Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Sonoma Wine Country {US-CA} [closed due to fire Oct 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sonoma Wine Country {US-CA} [closed due to fire Oct 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by cordelli
Do a search on either napa or sonoma here and you will find several very detailed and excellent reviews of all the hiltons out there.
I second this suggestion.

When someone asks, "Has anyone ever stayed at....?" (fill in popular destination) on FlyerTalk, it's a dead giveaway they haven't done their homework.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:46 pm

You can also check on tripadvisor.com for customer and guide book reviews on most hotels. Just enter a city or a specific hotel and you can get reviews that are usually very current. Of course, take individual reviews with a grain of salt jto account for variances just as we do we on FT. I have found the Trip Advisor reviews to be very informative usually. It's also a great source for hotels worldwide as well as in the USA.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
I was at the Hilton Santa Rosa last year, the first weekend they opened a couple of the newly renovated buildings. There were serious hot water issues, but they ended up refunding our reward stay points for both nights because of it, and the desk staff were brilliant in handling the whole situation.

From purely a winery point of view, I'd recommend staying at the Hilton if you're more interested in exploring Sonoma wineries, particularly the Russian River Valley. You're right there for that -- the Hilton has a great location with respect to Highway 101, and you're just a short drive north to Healdsburg, which is right where many of the best pinot noir producers in the country are.

On the other hand, if you're going to split your time fairly evenly between Napa and Sonoma, the DT at Rohnert Park will give you a little more mobility between the two valleys.

If you -- or anyone else -- is interested in more info on Napa/Sonoma wineries, I've got a ton of stuff on them. I can send you a spreadsheet, though I qualify that with the disclaimer that it's wineries that I'm interested in, so you'll find it heavy on the pinot producers. It has been newly updated, however, since I'm getting ready for another reward stay of my own at the Hilton Santa Rosa. Of course, I'll make a report when I get there and back next month.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
If you were not set on using HHonors points, I would recommend instead that you consider either the Renaissance Sonoma or Sheraton Petaluma. Both are top notch properties that can often be had quite cheaply on priceline. IMO, better locations as well (the Ren is very close to the main square in Sonoma, the Sheraton is right off 101).
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:20 pm

I just finished a 2-night stay (Friday and Saturday) at Hilton Sonoma Wine Country, which is in Santa Rosa right off the 101.

1. I had booked a "deluxe" room. I was assigned a room that was nice enough (they called it a "junior executive suite" -- which was basically one fairly large room with a sofa/TV area, couldn't see the TV from the bed), but it was not in the Hilton Honors Building and was quite a long walk from the main building where the restaurant and meeting rooms are. I don't think this was an upgrade, they didn't say anything about an upgrade when I checked in.

The room was pretty dark (generally needed lights on in the room during the day) had small windows that looked out at a tree and the pool beyond, which was full of children at times when one would want to swim. The jacuzzi was also full of children (making their presence very known), as was the room opposite mine and the room next to mine (the children there were also making their presence known, though the insulation wasn't as bad as I've seen some places).

The room (upper floor, or 3rd floor) had a nice vaulted ceiling, a little refrigerator, comfortable enough, everything worked reasonably well except for the stopper in the bathroom sink.

In the room was a generic welcoming letter telling me I could use 2 bottles of water for free, after that it'd be $3/bottle, and if I needed anything else I should call the front desk (no special diamond person to call).

2. Wayport internet access in the room worked ok, especially if you held your laptop at a particular angle while sitting on the bed instead of at the desk.

3. Check-in staff were friendly, check-in lobby was beautiful as was the restaurant and the view from the restaurant, Nectar.

4. At check-in we were offered either continental breakfast for two for each of the two days ($8 coupon value against the menu), or a split of wine, or dessert at Nectar. We opted for the breakfast: the first day it was fine enough for a continental (wide selection of breakfast pastries, cereal, fruit, muffins, hard-boiled eggs, yoghurt, juices, good coffee service at the table) though it was a little hard to locate glasses to pour juice into (you're apparently supposed to bring the glasses from your table) The second day there were no pastries and only muffins + the other stuff and they were very low on fruit.

You could upgrade to the full breakfast with eggs, sausage, bacon, french toast, for a couple dollars more (I did this the second day, though had trouble finding a big plate for the hot food so I used two mini-plates from the continental buffet, and they were out of bacon). Service was spotty this day, might have been because they were trying to set up for the big Sunday buffet that was to follow.

5. I used up my in-room coffee the first day and expected it to be cleaned and replaced for the second day. It was not (it's area is kind of hidden in a cabinet, perhaps that is why the maid overlooked it)-- the old coffee dregs were still there from the day before so when I woke up glazed and ready to caffeinate, there was no new coffee (this in-room coffee is a Hilton feature I really count on!). I called housekeeping, got a voicemail. I called the front desk, they said they'd send some right up. They did not -- 45 minutes later, still nothing, so I just went to the restaurant (I suspect they probably just called and left a voicemail with housekeeping).

