Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter {US-CA}

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter {US-CA}

Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:55 am

Angry Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Business Lounge

Was there for a week and didn't take along a laptop, figured I could get my email checked at the business lounge. Imagine my surprise when I found out it was $.70 a minute to use their computer. I groused about it having never encountered this anywhere else, you'd figure for a $300/night property they'd throw in free internet.

Anyone else encountered this anywhere else?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jlabsher
Was there for a week and didn't take along a laptop, figured I could get my email checked at the business lounge. Imagine my surprise when I found out it was $.70 a minute to use their computer. I groused about it having never encountered this anywhere else, you'd figure for a $300/night property they'd throw in free internet.

Anyone else encountered this anywhere else?
I was at the Embassy Suites Anaheim South and had problems with their internet & my laptop so went down to print out a map, and it was I think .40 per minute to use their computer even if you don't access the internet. My room was only $189 per night but still nickel and diming.

Lance
Old Jun 8, 2006, 1:29 pm
Community Director Emerita

Chicago Hilton has a 24 hour business center with service by an outside provider at $.69 a minute. I certainly found it distasteful, and waited til a nearby Kinkos was open to check email.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 9:34 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Any recent stays to report???

Is internet still free? How about the lounge? Any improvements?

Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2006, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
San Diego Gaslamp Hilton - Renovations

Just a heads up!

This hilton has closed its top 3 floors for renovations including the lounge. They plan a complete redo of each room with new furniture/carpets. Should take a few weeks still.

BTW, as a Diamond they upgraded me to a large room next door. Great room. Great service. Got coupons for the breakfast buffet plus a choice of welcome amenities. ^
Old Jan 26, 2007, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL FO, US SP, SPG G, HH S, PC PLT
bump

Any new input regarding this property?

Thanks All

SCA
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:06 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
Originally Posted by SAnger3494
Any new input regarding this property?...
Any specific questions? Generally a good hotel stay, with upgrades (as a diamond), breakfast, great location, etc.

My rooms have all been nice, when I've gotten the a loft room the ceilings are higher and seem nicely appointed, and maybe quieter than others (not so much traffic).

Downside is valet parking only, if you are trying to save $ by self-parking. But, if you are trying to save $ don't stay here anyway, as it's a little pricey.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Fire in Hilton Gaslamp San Diego-- 21 July

This morning-- in the laundry area. At about 7:30

They evacuated the hotel, I was in the middle of trying to get an omlette!

Rolled about 10 fire truck, i guess they got it under control pretty quickly, but still smelled all of smoke downstairs in the restaurant area.

Being a responsible FT member, should I ask for Comp?

Go Phillies!
Cheers YTJK

Last edited by ytjk; Jul 21, 2007 at 11:46 am
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:34 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ytjk

Being a responsible FT member, should I ask for Comp?
Unless the evac was handled badly, you were displaced for several hours or your property damaged, no. Things like this happen and from what you shared, it appears they handled the situation correctly, by getting the guests out quickly and safely.

Be thankful that it was contained to the laundry and that no one was injured (I assume since you didn't list that in your post).
Old Jul 21, 2007, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation for the record

I'm going on record to say today and in the future if you are temporary inconvenienced because of a false, faulty, fire alarm test or actual fire alarm, you should NOT receive compensation!

Be more concerned that there is an evacuation plan in place and all guests are safe!
Old Jul 21, 2007, 1:11 pm

LOL - what record?

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
I'm going on record to say today and in the future if you are temporary inconvenienced because of a false, faulty, fire alarm test or actual fire alarm, you should NOT receive compensation!

Be more concerned that there is an evacuation plan in place and all guests are safe!
Comes off as just a bit self-important, eh? At least you didn't tell the OP to research "fire alarm compensation" using the search feature.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Comes off as just a bit self-important, eh? At least you didn't tell the OP to research "fire alarm compensation" using the search feature.
YES! The OP asked....and I gave my opinion.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was kind of joking about the comp-- maybe you could tell by the "responsible FT member" (as if that exists)!

But, believe me, when it smells like smoke, and the half the hotel that's not awake yet is told to put pants on and run down 7 flights of stairs as fast as they can, most people don't consider that as pleasant as a normal wake-up call....

Altogether it took about an hour...

I wonder if people would have different thoughts if it happened at 3 AM.

Last edited by ytjk; Jul 21, 2007 at 2:29 pm
Old Jul 21, 2007, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by ytjk
I was kind of joking about the comp-- maybe you could tell by the "responsible FT member" (as if that exists)!

But, believe me, when it smells like smoke, and the half the hotel that's not awake yet is told to put pants on and run down 7 flights of stairs as fast as they can, most people don't consider that as pleasant as a normal wake-up call....

Altogether it took about an hour...

I wonder if people would have different thoughts if it happened at 3 AM.
There are quite a number of threads asking these questions on this and other hotel chain forums on FT.

Many of us have experienced middle-of-the-night "wake-up calls" either from false or real fire alarms (myself included, on more than one occasion), and generally, don't expect anything in compensation.

I have also been inconvenienced during the daytime when an actual fire occurred at a hotel (in one of the guest rooms -- fortunately not mine nor my family members'), causing a lengthy disruption in restaurant service (even though the fire itself was far from the restaurant -- safety precautions) and then evacuation; and again, no compensation given or really expected.

(BTW, these incidents all happened to occur at Starwood hotels rather than Hilton, FWIW. Not that I would expect compensation from one chain but not another. It WAS good to know that the fire alarm system and the fire department response WORKED in the case of the burned guest room -- which I got a glimpse into later on!)

Anyhow, not a new question by any means.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 6:16 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
Post Comp fo evacuation

I just got 5,000 Starpoints for false fire evac at 2.30am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.