Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Sonoma Wine Country {US-CA} [closed due to fire Oct 2017]

Hilton Sonoma Wine Country {US-CA} [closed due to fire Oct 2017]

Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Well, a subsequent video actually shows that part of the property appears to be intact. But overall it's a major hit to the property.

Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:38 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
It’s a huge spread out property so hopefully some can be salvaged

But honestly, reading the comments that the fire alarms didn’t work in several buildings and employees had to run and knock on doors to get folks to evacuate – based on our recent stay there I would say the deferred maintenance problems are way more serious than we even would’ve guessed. Glad everyone got out safely.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Property map here from Tripadvisor. Bad quality.

Link - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Location...html#100002253

This photo of Hilton Sonoma Wine Country is courtesy of TripAdvisor

But looks like Riesling, Chardonnay and Chablis wings around the pool are fine.
Zinfandel and Beaujolis wings near the rear carpark look destroyed, as well as I suspect Cabernet and Burgundy where flames appeared visible through the smoke.

The first picture of the sign I assume is out the front which would suggest the main building and ballrooms also gone
mrredskin likes this.

Last edited by moa999; Oct 9, 2017 at 8:22 pm
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:10 pm

Some scary reports on that FB page

We were there last night - Chablis Bldg Rm 18xx. At 2:15 am another guest banged on our door advising FIRE...electricity was out - No Fire Alarms sounding, and NO EMERGENCY LIGHTING - pitch black. NOTHING! Thank God for our neighbors warning...one of our instructors and his wife were in the Burgundy Bldg. Same experience. We assisted evacuating a Horizon Airlines crew of 3 dropped off after their run last night to the hotel and now stranded with no ride when the fire hit. We drive them to SF after getting out of the hotel...EVERYBODY experienced the same. No electricity, NO Fire Alarms - AND NO EMERGENCY LIGHTING! Pitch black, trying to find our way out of the blds and no phone calls, alarms OR ASSISTANCE from your staff. We Pray all guests got out of there.... feel free to contact me xxxxx
We were staying in the burgundy building too. A wonderful male Hilton employee evacuated us by running through the hallways telling us to get up, the fire is here. We left with the clothes on our back. My husband didn't have time to put on his shoes. I'm sure all our belongings plus one of our cars is lost....we have our lives.
Thank goodness for that guy. We were in the Chardonnay building. Grabbed purse and ran in our pj's
My husband & I were in Burgundy Room 21xx. We heard no alarm just someone running down the hall shouting Fire and Evacuate. We left in a hurry and had to leave behind some belongings.
Us too. No light, no alarm, just a man running down the hall. Rm 21xx
Ditto 16xx. I wonder who he was. Life saver. Literally.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Originally Posted by moa999
Some scary reports on that FB page
Wow makes me wonder how many other Hilton hotels are out there with a lack of working fire alarms. This is a basic standard that I expect and demand from a major brand. Just like many of us have noticed Hilton allow hotels slip on standards.. but now we have to worry if hotels are making sure these lifesaving systems are working. Shocked! Thank God everyone got out. Someone running around getting people out?!?!?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by little_dc
other Hilton hotels are out there with a lack of working fire alarms. This is a basic standard that I expect and demand from a major brand.
Not totally clear that fire/smoke alarms weren't working. I suspect at the time people were evacuated that the fire was still approaching - albeit a bush fire is very different to a normal fire that a smoke alarm is designed for so you'd want to be out well before an in room alarm triggered.

The big issue from my viewpoint is seemingly lack of emergency lighting, and some form of master evacuation alarm that could be triggered once the power went out.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Property map here from Tripadvisor. Bad quality.

Link - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Location...html#100002253

This photo of Hilton Sonoma Wine Country is courtesy of TripAdvisor
Actually courtesy of Autumn_Lovin_Girl, posted on TA. Sorry, but a pet peeve of mine.
mrredskin likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Totally gone.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
More info and video.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...ed-by-wildfire

Cheers,
LBBZman
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:25 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Totally gone.
Actually reports show the lower buildings (to the far side of the pool) still standing with little or no damage.

Last edited by stc; Oct 10, 2017 at 9:36 am
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Not totally clear that fire/smoke alarms weren't working. I suspect at the time people were evacuated that the fire was still approaching - albeit a bush fire is very different to a normal fire that a smoke alarm is designed for so you'd want to be out well before an in room alarm triggered.
Yes, but can't most fire alarm systems be triggered manually? Surely someone on staff would have attempted to pull the fire alarm handle??
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Yes, but can't most fire alarm systems be triggered manually? Surely someone on staff would have attempted to pull the fire alarm handle??

Right.. It is more of an evacuation alarm. Fire yes should have an automatic smoke / heat system.. yet.. the hotel should have a system that works to evacuate or do a mass announcement to shelter in place. These systems are outlined in the Hilton standards for hotels.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:33 pm

But looks like Riesling, Chardonnay and Chablis wings around the pool are fine.
Zinfandel and Beaujolis wings near the rear carpark look destroyed, as well as I suspect Cabernet and Burgundy where flames appeared visible through the smoke.
An updated photo from SFGate seems to confirm that.

Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
After reading this, I will make sure to check emergency exists next time I stay in hotel. Last picture is a bit scary, nothing left, but trees are fine.
JDiver and beachmouse like this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Television news coverage of the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country burning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.