6. I did not eat anything but breakfast at their restaurant, but their dinner menu looked pretty good. I had one great dinner five minutes away in Santa Rosa at
Willi's Wine Bar (it's on opentable.com) -- they serve scrumptious little plates with an option of 2 ounze, 5 ounze, 1/2 or full bottles of about 40 different wonderful open Sonoma area wines. I highly recommend this restaurant! It's very popular, so reserve a table.

7. Access to Sonoma County wineries is quite reasonable -- Healdsburg and its wineries are 12 miles north, wineries off of Hwy 12 in both directions are about 15 minutes away, Sonoma Valley itself with alls its wineries and the town are about 10 minutes further. No problem with a car (and air conditioning).

OVERALL: an ok place, maybe a little lacking in extra service for Diamonds, I liked it much better than the Napa Embassy Suites which I found to be an unpleasant zoo. I paid $165/night booked well in advance (it was up to $220 for short-notice booking), not bad for wine country. Usually I stay at pricier nice inns or B&Bs up there as most of my trips there are for leisure, but this Hilton gives a nice option of last-minute booking and last-day cancellation without penalty if something comes up, and also option for just a one-night stay if you want that, which most of the nice B&Bs don't let you do on a weekend (AND you get Hilton points or can use them there!)
Old Jun 19, 2006, 10:31 am

Programs: DL FO, US SP, SPG G, HH S, PC PLT
any current reports

bump

Thanks for any updates. We are lloking into buying a wine label in the area and have some upcoming visists to the area.

Thanks all

SCA
Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:01 pm

Location: Port Angeles, WA, USA Unwanted by AS, Hilton-Diamond, Starwood Platnum
Originally Posted by SAnger3494
bump

Thanks for any updates. We are lloking into buying a wine label in the area and have some upcoming visists to the area.

Thanks all

SCA
Just returned from Sonoma area and stayed at both the Hilton and the Doubletree. Preferred the Doubletree over the Hilton. Mission style/motif with an enclosed courtyard/pool area. The Hilton generally disappointed with the exception of sitting around the firepit having drinks in the evening. Stayed at the Hilton several years ago as well and I can say there has been NO improvement in recognition of Diamonds. My only gripe about the Doubletree was the OUTRAGEOUS fee for using a computer.

Toured Windsor (a nitch player that does private labels), Gloria Ferrer (Bubbly) fabulous views of the Carneros Valley and Cline which had some First Rate Zins, several of which can only be purchased at the winery. There is a nice Deli across the street from Gloria's Driveway. Cline is less than a mile down the road so it's easy to spend half a day just in this one area. Don't miss the building at Cline housing the models of 21 (I think) Missions.

http://www.windsorvineyards.com
http://www.clinecellars.com we liked the 2004 Live Oak Zinfandal best ^
http://www.gloriaferrer.com

Last edited by Superd1; Jun 20, 2006 at 8:15 am
Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:41 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
I stayed a few months ago at the HGI Napa. I had an unbelievable stay! As a Diamond, I was upgraded to a huge suite with jacuzzi tub and nice view. Although the location stunk, I'd recommend it as a good base of operations in the Napa/Sonoma area.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:55 pm

Had a second stay recently at the Santa Rosa Hilton Sonoma Wine Country (see my previous 9/05 post to compare), was a bit disappointed in the high noise level but it was a Saturday night stay which may attract more families, kids, party girls, and drunks (see below), none of which is very relaxing, especially when the walls are pretty thin.

Not much has changed in terms of diamond recognition (only recognition was that I got a choice of free internet, free breakfast, or a free drink). Not even a welcome letter, and we already know there's no lounge.

Had booked a room described as having a "lanai" hoping for peaceful outside work on my laptop on a beautiful day (I felt a little claustrophobic previously with the upstairs room with only high windows). What the website doesn't tell you is that the "lanai" is a table outside your sliding doors with COMMUNAL access to all the other rooms that have "lanais", so there is a constant parade of people past your windows (drunken college girls, running children, dudes, etc.) and in the morning I even found a half-dressed lovie-dovie couple sitting with their dirty feet up on MY lanai table in front of my room where I'd hoped to sip my morning coffee (as opposed to sitting at THEIR table next door -- guess they got too drunk the night before, judging by the racket I heard through the adjoining door, to recognize whose table is whose).

Early in the evening I'd been working on my computer and heard loud kids in the hall. I thought it'd pass, but when it didn't for over 15 minutes, I went down a few steps in the hall and found that there were about 9 little boys between ages 8-12 who had turned the between-building 3-seater lounge or staging area into a playroom complete with yelling screaming, toy trucks, etc. I complained to the tired looking adult who was with them and they left, but later I heard more commotion running down the halls.

