HH pts.

I know with SPG that according to their T&Cs you would be SOL if the Hotel decided not to let you out of the res and you would get ZIPPO from SPG and no benefits need be provided by the Hotel since they were no longer with the program

The contact is for what is written on your res, thusly status benefits and Stay credit and pts would all be at the discreation of the Hotel. And when you joined up to the program you agreed to this, even if you never actually read thru all the membership materials

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.