Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2005, 9:59 am

Just Back

We just returned from staying at the San Diego Gaslamp and although it is a nice hotel, in a great area, but it is not worth the extra $$$$$.
Parking at $21.00 a night is over the top also!

Last edited by Jack; Jan 31, 2005 at 10:03 am
Old Jan 31, 2005, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool Hilton's lose is *wood's gain.

I gave up on Hilton's in SAN. Looks like I'm going *wood.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I gave up on Hilton's in SAN. Looks like I'm going *wood.
You have to remember SAN has a lot going on almost all the time. If you want to stay downtown, you will have to pay for the fun. There are a lot of properties that have great rates, you just have to look for them.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 5:39 pm

Locations is great, but not that great

The Hilton Gaslamp location is great, but now way would I pay that much for it!
Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:14 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Red face The price is lower.

I just checked today and they lowered the price to $269. It seems that the rates on a number of hotels came down.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA - Gold Hilton - Diamond
Smile

The hotel is next to the Convention Center (one of the busiest in the country) and Petco Park (the Padres baseball stadium) and right in the middle of the historic Gaslamp District (night life) so especially during a Padres homestand, if you stay...you pay.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, 1MM; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
San Diego Gaslamp: Enclave loft vs. executive room

I've checked out a Google search for this topic, but couldn't find this particular comparison made...

Planning on trying the Hilton San Diego Gaslamp this weekend for an Easter retreat. Pricing for the executive level rooms is coming out about the same as the Enclave Tower loft rooms...does anyone have any comparisons of the two, and which is preferrable? I'm just a lowly Gold so I'm not holding my breath for anything better than these rooms.

Are the "loft" rooms basically just the standard rooms but with higher ceilings? Any nicer furnishings/larger rooms than the executive rooms? Thanks for any help,

WNLuvr
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:29 am

Don't Hope for Much

We stayed in Jan and as diamonds we received up grade to executive floor, as we should have. If you aren't paying for a loft you aren't going to get up graded to one.

For my two cents this hotel is not worth the nightly room charge and the parking fee, unless you are getting some super discounted rate. We will stay at another Hilton when we next are in San Diego.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:49 am

Other choices

Hilton Gaslamp was cool but expensive. Gold upgrade to exec floor was no big deal, just closer to lounge. No good views. No real difference otherwise.
We also stayed at ES with an upgrade to harbor view with a balcony. Much better deal with the lounge drinks/ appetizers in the evening. Next we stayed at the W Hotel. Rooftop bar with sand beach firepit was a real cool surprise, especially on the weekend when the locals came out to party dressed to the nines. Line to get in lobby bar was around the block but guests (especially SPG Gold+) are treated like royalty.
But being the loyal HH Gold we are, we'd pick the ES agian, the suite sized room and balcony w/ view are unbeatable.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:11 pm

I stayed there four nights last week (convention center convenience) -- they treated me well as a Diamond.

1. upgrade to the upper level view room I wanted and had requested in advance (hotel sold out)
2. 2 thirsty bathrobes in the room, nothing broken in the room
3. high speed internet in the room (free)
4. front desk/concierge polite and helpful (recommended upscale seafood restaurant with view: Star of the Sea, 15 minute walk along the water -- excellent food!)
5. easy access to everything
6. heated pool, air-conditioned exercise area, spa on premises for the women who need manicures, haircuts, etc.

Downside: exec lounge has a nice view but is only open for breakfast and it's a very simple continental breakfast at that with almost no choices (one kind of bread, cereal, uninspiring fruit, and on one day there were some uninteresting Danish), in a tiny room with three tables and a TV area -- all it took was one guy with his wife and 3 kids up there to take over and ruin the whole atmosphere.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, US, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Greg76248
The Hilton Gaslamp location is great, but now way would I pay that much for it!
I've never thought of the Gaslamp district as having all that much to offer, but then again, I didn't know about flytertalk then so I probably missed the best parts!
Old Jun 15, 2005, 5:59 pm

Programs: SWA, UA, Delta, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I stayed there for $250/night...not that bad of rate until you consider an additional $24/night to park...there are definitely better hotels in SD area
Old Jun 15, 2005, 6:49 pm

No way

Paid $199/nt on business in May. Nice place, especially the lobby bar and great location. But I'll never pay that much again. Try the ES on the bay 6 blocks away. As Gold I moved after 2 nights for the view from the 12th floor bayfront balcony suite and free drinks at the reception. San Diego was a fun town.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 7:58 pm

I checked out the rates for a trip last January and the rates were too high. I picked up the Raddison (1646 FRONT STREET) on Priceline for $57 a night. I did not get Hilton stay credits, but for $57 I was not going to complain.

(Edited to correct price)

Last edited by BF263533; Jun 15, 2005 at 8:03 pm
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:54 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

YIKES My memory lives on of my own visit

Originally Posted by ermdjdsj
I stayed there four nights last week (convention center convenience) -- they treated me well as a Diamond.

1. upgrade to the upper level view room I wanted and had requested in advance (hotel sold out)
2. 2 thirsty bathrobes in the room, nothing broken in the room
3. high speed internet in the room (free)
4. front desk/concierge polite and helpful (recommended upscale seafood restaurant with view: Star of the Sea, 15 minute walk along the water -- excellent food!)
5. easy access to everything
6. heated pool, air-conditioned exercise area, spa on premises for the women who need manicures, haircuts, etc.

Downside: exec lounge has a nice view but is only open for breakfast and it's a very simple continental breakfast at that with almost no choices (one kind of bread, cereal, uninspiring fruit, and on one day there were some uninteresting Danish), in a tiny room with three tables and a TV area -- all it took was one guy with his wife and 3 kids up there to take over and ruin the whole atmosphere.
Bingo
I agree with the exec lounge assessment.
This was the only reasons I never went back. The Hyatt Manchester across the street has an executive lounge that is superior in evey way. And it has a professional welcoming staff.I can't believe that this hotel still puts out a poor selection in one of the most important high occupancy cities in the country.
It really is a blow to the Hilton standard which IMO has a very good track record with Excecutive lounges worldwide.
It must be owners that are penny pinching.
At those rates there is no excuse for the dismal offerings.

FYI 30 minutes before the lounge closed I asked if there was anymore fruit as they had run out.She said to come back the next day..........
That next day I was back at the Hyatt across the steret.
The Hilton property needs to try harder and deliver more.
It's a great hotel city with many compelling choices.It didn't work for me

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 18, 2005 at 10:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.