Around 9:30 I'd already spent an hour listening to crude, gross screaming coming in bursts from the pool. Some party girls had put balloons in the pool and were, frankly, out of control. I called the front desk and they told me well, the pool will be closing at 10PM anyway (it did -- that's when they moved next door to me on the other side of the adjoining door and continued their carousing there !!! )

The place may be terrific mid-week when the kiddies and party animals aren't out, but I'd be hesitant to book there again on a weekend and if I do it'll be a room as far away from the pool as possible, WITHOUT a lanai.

BTW, for a terrific off the beaten path near-by dinner alternative to the hotel restaurant, try WILLI'S WINE BAR just a couple miles down the road near the freeway, nice gourmet tapas style plates with individual wine pairings options, open all hours of the day, except Tuesdays .
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:09 am

The Doubletree is advertising this special:

WINE TASTING PACKAGE INCLUDES - OVERNIGHT ACCOMMODATIONS ~
CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST IN BACCHUS ~ CHOICE OF BOX LUNCH TO
G
O~ A UNIQUE WINE COUNTRY EXPERIENCE WITH CLOS DU BOIS OR
GEY
SER PEAK WINERY ($40 VALUE). FIVE TASTING PASSES AT LOCAL
W
INERIES ($45 VALUE).
It's $17 more/night than the equivalent room w/o the "package" and the package seems worth it if just for the continental breakfast and the daily lunch. Anybody have any idea where the passes work?

The rates here seem ridiculously good. I'm struggling because my husband will have a lot of Hilton points after an upcoming 5 week stay (don't ask) but the rates seem too good to bother using Hilton points. [Same story at the Sheraton in Petaluma - we also have a ton of SPG points, and at the Rennaissance where the rates are more we're having trouble finding nights we can use the points; in any case, we'd only have enough points for 2 nights.]

Any thoughts on how these properties compare with the Embassy Suites in Napa, which have supposedly just been renovated?

Last edited by kersie; Mar 6, 2007 at 11:48 am
Old Mar 10, 2007, 6:03 pm

Programs: aa exp, 4.4mm; hh diamond
Has anyone else noticed that the pattern on the bathroom wallpaper at the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country is - ahem - gynecologic?
Old Nov 3, 2007, 5:49 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by haruspex
Has anyone else noticed that the pattern on the bathroom wallpaper at the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country is - ahem - gynecologic?
Only if a forest is. It is pine trees. Give it a break.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 5:53 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gutt22
Thanks for the update, PremEx! I'm really happy to hear that the opening-weekend kinks have been worked out. I have to say, the front desk at the hotel was fantastic. Really friendly, professional, and accommodating. The remodeled rooms are very nice. I don't think there's any reason to shy away from this hotel.
For the record, I'm on my first stay at the Sonoma Hilton in 2-3 years and I'm pleasantly surprised. It is much better than it used to be and better that the DT in Rohnert Park currently is.

Update after stay: Well, the Hilton Sonoma still has significant problems. Apparently the temperature control is still either Heat or Cooling. So for example this weekend they have it setup for Cooling but you need Heat at night. I couldn't get my room over about 68 degrees. (At least they fixed the hot water so I could run the shower to heat the bathroom.)

Also, minor, but no free water for Gold / Diamond.

So, while the Hilton Sonoma appears to be better than the Doubletree Rohnert Park, I will probably be boycotting both in future in favor of the Sheraton Petaluma until something changes.

Last edited by stc; Nov 4, 2007 at 10:18 am Reason: more info
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Angry Hilton Sonoma - wrong type of double dip!

Did an Advance Pay back in February for a stay this past September at the Hilton Sonoma. No problem at check-in or check-out, but after I returned to Thailand found that the property had once again charged me on the pre-paid stay.
Contacted the property manager twice - no reply after 2-weeks.
Yes, I'll be disputing the charge, but if not for this properties greed/fraud wouldn't have this problem.
WATCH out if you stay at this hotel

Last edited by BKKLEE; Oct 25, 2010 at 6:52 am Reason: sp
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Did an Advance Pay back in February for a stay this past September at the Hilton Sonoma. No problem at check-in or check-out, but after I returned to Thailand found that the property had once again charged me on the pre-paid stay.
Contacted the property manager twice - no reply after 2-weeks.
Yes, I'll be disputing the charge, but if not for this properties greed/fraud wouldn't have this problem.
WATCH out if you stay at this hotel
I wouldn't quite jump the conclusion that its greed or fraud.. Its probably just a computer or humor error. Mistakes do happen.

Before going to the route of your CC company, you should file a case with Hilton Guest Assistance. Lets them try to get the hotel to respond and if they dont you'd still be able to dispute the charge and might even end up with a My Guest certificate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.